Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Yea, using the bike for my daily commute is probably done, but I'm sure I can still weasel out a few rides on my nice days off. With the way our fall season has gone, we'll see how quickly winter rolls in :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Deeters posted:

My dad just bought one of those a few weeks ago, and it seems like it's a solid off-road bike. I rode it the other day, and having not ridden a modern four stroke in a few years, got a nice reminder of what torque and engine braking feel like.

So far so good. Pulls 65mph on the highway easy, doesn't wheelie spontaneously with the stock carb, but has decent roll-on power.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

OK guys, brace yourself for this. The KLR is cool. Yes, it's official, the KLR IS COOL IN THA HOOD.

Turn yo bass up and blast it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Qg4kIdEAQ. Verbal shout-out to the Kawasaki Long Range comes around 2:14. The song is hilarious though if you can make it from the beginning; it's a home-made rap.

There's more: http://www.youtube.com/user/popthatclutch

In case you think this is a fluke, cf. Jay-Z "99 Problems" timemarks 1:30 and 4:08.

:downs:

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 25, 2009

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

MotoMind posted:

OK guys, brace yourself for this. The KLR is cool. Yes, it's official, the KLR IS COOL IN THA HOOD.

Turn yo bass up and blast it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Qg4kIdEAQ. Verbal shout-out to the Kawasaki Long Range comes around 2:14. The song is hilarious though if you can make it from the beginning; it's a home-made rap.

I wonder if they get chrome doohickeys.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cops can't stop me, cuz I got chrome rims n poo poo :whatup:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

In all seriousness, it takes like .25 seconds to put the side stand down. Unless he just dropped the bike in a blind panic, I don't see why this happened, and if he panics like that, I'd hate to see his reaction to an emergency on the road.

Dunno, I wasn't there. I'm pretty sure his explanation is that the stand wasn't *quite* all the way down, so he got to watch it do a slow motion fall as he was picking up his girlfriend/the SV.

taupoke
Apr 26, 2008

by T. Finninho
How much better would the Suzuki TF125 be than it's much cheaper chinese counterparts? I'm talking about 200cc Velimotors and the like. I'm very tempted to get a chinese bike because they are literally half the price, but there has be be a big catch, I'm assuming they're super lovely quality?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

taupoke posted:

How much better would the Suzuki TF125 be than it's much cheaper chinese counterparts? I'm talking about 200cc Velimotors and the like. I'm very tempted to get a chinese bike because they are literally half the price, but there has be be a big catch, I'm assuming they're super lovely quality?

Ding! You are correct! If you feel like looking for reviews you'll find a plethora of stories about how cables break within days, engines blow within weeks, and while some of them have warranties IF you got it from a dealer, you have to do the work yourself and the parts take forever to get to you. This is a clear cut case of "you get what you pay for."

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MotoMind posted:

There's more: http://www.youtube.com/user/popthatclutch

In case you think this is a fluke, cf. Jay-Z "99 Problems" timemarks 1:30 and 4:08.

Best comment:

icucphoto posted:

so you guys change the doohickeys out on those KLRs?

Hilarious.

Rev 'em up (vroom vroom).

I love it.

taupoke
Apr 26, 2008

by T. Finninho

Doctor Zero posted:

Ding! You are correct! If you feel like looking for reviews you'll find a plethora of stories about how cables break within days, engines blow within weeks, and while some of them have warranties IF you got it from a dealer, you have to do the work yourself and the parts take forever to get to you. This is a clear cut case of "you get what you pay for."

Thought it was too good to be true, but apparently the TF125's have been around for 25 years and just keep on going. Thanks for the advice :)

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

PitViper posted:

I think today is the day I finally "park" the bike for the year. The next week is forecasting for highs in the mid-upper 30's, snow/rain mix, and cold nights. I guess a March-November riding season for Minnesota isn't ALL bad, right? :(

Bummer. Come to NM. Year round riding, especially in the city. Only a couple days of snow and wind bad enough to make open road riding dangerous. I think this last year we had something like 326 days of sunshine.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I just got home from a thanksgiving dinner where I met some new friends of relatives; I met a guy named Miguel Duhamel. It was brought up that I had a motorcycle and we shot the poo poo, he mentioned he used to race a bit so I thought he just meant he took his bike to the track for some fun now and then. He was pretty knowledgeable so it was fun to talk to him about bikes in general.

Just for grins I looked up his name and came across his wikipedia entry. :aaa:
If I didn't live so far away from where I went to visit family for thanksgiving I'd bug this guy to go riding every weekend.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I just got home from a thanksgiving dinner where I met some new friends of relatives; I met a guy named Miguel Duhamel. It was brought up that I had a motorcycle and we shot the poo poo, he mentioned he used to race a bit so I thought he just meant he took his bike to the track for some fun now and then. He was pretty knowledgeable so it was fun to talk to him about bikes in general.

If I didn't live so far away from where I went to visit family for thanksgiving I'd bug this guy to go riding every weekend.

:v:

Yeah, he's pretty famous. Haha.

I actually have a signed poster of his on my wall. :3:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 27, 2009

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BotchedLobotomy posted:

This is beautiful.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Haha, this is like mentioning that you're into acting to your relatives friend, who happens to be named Brad Pitt.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
"I used to race a little bit when I had a sport bike."

A little bit indeed.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Did Miguel seem to be a nice guy? I've heard, from someone that knows him, that he is a dick. But the someone is also known to be a dick too, so...

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
He was definitely nice to me and everyone else, sounds like maybe your friend rubbed him the wrong way, or maybe he's not as friendly when he was racing or something. v:shobon:v

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Brits and other Euro guys! wemoto.com have launched a new(ish) website and are offering 25% discount this weekend. If you've shopped there before you should have received an email with a voucher code. I'm going to take the opportunity to get myself some steel braided brake hoses and some odds and ends.

Quick question before I hit submit, is tapered bearings in the triple tree a worthwhile upgrade? I don't know what's in there and I don't think it's worn but there's an odd feeling to the steering at low speed which I've never been able to put my finger on.

I'll be upgrading the suspension later on, but should I order the (slightly expensive) tapered bearings as well? It will probably be a serious bitch to replace.

edit: gently caress this was supposed to go in the questions thread. double posting for max attention whore

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Whoa Whoa Whoa, What's the deal with plated KLX300s? Is it hard to plate them or something or what?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Ola posted:

Quick question before I hit submit, is tapered bearings in the triple tree a worthwhile upgrade? I don't know what's in there and I don't think it's worn but there's an odd feeling to the steering at low speed which I've never been able to put my finger on.

If (likely) your steering head bearings are worn, you need to replace them anyway, so you might as well upgrade them. It's the same amount of work to replace them with tapered or the stupid individual balls but lubing the tapered is much easier. You need a substantial hammer and a long punch to remove the old races and I usually notch the lower race on the triple tree and crack it with a cold chisel to remove it. You can also press it off if you have a big press.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

There already are tapered bearings in there. You might want to try and lube them before replacing them though. Mine had a funny, almost notchy feeling at low speeds and wandered a bit at high speeds.
When I took it apart I found the bearings were totally dry. As in maybe a bit of sticky grease residue on the tops of them, the bearings themselves were shiny.
After lubing them and tightening them down it feels perfect now.

I didn't have to do a complete disassembly of the front end to get at them. I removed all of the top triple junk and cleaned and packed the bearing. For the bottom, I just jacked up the front of the bike while it was on the center stand. The stem slid out enough for me to clean and repack the lower bearing.
Reassembly took a bit of finesse. You need to guide the stem and bearing back into the steering head of the bike while the front wheel is trying to roll away, at the same time you'll be working the jack and reinstalling the upper bearing and nuts. Just curse a lot and you'll get through it no problem. Or find someone who can do one or more of those things to help.
Well worth it and free as long as you have some wheel bearing grease around.

EDIT: I used the word "them" at least 50 times in this post. Where is my thesaurus?

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 29, 2009

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

MotoMind posted:

KLR IS COOL IN THA HOOD.

Oh my god. These guys roll around my neighborhood all the time. I live just on the edge of Bed Stuy and these guys elicited the same response from me, "Is that a loving KLR?" Loud and annoying as hell, so I guess they're accomplishing their goals.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
I took my TW200 to Moab Utah to ride some of the trails there. Small bikes are so much fun.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

TW200 is the sweetest bike ever. I wouldn't have sold mine if I didn't feel like a circus bear on a tricycle when I rode it, and the suspension didn't buck so much off-road. But air down those massive tires and you've got a high-traction magic carpet ride over the fire roads, that's for sure. Also, nice pic. Looks like mars.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

MotoMind posted:

Looks like mars.

Where do you think they shot all those Mars rover landings? :ssh:

Speaking of bikes and dirt, took my KLR onto a forest/fire road on Friday while up in the West end of Angeles forest (the end that didn't burn down) and despite spending most of it in first going slowly praying to god I didn't wipe out and blow out my knee, it was easily the most fun I had on two wheels since first getting on a bike. I'll take rocks over cagers any day.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
-

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 24, 2020

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Just picked up MotoGP '06 for the Xbox 360 at GameStop for 6 bucks.

Best 6 bucks ever. Hell, i spent half an hour just working on decals for my leathers and bike. (they're not great, but the creator isn't either so meh) drat, I really want the new one now, it makes it easier to wait till I have money for another real bike.

While I'm here anybody else still have '06? There's never anybody to play with online, I'd like to try some multiplayer once I'm done with the GP circuit.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
So there's this drainage thing in my city that runs pretty much the whole length of the city and I think it's rideable and also probably a pretty great shortcut. But what happens when a cop sees you ride up out of it through someones yard and into the street? I'm also almost positive riding along side some train tracks would be a sweet shortcut too.

Is there some sort of standard penalty for doing stupid poo poo like that on a dual sport?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

IAMKOREA posted:

So there's this drainage thing in my city that runs pretty much the whole length of the city and I think it's rideable and also probably a pretty great shortcut. But what happens when a cop sees you ride up out of it through someones yard and into the street? I'm also almost positive riding along side some train tracks would be a sweet shortcut too.

Is there some sort of standard penalty for doing stupid poo poo like that on a dual sport?

They can't ticket what they can't catch, bro.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

IAMKOREA posted:

Any chance for a google maps overview of what drainage paths you are talking about? Is this something similar to the T2 chase scene areas?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I'd worry about getting a flat more the getting a ticket. Probably all sorts of crap in a drainage ditch. Then again I'd love to ride in the Los Angeles River.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

blugu64 posted:

I'd worry about getting a flat more the getting a ticket. Probably all sorts of crap in a drainage ditch. Then again I'd love to ride in the Los Angeles River.

you'd end up running over a body

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

redscare posted:

I know how to swerve.

(gross)

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

redscare posted:

I'm not seeing a downside here. :confused:

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

frozenphil posted:

They can't ticket what they can't catch, bro.

Ohhhhhhhh yes they can.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Man I wish it was a T2 sized drainage area. It's pretty small but easily big enough for a bike or even a small car. It goes straight through the city so almost every side street has a little bridge and you can get in or out of it a lot of places.

I thought having a bike that topped out at 65 mph would make it harder to break the law guess I was wrong.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I saw a dude on a full on easy rider captain america bike today, it was pretty sweet.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Did you see the rider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Unfortunately he was wearing his helmet, and not having it hang from the sissy bar :(