Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Have you asked around at the city council? I'm sure they have a public relations person who answers questions like that. Public art is funded by tax money so I'm sure they have people who monitor exactly how it goes down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I cant rhyme
Aug 19, 2007
No, I just didn't think of that. Thank you, I will.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
State and local government websites. Where I live the City of Phoenix has a pretty big set of resources devoted to it. The state government, on the other hand, sucks a fat cock!

http://www.phoenix.gov/arts/artprogr.html

Basically what happens is that they put out calls to artists for various projects or exhibitions, large and small. They then have a committee which chairs the selection of the winner(s) which is made up of people who work for the city, people who work in the arts (I know university professors who do this) and sometimes other people like donors and such.

For museums it's a bit trickier depending on if they're actually part of the government somehow (the art museum at a state university) or a non-profit (funded exclusively by donations and run by a board of directors) but generally the art will be donations or decisions will be made by the higher up leadership - senior curators and executive directors.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Back Stabber posted:

Hey quick question: What type of paint would work well with painting wood without leaving any sort of texture (specifically, skateboards)?

You'll want to invest in a single action airbrush (you can pick one up for 20 or 30 bucks if you shop around) if you want a totally smooth finish. After that you can use any paint you want, as long as you seal it afterwords.

Does anyone know a good community\website for sculpture? Like conceptart.org or eatpoo but for sculpture?

rollin bones
Jul 3, 2007
When you folks are looking for a good waterproof india ink, what is your preferred brand? I usually buy Dr. Martins but I'm home for the holidays and they don't sell it here so I bought Speedball and it is most certainly not waterproof.

edit: it has to be waterproof because I'm doing watercolor washes on top.

G.I.A.
Sep 7, 2007

We are watching you.
I have a question.

Can one of you tell me the artist I am thinking of? I'm having a tough time finding his name, but I know he has a slavic name with his last name starting with the letter b, and he paints and sketches some dark surrealist stuff, mostly tombs, chasms, trees, creatures, etc...

Bag Of Ghosts
Jan 17, 2008

Who needs a TEC-9
When you can fold space-time
I lace rhymes with math
Like sine and cosine

G.I.A. posted:

I have a question.

Can one of you tell me the artist I am thinking of? I'm having a tough time finding his name, but I know he has a slavic name with his last name starting with the letter b, and he paints and sketches some dark surrealist stuff, mostly tombs, chasms, trees, creatures, etc...

Zdzislaw Beksinski.

http://www.beksinski.pl/

also congratulations! You are the 1,000,000th goon to like this dude

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Bag Of Ghosts posted:

Zdzislaw Beksinski.

http://www.beksinski.pl/

also congratulations! You are the 1,000,000th goon to like this dude

While we're on the same topic: I remember seeing work by another artist that was in the same vein, but a bit more like Bosch. A recurring motif was some sort of hellish parade. Anybody know his name?

vvv nope, this guy is a little more obscure, I run into his work here, posted in the same thread as Beksinski.

burexas.irom fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 12, 2009

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

burexas.irom posted:

While we're on the same topic: I remember seeing work by another artist that was in the same vein, but a bit more like Bosch. A recurring motif was some sort of hellish parade. Anybody know his name?

Giger?

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
My boss has a huge cement wall facing the highway on the shop we work at, and he wants to have a graffiti mural painted on it. Is there some online community or resource artists use? I don't want to post it on Craiglists to have some guy paint "COCK" on the wall, I want actual artists.

And is there a thread here, or anywhere on SA for getting quick photoshop work done?

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

I don't know where you live but I'd find the nearest good graffiti shop and ask them if you want a local, or look online and hire a real writer. Some are more geared towards professional work than others but you can expect to drop some pretty serious loot on it.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I want to work with Chinese fonts in Photoshop and Indesign. The last time I did this, was using Twinbridge in XP, which doesnt have windows 7 support. I am now using Windows7 64bit and poking around there seems to be more language support. Is there a native add on to windows now?

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Slashie posted:

Well, you're never going to completely get rid of that writerly neuroticism, but one thing that jumps out at me is that you aren't actually using the word "said" all that much. The plainer the word, the more it recedes into the background. Also, you pretty much never need to say "he replied." Trust your reader a little. If you've given them an "establishing shot" paragraph at the start of the scene, they know who's there. You don't have to constantly remind them. And if somebody's saying "Mark!" we can assume that's not Mark talking. And I would get rid of that bit about the voice carrying far enough for the police to hear. If you've set up that the police are within earshot, you can let that be background tension without reminding us like that. Bring "the police can hear her" in when the police actually do something. Right now the cops aren't "in frame."

I hope you don't think it's presumptuous of me to rewrite it, but I wanted to throw in some different examples of handling the "saids." One trick I love is to throw it into the middle of the sentence like I did in the fifth line here. Also if you go straight from "character's line" to "character did x" the who-said-what is implied without you having to actually connect the dots.
code:
Establishing sentence here (include names, location, mood, action, etc.).
"Mark, we'll never make it!"
"We have to try," he said, revving the engine.
"This is all about her, isn't it?" she said.
"Shut up, woman," Mark snarled. "This is all about you."
He slammed the car into gear and...
Eh, it's not great, but you get the idea. Mix it up and don't resort to adverbs.

I know this is way, way, way back in the thread but this really helped me out too. Thanks :)

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

El Seano posted:

I know this is way, way, way back in the thread but this really helped me out too. Thanks :)

Anytime. :parrot:

Honcho
Feb 16, 2008

Yesss, we can.

burexas.irom posted:

Is it Pieter Brueghel or Odd Nerdrum by chance? The Bosch thing makes me think of Brueghel, but the hellish bit sounds more Nerdrum.

Honcho fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 16, 2009

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Normally when I paint it's oil on canvas, for this project I'm using acrylic on hardboard (due to the ease of cutting the unusual size I need).

I sanded the wood, coated with acrylic gesso, blow dried, sanded, coated, etc - three coats total, and it looks generally ready to be painted on. Now maybe this is just me being an idiot who has never used acrylics before, but the paint goes on very thin. I'm using a pretty soft brush, but every little stroke shows and the white seeps through completely. For areas of solid color, it looks horrible, and multiple coats after drying doesn't seem to be helping.

Is this just a common characteristic of acrylic paints, or am I doing something wrong?

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

What kind of paint are you using? I typically use golden heavy body acrylics and utrecht brand, and, even watered down they tend to be pretty heavy on pigment load. OF course opacity will depend on what pigment, etc, but even that said. I am using regular acrylic brushes that run 5-15 bucks each and hardware store brushes for really big poo poo.

If you are painting a darker painting, or something like that, try mixing some black in with another coat of gesso, or doing light washes of watered down paint (think like doing an ink wash) in whatever your colors are first. Obviously lovely paints will not work well for the washing.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
The majority of them are "Van Gogh," they could be fairly old but not dried up or anything. I'll experiment with another coat of gesso that has black mixed in, that sounds like a really good start, thanks.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Honcho posted:

Is it Pieter Brueghel or Odd Nerdrum by chance? The Bosch thing makes me think of Brueghel, but the hellish bit sounds more Nerdrum.

Nope, neither of these. It's a lot like Beksinski but it has an even darker feeling to it. The parades of surreal creatures are the theme of a number of the paintings.

love 2 text my friends
Jun 30, 2004

Mr. Onslaught posted:

The majority of them are "Van Gogh," they could be fairly old but not dried up or anything. I'll experiment with another coat of gesso that has black mixed in, that sounds like a really good start, thanks.
I think it might be the brand. I started off with some cheap acrylic sets and had exactly the same problems - watery, weak colours. I splashed out on some Liquitex heavy body acrylics and got much better results. However, as has been said, different pigments do have different transparencies.

Some of the cheap paints weren't too bad, so I still use them for covering large areas.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Web designers:

I'm looking for a lightbox script that will load sub-galleries. What I mean is, an image on the page, when clicked will pop up a modal lightbox, and the previous and next buttons will cycle through a subgallery--not the other images on the initial page.

For context, this is for an artist's website, and when the modal lightbox pops up the prev/next should cycle through other photographs of the initial image. All the lightbox scrips I'm finding on the internet so far will cycle through all the other images on the original page.

Any ideas/advice on how I can accomplish this?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I've been playing around with paint made from chalk pastel lately. If I get the right solvent, how well will this work with oil pastel?

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
I'm currently writing a science fiction comic with the intention of producing a black and white demo issue. I used to draw comics when I was a kid and can still handle basic pen and pencil work.

I have a couple of practical questions for people who have experience with or knowledge of drawing professional-level comics:

1. What's the best paper to use (color, thickness, dimensions) for ink comics?

2. What are the best pencils for penciling? I need really sharp lines for settings, as most of them are pretty technical.

3. What are the best pens to use? I'm going for a fairly gray scale look. In general, I don't want a lot of heavy inky blacks.

4. What's the best way of producing panels? Rulers?

Obviously, tastes vary. But given the fact I know almost nothing about this, any advice is welcome.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 22, 2009

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
1. http://www.strathmoreartist.com/fineArt_sequential.php

These papers all have blue guidelines for common panel measurements (1/2 of the page, 1/4, 1/3, etc). Most professional "industry" comic stuff is done with these, but some comics just make it up without any guidelines.

2. I don't think it actually matters what pencils you use, whatever can create the lines you're looking for. If you need small lines, try a small mechanical pencil. Larger lines, use a larger one.

3. You're going to have to experiment, but microns are pretty cheap and come in a variety of sizes. Buy a few different brands, you'll have to experiment to figure out what you like best.

4. Anything with a straight edge will work, I guess, but a ruler would seem to be the most practical. Also, a T-square to help get right angles.

Just curious, have you actually drawn anything since you were a kid? What is this for? You might want to do a couple of "test pages" which tell 1-page stories first, to practice your comicking chops and drawing techniques. If you haven't drawn much since you were a kid, you might find it harder than you thought.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Love Rat posted:

I'm currently writing a science fiction comic with the intention of producing a black and white demo issue. I used to draw comics when I was a kid and can still handle basic pen and pencil work.

I have a couple of practical questions for people who have experience with or knowledge of drawing professional-level comics:

1. What's the best paper to use (color, thickness, dimensions) for ink comics?

2. What are the best pencils for penciling? I need really sharp lines for settings, as most of them are pretty technical.

3. What are the best pens to use? I'm going for a fairly gray scale look. In general, I don't want a lot of heavy inky blacks.

4. What's the best way of producing panels? Rulers?

Obviously, tastes vary. But given the fact I know almost nothing about this, any advice is welcome.

I draw as a hobby and am far from a pro, but this is what I use:

1. 11x17 bristol board. A pad of pre-lined pages can save you a lot of time, since the standard page borders are already all laid out for you. Ignore the tacky cover - you're allowed to use it for non-manga purposes as well.

2. Non-photo blue pencils for construction lines (they won't be picked up by a scanner) and your standard range of drawing pencils for regular penciling. I use a mechanical drafting pencil for detail work. You can get lead for them in various sizes and hardness ratings. Just in case you don't know, 9H is the hardest (thinnest, palest lines) and 9B is the softest (widest, darkest lines), with HB being right in the middle. I like really soft pencils for layout, since it's easy to give figures a rounded, three-dimensional quality with them. They're also nice for shading. You may also like using a white charcoal pencil for adding highlights.

3. I ink with a crow quill and india ink, but I do like heavy inky blacks. You might like using a variety of brushes (try a size 00 sable for fine lines) and watered-down ink, or Micron pens (they make a grayscale set too), or maybe scanning and inking in photoshop if you've got a tablet. There are also both manual and digital ways of adding zip-a-tone if you like that old-school comic halftone look, but you're going to have to ask somebody more talented than me for a guide on how to do that.

4. A T-square is your friend here. If you're producing a lot of similar layouts, you might get some heavy-stock cardboard and an x-acto knife and making yourself some templates. You can also get rectangle stencils at any art store, but the sizes can be limited.

Be sure to allow for speech balloons when you're laying out your art, and come back and post in CC or BSS when you're done! Good luck!

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

gmc9987 posted:

Just curious, have you actually drawn anything since you were a kid? What is this for? You might want to do a couple of "test pages" which tell 1-page stories first, to practice your comicking chops and drawing techniques. If you haven't drawn much since you were a kid, you might find it harder than you thought.

I still draw quite a bit, but I haven't done anything sequential or comic book-like since I was a kid. I will certainly be drafting and redrafting for a while, and definitely experimenting before I finalize anything. The actual dialogue and text will be written and the panels sketched out beforehand.

I'm doing to the project primarily for myself. I created a setting and a basic story arc that combines elements from hard science fiction and social sci-fi with more loose 1970s Heavy Metal Magazine type stuff-- the story is a kind of classic blue collar grease monkeys in space type of thing (think Alien with more science and more satire, and less horror). If I can produce a decent comic with a good story, I may try to land a a six-issue deal or something with a comics publisher (admittedly, that's highly unlikely).

Thanks for the suggestions! Same to you Slashie. I'll shop around. I actually had a drafting table and t-square in my teenage years, and I'm suddenly wishing I hadn't sold them.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 22, 2009

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I've been playing around with paint made from chalk pastel lately. If I get the right solvent, how well will this work with oil pastel?

Depends on the solvent and the surface. Probably with the right (rough) surface and a completely dry paint film -- if it's going down first -- you'd be fine. What is your solvent? Linseed oil?

Is there some other way to achieve what you're looking for?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

zap actionsdower! posted:

Depends on the solvent and the surface. Probably with the right (rough) surface and a completely dry paint film -- if it's going down first -- you'd be fine. What is your solvent? Linseed oil?

Is there some other way to achieve what you're looking for?
I'm not looking for anything in particular, I just like playing with different media. Seeing what it can do.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I recently bought a Cintiq Intous3 pen to use on my school's awesome Cintiq monitors and as a back up pen for my Bamboo Fun tablet. But it doesn't work with my tablet. It didn't come with any instructions or installers whatsoever and googling has proven useless. :(

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Kerfuffle posted:

I recently bought a Cintiq Intous3 pen to use on my school's awesome Cintiq monitors and as a back up pen for my Bamboo Fun tablet. But it doesn't work with my tablet. It didn't come with any instructions or installers whatsoever and googling has proven useless. :(

Pens are specific to different tablets. An intuous 3 pen won't work with a bamboo tablet, just like an intuous 4 pen won't work with an intuous 3 tablet. Sorry :( You can use any intuous 3 pen on any intuous 3 tablet, but you can't use a pen designed for a specific model of tablet on another model of tablet. Pens don't need to be installed, as long as you have the tablet hooked up they will work.

At least as far as I know, maybe some enterprising guy or gal out there has found a way. Can you still return it?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Aw I suspected so. :( I used a friend's tablet pen that looked just like this one, maybe it was an older model or something. As long as it works with the school's monitors it will be worth it.

I guess I should go find that out now. :||||

e: goody! it does

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 8, 2010

SilverSoldat
Jan 15, 2006

What was that? Hee haw? Oh, ok.
Does anybody know the name of this photograph and where I could possibly find a print of it?

I know it's by Erwin Olaf

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
Tineye shows a forum post where it's called Hope 5.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I'll be taking my DSLR camera (just the kit, nothing else) to the beach in a few weeks and to get to the said beach you need to ride a small boat. So I was wondering: what are some ways to protect your camera from splashes? Are ziplock bags effective?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Disharmony posted:

I'll be taking my DSLR camera (just the kit, nothing else) to the beach in a few weeks and to get to the said beach you need to ride a small boat. So I was wondering: what are some ways to protect your camera from splashes? Are ziplock bags effective?

Yeah should work. Check out the "Beginners DSLR" thread in the Dorkroom for a better answer.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Didn't notice there was a photography forum here. Thanks, I'll check that out.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

SilverSoldat posted:

Does anybody know the name of this photograph and where I could possibly find a print of it?

I know it's by Erwin Olaf

If you look at the exhibition list on his website it tells you which galleries had the "Hope" series. You could also just try emailing him directly.

TONY DANZAS HO
Aug 27, 2003

retired
and
loving it
Here's my question, when should I start getting worried about getting busted by the feds for not reporting income I make off selling art crap? Can they track my bank account and bust me for making more deposits than I'm claiming to have made, or how in the world does that work... I had a nightmare that I got busted so I take this as a sign from the heavens that I should at least start looking into the legality of things

Not Memorable
Jul 25, 2004

You are the single most important person in the universe.

TONY DANZAS HO posted:

Here's my question, when should I start getting worried about getting busted by the feds for not reporting income I make off selling art crap? Can they track my bank account and bust me for making more deposits than I'm claiming to have made, or how in the world does that work... I had a nightmare that I got busted so I take this as a sign from the heavens that I should at least start looking into the legality of things

It's hard to know when or if you'll get audited. Taxes are good and for good things, particularly local sales taxes. If you're making more than $50 here and there you should really get your poo poo figured out. Fear of "legal stuff" keeps people from effectively growing their careers. Also you can't really deduct a lot of stuff if you aren't reporting your self-employment income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

An audit isn't really something to worry about in terms of going to jail, an audit is just a gigantic, and sometimes expensive, pain in the rear end. Typically if you're cooperative an audit can be resolved fairly quickly but you never know how much you'll end up paying. In a lower income bracket (I'll assume you're in because of your post) its really not something to worry about a whole lot. I doubt the IRS would even bother, but you never know.

It would help you most to take a "bookkeeping for small business" type class at a community college if you are really concerned about it. Understanding just a few basic things can really help you out in the long run.

If you learn how money works for business, even a little bit, it puts you at a big advantage over a lot of artists who cant/wont/dont know for whatever reasons. I guarantee you that most famous contemporary artists know a lot of basics or hire out a professional to help them.

Some things that can help you keep poo poo straight would be, setting up a separate bank account for your art related things (both income and expenses), keeping all your receipts, and having a good general idea of how much time you put into a particular project or piece. Maybe spend 1 hr a month to track all your incoming and outgoing cash on different projects, keep it in a binder. Almost all the people I know who make a portion of their income on creative work do something similar. Unless they work at a firm, then they just track hours on projects and the accountants figure the rest out.