Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

drunk asian neighbor posted:

The last 2 Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra albums, Perfect Future and PARADISE BLUE are excellent. I haven't heard their earlier stuff but I imagine it rules too.

Stompin' on DOWN BEAT ALLEY is a really great album. As for other J-ska Oi-SKALL Mates are a lot of fun plus they do a sweet drunken version of Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

heh I forgot TSPO only because yeah I have like 5 cds and they're like the Cure in that there are like 3 good tracks per cd.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
a friend and i are writing a tv show and i've already picked a tspo song as the main theme

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
I know it was a couple pages back; but my girlfriend, who is quite good at this sort of thing, thinks that the last Streetlight Manifesto teaser song is a Herb Alpert song.

Any ideas on song 5? SA needs to own Chris Thatcher

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
One of my buds back home just called me: RazSum is doing another Christmas show, the 26th this year

I cannot wait

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

This is representative of the kind of morning I'm having, but I made a ska spotting while watching Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations"

The last part of the episode with the Philippines where they're roasting the pig, his travel guide kid is wearing a Streetlight shirt.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

This is representative of the kind of morning I'm having, but I made a ska spotting while watching Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations"

The last part of the episode with the Philippines where they're roasting the pig, his travel guide kid is wearing a Streetlight shirt.

Reminds me of a documentary I watched in Biology in my freshman year of college, about native Amazon tribes and the impact of the outside world, and one of the old tribal women was wearing a Fishbone shirt.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

For those of you who wanted to see Bim Skala Bim but couldn't make the Bosstones show you're in luck!

New Years Eve with Bim Skala Bim and Have Nots
Also featuring Morgan Knockers, Brunt of It and more TBA!
Dec 31 2009 at The Middle East Downstairs
http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/010043877E9C5B2D?artistid=734554&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=5

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Aquabats posted a new note on Facebook, linking to a couple holiday covers

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=216787220652

Every time I read something from them I feel like I'm really loving high

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

yep

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 26, 2009

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I know the Bosstones still have tomorrow to play, but holy gently caress. I don't see how they can beat tonight. From Ken Casey stealing Blanta, Dicky bringing a kid who couldn't have been more than 12 on stage to sing all of Impression ("the song that bought the houses"), to Nate loving Albert joining them for the encore...
Total awesomeness.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I know the Bosstones still have tomorrow to play, but holy gently caress. I don't see how they can beat tonight. From Ken Casey stealing Blanta, Dicky bringing a kid who couldn't have been more than 12 on stage to sing all of Impression ("the song that bought the houses"), to Nate loving Albert joining them for the encore...
Total awesomeness.

That kid was loving awesome. lovely phone pics forthcoming.
Also of note, I saw them the first and third nights and if I remember right the only songs they repeated were Impression, Royal Oil, and maybe one more.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Yeah I saw them last night, tonight, and will be seeing them tomorrow. The only repeats were Impression and Royal Oil from those nights. I really like how they played different songs off the new cd instead of them just playing the same ones. I expected to hear Graffiti Worth Reading again but was pleasantly surprised to hear other songs.

Setlist was
Dr. D
I Want My City Back
You Left Right
Almost Anything Goes
All Things Considered
How I Was (?)
Too Many Stars
Someday I Suppose
Sugar Free
Wrong Thing (?)
Desmond Dekker
Rascal King
Finally
Royal Oil
Cowboy Coffee
Where'd You Go
Holy Smoke
Impression
Little Big Ugly
--Encore:
X-Mas
Kinder Words
Sad Excuse

edit: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=223358843475&ref=mf
Ken Casey's ransom video for Blanta

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 29, 2009

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh yeah Desmond Dekker and Rascal King were repeats too, I don't know how I forgot about those. Still a crazy varied setlist, makes me wish I had seen them the 2nd night.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Total awesomeness.

Oh my god I want to party with that kid

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Last night was one of the best concerts I've ever been to :toot:

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Total awesomeness.

Isn't that this kid from last year? (around 1:45)

Quebec Bagnet fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 30, 2009

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Edit: gently caress you got me.

You broke my heart Chwoka

snackcakes fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 30, 2009

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just got back from the last show.

If you have a chance to ever see the Bosstones, make sure it's at the Middle East.

Highlights from the night include me and a bunch of dudes talking about how that "knock on wood" song was "so rad" before the show and Joe Gittleman coming up to us and asking us what the gently caress we were on about and how he then had to go "adjust" the setlist. Impression was the first song they played.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I love Lil Wayne.

I have no doubts that album would be terrible, but I would probably still enjoy it anyways.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

I love Lil Wayne.

I have no doubts that album would be terrible, but I would probably still enjoy it anyways.

Click the picture.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Chwoka posted:

Click the picture.

Damnit. That could have been such a hilariously awesome album.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Seriously.

ouch. haha.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, did anyone else notice that The Aquabats! are back up to a seven piece roster in that holiday post?

The money from Yo Gabba Gabba must be helping out.

I'm also hoping for a Bosstones tour this summer. This year's Warped line-up is the first some of my friends have wanted to see in six years. Having the Bosstones would get be back at Warped, but I'd much rather have them on their own tour so they can play a full set.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

So, did anyone else notice that The Aquabats! are back up to a seven piece roster in that holiday post?

:monocle:

come back to new york :(

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
god I actually have hope for their next album, if/when they do it

Not a huge fan of the electronic thing

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The money from Yo Gabba Gabba must be helping out.

I'm also hoping for a Bosstones tour this summer. This year's Warped line-up is the first some of my friends have wanted to see in six years. Having the Bosstones would get be back at Warped, but I'd much rather have them on their own tour so they can play a full set.

Jesus Christ what a horrifying lineup.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

reel big fish is literally the only band on that list that isn't lovely

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Jesus Christ what a horrifying lineup.

They're mostly in it to see AWK.

I haven't the heart to say, "you were just onstage with him while he played with a full orchestra in Chicago. How can you be stoked for a twenty minute Warped Tour set?"

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Yeah looking at that list I was all "ok cool Far From Finished, Reel Big Fish, lol sum41 is still around? oh that's it."

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

The Flatliners are going to be at warped, they're really good too

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tip the Van and Deal's Gone Bad are also listed. Like I said, I'm hoping the Bosstones do their own tour and bring along some other bands.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

They should tour with Bim Skala Bim cause those guys rocked.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tip the Van and Deal's Gone Bad are also listed. Like I said, I'm hoping the Bosstones do their own tour and bring along some other bands.

All I remember about Tip the Van is that the girls are really hot, and also I guess they helped 4point0 do a cover on Halloween because it required a female vocalist and they didn't have their own that night

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

They're kind of good but the singing in parallel fourths (?) annoys me after about 4 songs.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

They're kind of good but the singing in parallel fourths (?) annoys me after about 4 songs.

Luckily, the EP I picked up by them was only three songs long. If they're at Warped along with AWK and Reel Big Fish I might consider it.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

It's been much too long since anyone posted in this thread and I need to share my outrage.

I downloaded the last.fm app for my Droid and decided to let it play the Recommendations station (I'd been scrobbling Ska exclusively just for this!)

The first song that pops up is by The Hippos and it sounds pretty good. Then I realize it sounds really familiar. Then I further realized it was a song by The JB Conspiracy. There was no way for me to flag it as being wrong. Now people are gonna hear that amazing song and not know who really made it!

edit: perhaps it will be possible to flag it in the real last.fm

double edit: The one on the website is correct! :psyduck:

snackcakes fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 12, 2010

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thornes posted:

The first song that pops up is by The Hippos and it sounds pretty good. Then I realize it sounds really familiar. Then I further realized it was a song by The JB Conspiracy. There was no way for me to flag it as being wrong. Now people are gonna hear that amazing song and not know who really made it!

That reminds me of Napster having every random ska cover being listed as Less Than Jake songs. Even Reel Big Fish songs were being listed as Less Than Jake.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

something i totally just realized for the first time and it makes the song that much better for me now:

the horn part at 3:20 in if and when we rise is a jazzed-up version of brahm's hungarian dance #5

i always knew i heard it somewhere before but could never pinpoint it. that's one of the main reasons why streetlight rules, they get their influences from so many non-traditional ska genres

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

That reminds me of Napster having every random ska cover being listed as Less Than Jake songs. Even Reel Big Fish songs were being listed as Less Than Jake.

every parody song, every comic song, every modern polka song, every prank phone call, all tagged as Weird Al