Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm guessing Ippo's next opponent will be an effeminate midget who specializes in Kirk-style two-fisted hammer blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Jose posted:

How about we all get even more depressed and think about the gimmick of the next opponent he'll fight? Can it be even more terrible than the current one? If Ippo hadn't already faced a black boxer that made everyone poo poo themselves then I'd suggest that but who knows.

Some solace to be taken from this fight is that it will likely end Woli's career.

I'm pretty confident this is Ippo's last fight with an Oriental champion or whatever. I'd like to think after this he'll be aiming for like top 5 rankers or something like that (although gently caress knows what the world ranks of his last few opponents were?)

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Mr. Deathy posted:

I'm pretty confident this is Ippo's last fight with an Oriental champion or whatever. I'd like to think after this he'll be aiming for like top 5 rankers or something like that (although gently caress knows what the world ranks of his last few opponents were?)

Did they ever say that Ippo was even in the top 10?

Ippo had better have some sort of uber evolution soon, because given how strong Martinez was around the Date fight, there's no way in hell he'd be able to touch him. Particularly because he's having issues with a rookie TENSAI~~~~ or some crap.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Ippo is the number one contender in the OPBF which would put him around rank eight or nine in the WBC. He has like 15 more matches till he's done with the king of the pacific thing Kamogawa has him doing but he could probably start challenging world rankers anytime.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I'm actually pretty sure he'll be done with this thing after this fight. There's a volume cover from quite a while back which has 3 characters on the front, before they were scheduled to fight Ippo (or at least before 2 of them were).

The characters were Jimmy Sisfa, Gedo and Woli. That kind of suggested to me it was going to be a trilogy of matches.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I wonder which is more likely, Miyata beats Martinez and Ippo then defeats him or Ippo beats Martinez and Miyata. I'd expect the series to end with Ippo finally fighting Miyata I suppose its just a case of whether its taking the title or a defense. On the other hand it could just have Ippo defending as undisputed champion so who knows.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Jose posted:

I wonder which is more likely, Miyata beats Martinez and Ippo then defeats him or Ippo beats Martinez and Miyata. I'd expect the series to end with Ippo finally fighting Miyata I suppose its just a case of whether its taking the title or a defense. On the other hand it could just have Ippo defending as undisputed champion so who knows.

I imagine that Ippo will take out Martinez, Miyata will move up a weight bracket (maybe two to have a rematch with Mashiba? I don't see any major thing stopping Mashiba from getting a world belt), and then the two of them will have an off-the-records spar, just like how it started. Miyata would be used to hard hits and would have a weight advantage over Ippo, making it a bit more interesting.

Anyhow, Miyata's days in Ippo's weight class are over. The weight training just handicaps him far too much. He's definitely moving up one or two levels. If Miyata were to beat Martinez, it'd wreck things. Martinez is the absolute worst-case scenario for any boxer. If Ippo were to beat him, he'd surpass Date, which would be a lovely high-point to hit.

I still think that Miyata-Mashiba and Sendo-Vorg might be rematches in the future, simply due to the chain of events leading up to and following their initial bouts. Vorg moved up a few weight classes so he could build his rank more easily, but I'm sure he'll probably drop back down for a rematch with Ippo as well. Sendo and Vorg are the only opponents who seemed to have a good reason for rematching. Sendo had his, Vorg certainly will get one with at least one of those two.

On a random note, I wanna see Ippo spar with welters and stuff again. He did that some time ago and was still steamrolling them with his punches :3: No reason to do so presently, given how speedy 99% of his opposition is, but once he heads up against places outside of the far East, he should run across heavy-hitters.

Geop fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 2, 2009

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I can still see a Miyata Vs Ippo fight happening. From memory didn't Miyata get some super insane 'sharp' counter at the end of his last fight after he was incredibly exhausted? If he shaves off all his weight to fight Ippo he'll be in that 'sharp' counter mode constantly.
That'd be the only way I can see it being written in.

So is it safe to assume the editors have killed themselves rather than releasing a new chapter of this poo poo?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
nah there was a break this week. next week is color pages.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

nah there was a break this week. next week is color pages.

Now we'll see Ippo getting slaughtered in GLORIOUS COLOR :cool:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Infinitum posted:

I can still see a Miyata Vs Ippo fight happening. From memory didn't Miyata get some super insane 'sharp' counter at the end of his last fight after he was incredibly exhausted? If he shaves off all his weight to fight Ippo he'll be in that 'sharp' counter mode constantly.
That'd be the only way I can see it being written in.

So is it safe to assume the editors have killed themselves rather than releasing a new chapter of this poo poo?

Hey gently caress you man I have nothing to do in class but read this, I have to pretend that it's going to be worth it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Dickeye posted:

Hey gently caress you man I have nothing to do in class but read this, I have to pretend that it's going to be worth it.

At the very least the fight will hopefully be finished by the time you catch up, so you don't have to agonize through it like us. :emo:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Dickeye posted:

Start on Jojo's or Gash Bell seriously. The 2 togehter are about the length of Ippo and you'll seriously thank me for it. I mean hell you put up with horrible translations of One Piece you can manage it for Jojo.

I think I might just wait until Ippo is finished now. Its moving so slowly and got so bad that I'd rather just be able to power through the next 500 chapters so it doesn't seem too badly paced.

Jose fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 4, 2009

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jose posted:

Start on Jojo's or Gash Bell seriously. The 2 togehter are about the length of Ippo and you'll seriously thank me for it. I mean hell you put up with horrible translations of One Piece you can manage it for Jojo.

I think I might just wait until Ippo is finished now.
it will never end, it'll be here after the ragnarok

also I have Gash Bell and JoJo on my netbook, I'm just reading through them much more slowly than I am this or than I did One Piece.

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004
I just started reading Monday and caught up to the current chapter today. I now very strongly wish I hadn't done that. It was *very* frustrating reading the Gendo match, then to go into the crap that was the Miyata match just to be here for this disappointment.

Fights lately have been dragging on for way too long. Also as said, one bullshit gimmick after another. At this rate I think I'd rather read about Team Aoki more then I'd like to read this fight.

I think the best course of action currently would be to bow out of reading, maybe pick it up in 5 or so years when Ippo and his coach finally decide that it's time to relinquish the Japanese title. Itagaka balls will drop and he decides to fight Ippo only for ippo to die in a tragic incident when him and Miyata finally express their glorious love for each other and his cock perforates Ippo's colon. He then commits suicide because a life without Ippo isn't a life worth living.

The end.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Man I had kind of figured the recent fights were only that bad when you were waiting week by week, but new readers really hate them too?

It really is a bad sign of the direction this manga is taking and its overall quality level.

What was the last fight mostly everyone would agree they genuinely enjoyed? Mashiba vs Sawamura maybe?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I re-read the Gedo match not too long ago, and it was actually kind of tolerable. Particularly when he goes all-out and ditches his tricks.

The Mashiba-Sawamura fight was probably the last good match though.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I will say I fought the Jimmy Sisfa fight was fine enough. Maybe a bit too much of the FIST OF GOD and GOD ABOVE THE RING stuff but otherwise it was pretty entertaining.

EDIT: gently caress I just looked at some chapter dates. The Gedo fight was over 2 years ago already, drat.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Sisfa was suffering from delusions brought on by brain trauma. Ippo snapped him out of it by inflicting even more brain trauma. I find the idea of a boxer who was good to begin with going nuts and becoming even more dangerous in some ways rather interesting. Of course it still made no real sense, but that's shounen manga. See, even though he had his gimmick he was still a good boxer without being total bullshit.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Mr. Deathy posted:

... The Gedo fight was over 2 years ago already, drat.

Jesus gently caress. You're kidding me :gonk:

Edit: Adding to the Sisfa thing, it was actually pretty decent. Remember, Sisfa was the #1 kickboxer and then boxer in Thailand. The fact that Ippo beat him at his own bruiser-match shows how strong he is, particularly given how Sisfa was almost in berserk mode due to brain damage.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The Sisfa fight was awesome. The moment when Ippo "saw god" was probably the funniest page in the whole manga.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I didn't find the Geddo fight to be that bad, he struck me from the beginning as a tricky bastard and lived up to his name. The part where Geddo thought his eye had been destroyed was awesome.

Bad fights are just bad because they progress so slowly.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Jose posted:

Nobody will beat Martinez. Ever.

...Alone, that is!

Ippo and Miyata team up INSIDE THE RING to defeat Ricardo Martinez in an unprecedented 2 v 1 matchup! Is it fair? Is it believable? Is it against the rules? Who gives a gently caress?! None of that crap has ever stopped them before!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Martinez would still beat them, because Ippo would be unable to stop staring at Miyata adoringly and Miyata would get weirded out and get off his game.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
Martinez only needed his left to defeat Ippo. He'd just pull a modified version of that super Asura Stance Randy Boy Jr. used and fight Ippo with the left and Miyata with his right.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

Serious Frolicking posted:

Martinez would still beat them, because Ippo would be unable to stop staring at Miyata adoringly and Miyata would get weirded out and get off his game.

Actually that would be great, a modification on his strategy "people get uncomfortable when you stare at them" (wow that was a really long time ago). Only Ippo would have to be a :3: making it literally the only time he drops his peek-a-boo to adoringly stare at Miyata's well developed boxing skills. :gay:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cowboy posted:

Actually that would be great, a modification on his strategy "people get uncomfortable when you stare at them" (wow that was a really long time ago). Only Ippo would have to be a :3: making it literally the only time he drops his peek-a-boo to adoringly stare at Miyata's well developed boxing skills. :gay:

He dropped it when he fought what's his face, the one earlier on that used the hitman style and beat Miyata

Niklas Kronwall 2.0
May 15, 2009

Dickeye posted:

He dropped it when he fought what's his face, the one earlier on that used the hitman style and beat Miyata

Mashiba.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chapter 876: http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/876/

God dammit. How did they manage to forget that Sendo's coach told them that you can't catch Woli in the corner. This is the worst fight.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Chapter 876: http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/876/

God dammit. How did they manage to forget that Sendo's coach told them that you can't catch Woli in the corner. This is the worst fight.

That's Dankichi, Vorg's coach :v:

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Goddamn this fight is such bullshit. I'm going to bed. Someone wake me up when Ippo is done getting his rear end stomped by Prince Naseem a monkey. Or when the Dempsey Roll appears. Either way.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
On one hand: Goddamn this stupid loving fight

On the other hand: Hopefully the big reveals have been used up

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
:v: To be fair, it has been a few months since they were last told that fact.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Given how he reacted to Ippo's wild punch/haymaker, I wonder if the best approach is for Ippo to, well, almost brawl him. Abandon boxing form to beat him. It seemed to cause a reaction out of him. But that seems rather Takamura-like :confused:

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
But Woli is a GENIUS. Clearly, the only way to defeat geniuses is with the friendship no jutsu. Wait...

No seriously. Ippo is being treated like a battered housewife in this fight.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me
I'm starting to think the referee isn't even in the ring, he's probably outside having a smoke. How many times has Woli grabbed onto the ropes? I was always under the impression that was against the rules (or at the very least a ref would probably tell him to knock it the gently caress off).

I used to enjoy reading this manga so much, though I'm sure everyone including me knew EXACTLY what was going to happen in this chapter. I almost didn't read it, it's like reading the bible and acting surprised at the ending.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

ORIENTAL AND PACIFIC BOXING FEDERATION RULES AND REGULATIONS posted:

74. FOULS
(a) Hitting below the belt.
(b) Hitting an opponent who is down or rising after being down.
(c) Holding an opponent with one hand and hitting with the other.
(d) Holding or deliberately maintaining a clinch.
(e) Pushing an opponent about the ring or into the ropes, or striking an opponent who is helpless as a result of blows and so supported by the ropes that he does not fall.
(f) Wrestling or roughing an opponent on the ropes.
(g) Butting with the head or the shoulders, or using the knees or elbows.
(h) Hitting with the open glove or with the butt or inside of the hand, the elbow, the wrist, and all backhand blows.
(i) Purposely going down without being hit or for the purpose of avoiding a blow.
(j) Striking deliberately at that part of the body over the kidneys.
(k) The use of the pivot blow or the rabbit punch.
(l) Jabbing the opponent’s eyes with the thumb of the glove.
(m) The use of abusive language in the ring.
(n) Any unsportsmanlike trick or action causing injury to an opponent.

75. FOUL TACTICS
Holding and hitting with the other hand, which is an unfair method of landing a blow and may have decisive effect because the contestant struck is unable to avoid or move with the blow to break its force, is classed as a major foul. Referees must warn offenders that this type of foul will be strictly penalized. The kidney punch, which is an illegal blow landing on that part of the back near the spine and over the kidney, is strictly barred because it may produce permanent injury. The importance of enforcing the rule against this blow is frequently overlooked. It must be enforced. rabbit punch is any blow struck at the back of the neck near the base of the skull, and is barred as A dangerous. A blow landed on the head behind the ear, or on the side of the neck, as the opponent turns his head to avoid it, is not a rabbit punch. Any deliberate attempt to use the rabbit punch shall be penalized. Butting with the top or side of the head is likely to cause cuts over an opponent’s eyebrows and other injuries, affecting the outcome of the contest, and shall not be allowed. A boxer who goes in head down and leans against his opponent with his head while in-fighting is butting. Thumbing” or jabbing of the glove has frequently caused serious injuries to the eyes, and referees must watch for this trick and, if it is deliberately used, penalize it by disqualification. If a contestant is helpless on the ropes the referee shall instantly intervene, declare the helpless boxer “down” and proceed with the count as in the case of a knockdown. In the case of minor fouls, such as hitting or flicking with the open glove, clinching and prolonging the contest after a warning has been given, the referee shall punish persistent disregard of the rule with disqualification. The referee may disqualify a contestant for fouling, with or without warning.
Grabbing the rope is not a foul in the OPBF. Though I guess if the ref wanted he could stop it by calling it an unsportsmanlike trick.

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Guyver posted:

Grabbing the rope is not a foul in the OPBF. Though I guess if the ref wanted he could stop it by calling it an unsportsmanlike trick.

But then we wouldn't be able to see how much of genius Woli is and have this fight be drawn out longer. It's like you want to kill the essence of Hajime no Ippo or something.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Just out. 877 RAW:
http://rapidshare.com/files/317462426/Hajime877.zip.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

EDIT: Wait that was an air swing. gently caress this fight in the goddamn balls. We already know Ippo is ultra powerful.