Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
With the engine in place, once you start it the truck counts as technically alive again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
I don't know if it's been said before, but a project like this is so much more meaningful than the mega-dollar restorations that get sold at Mecum or Barret Jackson.
I'm excited for pictures and videos of the engine startup! (or destruction, hopefully not :ohdear:)

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Gorilla Salad posted:

With the engine in place, once you start it the truck counts as technically alive again.

I hope to see video of it moving under its own power before the end of the year.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Bucephalus posted:

I hope to see video of it moving under its own power before the end of the year.

End of 2009 or 2010?

Because there's no transmission man. 2009 looks like a pretty tall order, despite how much Mooecow gets done every day.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Slung Blade posted:

End of 2009 or 2010?

Because there's no transmission man. 2009 looks like a pretty tall order, despite how much Mooecow gets done every day.

That huge fan on the front will propel it!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Oh c'mon, flywheel/clutch assembly/bellhousing/tranny/driveshaft only takes a couple hours. (You're right, of course. Mid-January maybe?)

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I thought this project would never get off the ground but you have been doing great work. You should be very proud of yourself.

Good luck with the rest of the work!

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
gently caress man your truck is in nicer condition now than my wife's beater 2002 Mazda Protege.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

On a whim I decided to check the cold compression of the cylinders. In a word: gently caress.

1: 55 psi
2: 110
3: 110
4: 130
5: 0
6: 40

Goddammit

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Wow, thats hosed. Its possible its just a few stuck rings. But then, you've been soaking it in MMO or something, right?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Guaranteed to run well :(

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Mooecow posted:

On a whim I decided to check the cold compression of the cylinders. In a word: gently caress.

1: 55 psi
2: 110
3: 110
4: 130
5: 0
6: 40

Goddammit

Well that sucks. Can you just hone and re-ring with some new pistons maybe? Hopefully you're not getting into head work. Do you think you would take on engine work or leave that to the people with all the expensive tools?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I wouldn't write it off yet as needing a ring job, a zero compression test result like that could just as easily be a screwed up valve - one that isn't closing all the way, for example.

Do the numbers change significantly if you squirt some oil in each cylinder before you re-run the test?

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Well, I just attempted a redneck leak down test and from what I can tell, the valves might be to blame. On the #4 exhaust valve (the one that was sticking) when I stick the blow gun into the spark plug hole I can feel air coming out the exhaust manifold. I didn't feel any air coming out the carb or the oil dipstick tube.

I let MMO sit in the cylinders for a few days before attempting to move the engine and a few days after it moved. It seems to move freely.

I think I'll grab a rubber stopper that fits into the spark plug hole and drill a hole in the center for the blow gun so only a little air leaks out that way. If it is indeed the head, that would obviously need to be done by a machine shop.

Gulp.

Edit: I squirted oil (SAE 30) into the cylinders with poo poo/no compression and it didn't change.

Mooecow fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 30, 2009

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If oil didn't change the results, then either it's valves, or the rings are so far beyond bad that there's probably a hole in the block :v:

The valves could just be a matter of being misadjusted, you might not need to actually deal with a machine shop. Could just be gummed up too.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

If oil didn't change the results, then either it's valves, or the rings are so far beyond bad that there's probably a hole in the block :v:

The valves could just be a matter of being misadjusted, you might not need to actually deal with a machine shop. Could just be gummed up too.

I readjusted the valves and a couple cylinders picked up a couple of PSI, but within the margin of error of the gauge. Cylinder #5 still showed 0 no matter what I did. Either way I am going to end up pulling the head. :(

Given the fact the engine sat for a while, they could very easily be gummed up. From what I've been reading, it isn't unheard of for people to start a 216/235/261 after winter storage and bend a few push rods due to stuck valves.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
Wonky compression on a motor that sat really isnt a big issue. Its to be expected. If a ring has grabbed its going to definetly have isues.

Nothing that running it wont fix.

Rip the head off, Pop the valves out and wirebrush them clean, Decoke the head , Chuck it together and start the thing.

If you really get keen lap the valves.

If it has issues after a few hours then start worrying.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Pulling the head's not so bad, it's great experience & relatively cheap. Your biggest problem is securing it to something well enough to get good torque loads on the head bolts.

Seconding the zero compression = valves; even crappy rings will read & a wet-dry compression test is a dramatic indicator of rings. For what it's worth, I have two cylinders reading under 100-lbs with the other six reading over 190-210 on my 389 & it runs well enough for me to put off rebuilding it for the past five years.

Pulling the head will quiet the large bag of nagging questions about the overall health of your block.

I would also pull & lap the valves, it'll never be easier & you can practice setting your own hands on fire :v:

Your effort & progress are an inspiration. Truck looks fabulous.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 30, 2009

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Mooecow posted:

I readjusted the valves and a couple cylinders picked up a couple of PSI, but within the margin of error of the gauge. Cylinder #5 still showed 0 no matter what I did. Either way I am going to end up pulling the head. :(

after your progress so far, pulling the head is an easy job!

On a nice simple engine like this it doesnt take long to do. Especially when the engine is easily removable and you have no front bodywork getting in your way.

Atleast you will then know how healthy your engine is.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Alright, I am about to go out and poll the head. What should I spray on the head to soften up/remove the varnish/carbon/gunk that will undoubtedly be built up under there? I already have a can of Seafoam, but is there anything else that will work better?

Edit:

Just completed a redneck leakdown on the rest of the cylinders. There is leaking from:

#1 Intake
#5 Exhaust
#6 Intake

Which matches the poor compression. Head is coming off now. Yay.

Mooecow fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 30, 2009

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Here is what I found: I'm no expert, but I don't like the look of things in there :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maybe I'm being optimistic but the rust in the bores looks superficial. Head looks filthy but nothing worse than that.

When I tore the top end off of my 350, a 3M coated wire wheel in a drill made short work of the deposits on top of the pistons. That and oven cleaner / whatever other degreasers you can get your hands on.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Yeah I've pulled apart running engines in worse condition than that (Granted, it was a VW aircooled and it was only barely running ...).

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Most of what looks bad in there is really just carbon build-up. Nothing really to worry about. See if the rust can't be cleaned up with some bon-ami and a rough sponge. Thing is, I didn't see anything that said 0 PSI compression to me. Which shots are of cylinder 5?

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

trouser chili posted:

Most of what looks bad in there is really just carbon build-up. Nothing really to worry about. See if the rust can't be cleaned up with some bon-ami and a rough sponge. Thing is, I didn't see anything that said 0 PSI compression to me. Which shots are of cylinder 5?

Here are some pics of cylinder 5 and the cylinder 5 valves.

(Cylinder 5 is on the left, exhaust on the bottom)
You can see that it is definitely not completely closed. All the other exhaust valves have a puddle of seafoam in front of them, the seamfoam just drains through that one.

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.
Those cylinders look perfectly fine. The head is filthy, I'd take it to a machine shop and have it rebuilt for unleaded fuel, that'll take care of any issues there. Meanwhile, flip that engine over, pull the oil pan and plastigage your bearings. It's cheap and you may as well find out what shape they're in. It's not a bad idea to replace your main seals while you're at it. The carbon deposits on the pistons can be removed with a wire wheel.

That engine looks like it was running before it was removed and allowed to sit. A bit of cleaning up, a bit of paint to make it purdy, and you should be all set to go.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Appears we were running a bit rich for a while, there.

Other than that, it looks great. Given the carbon on the pistons, you may well have nice big balls of coal on some of your valve stems, which may explain why they're not closing all of the way. Take a peek &/or reach into the intake & exhaust ports & see if you can see the valve stems.

Seconding that that motor was running not that long ago.

Cylinders look great. Remove, clean, lap & reinstall the valves, replace the stem seals; check for worn, collapsed or broken return springs; degrease anything else, button it up & away you go.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 31, 2009

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Definitely good news, it would appear. Head to a machine shop and some good elbow grease on the block, and you should have a perfectly healthy engine, judging by pictures on the internet. :)

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

I have been using a nylon brush to clean up the carbon and the two intake valves are moving freely now and sealing well. The #5 exhaust, however, is being a pain. It refuses to move freely and stays stuck open. No matter how I tap on it, it won't close, so that explains the 0 PSI.

So I guess that means I get to pull the valves and give them all a really good cleaning. All I need is a valve spring compressor and new valve stem seals,right?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
You may also want to consider replacing the valve guides while it's apart.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Your doing a great job mooecow! I'm loving this thread. I'd love to come check out your truck sometime next summer when I get back to CT. I promise I'm not (that) crazy. I'm also working on an old truck, a 56 IH and your making me look like a huge slacker since mine still isn't running. Your welcome to come see my trucks too, I'm just learning about them and I could talk about them all day.

I second getting the head rebuilt with new valve guides and hardened valve seats for unleaded. I'm going to end up doing it for mine. That way of the head is warped it can be planed and you wont have to worry about head gasket problems later on.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
As an autobody tech who thought you were crazy for even starting this project and checking back on your progress now, it's a shame you weren't by me. I'd have painted your truck for free minus paint expense as a salute to a job well undertaken.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Mooecow posted:

I have been using a nylon brush to clean up the carbon and the two intake valves are moving freely now and sealing well. The #5 exhaust, however, is being a pain. It refuses to move freely and stays stuck open. No matter how I tap on it, it won't close, so that explains the 0 PSI.

So I guess that means I get to pull the valves and give them all a really good cleaning. All I need is a valve spring compressor and new valve stem seals,right?

That's really good news. Trouser chili is right, replace valve guides (and maybe springs) on #5 exhaust valves and you'll be good to go.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Me being the forum nong suggests just doing a quick decarbon and Valve stem seal job.

Guides are going to start making it expensive. Its the smart thing to do but its a OHV head, Ripping it off later really isnt that hard . Just get it going first and see whats up with it.

Ghetto valve compressors can be made with a dril press and a u pronged attachment. And use a suspension rubber to take up the valve clearance whilst you are compressing it.

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.

Kaptainballistik posted:

... nong ...

What a wonderfully Australian word. Is a nong similar to a bogan?

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

EvilDonald posted:

What a wonderfully Australian word. Is a nong similar to a bogan?

I don't know, but I tried to GIS it and I wasn't especially pleased.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

From urban dictonary..

In Australian slang, nong is used as a pretty mild and/or endearing insult. a bit of a twit, or idiot. nothing too mean or horrid is meant by calling someone a nong.

See? Im the nong!!

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!

Blaster of Justice posted:

I don't know, but I tried to GIS it and I wasn't especially pleased.

I'm just getting scantily clad photos of Asian girls. Obviously my results must have been different from yours.

vvv It is. Just lots of naked Asian women.

Moruitelda fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 2, 2010

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Moruitelda posted:

I'm just getting scantily clad photos of Asian girls. Obviously my results must have been different from yours.

Turn safe search off :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Moruitelda posted:

vvv It is. Just lots of naked Asian women.

... look closer.

• Locked thread