Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Bugdrvr posted:

I just seem to get lucky on Craigslist sometimes. Not always though. The kind of running Ninja was kind of in 1000 pieces. It would have made a nice project but I'm out of room. Need to get a storage unit or something.
Hit me up if you want to hang out. I'm always either breaking or fixing something on someones bike.

You can help get my CB200 up and running sometime- I'm basically stumped as to why it refuses to idle and has no power, even after going through every possible thing. Let me know if you are ever near the coast, I'm not particularly a beginner mechanic but I always like hearing other's input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was just watching some channel called HD theater, and they had a commerical for the 2009 Isle of Man TT with all the slo-mo footage from that youtube video. It'll be playing Monday at 9 EST for anyone who has that channel.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Slim Pickens posted:

I was just watching some channel called HD theater, and they had a commerical for the 2009 Isle of Man TT with all the slo-mo footage from that youtube video. It'll be playing Monday at 9 EST for anyone who has that channel.

Thats been going on for at least a couple of weeks. I DVR'd the entire bunch of races and practice runs to rewatch over and over :v:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm at my mom's for the holidays and had no idea, and I'm gonna be back in Washington before monday. I wish I had HD channels sometimes. :sigh:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Chill_Bebop posted:

You can help get my CB200 up and running sometime- I'm basically stumped as to why it refuses to idle and has no power, even after going through every possible thing. Let me know if you are ever near the coast, I'm not particularly a beginner mechanic but I always like hearing other's input.

Heck yeah I'll help you with the CB. I love working on old bikes, Hondas especially. IM me sometime this weekend if you want. I'm doing some stuff on the Bandit but it will only take a few hours. I can ride up and check it out if you want.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Bugdrvr posted:

Heck yeah I'll help you with the CB. I love working on old bikes, Hondas especially. IM me sometime this weekend if you want. I'm doing some stuff on the Bandit but it will only take a few hours. I can ride up and check it out if you want.

Whats your IM Address? TheRealKarlMarx has never shown up on my AIM contacts list.

Look in my profile for all my contact info.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Did you post a thread about it? :-)

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Nerobro posted:

Did you post a thread about it? :-)

I might as well, now :P

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Just to get it rolling, be sure to post "everything" you did to it. Z3n rides a CB200 when he's feeling spunky. And I'm pretty good with points and carbs these days. Off the top of my head, it sounds like you have low compression. But... well.. we'll continue in your thread.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Chill_Bebop posted:

Whats your IM Address? TheRealKarlMarx has never shown up on my AIM contacts list.

Look in my profile for all my contact info.

I guess my gmail doesn't sign into that anymore for some reason and I have no idea what the password is. Shoot a PM here or just email at jim.kresky (at) gmail.

You should definitely start a thread. I guess I should make a Baby Bandit thread once I start actually doing stuff to it.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
Haha, poo poo. 'Bike' magazine in the UK dynoed a BMW S1000RR and found it makes 184bhp at the rear wheel, more than an RSV4/1198S/ZX10R/Hayabusa on the same dyno. I know dynos are very woolly and you can fudge the figures etc but that's still hilariously overpowered.

edit: the other interesting thing in the article is that the project lead for the S1000RR said he felt the GSX-R1000 K5 was the best litrebike around and the one they took the most inspiration from.

ranathari fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 31, 2009

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, been looking for old bikes and playing with the idea of doing a cafe conversion. Found this CB450 for $450.

Looks like poo poo and didn't have a lot of info in the ad other than "it runs good.". I'd want to do a ton of changes anyways, and hopefully have something beautiful like this.

Think it's worth a look at least?

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 3, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'll help you ride the poo poo out of it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

redscare posted:

I'd be one of those people too if I had a garage :(

I'm terrified of becoming one of those people, now that we have a garage. I'm on the way already. :ohdear:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I'm assuming this is a sweet deal? '73 Ducati for $500, afflicted with storagesheditis.

http://eugene.craigslist.org/mcy/1538418602.html

I'm too broke, maybe another OR goon wants to inquire.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm terrified of becoming one of those people, now that we have a garage. I'm on the way already. :ohdear:

Come to the dark side

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sloppy posted:

I'm assuming this is a sweet deal? '73 Ducati for $500, afflicted with storagesheditis.

http://eugene.craigslist.org/mcy/1538418602.html

I'm too broke, maybe another OR goon wants to inquire.

You should buy that.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/ducati_750_s_sport_1973.php

I mean, like...NOW. If it's in even decent condition, buy buy buy.

Hey, look at this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974...=item2eaa1921dc

23k. Holy poo poo.

Go buy that motorcycle. The 73 is the first year of the L twin. That's a seriously iconic motorcycle.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 5, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Holy poo poo. Buy it. Now.

(if its more than a pile of rust)

Eugene isn't that far from here...

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Z3n posted:

You should buy that.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/ducati_750_s_sport_1973.php

I mean, like...NOW. If it's in even decent condition, buy buy buy.

Hey, look at this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974...=item2eaa1921dc

23k. Holy poo poo.

Go buy that motorcycle. The 73 is the first year of the L twin. That's a seriously iconic motorcycle.

If I weren't in NJ, I'd be buying it. Today.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

laymil posted:

If I weren't in NJ, I'd be buying it. Today.

If I weren't CA, I wouldn't be posting.

Hell, if the g/f wasn't in the bay area with the truck, I'd probably be going home sick and getting in the truck.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

If I had the money, I wouldn't be posting here until after I bought it :v:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Find out more about it. If it's a SS, then holy gently caress it's an awesome find. A GT or sport would be great, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's already received deals for a couple grand, though.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
if you guys are so hot on it, jsut paypal together a buy-in and then sell it together and split whatever you get.

form an llc! There must be an A/T thread for stuff like this.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

if you guys are so hot on it, jsut paypal together a buy-in and then sell it together and split whatever you get.

I already offered to front the money, but z3n is greedy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I'm willing to front all of the money for it, but I want to know that it's not a pile of rust first. :(

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
looks like its already gone. You snooze you lose, guys

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Armacham posted:

looks like its already gone. You snooze you lose, guys

Not really a surprise. I couldn't have physically made it up there in the time since it was posted anyways :(

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
If any of you read Sport Rider, they're offering a 1 year subscription (10 issues) for $4.29 here -> http://www.bestdealmagazines.com/deal.asp

It's a 'deal of the day' thing though, so I assume it'll be gone tonight at midnight.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Fantastipotamus posted:

If any of you read Sport Rider, they're offering a 1 year subscription (10 issues) for $4.29 here -> http://www.bestdealmagazines.com/deal.asp

It's a 'deal of the day' thing though, so I assume it'll be gone tonight at midnight.

Thanks! It's not my favorite mag, but for 4$...who cares?

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.
I suspected something was coming loose on my bike because it's been making rattly noises over bumps recently. I think I've fixed what was coming loose - the engine mount bolts, because I didn't tighten them enough after installing frame sliders.
:ughh:
To be fair, I think the manufacturer's instructions for installing them are pretty vague:

R&G Racing Products posted:

Tighten bolt until you feel some compression from inside the protector. Turn a little more so that you feel the compression increase slightly. Then apply a quarter turn. Do not overtighten as damage can occur to the bike. Do not exceed 40nm of torque.
Couldn't they just give an actual torque figure? :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They did - 40 Nm.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

They did - 40 Nm.

Translation from moonspeak: 29 foot pounds. Google is way handy for these conversions...just toss in 40 newton meters to foot pounds and it'll spit out the appropriate conversion. Of course that's assuming that your wrench doesn't have them all marked on it already...a lot of them do.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Question from the Department of Bad Ideas: How bad of an idea is getting a used cop bike at auction because I have a massive :dong: for the 1200 RT-P

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

redscare posted:

Question from the Department of Bad Ideas: How bad of an idea is getting a used cop bike at auction because I have a massive :dong: for the 1200 RT-P

Kind of a bad idea. They see a LOT of abuse in the line of work, they're well maintained, but a cop will do things that a civilian would never do...dump the bike as a means of stopping it to arrest someone, just letting it land on the crash bars when they come to a stop, idling for long periods of time, a lot of full throttle, lotta hard on the brakes, plus the additional weight of all the police gear...

I'd buy one but I'd also budget to replace just about everything on it, if you can't get a good enough deal on it to make that feasible, I wouldn't buy one.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I've always just multiplied the nm value by .75 to get ft-lbs.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

redscare posted:

If you buy one then wear any gear that is any way close to what bike cops wear, I'm going to airmail you a punch in the dick.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

"No honest! I used to ride in khakis and a white open face on my Ninja 250 as well!"

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

2ndclasscitizen posted:

If you buy one then wear any gear that is any way close to what bike cops wear, I'm going to airmail you a punch in the dick.

Hah! I'd go euro-cop style with a white full-face and nondescript blue textile gear :D

And I don't have a Ninja 250 and I resent that accusation :colbert:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I can see this being a new craze for middle aged men now that the Panther platform cars are no longer being produced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

If I weren't selling the ZZR1200, I'd be very tempted to paint it black and white in a cop inspired setup. People see you better, and i'll take any help I can get on that front.