Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Karmine posted:

The saddest Make a Wish story ever is the one in Bret's book where all the little kid wanted to do was meet Ultimate Warrior and Warrior was like "I'LL DO IT LATER" and he never ended up doing it and the kid died like two days later. :(

NOW THAT CHILD IS IN VALHALLA, HOME OF WARRIOR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Matlock posted:

NOW THAT CHILD IS IN VALHALLA, HOME OF WARRIOR

Excuse me, but Warrior is from Parts Unknown. :colbert:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Hopefully the kid wasn't gay-according to the Warrior he'd go right to hell. Queering doesn't make the world work.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

KungFu Grip posted:

Excuse me, but Warrior is from Parts Unknown. :colbert:

Parts Unknown, Valhalla :black101:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Well that's kinda sad for the kids who think Hogan is coming to see them.

In the late 80s-early 90s when I spent a lot of time in the Mayo Clinic and Northwestern Memorial Hogan was there a ton in the pediatric wards doing Make-A-Wish appearances. Usually on the weekends, he would normally show up around 6-7 AM and make the rounds around taking pictures, posing, letting kids hold the belt when he was champion, things like that. He'd take all the kids who were well enough to walk/wheel into the cafeteria and have lunch with them and then spend one-on-one time with the kids who couldn't. Sometimes he'd bring other wrestlers along (Big Boss Man once or twice, Brutus Beefcake) and they'd stay until 9-10 in the evening.

I can't speak for other kids/hospitals but Hogan really seemed to love doing Make-A-Wish and making the people there happy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hogan and Cena's Make-A-Wish stuff is great, but nothing compares to Undertaker and Kane going on America's Most Wanted to tell a kid that if they ever found the guy who injured him they would straight up murder the dude.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Minges posted:

Honestly, knowing that it was all scripted but not following dirt back then, I remember the match and thinking "boy, Regal's loving great." Like it didn't look bad to me, just that Goldberg hit his first real challenge in the technical master Regal. Even though I thought Regal was just a creepy fat British guy with a lovely haircut. He just seemed so good at rasslin!

It came off as Goldberg's first good match, I think is what I'm saying.

Ditto. I was always confused as to why Regal never went anywhere after that (until I started posting here).

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Karmine posted:

The saddest Make a Wish story ever is the one in Bret's book where all the little kid wanted to do was meet Ultimate Warrior and Warrior was like "I'LL DO IT LATER" and he never ended up doing it and the kid died like two days later. :(

I can imagine Bret volunteering for Make a Wish.

"So kid, whats wrong with you?"
"Well Bret, I have two different forms of cancer and-"
"Ya knooow I have dealt with two of the worst forms of cancer before, Shawn Michaels and Vince McMahon. I told Vince I would drop the belt to anyone as long as it wasn't in Canada and (3 hours of rambling about Montreal)"
*kid goes into a coma*

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Jerusalem posted:

Hogan and Cena's Make-A-Wish stuff is great, but nothing compares to Undertaker and Kane going on America's Most Wanted to tell a kid that if they ever found the guy who injured him they would straight up murder the dude.

Big Bossman going on America's Most Wanted because he looked like a suspect and people kept calling the tip-line when he was on TV.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Carlton Banks posted:

"Ya knooow I have dealt with two of the worst forms of cancer before, Shawn Michaels and Vince McMahon. I told Vince I would drop the belt to anyone as long as it wasn't in Canada and (3 hours of rambling about Montreal)"
*kid goes into a coma*

Outstanding.

Ric Flair, in his book, seems to go back and forth on whether Hogan is a decent guy or a piece of poo poo. The Make a Wish thing about Hogan is what he said is one of his biggest redeeming qualities-according to him, Hogan spent a TON of time doing that.

Then, he whipped David Flair, and he was a total rear end in a top hat.

Now, they wrestle each other for alimony money in Australia.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Carlton Banks posted:

*kid goes into a coma*

I love this post.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

TL posted:

Soon, they'll wrestle each other for alimony money on a pole in TNA.

You know it

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Karmine posted:

Apparently, they were waiting for him by the curtain and he told security to move them so they would get out of his way, too. According to Bret's book anyways. Along with a story of how douchey Scott Hall was to a kid when they were touring Israel.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Jerusalem posted:

Holy poo poo, that was awesome. Undertaker/Kane (masked version of course) should have hosted that show on a weekly basis.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

ColeM posted:

According to Bret's book anyways. Along with a story of how douchey Scott Hall was to a kid when they were touring Israel.

Bahahahaha, Scott Hall getting drunk in downtown Jerusalem is the greatest mental image I've had in weeks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Scott Hall is a hero of the intifada.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Was Tom Zenk ever even REMOTELY over? Who thought Z-Man was a good nickname?

What happens in one day? :ohdear:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Matt Cruea posted:

Tom Zenk is a man who sold a pat on the back from a child like a lariat. I imagine he liked the name.
As for in one day? Low ki debuts against Brian Danielson in a 60 minute iron man match? I can dream.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Grant DaNasty posted:

Something just occurred to me about Sheamus and his title shot. When was the last time there was a number one contender in a PPV main event that doesn't have a t-shirt or any merchandise?

Does Vladimir Kozlov count?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Iskanderson posted:

Does Vladimir Kozlov count?

If not then Great Khali.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Matt Cruea posted:

I haven't given it much thought, but we'll find out when Hulkamatt is good and ready.

Matt Cruea posted:

Zenk is an insane pro wrestler, by the way. This is his site http://www.tomzenk.net/index.html

Apparently he had some insane posts on the site at one point (since removed), the creepiest about the Miss Elizabeth death with Stephanie in Liz's place, and HHH in Lex Luger's.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CM Junk posted:

Bahahahaha, Scott Hall getting drunk in downtown Jerusalem is the greatest mental image I've had in weeks.

I'd shaved and everything :(

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Tom Zenk is a man who sold a pat on the back from a child like a lariat. I imagine he liked the name.
As for in one day? Low ki debuts against Brian Danielson in a 60 minute iron man match? I can dream.

ECW is Low Ki and Danielson won't get the gently caress out of the ring.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Burrito posted:

ECW is Low Ki and Danielson won't get the gently caress out of the ring.

That would own so loving hard.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

I'd shaved and everything :(

:golfclap: Nicely done.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Matt Cruea posted:

I remember when I was a kid, and he tagged with Rick Martel as Strike Force, we didn't dislike him. Or recognize him. Then Martel turned heel and nobody gave a poo poo about Zenk and we all watched The Model.

CrankyProf
Apr 22, 2008

by angerbotSD

Matt Cruea posted:

I vaguely remember him being over when he tagged with "Flyin' Brian" Pillman. That was late 80's though.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

WeaselWeaz posted:

I remember when I was a kid, and he tagged with Rick Martel as Strike Force, we didn't dislike him. Or recognize him. Then Martel turned heel and nobody gave a poo poo about Zenk and we all watched The Model.

Tito Santana teamed with Martel to make up Strike Force. You're thinking of the Can-Am Connection for Zenk/Martel.

bartok
May 10, 2006

When I started watching WCW he was mainly used as a face jobber that was allowed to get in a few offensive moves (mostly arm drags and drop kicks) and a surprise pin attempt before getting annihilated by his opponent.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

CobiWann posted:

Tito Santana teamed with Martel to make up Strike Force. You're thinking of the Can-Am Connection for Zenk/Martel.

The Can-Am Connection broke up when Zenk learned that Martel made more than him and quit. It wasn't long after that that Martel teamed up with Santana and became Strike Force.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

WeaselWeaz posted:

I thought the Can Am connection were cool. Then Strike Force happened and I was even more sure that Zenk was cool, because Tito Santana was no Tom Zenk, bro.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Von Linus posted:

I thought the Can Am connection were cool. Then Strike Force happened and I was even more sure that Zenk was cool, because Tito Santana was no Tom Zenk, bro.

Strike Force was the best tag team and Tito Santana is the man :colbert:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

Arriba!

Zenk was a successful upper-midcarder in WCW, with a US Tag Title reign in a popular team with Brian Pillman, and a run with the TV Title (back when it was worth something), but then Ole Anderson came in and pushed out the younger talent with older wrestlers.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Tom Zenk is the only wrestler I know of whose bitter hatred for Ole Anderson seems to match the bitter hatred Ole Anderson has for just about everyone involved in the wrestling business in any way.

Rockfish
Jan 26, 2004

Krylon Gold: The Connoiseur's Choice!

Davros1 posted:

Arriba!

¡Ándale, chico!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Jerusalem posted:

Considering it was 20 years ago, but I keep hearing this, can somebody elaborate on why?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Wazzu posted:

Considering it was 20 years ago, but I keep hearing this, can somebody elaborate on why?

They had great entrance music and both of them (Martel and Santana) could move pretty good. I preferred Rick Martel as The Model, and the real dominant WWF tag team of the 80s was Demolition.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Supreme Allah posted:

the real dominant WWF tag team of the 80s was Demolition.

BECAUSE Strike Force disbanded. :colbert:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

BECAUSE Strike Force disbanded. :colbert:

They disbanded because Demolition kicked their asses too hard one night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockfish
Jan 26, 2004

Krylon Gold: The Connoiseur's Choice!

Supreme Allah posted:

They disbanded because Demolition kicked their asses too hard one night

Demolition did SOMETHING too hard to their asses one night. I don't know what you heard...