Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

evilalien posted:

You really have to have the right equipment on you at all times in NG+. For the claw guy offline version of Old Monk, a Dark Silver Shield and a spear makes him totally harmless. For the Blue Dragon that you were having trouble with earlier, bringing a Brushwood Shield and running with it held in front of you will allow you to take the occasional hit from its fire with no damage.

I just found the glory of the Morion Blade + Clever Rat's Ring on this NG++ playthrough. So I just killed the dragons with like 30 arrows total... that's combined both of them together.

So awesome.

As for the Old Monk, I never thought of using the Dark Silver Shiled +5 on him.... I had it on me. I was also using a spear. :sigh: Least all I have to do now is kill Allant, then power through world 3 and 5 and I've got my platinum.

E: Crafted the Dozer Axe/Scraping Spear finally, all I need now is the stupid Insanity Catalyst, and the spell Relief. Which means not only do I need to kill Allant, all of world 3, and 5, but also loving Flamelurker again (NG+++). Not looking forward to that one.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
I usually run to underneath the Blue Dragon before killing it. Can you actually kill it easily from afar without having to get past it's fire? I love making liberal use of the Morion Blade + Clever Rat's Ring combo.

Nagna Zul
Aug 9, 2008

Danthrax posted:

Heyyyyyy buddy. I have a mercurystone chunk if you wanna let me hold some of your stuff. I'll forgo asking to hold unique weapons since there are about 5 or 6 I need for the trophy and I plan on getting them legit anyway. But the Foe's Ring and the upgrade weapons would be super if you have the NA version of the game.

Did you get everything you needed? It's hard to communicate over PSN. I actually got killed by an invader while trying to type a message - mashing the playstation button did absolutely nothing and I got murdered in 2 seconds flat.

I think I gave you everything you needed, and you gave everything back?

If you have everything, congrats on your platinum trophy!

And thanks for killing that rude invader.

Twilly
Apr 7, 2009

KGBAgent185 posted:

I just found the glory of the Morion Blade + Clever Rat's Ring on this NG++ playthrough. So I just killed the dragons with like 30 arrows total... that's combined both of them together.

So awesome.

I made a new character specifically for a Morion Blade/CRR build with a bow. I rushed through World 4 and grabbed the ring in 3-1 pumping all of my souls into Dex along the way. With a White Bow from 4-2 (later a Sticky Bow) and farming White Arrows from the hawks in 4-1, you pretty much one-shot everything in the game.

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Who knows too, the developers for this game seem to really like their fanbase and there is always a chance they will listen to gamers suggestions and release a patch with the option to make the game slightly easier. However I think they made this from the start as a very hardcore game that was never intended to appeal to everyone.

If they did that you'd get all the "hardcore" fans whining "waaaaaah you're making it too easy waaaaaah"

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
I am on NG+, and I just got firestorm. Holy poo poo what an awesome spell. I can't believe I chose God's Wrath the first time. I was dreading fighting Maneater, and I ended up killing each of his forms with one cast. My first playthrough, I must have died to him at least ten times.

I have been trying Old Monk online, and something strange has happened two times in a row. It does the stupid cutscene, and tells me SuperN1nja4372 or whoever has invaded, and I get to the room, and in the middle of the fight, the person vanishes into thin air, and I am stuck alone in the room. I think I waited about 5 minutes each time before finally casting evacuate. Has this happened to anyone?

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008

Colawa posted:

Is anyone else experienced oddities with PSN? As in getting disconnected during a cutscene as Blue Phantom

When the host got kicked down the hole in 4-2 the other Blue Phantom 'left' and I thought nothing of it, and then when we reached the boss I was the one who got disconnected

EDIT : maybe it's server maintenance

Dude I was on the tower knight as a soul helping some dudes when all of a sudden, right when the tower knight's hp hit zero...I was disconnected. I got no souls and didn't revive. gently caress.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Nagna Zul posted:

Did you get everything you needed? It's hard to communicate over PSN. I actually got killed by an invader while trying to type a message - mashing the playstation button did absolutely nothing and I got murdered in 2 seconds flat.

I think I gave you everything you needed, and you gave everything back?

If you have everything, congrats on your platinum trophy!

And thanks for killing that rude invader.

Yes I got everything and gave everything back. When that guy invaded I grabbed the things still on the ground so he couldn't get them, then dropped them when we killed him.

I don't have platinum just yet, I still need all the spells and all the miracles but that'll be easy to do since on my main dude I just need to go through 2-1 and 5-3 again in the next NG+ cycle to get the spells, and then on my second character (where I've been getting miracles instead) I just need 5-3, 3-3 and 4-1, though that last one will have to wait until NG+. It'll be a little while, but it feels good to be close to a platinum.

Thanks for the help!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I just realized I need to kill more bosses than I first thought... gently caress.

If anyone has an Insanity Catalyst they wouldn't mind me holding, that'd be pretty swell.

But as is, I need to clear all of world 5 for Astraea's soul for Relief from Yuria, which means I also need to kill the Tower Knight, and go halfway through 1-3 (I was looking forward to not stepping into 1-3 again, oh well) to save Yuria.

Then I'll need to clear world 3 for the Old Monk's Soul, and then clear world 2 (Might as well get the dragon god killed as well, he's simple enough) just to get Flamelurker's soul to craft the Insanity Catalyst, that is, unless I can just hold someone's.

Then it's platinum time.

Honestly, I feel like this is the one game you TRULY cannot complain about paying $60 for, I mean poo poo, I looked at my play time total and was shocked that it's over 80 hours already.

Dippin' Sauce
May 8, 2005

Ask why, asshole.
I've done 4-2 co-op at least a dozen times and the closet two or three people have ever come to killing the Old Hero was getting his health half way down.

I'm a knight, so I'm probably not pulling my weight since I'm standing around with my thief's ring on plucking away with my lovely bow. Is it possible to melee this guy if you aren't a mage doing AOE's?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I just love how this game makes you feel awesome. I had a hard as gently caress time with 1-3, went and did 3-1 and 4-1, got the Crescent Falchion and the Adjucator Shield and learned Soul Ray. Went back to 1-3 and beat it easily (the boss is a joke with that NPC helping you, though I'm sure it gets harder on NG+).

Nagna Zul
Aug 9, 2008

TheManWithNoName posted:

I just love how this game makes you feel awesome. I had a hard as gently caress time with 1-3, went and did 3-1 and 4-1, got the Crescent Falchion and the Adjucator Shield and learned Soul Ray. Went back to 1-3 and beat it easily (the boss is a joke with that NPC helping you, though I'm sure it gets harder on NG+).

Nope, the 1-3 boss is utter cake if you have Biorr around.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Dippin' Sauce posted:

I've done 4-2 co-op at least a dozen times and the closet two or three people have ever come to killing the Old Hero was getting his health half way down.

I'm a knight, so I'm probably not pulling my weight since I'm standing around with my thief's ring on plucking away with my lovely bow. Is it possible to melee this guy if you aren't a mage doing AOE's?

Yes it is. I meleed him with my barbarian character using a crushing claymore and only wearing plate gloves and boots.

Being able to move around freely was vital as the boss was relatively fast and hit quite hard. Like most of the bosses, he telegraphs everything, so as long as I was watchful I was fine.

I haven't tried him with a shield and armour wearing character yet, but Tower Knight Jr. is getting there so I'll be able to see for myself soon enough.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
I'm in NG+ right now with a level 147 Barbarian. The best part is I farmed the mantas in 4-3 to 140 before going to NG+ :cool:. It's totally worth rushing through in NG+ to the Storm King archstone again, with the ring of avarice they give 3k per hit. That's 36k minimum, with Soul Thirst you'd be in happyland.

That being said, the worst part is loving world 5. I'm using a crushing great axe +3 and it destroyed everything in 1 hit up to this forsaken place. Those giant goblins are ridiculous.

Also, I dunno if they fixed this or if it's only NG+, but the shooting arrows through the fog trick on Maneater didn't work for me. I had to spend 30 minutes using poison cloud to kill them :(.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
I need some hugs.

Just finished the first playthrough. I returned to the Nexus where the Maiden in Black was waiting next to the chasm. I had about 150,000 souls at this point, thinking to myself "lovely, time for some serious levelling up". She takes me off into the hole for the final battle. Still no option to level up through her on the beach before I go in.

Anyway, long story short, I then go into NG+, still with my souls, so all is good. Unfortunately, you have to finish one stage before you can level up through the maiden. So off I trudge to 1-1, making GBS threads myself because of the potential soul loss and after reading on here how much tougher NG+ is. Turns out they're not too bad, so I'm progressing just fine, nice and cautiously.

Except I get invaded, by "Barracksucks" (yes, that was the spelling he went for). I panic to gently caress, tried to use a lotus after the poison cloud he cast (which I totally didn't need to do, as I have good poison resistance and a regen ring, so it was doing almost nothing to me) and I get backstab riposted, insta-kill.

Now, I'm not one to use emoticons, but... :negative:

Then I invaded someone else's world and they had a blue demon with them. I really need some loving spells.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Why didn't you just go back in soul form and retrieve your bloodstain..?

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Gustav posted:

Why didn't you just go back in soul form and retrieve your bloodstain..?

I...uh...whuh...

*reads manual*

:suicide:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Gazmachine posted:

I...uh...whuh...

*reads manual*

Wait a minute, you beat the game once and you didn't know this?! You're stark raving bonkers!

edit: More Eurogamer praise :) http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/games-of-2009-demons-souls-article

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Nagna Zul posted:

Nope, the 1-3 boss is utter cake if you have Biorr around.

In NG++ The Penetrator killed Biorr within 30 seconds.

There is not a frown face big enough.

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008

KGBAgent185 posted:

frown face!? Thats loving HARDCORE!!!!

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

KGBAgent185 posted:

I couldn't get Biorr to survive even in NG+, he lasted maybe a minute. At least he's useful as a distraction to let you get a few hits in.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

SnotGrumble posted:

I am on NG+, and I just got firestorm. Holy poo poo what an awesome spell. I can't believe I chose God's Wrath the first time. I was dreading fighting Maneater, and I ended up killing each of his forms with one cast. My first playthrough, I must have died to him at least ten times.

I have been trying Old Monk online, and something strange has happened two times in a row. It does the stupid cutscene, and tells me SuperN1nja4372 or whoever has invaded, and I get to the room, and in the middle of the fight, the person vanishes into thin air, and I am stuck alone in the room. I think I waited about 5 minutes each time before finally casting evacuate. Has this happened to anyone?

I've had this happen also. I think it means the other person didn't want to fight you anymore so they pulled the plug on their PS3. That's what I assumed anyway.

Gazmachine posted:

I...uh...whuh...

*reads manual*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gazmachine posted:

I...uh...whuh...

*reads manual*

This is the ultimate hardcore method of playing Demon's Souls, and you didn't even know you were playing like that.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Yeet posted:

Also, I dunno if they fixed this or if it's only NG+, but the shooting arrows through the fog trick on Maneater didn't work for me. I had to spend 30 minutes using poison cloud to kill them :(.

Nope, still works. You have to stand on the left side. Yes I do cheese this fight sometimes, it's just not worth the aggravation when you get hit with enough consecutive shockwaves/charges with no chance of getting up from the ground pound.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I said come in! posted:

This is the ultimate hardcore method of playing Demon's Souls, and you didn't even know you were playing like that.

Yeah, I don't know how you can go through the game without ever picking up your bloodstain. That's...well it's loving hardcore.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

What a Judas posted:

Yeah, I don't know how you can go through the game without ever picking up your bloodstain. That's...well it's loving hardcore.

Webster's online dictionary has just updated it's definition of Masochist.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Wait a minute, you beat the game once and you didn't know this?! You're stark raving bonkers!

edit: More Eurogamer praise :) http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/games-of-2009-demons-souls-article

Ha! They even referenced the wiki you guys started. Awesome.

JINKY
Nov 7, 2004
JINKY
I went into the pit area in 1-1 where you get the brushwood armor, and apparently executioner miralda randomly fell and died right next to the brushwood, so I got her armor and ring too. I didn't know what happened because I randomly got 5000 souls :O

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
gently caress Flamelurker on NG+++

Finally killed him, got my Insanity Catalyst and Platinum.

Only took 86 hours 3 minutes.

Fully worth my $60.

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded
I have full white tenancy because of the Xmas event now... I got keel smasher and some other white stuff, but the monumental won't give me my friendship ring. I made sure to talk to her while I was alive. I don't get it... I said "yes" to the starting question too. Anybody else having any problems?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Rodney Chops posted:

I have full white tenancy because of the Xmas event now... I got keel smasher and some other white stuff, but the monumental won't give me my friendship ring. I made sure to talk to her while I was alive. I don't get it... I said "yes" to the starting question too. Anybody else having any problems?

The Friend's Ring is not dependent on WORLD tendency but on CHARACTER tendency. You can check your CT if you have demonbrand or northern regalia (your bonus should be +135 if you're pure white), or in the same screen you check world tendency, look for a glow around the person figure in the middle. The brighter, the "whiter".

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded

Edmond Dantes posted:

The Friend's Ring is not dependent on WORLD tendency but on CHARACTER tendency. You can check your CT if you have demonbrand or northern regalia (your bonus should be +135 if you're pure white), or in the same screen you check world tendency, look for a glow around the person figure in the middle. The brighter, the "whiter".

Oh, gotcha. I don't have either of those items, but my dude in the middle of tendency map is just as white as all the other things. I guess it must not be all the way there yet. Oh well. Thanks!

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Rodney Chops posted:

Oh, gotcha. I don't have either of those items, but my dude in the middle of tendency map is just as white as all the other things. I guess it must not be all the way there yet. Oh well. Thanks!

If you haven't ever invaded anyone elses game, and you haven't killed any NPCs, you have to kill 5 black phantoms to get to pure white (5 out of the combination of BP's that invade your own game, and the unique NPC BP that spawn in each world once per cycle). You do have to land the killing blow, it can't be an environment death like falling or it won't count.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Killing a player-controlled BP raises your CT twice as much as killing an NPC BP.

SlippyFists
Jul 16, 2007

To The Flowers of Time!

Gamespot gave DS best Role-Playing Game of the year award, IGN and GameTrailers gave it the same award as well. It's wonderful to see so much love for this game, and hopefully FromSoftware has already started making the second.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Huh, I wouldn't have called DS a role-playing game at all.

Edit:
-Success is based primarily on the skill of the player, rather than the strength of the character.
-There is no dialogue or any other kind of problem solving, just pure fighting.
-Only 1 real character class, aside from slight variations in starting loadout.

I would call it an action game without much thought.

Gustav fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 24, 2009

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

Gustav posted:

Huh, I wouldn't have called DS a role-playing game at all.

Edit:
-Success is based primarily on the skill of the player, rather than the strength of the character.
-There is no dialogue or any other kind of problem solving, just pure fighting.
-Only 1 real character class, aside from slight variations in starting loadout.

I would call it an action game without much thought.

Your argument only applies if RPGs are simply "games with numbers and you level up."

RPG are Role Playing Games. And DS is probably the best incarnation of a Role Playing Game because you play it as you see fit. And if you suck it's because YOU suck.

Dialogue? Ever heard of Rouge-likes? They have even less dialogue and they are closer to table top RPGs than anything out there.

Uh, one character class? Unless you specifically made a sword wielding spell caster (which is probably the most common) this is bunk. There are actually NO classes in DS which makes the Role Playing even more important. Want to be a healer with dual wield shields? Go ahead. Want to have a big gently caress all blade, wear a hat, and be naked? Have fun!

edit: the fact that people are STILL amazed at how differently everyone else is playing shows how wrong you are. No offense :)

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Man, I forgot how much I fricking love this game.

I got the game when it first came out, but also got a whole bunch of other ones, and this fell the wayside, and so had never really gotten too far in (only up to world 1-2). Realy enjoyed playing my Temple Knight and really don't know why I put the game aside.

Well, came back to it last night... goodbye to that night, and much needed sleep.

Started out world 2-1... holy gently caress was that balls-to-the-wall after worlds 1-1 and 1-2. I think that laughing dude at the start killed me 3 times before I figured out a strategy to beat him.

Then the boss battle at the end of the level? loving Epic. I think I fought the godamn Giant Flame Spider for about 45 minutes straight. By the end I was exhausted.

Man I LOVE this game. So intense, so challenging, and so fricking fun!

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Okay.

gently caress you platforms in 2-2. MY GOD. Jumping down is so loving irratating GAH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbyt
Apr 5, 2005
Zeig House!

UberJumper posted:

Okay.

gently caress you platforms in 2-2. MY GOD. Jumping down is so loving irratating GAH

after you die 10+ times to flamelurker youll know the exact routes.

• Locked thread