Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!

Sponge! posted:

Could you have hosed it up any more than you did? Do you even see where and how you screwed up?

Fernanananandale. I don't see a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helmet Jap
Dec 25, 2004

Noeeee!
Jappu Trappuu!
edit: sorry for trying to replicate your logo and failing.

Helmet Jap fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 14, 2009

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Mooecow posted:

I've been following this thread with great interest - I'll admit, when I saw the first pictures and you mentioned that your only automotive experience was changing spark plugs, I thought you were biting off way more than you could chew, and you would either get a little bit into it and say "gently caress it" or the truck would end up extremely shittily done. I'm very glad I was wrong on both counts, excellent work so far! I want to do the same thing, once I get my own house with a garage and a place to do some serious work.

Once you're done with your resto project though, maybe turn some attention to that S-10 - it looks like the bed is separating from the cab :gonk:

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!

Black88GTA posted:

I've been following this thread with great interest - I'll admit, when I saw the first pictures and you mentioned that your only automotive experience was changing spark plugs, I thought you were biting off way more than you could chew, and you would either get a little bit into it and say "gently caress it" or the truck would end up extremely shittily done. I'm very glad I was wrong on both counts, excellent work so far! I want to do the same thing, once I get my own house with a garage and a place to do some serious work.

Once you're done with your resto project though, maybe turn some attention to that S-10 - it looks like the bed is separating from the cab :gonk:

Agreed. I think everybody was skeptical, but it definitely looks like some of the first page posters ("It's going to take 20 years and cost $20k," "You should just hand a professional a cubic yard of money," "Buy something else and forget this rust-bucket," etc.) are going to wind up eating their words. You're doing a remarkable job, and going at a great pace, keep us updated!

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!

Helmet Jap posted:

EDIT: I SUCK. Will the mods be kind enough to delete the uploaded photo? I uploaded as an attachment and now all of AI can laugh at me for being so stereotypical and NOT READ.

Kaptainballistikitis!!

Dont feel bad, I dit it to my Facebook group.... :(

xsuperxzerox
Dec 12, 2004

by Ozma
This thread is so awesome, keep up the great work!

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Helmet Jap posted:

my god. I just realized it too. :(
Will upload a non-idiot version shortly

EDIT: Im sorry for making GBS threads up this thread

come on, it still sucks. You've got like three different fonts there -- including arial which is design blasphemy -- and everything's been stretched/skewed to some awful degree.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Fayez Butts posted:

come on, it still sucks. You've got like three different fonts there -- including arial which is design blasphemy -- and everything's been stretched/skewed to some awful degree.

And that's not even mentioning the terrible kerning or the fact that it looks nothing like the original.

Helmet Jap
Dec 25, 2004

Noeeee!
Jappu Trappuu!
I only could get a hold of 2 pictures with the logo in it. Both of which were taken from an angle and were tiny. The picture he took that was just the logo doesn't seem to be available anymore. If I can get a hold of a higher resolution one, I can replicate it much better.

jeez, I didn't know it would offend so many people.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Helmet Jap posted:

jeez, I didn't know it would offend so many people.

Goons can lack tact and you're on the receiving end of a classic artist vs. engineer miscommunication. I felt the effort was very kind of you even if it ends up not being exactly what's needed. Don't take it personally.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

mewse posted:

Goons can lack tact and you're on the receiving end of a classic artist vs. engineer miscommunication. I felt the effort was very kind of you even if it ends up not being exactly what's needed. Don't take it personally.

I'm chipping in here to say that the effort is appreciated, but I got more enjoyment out of how oopsed up it was. Carry on!

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Fayez Butts posted:

Quit being a dick

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Can we stop bitching about an image? All of the bumps make me think he's made more progress :(

HonKyTanKMaN
Jul 28, 2005
Man this project is off the hook! I just CAN'T WAIT to see what's coming next! It gives me the will to do the same as you. Keep up the good work!

For the ethetical side of it, I wouldn't touch anything outside exept protecting the look that he already have (i don't know if it is possible to protect rust with a kind of mate clear coat)

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Hmmm, the logo looked pretty good to me. I will admit that I laughed quite a bit at the typo.

Helmet Jap, if everyone hasn't scared you away, I'd still like you to whip up a typo free one. Here's a huge pic of the door: http://i47.tinypic.com/14cr76w.jpg

Anyway, I dropped the oil pan today. There is some light rust on a few small areas of the cylinder walls. The cross hatching is still visible, so presumably that means it doesn't have too many miles on it, right? I've decided to wait till Thursday at the earliest to try and spin the engine by hand. I want to give the mystery oil a chance to make sure the rings are not stuck to the walls in any way, shape or form.

From what I've read, worn cam lobes or incorrect valve adjustment could have caused the lifter to top out, thus forcing out the clips. The engine supposedly ran right before it was pulled, so this is kinda odd.

I also attempted to reset the odometer back to 0. It looks pretty straight forward, but the nut that holds the wheels on the little spindle is stuck. Hopefully PB Blaster overnight will loosen it up.

HonKyTanKMaN posted:

For the ethetical side of it, I wouldn't touch anything outside exept protecting the look that he already have (i don't know if it is possible to protect rust with a kind of mate clear coat)

:doh:

Helmet Jap
Dec 25, 2004

Noeeee!
Jappu Trappuu!

Mooecow posted:

Helmet Jap, if everyone hasn't scared you away, I'd still like you to whip up a typo free one. Here's a huge pic of the door: http://i47.tinypic.com/14cr76w.jpg

Here ya go! posting with confidence this time. available in huge size and Photoshop Document as well (if you wanna use it to make decals or trace over it or something.. PM me if you want em. I don't wanna crap up this thread further :()

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Helmet Jap fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 15, 2009

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Helmet Jap posted:

Here ya go! posting with confidence this time. available in huge size as well (if you wanna use it to make decals or trace over it or something..)

Paging Kitsch!...

Man-Eating Cow
Jan 18, 2001

by Fistgrrl

Helmet Jap posted:

Here ya go! posting with confidence this time. available in huge size and Photoshop Document as well (if you wanna use it to make decals or trace over it or something.. PM me if you want em. I don't wanna crap up this thread further :()

What the gently caress? Where's the hand-painted effect on the top two rows of text???

Just kidding, that's spot-on. Glad you weren't run off by crotchety old goons.

City17
Dec 3, 2006

Helmet Jap posted:

This one looks good. I will admit to thinking the first one was hilarious with the misspelling.

mewse
May 2, 2006

You done good, Helmet Jap.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
Helmet Jap the new logo looks terrific and it was sweet of you to put that together.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Here's an SVG version of the logo, minus the top part which was a real pita to clean up - http://dump.randb.com.au/rowan/the-halls.svg

To create a better version I'd really need a much higher resolution source image. Patching up the scratches and dings in the paint work at this resolution resulted in everything becoming slightly smoothed (see "Since 1895").

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Wow, that came out very well Helmet! I certainly wouldn't mind having a huge copy. You can email it to me at <username> @gmail.com

Hmmm, this is probably a bit too early, but I just bid on these. Hopefully I will be able to find another 53' tag. From what I can tell, they didn't make any 1953 commercial tags, only 1951 with a tag screwed on top of the year.

I was debating between commercial plates or regular old antique plates. I figured commercial plates would fit the truck better given its history.

Don't worry, I should be able to work on the truck again starting on Friday. I just have to get through 2 more finals. :sigh:

Mooecow fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 16, 2009

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
I made a version keeping the faded brush lines for my background just for fun

Incredible work man, I don't think many people thought it would turn out this well based on what you started with.

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 16, 2009

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
Great call on the plates. You have to register it with them, it would really complete the look.

Helmet Jap
Dec 25, 2004

Noeeee!
Jappu Trappuu!

Mooecow posted:

Wow, that came out very well Helmet! I certainly wouldn't mind having a huge copy. You can email it to me at <username> @gmail.com

Glad you liked it :)
I will send it to you tonight. The photoshop document might be too big for gmail, so I will try and find a host somewhere.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I made a version keeping the faded brush lines for my background just for fun

I also did a background version with Chrome texture :)

Click here for the full 1224x792 image.

Parabellum
Feb 26, 2004
Si Vis Pace
Mooecow, you really need to get that signwork done up on some old milk jugs or beer kegs and have them sit in the bed, not just the door. It would look great!

Nice work Helmet Jap, Monkeynutz :)

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.
Maybe you could make some of those wooden slats that run along the top of the bedsides like you used to see on old trucks, just a single piece of 2x8 running the whole length, painted or varnished, with "The finest in dairy products for your family" or sopmething similar painted on it. It'd really fit well with the look that truck is going to have.

Sort of like these-

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

I got your email Helmet Jap. They look great! I already set it as my background :)

Got a bit of work done today. I attempted to spin the engine by turning the fan, but that just caused the belt to slip on the harmonic balancer. Needless to say, that scared me a bit. I've had mystery oil in there for a few days so was hoping that by chance if it was stuck, it would have unfrozen by now.

Before mounting the flywheel and turning it with a prybar, I wanted to prime the oil pump and make sure everything was well oiled. First, out came the oil pan. There was about 1 quart of actual liquid oil, and the rest was sludge. It was so bad I just scrapped it out with a putty knife into a large fatty pile. Then it got 4 quarts of 10w30 oil.

To prime the oil pump, I took a spare 216 distributor and hacked it up. Then I hooked up the distributor to a drill and spun it up. After a few seconds, there was a sign of life:

The old 30 PSI gauge is too low for a 235, so I have a 60 PSI one back ordered.

I was hoping to see some oil work its way up to the rockers while I was priming the pump, but none showed up after a few minutes. Hopefully my drill is just too slow or something.

With everything all oiled up, on went the flywheel. Luckily, the engine is FREE! It spins via the pry bar with no problems. I still added some more MMO to the cylinders to make sure it was perfectly free.

And a couple of license plates showed up today:

A little bit of cleaning and they should look alright. I am going to have to be on the lookout for another 53 tag, though.

Parabellum
Feb 26, 2004
Si Vis Pace
Not that its an issue now but I wouldnt worry about trying to turn a motor over using the fan, old V-belt pulleys dont grip very well in the best of circumstance.
My '65 GMH would do the exact same thing and it gets driven every day!

Also same about the oiling system, you would need to be pretty patient to do that with a drill, an oil pump provides both high flow and pressure much better than a drill could ever manage in 5 minutes :)

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Hmmm, I haven't gotten much done lately. It seems that to do one thing I have to wait on something else. Before I can do anything with the engine I need to get a working starter. The original starter was, not surprisingly, dead. Whenever I tried to spin it it just sparked like hell. The parts truck's starter had been replaced at one point with a unit that had a solenoid setup on it and was dead as well.

In case I need to tear into the engine, I am holding off decreasing and painting it. Another sticking point is the carb. The guy I bought the engine from said he had a new carb for it, but of course he "forgot" it when I picked up the engine. I have emailed him about it again but I am not going to hold me breath about hearing from him again. Hopefully the engine will at least idle with the Rochester it has on there now before I figure out a good replacement one.

The only thing I have done on the engine was free up a stuck valve. Luckily it seems to be free now and I didn't even need to pull the head. :)

I am still waiting on the front axle to come back from the machine shop. He quoted me 2-3 hours labor, but given how long its been I am getting worried. The labor rate is painfully high. :( Without the axle I can't change the rear pinion seal or obviously drop the engine in the frame to test fire it.

Since I couldn't do anything else, I started working on the gauges.

I put new decals on the odometer wheels. Resetting the odometer is really easy, so I am going to reset to it 000000.

And I cleaned up the gauge housings and the bezels.

I put the new decal on the speedometer face and left it on the table overnight to dry. Unfortunately, something spooked the cat during the night and he jumped up on the table. He then jumped off the table, thus putting his claw right through the decal. Since the gash is in a visible portion, I have to order a new decal kit before I can finish redoing the gauges. :(

In preparation for getting the front axle back, I picked up some new U-bolts for it. There are also bushings for the rear leaf springs. I'd left them alone when I pulled them off before because while they were slightly worn, they still were in decent shape. Since I needed to make a trip to the spring shop anyway, I decided to pick them up and replace them anyway.

And while it is a bit premature, the fender turn signals were wire wheeled and cleaned up. They are getting a few coats of gloss black and look quite nice. Now I just need to get a light sockets for them.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Sorry to hear about the carb, but good luck with that temporary one you have :smith:

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
wowie!

Where have I been? you are making leaps and bounds with every update. great work!

I wish someone would take care of my old tube radios for me :(

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

LobsterboyX posted:

wowie!

Where have I been? you are making leaps and bounds with every update. great work!

I wish someone would take care of my old tube radios for me :(

You'd be the 4th goon having me restore their tube stuff...

The Anal Pirate
Jul 8, 2008

Who the hell are you to judge me!?

Sponge! posted:

You'd be the 4th goon having me restore their tube stuff...

I haven't forgotten either, just been busy with holidays and work. I will prob send mine out the first week in January.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
Mooecow, do you know the specifics on the carbs you need? I'm sure I have a spare 1bbl primary laying around for my corvair somewhere. They're cheap and easy to rebuild, and with the exception of having a vacuum diaphragm on them, they're mighty similar to what you have. I'm actually in CT for the week, neararound my supply of parts, so if it'll work, we can work something out.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Thanks for the offer MrSaturn, but I think I have found a good replacement carb.

Anyway, after a quick Christmas break in Maine it is time to get back to work. I got the front axle back from the machine stop and installed it. They did a great job, there is absolutely no play whatsoever in the kingpins now. With all new bushings, this truck should handle just like a Lotus Elise. Well, maybe not quite that well.

I also pushed out the old bushings in the rear leafs and installed the new ones. If I had a press, that would have been really easy. I don't, so I just used a large socket and a long carriage bolt to drive them out. Good thing I replaced them, the old ones were in worse shape than I realized:

Now with the front axle installed again, I can drop in the engine whenever that is ready to test fire. I should have the new starter within the next couple days.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

Mooecow posted:

Anyway, after a quick Christmas break in Maine...

Oh, whereabouts?

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Shitty_Wok posted:

Oh, whereabouts?

Biddeford. I take it your a Mainiac?

Anyway, I got the reman starter today. Since I have a core and NAPA had a good price, I got it for less than a used one on eBay. I make sure it worked, I installed it and did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58t4gC9SNx8

Since the next steps involve trying to fire up the engine, I had to put it back in the frame. I really don't want exhaust filling up the garage. In the frame I can just roll the engine out of the garage and away from anything flammable.

Now the truck is much harder to push with that 650lb lump out front. I still have to buy a few more bits for it before I can try to start it, but that hopefully won't take too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

Mooecow posted:

Biddeford. I take it your a Mainiac?

Born and raised near Augusta. Truck looks great, I'm amazed by your progress. Keep up the good work.

• Locked thread