Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

the posted:

Heh, I was being a bit hyperbolic. While I don't stomp on people's feet or grab their testicles, I am a "Go hard or Go Home" kind of player, especially on 50/50 situations. Since it's indoor, I can't slide tackle, but going full throttle towards a 50/50 ball on the wall isn't that dangerous, is it? Worst case the guy gets his cage rattled a bit when he connects with the side wall.

Hell, half the time when someone sees me coming full steam they tend to jump out of the way anyway.
It's just 5 a side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
If I don't ruin an amateur players career in every 5 a side game I consider myself a failure.

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007

the posted:

Hell, half the time when someone sees me coming full steam they tend to jump out of the way anyway.

How many times have you been red carded in a casual five a side game on a Wednesday night? ~10?

Gaemblor
Jun 19, 2002

Sheldon Brown - Better than you think!

goodvisiontoucan posted:

If I don't ruin an amateur players career in every 5 a side game I consider myself a failure.

broke my mate's foot with a tackle once, proudest moment of my footballing life

e: got the ball too :c00l:

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I'll show you and your massive chebs the time of your lives you sexy fuck

Chivas Aribas! posted:

How many times have you been red carded in a casual five a side game on a Wednesday night? ~10?

Never got a card in all my years as a defender :smug:

Although I did always go in hard on the FNG at their first training session, in hindsight that was very cuntish.

Got a yellow card (10 minute sin bin) in a hockey match for giving a guy cramp once. That was a bit poo poo.

outcast_p
Oct 1, 2004

I have only pulled a yellow card once. Guy stole the ball from me, I was tailing him to try to get it back. The second I started to go for the ball, the ref was like "dont foul him" and I clipped the guys foot at full speed. one of those where I could not stop the motion. Oh well

Lost 2 more games this week, last night was a good one, lost 3-2 against a team full of russians. Kinda hard when they are speaking russian out on the field. Of course all of the funny russian accents and saying started comming out of our players.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
Just got back from a pickup game that was fairly fun. I don't know why we decided to play soccer outside on a foggy day at a balmy 33°F, but we did. Glad to see my friends were up for it despite the weather, even if there were a couple of them who just stood around in the middle of the field talking about basketball the whole drat time. The thing that was really crappy though is that whoever runs the park we always play at decided to come in and move the goals to one side of the field... and then chain them together. Seriously, what's the drat point in preventing people from playing soccer at a city park like that? I hate water bottle goalposts and imaginary crossbars. :argh:

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007

Visual Sneeze posted:

Just got back from a pickup game that was fairly fun. I don't know why we decided to play soccer outside on a foggy day at a balmy 33°F, but we did. Glad to see my friends were up for it despite the weather, even if there were a couple of them who just stood around in the middle of the field talking about basketball the whole drat time. The thing that was really crappy though is that whoever runs the park we always play at decided to come in and move the goals to one side of the field... and then chain them together. Seriously, what's the drat point in preventing people from playing soccer at a city park like that? I hate water bottle goalposts and imaginary crossbars. :argh:

One of the parks I play at does this. Whoever is on the parks board seriously hates people just coming over and using the goals there. I played with a few of them a couple of times and they get offended if the goals are unlocked or have been moved.

Suburbs y'know?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

If you don't use jumpers for goalposts then gtfo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NeRoSFZWbs

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Visual Sneeze posted:

which park was this at?

also apparently there's a turf indoor field with boards and everything in the new PSU rec center, might be playing indoor intramurals in the winter :c00l:

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

If you don't use jumpers for goalposts then gtfo

irlZaphod posted:

irlZaphod posted:

What about spray paint?

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

harperdc posted:

which park was this at?

also apparently there's a turf indoor field with boards and everything in the new PSU rec center, might be playing indoor intramurals in the winter :c00l:
April Hill Park, in SW Portland. And that's awesome about PSU. I'm a student there and I've never played indoor before, this could be a good chance to try it out. I wonder if they need referees, because I'd be game for that too.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Chivas Aribas! posted:

Two "blue" cards though (I guess they use those in place of yellow)

I go hard but I'm not sloppy, drat.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

the posted:

how many knees have you wrecked

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

the posted:

How many cruciate ligaments have you torn, counting ACL, LCL, MCL, and PCL separately?

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

If you don't use jumpers for goalposts then gtfo.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Craiglen posted:

What about spray paint?

Oh Tallaght... :allears:

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Luigi Thirty posted:

How many cruciate ligaments have you torn, counting ACL, LCL, MCL, and PCL separately?

5. But they were all my own.

Also, any defender that doesn't get yellows on a relatively regular basis is doing it all wrong.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Anyone who gets a yellow in a casual game is doing it all wrong. :colbert:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Anyone who gets a red in a casual game should have their legs broken.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

the posted:

I played in a league where you got blues for just general fouls and got a yellow for x blues. It was to discourage fouling to begin with I presume.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

If a ref ever showed me a blue card I'd probably walk away laughing. Blue cards, what the gently caress is that?

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006
How many blues is equal to one yellow?

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

Craiglen posted:

How many blues is equal to one yellow?

Maybe that's the point, if you've injured someone you get the blues to remind you of the pain you've caused.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Shrapnac posted:

If a ref ever showed me a blue card I'd probably walk away laughing. Blue cards, what the gently caress is that?

ya lol what the gently caress is a blue card

When I was little I remember playing with a new ref in like, a town game where he actually gave the cards to the player who recieved it. I struggle to imagine what he would have done if he had to give out another

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007

goodvisiontoucan posted:

ya lol what the gently caress is a blue card

When I was little I remember playing with a new ref in like, a town game where he actually gave the cards to the player who recieved it. I struggle to imagine what he would have done if he had to give out another

Perhaps he was using it like a reminder of what they've done. The ref should have made the player keep it pinned to him like the scarlet letter.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Visual Sneeze posted:

I'm a student there and I've never played indoor before, this could be a good chance to try it out. I wonder if they need referees, because I'd be game for that too.

even looking through floorplans just now I can't tell if it's got actual fieldturf or just hardwood. hrm. wish I knew.

either way, hopefully I can get some IM soccer on this winter.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

got a red card in my pre-season 8v8 league. we were disqualified bc we got three reds

1st was for a rugby tackle on a guy who had already passed the ball away
2nd was for punching a kid after my teammate was punched (this one was me)
3rd was for telling the ref he could gently caress off immediately after i punched the kid

we were up 2-0 :(

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

hughsieblingwish posted:

Maybe that's the point, if you've injured someone you get the blues to remind you of the pain you've caused.

Yes because after I tackle them, they're feeling blue :smith:

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

goodvisiontoucan posted:

got a red card in my pre-season 8v8 league. we were disqualified bc we got three reds

3rd was for telling the ref he could gently caress off immediately after i punched the kid

You play with Wayne Rooney? Nice

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

goodvisiontoucan posted:

you're hard as gently caress, mate.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

harperdc posted:

you're hard as gently caress, mate.

lol im really not tho

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it
i got sent off once for taking a free kick and deliberately aiming it at the back of this oval office's head before my team had got into place.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I broke someone's arm on Friday, in a clean tackle. I'm not a complete dickhead though so I said sorry.

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....
Has anybody else in the UK not played an outside 5 a side game in around 2 months?

The weather and Christmas period have destroyed any chance of our team playing, our games were just cancelled week after week. Although another thing that doesn't help is we play on pitches next to the Reebok Stadium, so whenever there is a game on it's cancelled, just like tonight.

We are going to be so unfit by the time we actually play we'll need 5 subs as well.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
I started playing again last week, but there was a huge frozen snowdrift next to the pitch where it had all been shovelled off. It's an artificial pitch, and the snow was half covered in those horrible black particles that usually cover the plastic turf.

We lost 4-1 and 4-0 but we played fairly well, in the second game at least, we just tired badly near the end. Just do a few exercises every day up till you play again, it'll help soften the blow.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Scikar posted:

I broke someone's arm on Friday, in a clean tackle. I'm not a complete dickhead though so I said sorry.

i had my arm broken 2 years ago and am only finally recovering from it fully (had the surgery to remove the metal supports 2 weeks ago)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

keveh posted:

Has anybody else in the UK not played an outside 5 a side game in around 2 months?

The weather and Christmas period have destroyed any chance of our team playing, our games were just cancelled week after week. Although another thing that doesn't help is we play on pitches next to the Reebok Stadium, so whenever there is a game on it's cancelled, just like tonight.

We are going to be so unfit by the time we actually play we'll need 5 subs as well.
In Ireland, but we had 2 matches postponed after Christmas, but we played last week (and lost horribly :() and again this week (although I'm not around for it due to me being in the UK).

Wingon
May 7, 2007

LETS GO DRINK DRUNK
Back in my day I got voted Striker of the year for my team. I was a midfielder, playing up front from time to time. I'm just that good. That or the team was generally crap. We did loose that one match 36 nil, after all. Our fierce rivals got us only 6-1. After that season I quit. Mostly because my achilles was properly down the shitter. I probably should have rested a bit in stead of playing through the pain for most of the previous season. I'm to this day haunted by it, if not very often.

After that season I was a referee for a season (which was quite a bit better for my leg), and I once sent off a 10 year old. Well, there were no sending off in those age groups, so I force-subbed him. And this was a team with the most crazy coach I've ever seen. Beforehand the game was sent from ref to ref until it was no time left to pass it along, because of the crazy. He was quite cross with me. But what else could I do? The player ran around ramming into as many people as he could, studs first, spitting at people (and worse, the referee). Crazy times.

I got a bit back into it this summer, and it appears a good 6-7 years of not playing does make you better. I'll keep at it when the snow goes, as there are enough players that we actually have a goal of going into the league system for the first time since the founding of the club back in the 80's. Norwegian Eight Division, watch out.

My grandfather also was one of the founders, and my uncle made the logo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it
from time to time i find myself browsing soccer.com or some other website trying to talk myself into buying new boots even though my old ones are perfectly fine. i dont know why i do it but some of them are just so pretty.