Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

EDIT: Wait that was an air swing. gently caress this fight in the goddamn balls. We already know Ippo is ultra powerful.

I got the idea he was going for some kind of jolt-like attack. Of course I can't read moonspeak so that's probably nothing like what actually happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
877:Ippo gets out of the corner by catching Woli in mid air with a decent punch and then stumbling the rest of the way. Woli's in the corner again, and even though Ippo realizes that he's dangerous there, he also knows he probably won't be able to catch him anywhere else, so he's going after him with his eyes wide open this time.

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine
878: Woli wins, goes on a world tour of boxing, returning home a year later to find that Ippo has become a lumber contractor and 'friend of science', has razed the rain forest and sold all of Woli's monkey friends off for laboratory testing. Japan wins!

BOrangeFury fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 7, 2009

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

BOrangeFury posted:

878: Woli wins, goes on a world tour of boxing, returning home a year later to find that Ippo has become a lumber contractor and 'friend of science', has razed the rain forest and sold all of Woli's monkey friends off for laboratory testing.

Then as Woli sheds a single tear for what has become of his home, Ippo sucker punches him in the face, driving his nose into his brain and leaving him drooling in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

Okay, that's a bit much. But I would like to see Ippo destroy him already.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

A year of lumberjacking would give him some killer hitting strength :black101: Hope Mori doesn't read SA! Otherwise, he now has a direction to go in! Time for a long montage :cool:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Niklas Kronwall 2.0 posted:

Mashiba.

That one

Ippo dropped the peekaboo and switched to hitman for a little bit

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
877:I feel this chapter is the "turning point" of the fight and that Ippo will start beating Woli (somehow).

Pretty please :ohdear:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Big L posted:

877:I feel this chapter is the "turning point" of the fight and that Ippo will start beating Woli (somehow).

Pretty please :ohdear:

I'm hoping something will happen next chapter :dance: If not, Ippo will at least see what to do (he is aware of Vorg's corner advice now), prior to getting his clock cleaned one more time, and he'll do it again later.

Niklas Kronwall 2.0
May 15, 2009

Geop posted:

I'm hoping something will happen next chapter :dance: If not, Ippo will at least see what to do (he is aware of Vorg's corner advice now), prior to getting his clock cleaned one more time, and he'll do it again later.

Ippo will seem to come back, only for it to fail miserably and he keeps getting the poo poo kicked out of him until he figures out ANOTHER way back. That's the formula!

A guy who takes as much damage as Ippo does in every fight would realistically have 0 shot at ever being a world-ranked boxer, let alone champion.

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Niklas Kronwall 2.0 posted:

A guy who takes as much damage as Ippo does in every fight would realistically have 0 shot at ever being a world-ranked boxer, let alone champion.

Let alone still alive.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

877 out translated.. I guess.. if you care.. I don't.. it's boring.

Or you could re-read Hajime No Ippo Gaiden: Naniwa Tiger again and remember what it was like to have an opponent that actually had a personality.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Infinitum posted:

877 out translated.. I guess.. if you care.. I don't.. it's boring.

Or you could re-read Hajime No Ippo Gaiden: Naniwa Tiger again and remember what it was like to have an opponent that actually had a personality.

Jesus. I could seriously read an entire manga run about Sendou and have not one regret. Dude is like Boxing Banchou.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

As awesome as the Sendo Gaiden is, it's recent enough that it still doesn't make an ounce of sense. 35 older, taller guys? One punch each for them but Sendo walks home fine afterwards?

It gets away with it though because it's Sendo though. I suppose he has that Kenpachi thing going on for him. poo poo doesn't need to make a drat ounce of sense as long as it's someone this awesome. :v:

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
God, TL:DR has never been more appropriate.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

An Outland Dish posted:

God, TL:DR has never been more appropriate.

Is this still bannable? I'm not entirely in touch with the specific rules nowadays. :v:

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Mr. Deathy posted:

Is this still bannable? I'm not entirely in touch with the specific rules nowadays. :v:

Talking about how the latest manga chapter is not even worth reading?

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

An Outland Dish posted:

Talking about how the latest manga chapter is not even worth reading?

He's talking about the use of tl;dr i think, but that phrase got to be bannable in the first place because of people threadshitting with it. It'd be pretty loving retarded to apply it in this case.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I honestly had no idea if he was applying it to the chapter or what.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I know I've a long way to go but I'm reading this from the beginning. Currently on chapter 69, looks like Ippo and Miyata are going to face each other in the Finals of the Rookie King Tournament. Great story so far.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

goodvisiontoucan posted:

I know I've a long way to go but I'm reading this from the beginning. Currently on chapter 69, looks like Ippo and Miyata are going to face each other in the Finals of the Rookie King Tournament. Great story so far.

I just laughed pretty hard.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

CaptainRat posted:

I just laughed pretty hard.

WOW gently caress THAT

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

goodvisiontoucan posted:

The scanslations are pretty laughable at first. SnoopyCool didn't start picking up its quality until a ways later. Then they stopped around, like, GN 40 or 50 for the longest god drat time. Then IgnitionOne said "gently caress you" and did it on their own.

Also, the artwork changes shitloads. Once you get further along, jump back 10 GNs or so. He definitely alters his style regularly.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Geop posted:

The scanslations are pretty laughable at first. SnoopyCool didn't start picking up its quality until a ways later. Then they stopped around, like, GN 40 or 50 for the longest god drat time. Then IgnitionOne said "gently caress you" and did it on their own.

Also, the artwork changes shitloads. Once you get further along, jump back 10 GNs or so. He definitely alters his style regularly.

What does GN mean? Volumes?

Does the pace of the story change at all?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

goodvisiontoucan posted:

Does the pace of the story change at all?
Y...yeah. Yeah, it does. Let's just say I hope you enjoy panels of Ippo getting punched in the face.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Sindai posted:

Y...yeah. Yeah, it does. Let's just say I hope you enjoy panels of Ippo getting punched in the face.

He gets punched a lot as is. Glad he just won the Rookie King Tournament :) His flicker opponent guy was p. strong

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

GN = Graphic Novel, sorry. Ippo has over 80GNs by this point, for reference.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tankobons. Not 'GN' or Graphic Novels.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

goodvisiontoucan posted:

Miyata loses because Mashiba is a cheating sack of poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Infinitum posted:

Tankobons. Not 'GN' or Graphic Novels.

I would cut a dude slack about this because trades of American comics are sometimes called this, and 9/10 of those are the same thing as volumes of manga: collections of a story arc

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

It's the same thing as a graphic novel :v: A shitload of comic books compressed in to a book. Typically much higher quality than crappy ol' 20-30 page comics.

No need to nitpick about it, but I've been calling them graphic novels ever since I started reading them way-back-in-the-day.

Geop fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 16, 2009

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
This derail is more interesting and action-packed then the manga has been as of late.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dickeye posted:

I would cut a dude slack about this because trades of American comics are sometimes called this, and 9/10 of those are the same thing as volumes of manga: collections of a story arc

I know it is being a little pedantic about it, but this is ADTRW and not BSS. GN just confused a bunch of people. If not tankobon, call it a volume or collection. Generic enough.
Plus it's not even out translated in America :v:

And yes.. this is what we've been reduced to. Terminology arguing. Why this thread is now moving faster than the actual fight! :parrot:

New point of interest. Where did :parrot: come from?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Infinitum posted:

I know it is being a little pedantic about it, but this is ADTRW and not BSS. GN just confused a bunch of people. If not tankobon, call it a volume or collection. Generic enough.
Plus it's not even out translated in America :v:

And yes.. this is what we've been reduced to. Terminology arguing. Why this thread is now moving faster than the actual fight! :parrot:

Seriously this is like arguing over "nakama" in the One Piece thread

Either one is perfectly acceptable, although I wouldn't have used GN instead of the actual term just because even most comic dudes don't call them GN, they usualyl refer to them as trades

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Infinitum posted:

This youtube here I think.

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

THF13 posted:

I wish Makunochi would do this and then punch that monkey dude in the face.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Dickeye posted:

Oooooh you dirty--I bet you would like TV-Nihon's translations too--ya rotten little--ooooooOOOoo so anyway funny story, when we started getting to work, we were originally going to collaborate with SnoopyCool because they had a bunch of stuff that was done (up to around the Take fight I think? You can see where their scanlations ended on Onemanga) that they just hadn't released yet. But when we got tired of waiting for them we got started....and then they released it all at once.

Actually, there's a fight that I enjoyed less than this one with Blanka--Take could've been a lot more charismatic than he was, considering he was supposed to be some wily old codger, the representative of the failed boxers of the lightweight class and in-ring representation for Kimura and Aoki. Instead he was just kind of pathetic.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OnimaruXLR posted:

Oooooh you dirty--I bet you would like TV-Nihon's translations too--ya rotten little--ooooooOOOoo so anyway funny story, when we started getting to work, we were originally going to collaborate with SnoopyCool because they had a bunch of stuff that was done (up to around the Take fight I think? You can see where their scanlations ended on Onemanga) that they just hadn't released yet. But when we got tired of waiting for them we got started....and then they released it all at once.

Actually, there's a fight that I enjoyed less than this one with Blanka--Take could've been a lot more charismatic than he was, considering he was supposed to be some wily old codger, the representative of the failed boxers of the lightweight class and in-ring representation for Kimura and Aoki. Instead he was just kind of pathetic.

Is TVN the one that translates everything or are they the one that leaves stupid pointless bullshit that adds nothing to the actual translation

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Dickeye posted:

Either one is perfectly acceptable, although I wouldn't have used GN instead of the actual term just because even most comic dudes don't call them GN, they usualyl refer to them as trades

I'm way too cool and non-mainstream for such jargon :cool: I just grappled on to the term because joints I bought it from (online or in-person) classified it under Manga/Graphic Novels.

Seriously, tankoban and "trades"? Never heard of either, guys! :confused: And I've been doing manga poo poo for, christ, over 13 years. Ranma ½, sup. Now I feel old.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geop posted:

I'm way too cool and non-mainstream for such jargon :cool: I just grappled on to the term because joints I bought it from (online or in-person) classified it under Manga/Graphic Novels.

Seriously, tankoban and "trades"? Never heard of either, guys! :confused: And I've been doing manga poo poo for, christ, over 13 years. Ranma ½, sup. Now I feel old.

Trades is short for trade paperbacks and is more accurate than graphic novels most of the time. It's also less of a buzzword so you hear it mroe from dudes that are actually into comics/sell them as a living and nto just as a section of the store

They typically are a softcover collection of issues either of one arc or with a similar theme, usually the first, much like manga volumes

ITT I know a bunch about comics and the dudes that read and sell them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

THF13 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjekH570Sns