Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Zophar posted:

Art is entertainment.

It can be (and tends to be) but there are plenty of artists who give nary a poo poo nor a gently caress if the audience is entertained. Just because somebody doesn't worship this broad's every move it doesn't mean that person has a stick up his or her rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Happy Hippo posted:

It can be (and tends to be) but there are plenty of artists who give nary a poo poo nor a gently caress if the audience is entertained. Just because somebody doesn't worship this broad's every move it doesn't mean that person has a stick up his or her rear end.

I wasn't the one criticizing you, but your first point is faulty because typically the creator of a work doesn't have the final word on if what they produce is art (or entertainment) or not. Art, it's influence, it's effect and it's value is ultimately decided by the consumer.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!
1. Dance In The Dark
2. Just Dance
3. Beautiful, Dirty, Rich
4. LoveGame
5. Boys, Boys, Boys
6. Alejandro
7. Monster
8. So Happy I Could Die
9. Teeth
10. Poker Face/Make Her Say
11. Speechless
12. Fashion
13. The Fame
14. UNIDENTIFIED NEW SONG
15. Money Honey
16. Paper Gangsta
17. Poker Face
18. Paparazzi
19. Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)
20. Bad Romance

A good line-up but I think it's kinda bloated for an artist who only has 1 LP and 1 EP. She could easily cut So Happy, Boys, Money Honey, and Paper Gangsta and no one would notice. WTF is I Like It Rough?

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

So what, are you quitting to join Homo Explosion?

Doctor Claw posted:

WTF is I Like It Rough?

How dare you. I'm listening to this right now. I like it. It's off The Fame.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Triple Tech posted:

How dare you. I'm listening to this right now. I like it. It's off The Fame.

He meant where is it, wasn't on the setlist.

machinegirl
Apr 16, 2002

*sigh*

Doctor Claw posted:

She could easily cut So Happy, Boys, Money Honey, and Paper Gangsta and no one would notice. WTF is I Like It Rough?

I swear to god, every time I head Paper Gangsta, all I can hear is the drat Venga Bus song she sampled.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Zophar posted:

Art is entertainment.

Gaga is pop because you go where your influences went and follow in their steps in the hopes to go further than they ever could. Bowie and Madonna were pop acts (still are). It could also be argued that irony is a major factor in her performance and you can't be ironic if you don't embody what you're criticizing.

preface: I'm not that good at NMD:R:M :(

Didn't Bowie and the vanguard of glam prove this point as wrong though? Glam rock was the antithesis of hippy rock, equally talented people wanting to break the norm. Though yes, pop is based on what came before it trying to push the envelope.

I do agree that Gaga includes a ton of irony in her performances, which is why I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it is she's trying to do with her music.

She's reached superstardom nearly instantaneously, but she has a winning algorithm for her music... I guess I'm just gonna have to wait and watch.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Doctor Claw posted:

So Happy

Psh, that's one of her best songs. I listen to it way too much.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

Backweb posted:

She's reached superstardom nearly instantaneously, but she has a winning algorithm for her music... I guess I'm just gonna have to wait and watch.

She's not a superstar yet, but her act is very dependent on you believing she's a real superstar. Maybe that is the point?

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

LuckySevens posted:

She's not a superstar yet, but her act is very dependent on you believing she's a real superstar. Maybe that is the point?

You know, that's a very good point that I may have been missing here. What really makes one a superstar or a megastar? I know the Japanese are involved...

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Legato posted:

After reading the thread from beginning to end it's pretty funny to see how the thread has mirrored everyone's conversion from disgust/laughing at Lady GaGa to honest appreciation.

I think it's a natural progression from hearing one single, especially if it's a dance-style single like (hurr) Just Dance and writing her off as a clone of every other dance-pop singer, then hearing the various glam-rock/disco/etc. influences in a lot of her stuff, maybe catching a glimpse of her in a full-body red lace wrap while accepting an award and going "hey, wait a minute, maybe there's something to this Lady Gaga thing."

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Doctor Claw posted:

Setlist.

A good line-up but I think it's kinda bloated for an artist who only has 1 LP and 1 EP. She could easily cut So Happy, Boys, Money Honey, and Paper Gangsta and no one would notice. WTF is I Like It Rough?

I cannot wait for that show. No Again Again or Summerboy though. :(

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Doctor Claw posted:

A good line-up but I think it's kinda bloated for an artist who only has 1 LP and 1 EP.

Not really, considering that she remixes a lot of her songs into different versions live and a lot of them probably flow into each other as medleys.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Oh gently caress I just realized Poker Face/Make Her Say is gonna be the Kid Cudi song. Shiiiiiittttttt.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
Tomorrrowwww niiight :dance: :neckbeard:

Also, it somehow turned into a first date with the girl I'm going with... Oh snap.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

7lip posted:

Tomorrrowwww niiight :dance: :neckbeard:

Also, it somehow turned into a first date with the girl I'm going with... Oh snap.

Someone's gonna get laid!

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

Thornes posted:

Someone's gonna get laid!

Yeah Lady Gaga probably...

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

The Remote Viewer posted:

Yeah Lady Gaga probably...

I'll try my best, If I succeed I'll put to rest the "Gags has a cock" rumour.

I must admit I prefer it to be false but, I'll let you guys know.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Does anyone know where I could find this image? I want it for an SA avatar. It's the shot that lasts for like two seconds in Bad Romance, similar to this picture:

but the shot before it, right when her robe falls, and her arms are out at her sides.

God I love that shot.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

Backweb posted:

You know, that's a very good point that I may have been missing here. What really makes one a superstar or a megastar? I know the Japanese are involved...

I would say superstar status is when you can headline a tour of country X and sell out the main concert venues.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Advice posted:

Does anyone know where I could find this image? I want it for an SA avatar. It's the shot that lasts for like two seconds in Bad Romance, similar to this picture:

but the shot before it, right when her robe falls, and her arms are out at her sides.

God I love that shot.
You mean this one?

Here is it more square and in gagatar form:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
"Ugh I'm so sick of everyone talking about this tramp, what's the big deal anyway? Well, I can't really knock it without actually listening to it..."

♫ The boy is a monsteeeerrrrrr! ♫

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK"
:dance::dance::dance::dance:

...and that's how it started.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You mean this one?

Here is it more square and in gagatar form:

Amazing! Thank you.

Legato
Jul 7, 2004

Un cave troll espectacular!

Free Market Gravy posted:

I think it's a natural progression from hearing one single, especially if it's a dance-style single like (hurr) Just Dance and writing her off as a clone of every other dance-pop singer, then hearing the various glam-rock/disco/etc. influences in a lot of her stuff, maybe catching a glimpse of her in a full-body red lace wrap while accepting an award and going "hey, wait a minute, maybe there's something to this Lady Gaga thing."

Yeah the turning point for me was her SNL performance. I almost did a double take. Wait she's talented? What is THIS!?

Amethyst Citrine
Oct 2, 2009
I've searched and searched for more information, but sadly have found nothing. I realize they will be "pressing uncensored versions soon" or whatever, but when a record company says that...what is a realistic timeline?

I figured I'd chalk this up to having the dark hair cover/censored version, along with the triangle blonde wig/uncensored version (hurrr collectin' time)...but I don't know how long I can wait. ;_;

D'you think she'll be changing up her set list as the tour goes on? I'm hoping it might evolve once I get to see her on Dec. 29.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

She's a goon, basically. Lady Gaga's interview on Ellen, wherein she reveals her motivation for her appearance/fashion (to provide a space for those who similarly did not "fit in").

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I just got the new spin, and they debunk music myths, one of which being "Lady Gaga is talentless." It's pretty much the longest blurb in the article, and phenominally written for people who don't "get it," but when I tried to explain it to my coworkers, they still thought I was weird or gay.

:sigh:

I love Lady Gaga. If she has a penis, I'll suck it. I don't care, man.

edit: here it is

quote:

MYTH No. 3: Lady Gaga Is All Style, No Substance
By Chuck Eddy on November 9, 2009 4:53 PM (41) Comments

REALITY: Lady Gaga's bizarre getups only distract from the fact that she's a brilliant songwriter.

Lady Gaga's purportedly transgressive persona -- wearing doilies over her head in lieu of pants, possibly having a secret penis -- relentlessly dares you to despise her, and it's no surprise so many have taken the bait.

The press focuses on her performance-art shtick in lieu of her songs, so even though The Fame has been one of 2009's biggest-selling albums, nobody seems to have pointed out that it's also one of the best.

Partly it's the sound -- an unabashedly bonkers, rubbery synth-loop boogie that manages to sell back 35 years of esoteric Eurotrash as something unmistakably in-your-face and American, without ever branding itself as retro. If you're tuned in to them, blatantly uncool references abound: Ace of Base's Swedish reggae, Aqua's Danish Barbie twirl, Boney M.'s Teutonic West Indies world disco; her single "Paparazzi" has the ominous minor-key fragility of '80s Italo-pop.

Gaga ropes in distorted rhythms from KMFDM sprocket-rock to Peaches electroclash. But she also croons a cascading Latin freestyle ballad called "Brown Eyes," heartfelt enough to be Lisa Lisa in 1987.

And in her flirtiest tracks, "Boys Boys Boys" and "Summerboy," she's a California girl on Echo Beach, bopping along to Blondie in her new-wave bikini.

All of which would already be wonderful if Gaga's songwriting wasn't just as inventive. But on The Fame, she leaves no doubt that word games are as much her idea of a good time as love games. "Poker Face" extends a gambling metaphor through several verses as cleverly as any country outlaw. Over the hard thump of "Just Dance," a celebratory night out implodes into fright and confusion in ways so mundane it's a shock no lyricist thought to detail them before: A boozed-up girl misplaces her keys and phone, turns her shirt inside out, forgets what club she's in and what song is playing.

Gaga's most inescapable obsession albumwide, though, is kinky sex, which she's sane enough to depict as not so much decadent as funny. And through it all, she's tossing off nonsense syllables and phrasing pirouettes and juvenile side chants and martial Marine grunts and cherry-cherry-boom-booms just to throw you off balance, preferably without losing her own footing. If you play along with her bag of tricks and disco sticks, accept her pretensions as a new twist on club music's costumed tradition, and refuse to be blindsided by her backstory, it's as delirious a dance as you've witnessed all year.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 29, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That is an excellent summation, especially since I'm less able to suss out Gaga's musical thought process as opposed to her visual one. It's going in my mega-gagapost

So that this isn't entirely contentless, if you haven't watched "The Fame: Part One" (which is where I first heard it), "Fooled Me Again, Honest Eyes" is an excellent song which I believe she's only done live. Love the part when she plays the piano with her foot, and the end where she goes all Ray Charles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIeCrj_Gn6A

I would love it if she did an entire piano album

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Just for clarification, is the iTunes version of Bad Romance censored?

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

That bitch crazy.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I put my clan tag to [GAGA] on Modern Warfare 2. Apparently it pisses people off when they lose to a Lady GaGa fan.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
I'm not a huge fan of Lady Gaga's music, but the fact that she ordered pizza for all her fans makes her an awesome person in my eyes. You have to admire someone who genuinely appreciates their fans, instead of being aloof and dismissive towards them (except when it comes to taking their money).

JgPz
Oct 21, 2008
saw her last night at the ACC. i was there mostly for cudi but gott drat gaga put on a very inventive performance. it dragged a bit in the middle but i drank so all was right.

solarbeam
Nov 29, 2005
lady gaga owns

I got hooked when I first heard Just Dance on the radio. It had a happy feel to it and I'm all for feelin' good. Then I heard Paparazzi--the chorus is when I went FUUUUUUUUCK. I've told everyone I think she's pretty good and they look at me like I'm listening to her ironically or I'm gay. I listen to mostly Rap and poo poo so you can probably see why....

Maybe it's the new decade coming up and it might be on some glam poo poo like the 80s, gently caress these unstylish niggas, this upcoming decade is gonna own

Bad Romance's electronica sound that it has to it is so unbelievably awesome.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

SO GOOD SO GOOD SOO GOOODDD OH MY GOOODDD :neckbeard:

I'm pretty sure the floor of that show was the best rave I've ever been too, oh god it was insaaaaanneeeee.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I'm going to see her on the 19th in the San Diego Convention Center. It was either her by herself in a circular stage where the audience surrounds her, or her with Kid Cudi and Semi Precious Weapons in an opera type place called Club Nokia in LA. I opted for the former, since I've heard about her stage presence and I think I'd rather see her be alone with some grand show she planned.

I heard how crazy the Fame Kills tour was supposed to be, and I totally would have gone to that. loving Kanye.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Advice posted:

It was either her by herself in a circular stage where the audience surrounds her, or her with Kid Cudi and Semi Precious Weapons in an opera type place called Club Nokia in LA.

Ummmm, you DO know that she designed a special set for the tour... right?

I hope you get too see her use all the set pieces she did tonightt (w/ kid cudi and semi precious weapons).

Bozz
Jan 26, 2002

Maybe I'm listening to the wrong versions on youtube but the Just Dance/Don't Stop Believin mixes aren't doing it for me. It's like mixing peanut butter and mashed potatoes. However, if Gaga somehow did a live version with the piano I'm sure she could make it rock. She made a Coldplay song enjoyable for the first time with her piano cover of Viva La Vida.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Pyrolocutus posted:

Just for clarification, is the iTunes version of Bad Romance censored?

No, I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrackDealer
May 12, 2001
Just some in-valid

Bozz posted:

Maybe I'm listening to the wrong versions on youtube but the Just Dance/Don't Stop Believin mixes aren't doing it for me. It's like mixing peanut butter and mashed potatoes. However, if Gaga somehow did a live version with the piano I'm sure she could make it rock. She made a Coldplay song enjoyable for the first time with her piano cover of Viva La Vida.
I think this one works really well but yeah more live piano stuff would be great.

• Locked thread