Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
How's UFO Afternath, and Praetorians?
I'm getting Advent Rising and wanted to get another 5 bucks title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Honest Thief posted:

How's UFO Afternath, and Praetorians?
I'm getting Advent Rising and wanted to get another 5 bucks title

Aftermath isn't terrible for $5 at all, just don't go in expecting it to be anywhere near as good as X-Com.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Sanitarium went up for sale on GOG the other day and I remember it got a really high score in PC Gamer. Is it worth trying to play now? I couldn't really get into Fallout 2 because of the ancient interface.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Shumagorath posted:

Sanitarium went up for sale on GOG the other day and I remember it got a really high score in PC Gamer. Is it worth trying to play now? I couldn't really get into Fallout 2 because of the ancient interface.

It's not an RPG, it's an adventure. A very dark adventure.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

It's also got logical puzzles and no way to screw yourself up. I recommend it.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
Too be fair I once thought everyone owned TF2 but whenever it goes on sale people are like OH MAN SNAGGED TF2! So that gog deal is good.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

The Machine posted:

Giants and Sacrifice were the first games I got off GOG :blush:

awh man me too :respek:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

RandolphCarter posted:

It's also got logical puzzles and no way to screw yourself up. I recommend it.
I know this is a silly question, but what kind of hoops will I be jumping through to make it run on Vista x64 with some upscaling?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
crikey, Advent Rising just got me a General protection fault and right when it was being so fun. This is turning out to be like Mass Effect, only better.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
MDK is going for $4.99 according to the front page, but doesn't seem like they have actually applied the rebate.

Not that it matters, because you should all own MDK already.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

I know this is a silly question, but what kind of hoops will I be jumping through to make it run on Vista x64 with some upscaling?

I can't help you with that as I have a pretty old comp. Your best bet would be to ask on GoG's forum.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shumagorath posted:

I'm playing it on Win7 x64 on an 1920x1200 monitor without doing anything special and it looks okay to me. I do have some sort of mental block when it comes to old school 2D graphics though, so.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Tropico Reloaded for $9.99.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
Myst masterpiece edition now available for $5.99

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

OptimusShr posted:

Myst masterpiece edition now available for $5.99

They're also going to add Riven and loving Manhole from Cyan, too. I'm seriously considering buying it, just because my copy of Myst hasn't run in years.

(plus, I never could get the no-swapping-cds thing to work for Riven.)

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I've never heard of Manhole...sounds like the AO version of Myst where you explore the Goatse cavern.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

I've never heard of Manhole...sounds like the AO version of Myst where you explore the Goatse cavern.

It's actually a surreal children's adventure game in which the emphasis is more on exploration and watching cool/weird stuff happen than on solving puzzles and working towards a definite goal.

Meow
Dec 31, 2004

It would be so awesome if the Cyan acquisition meant a forthcoming Windows version of Spelunx. Oh man.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It was a game they made before Myst and I always wanted to try it out. If I recall correctly, the manhole setpiece in Riven right when you start and right at the end of the game is a reference to it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Hooray for Cyan appearing on GoG! Though apparently the reason for them popping up there isn't quite as awesome as the results.

According to an e-mail from Rand Miller and public history, Cyan has been pretty much drowning for a while, laying off nearly all their staff and becoming an external code tester to try and stay afloat. However, they apparently lost a big client and this seems to be their way of trying to get enough money to stay afloat long enough to clean up Uru's vast mess of a source code for a public release so they can die with some form of dignity.

How the mighty have fallen. :( But on a more positive note, one of the ScummVM coders is working on Myst and Riven support!

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Weekend promo: 25% off all Rage Software games.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

Scylo posted:

Weekend promo: 25% off all Rage Software games.

Expendable looks pretty cool for that price. Anyone have any thoughts about it?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I bought it from GOG some time ago, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with the Intel GMA 75...-something graphics cards. Just a heads up. I haven't played it much because of this, but once you get used to the control scheme (which is unusual by todays standards) it seems like a cool shooter. Also there's a coop mode :)

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

FLX posted:

I bought it from GOG some time ago, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with the Intel GMA 75...-something graphics cards. Just a heads up. I haven't played it much because of this, but once you get used to the control scheme (which is unusual by todays standards) it seems like a cool shooter. Also there's a coop mode :)

You weren't kidding about that control scheme. It definitely is going to take some getting used to. Decent enough little game though and Gog needs my money.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Now to hope they add RealMyst (enhanced, realtime 3D Myst 1) after the two they've already teased.

I can't find anywhere safe to simply purchase it for keeps without buying nine-year-old CDs at jacked-up prices, and no longer have access to the borrowed copy I putzed around with a couple of years back. Just as well, since I remember technical problems on an older Vista PC (built ~2004) and GOG installers typically take care of those.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I got Incoming as OEM with my first PC and it was quite good fun for a while.
I can't remember if I ever completed it, but knowing my record, probably not.

I bought Hostile Waters a couple of years ago and don't think I've taken it out of the shrink-wrap yet.

That said, I'm a Digital Distribution whore, so if someone can convince me to buy the set, I'm there.

shao kong
Nov 6, 2002

kingturnip posted:

That said, I'm a Digital Distribution whore, so if someone can convince me to buy the set, I'm there.

Judging by this endless stream of mediocre games they really, really need the money.

Seriously at least get realMyst guys

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Modian posted:

Judging by this endless stream of mediocre games they really, really need the money.

Seriously at least get realMyst guys

Myst, Tropico, and Divine Divinity are mediocre games :confused:

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004

hogswallower posted:

Expendable looks pretty cool for that price. Anyone have any thoughts about it?

I remember having a lot of fun with it when it came out back in the day.

Make sure you have an accelerated graphics video card (Preferable a Matrox)!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Overwined posted:

Myst, Tropico, and Divine Divinity are mediocre games :confused:

Divine Divinity is, certainly. Myst... eh... I guess the housewives liked it.

Tropico owns, though.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Tropico owns, though.

Divine Divinity is one of the best ARPGs of the past decade and Myst is one of the most influential adventure games ever hth

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Myst is a great game and massively influential. People should get it if they've never played it before.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Myst is drat good and Riven is brilliant, they just had the bad fortune of inspiring so many awful imitators that they unfairly get pegged as killing an entire genre.

shao kong
Nov 6, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Tropico owns, though.

Tropico's pretty good but when I think of "awesome nostalgia-evoking old games" it's not really what comes to mind.

Their catalog would be easier to swallow if their sales were more than a dollar off. The Interplay 2 for 1 sale is the last time I bought anything, and the only time since I registered a year ago. Maybe I'm just impatient. Here's hoping they get Torment up soon since I'm sick of carrying the discs around.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You need sales on $6 and $10 games?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

flatluigi posted:

You need sales on $6 and $10 games?

Yeah, the nice thing about GoG is that they don't need to have constant sales because the prices are already good.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Modian posted:

Their catalog would be easier to swallow if their sales were more than a dollar off. The Interplay 2 for 1 sale is the last time I bought anything, and the only time since I registered a year ago. Maybe I'm just impatient. Here's hoping they get Torment up soon since I'm sick of carrying the discs around.

Yeah I'd like to have some more 2 for 1 sales but it's pretty cheap already. And it's quite possible Torment may be released on GoG since there has been a rerelease in Europe.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The Myst games are less about gameplay and more about the "experience". Heh, maybe it was the original "games as art" title, way before we thought of such things. I remember being so mesmerized when I played Myst for the first time...it really was like exploring a whole new world with fantastic (for the time) graphics. I think it was also one of the earlier games that really shot for the older and mature demographic instead of kids like most games of the time did. Yeah, moving and clicking your mouse through every pixel to find something to interact with isn't the best game design, but it's not really about that.

Riven is also a great game that requires you to really use your mind to get through it. Lots of the puzzles seem unfair, but you just have to be in the right mindset and know how to explore. It can be overwhelming at first though, since there are a ton of ways to go at the beginning. Playing the game without having to worry about swapping discs will definitely help tho, the constant swapping between islands got annoying!

I never played the Myst games that came out after Riven, heard mixed things about the newer games and by the time they came out the genre was dead. I'm not sure how well the series has aged, but the art direction was always fantastic so I'm sure it still holds up.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

sethsez posted:

Yeah, the nice thing about GoG is that they don't need to have constant sales because the prices are already good.

The "regular" sales they have with $1 or 10-25% off just seem useless. If I didn't want to buy it for $6, my threshold for buying won't be $5.

I would prefer more stuff like the one year anniversary sale and bundles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Original_Z posted:

I never played the Myst games that came out after Riven, heard mixed things about the newer games and by the time they came out the genre was dead. I'm not sure how well the series has aged, but the art direction was always fantastic so I'm sure it still holds up.

Exile was very fun, much in keeping with the first two games. The fourth game (Revelations) was good, but it had a bullshit puzzle or two (:argh: monkeys :argh:) Game 5 (End of Ages) was absolutely terrible, though looking at Wikipedia people other than me liked it.