Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

Flirty Bertie posted:

Right, I've probably done the levelling up thing completely wrong (kept putting levels into any old thing in some sort of balancing fashion; everything apart from Luck is at least level 20). I'm about Soul Level 110 and predictably, on my New Game + I'm getting caned by Black Phantoms, though a few of those defeats were due to choking when I could have easily won.

This is making defeating the Old Monk a bit of a pain; I know I could defeat him in offline mode but I'd like to be able to hold my own to some extent against BPs. Is it worth giving up the ghost and starting again if I've got fairly high levels in arbitrary stats I'm not that fussed about (namely Will, Faith and Magic)? I just don't want to walk down a dead end at some point, if that's possible.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a generalist type build... Certainly not worth rerolling over. If anything it's the opposite. If you had 110 points in Luck you might have a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VIRGIN HEAT
May 1, 2009

Well, that gives me a bit of hope. I probably need better weapons to combat other bastards. Or skill.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Master Stur posted:

Well I found a black eye stone yesterday and put it to use today. Goddamn invading worlds is a blast! I've had people magic spam me to death, summon blue phantoms for help, die before I found them and a ten minute duel just now with my victory. The guy was a good sport, this is so fun.
What stops people from using Evacuate? I'm guessing the recall item is too valuable but the miracle is essentially free until you need to start freeing up slots for the big ones.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 6, 2010

Boss Bee
Oct 25, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

What stops people from using Evacuate? I'm guessing the recall item is too much work but the miracle is essentially free until you need to start freeing up slots for the big ones.

Evacuate won't work, you're stuck there until one of you dies.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
That's what Banish is for.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
I'm on the home stretch now for beating the game my first time. :unsmith:

This buddy here has been helpin me all the way, just two archdemons left!

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Always got to wash them at their ends.
Tower Knight is giving me all sorts of problems. I have basically breezed through Phalanx and the arduous path to TK, but I'm just not even cracking the guy at all. I'm at Soul Level 16.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Sumixam posted:

Tower Knight is giving me all sorts of problems. I have basically breezed through Phalanx and the arduous path to TK, but I'm just not even cracking the guy at all. I'm at Soul Level 16.

Just run around his feet slashing at his ankles. Once you get used to his patterns it's really easy to dodge his attacks. If you get hit, feel free to retreat to a tower to heal up or recalibrate yourself.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
I'm playing as a Barbrian (I misspelled it onpurpose guess what game has it spelled like that for bonus geek points) and am constantly being crushed.

I'm at SL 17 but don't think I'm ready to venture to other archstones. I have a bastard sword but no armor; when I went to the other stones I was raped. Should I still be hanging around Boletarian Castle? I mean I am still easily killed by Red-Eye Knights and dogs(?). Is there any hope of me busting up Tower Knight? Should I venture elsewhere for armor?

I've been building him as a barbarian pretty much to form (STR,END,VIT). Basically should I just keep on building power at the castle or do I need to go elsewhere to increase my stats more efficiently?

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Always got to wash them at their ends.

Funkysauce posted:

I'm playing as a Barbrian (I misspelled it onpurpose guess what game has it spelled like that for bonus geek points) and am constantly being crushed.

I'm at SL 17 but don't think I'm ready to venture to other archstones. I have a bastard sword but no armor; when I went to the other stones I was raped. Should I still be hanging around Boletarian Castle? I mean I am still easily killed by Red-Eye Knights and dogs(?). Is there any hope of me busting up Tower Knight? Should I venture elsewhere for armor?

I've been building him as a barbarian pretty much to form (STR,END,VIT). Basically should I just keep on building power at the castle or do I need to go elsewhere to increase my stats more efficiently?

Funkysauce posted:

I'm at SL 17 but don't think I'm ready to venture to other archstones. I have a bastard sword but no armor;

Funkysauce posted:

no armor

Hmmm...

e: but then again armor isn't helping me not die against Tower Knight

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Sumixam posted:

Hmmm...

e: but then again armor isn't helping me not die against Tower Knight

Yeah but where can I get some armor? So far I've only come across mage gear!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
One of the vendors early on should sell plate. I think it's the shady guy in 1-x or Blacksmith Ed in 2-1 but I'm not sure. As for Tower Knight, put down a summon marker in 1-2 then accompany someone to beat him. This will get you your body back so you can summon your own blue phantom for help in your game. I used this strategy for Adjudicator after he pinned me between the wall and his gut one too many times.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
What is Garl weak against? I can't do more then 22 damage against his BP.

I guess I should add I'm using a Blessed Halberd +4

Space Bat fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 7, 2010

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
In my experience Garl is weak to tight spaces and having a huge loving weapon that you can easily dodge and then stab and slash him four or five times with a crescent falchion before having to roll out his way and repeat. You can also plink him to death with arrows I think, although I did have a lava bow when I tried this, and it does take a gently caress ton of arrows.

If I remember correctly his armor and shield protect against magic and things like plague and poison, but poison cloud did work, just much more slowly than usual I think.

Edit: That Halberd should probably work out well as long as you dodge him, but if you're only doing 22 damage, then maybe try putting turpentine or sticky white stuff on it.

VV That's a good technique for most NPC BPs you encounter. Just keep knocking 'em down with something like the Meat Cleaver.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 7, 2010

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I just got a big rear end weapon of my own and slapped Garl around like a little bitch. The big swords will knock him right over.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Funkysauce posted:

I was in your exact situation earlier, except I had more trouble getting to the tower knight himself rather than fighting it.

What I did was take out all of the archers first, and tried to stop it from using his spear-sweep attack as much as I could. If you use Sticky White Stuff, you can get a lot of good damage on both his ankles, and then go in for his face. I did not know about this when I beat him, but I'm sure it should make things easier

His hits will wreck your poo poo, but if you can get him into a pattern of stomping/leaping backwards, you should be fine.

For my own question: Is it possible to kill Driveby mcDragon in melee? What's a good ranged weapon to do so? I don't seem to have enough time to target him then hit him with a bow.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Arrrthritis posted:

For my own question: Is it possible to kill Driveby mcDragon in melee? What's a good ranged weapon to do so? I don't seem to have enough time to target him then hit him with a bow.

I've never tried melee, but I doubt it is possible. The bow works fine if you don't lock on and use manual aiming mode.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Arrrthritis posted:

Supposedly you can stand right where his claws come down and do an overhead swing with a large two-handed weapon like the Meat Cleaver, starting a half-second after he clears the wall. You'll be getting hit by the claws but as long as you avoid the fire you will be OK.

I still need to beat Flamelurker before I can try this out on my own but that's what the english wiki said to try.

EvilUrchin
Jun 13, 2007

Sigmar's Fist: 5 Star Crash Rating

FancyMike posted:

I just got a big rear end weapon of my own and slapped Garl around like a little bitch. The big swords will knock him right over.

Pretty much this. I used the Meat Cleaver and utterly ruined his day. A heavy strike will put him on his face, allowing you to follow up a few times then plant him into the ground again.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Space Bat posted:

He's weak to two-handed overhand swings with the meat cleaver. His dark silver armor and shield makes magic pretty much useless against him, so use a weapon that does a lot of purely physical damage. With the meat cleaver you can just bash the poo poo out of him with the R2 attack until he dies, his attacks are slow/easy enough to dodge. Be sure your equipment burden isn't so high you can't roll away quickly, and when he switches to his talisman hit him since he can heal or cast god's wrath.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Space Bat posted:

I walk forward, then back when he starts swinging, then R2 with a Longsword did the job. Then back away again.

I've been reading this thread for ages. I've nearly finished my first game. I dunno if I'll bother with NG+, but it's FANTASTIC as a game. Explaining the appeal to people is loving impossible though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Flirty Bertie posted:

Right, I've probably done the levelling up thing completely wrong (kept putting levels into any old thing in some sort of balancing fashion; everything apart from Luck is at least level 20). I'm about Soul Level 110 and predictably, on my New Game + I'm getting caned by Black Phantoms, though a few of those defeats were due to choking when I could have easily won.

This is making defeating the Old Monk a bit of a pain; I know I could defeat him in offline mode but I'd like to be able to hold my own to some extent against BPs. Is it worth giving up the ghost and starting again if I've got fairly high levels in arbitrary stats I'm not that fussed about (namely Will, Faith and Magic)? I just don't want to walk down a dead end at some point, if that's possible.

I beat NG+ with that type of build. You're right that it's not so great in PVP, but I found it better to clear the game because you can use different things for different circumstances instead of having to stick with similar strategies. I could choose to melee, bow, magic, or whatever and if you switch around enough equipment just about anything will work. I also pumped Luck and had blueblood sword as my main weapon, so even if you have high luck you can make it work.

It's not that your build is bad, it's that in NG+ typically the Old Monk people are fully decked out specifically for PVP and want to kill you.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's not that your build is bad, it's that in NG+ typically the Old Monk people are fully decked out specifically for PVP and want to kill you.
Is the scraping spear enough of a deterrent in PvP? I might not kill the black phantom but his repair bill will make him remember me.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Shumagorath posted:

Is the scraping spear enough of a deterrent in PvP? I might not kill the black phantom but his repair bill will make him remember me.

Unless they're using magic, breaking all their poo poo will make them useless in PvP.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I got this game yesterday and played through 1-1 last night. I'm absolutely in love with this game but I'm a little bit scared of the whole stats/level up mechanic. I'm a royal - does anyone have any advice for how I should spend my souls? I just bought some fire spell and have about 8,500 souls left.

Also - how do I cast magic? I have the silver catalyst in my left hand but nothing happens when I press the up button.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

the truth posted:

I got this game yesterday and played through 1-1 last night. I'm absolutely in love with this game but I'm a little bit scared of the whole stats/level up mechanic. I'm a royal - does anyone have any advice for how I should spend my souls? I just bought some fire spell and have about 8,500 souls left.
I'd suggest trying and learning melee. There's no wrong way to spend your souls however, but what's best depends on how you play.

quote:

Also - how do I cast magic? I have the silver catalyst in my left hand but nothing happens when I press the up button.
L1. If you had the catalyst in your right hand it would R1.

Up cycles between memorized spells/miracles.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

KGBAgent185 posted:

Unless they're using magic, breaking all their poo poo will make them useless in PvP.

I've gotten killed by every black phantom that has invaded me, so next time I'm in body form I'm going to have the scraping spear, acid cloud, and banish all ready to go. I think I should have beaten a couple of them but generally I get killed without even seeing the swing that killed me because the lag is so terrible. Given that I'm on FiOS, I think that's bullshit, so I'm just going to cheeze anyone else who invades me. Break all their poo poo, then Banish for soul level punishment.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Hamburger Test posted:

I'd suggest trying and learning melee. There's no wrong way to spend your souls however, but what's best depends on how you play.

Melee as in... swordplay? I have a pretty cool Scimitar+1 that I can bump up to +2 but I'm not sure if I should save the sharpstones (?) for something else. And I figured out the magic - I didn't realize that I had to press the left button to equip my catalyst.

I just ran through 1-1 again and killed just about everything without any trouble. I guess it's time to move on to the next level :(

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Don't worry about small sharp and hard stones, you can buy them out the wazoo later in 2-x from the vendor. If you want to go the magic route, level up magic, intelligence, etc., but honestly I just leveled up my stats based on the requirements of the equipment I found that I wanted to use. You can easily change your whole build and technique later, and farming souls in certain areas means you won't have to worry about costs or losing souls from deaths, unless you lose like 50K or more, but then it's just kind of a pain to farm them back. And yes, you will lose that many at some point, and you will be mad, but you will keep playing and you won't quite know why.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

the truth posted:

Melee as in... swordplay? I have a pretty cool Scimitar+1 that I can bump up to +2 but I'm not sure if I should save the sharpstones (?) for something else. And I figured out the magic - I didn't realize that I had to press the left button to equip my catalyst.

I just ran through 1-1 again and killed just about everything without any trouble. I guess it's time to move on to the next level :(

All I meant was to make sure you do use the melee system, as relying too much on magic makes many parts of the game too easy. Of course my comment came off stupid as you had to have used melee if you completed the first level without knowing how to use magic.

As for stones, there's no real harm in spending shards and large shards of hardstone/sharpstone as you can always buy more of those. The only point is when you find a weapon type you really like, you might want to consider taking it to one of the many other branches which require other stones and are only available at either +3 or +6.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I'm at 1-4 stage and every time I run along the part where the Blue Dragon is, I get right to what seems to be the very end of where he flames, and I get hit before I can get through. Any tips other than spending hours shooting him with arrows?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Fellblade posted:

I'm at 1-4 stage and every time I run along the part where the Blue Dragon is, I get right to what seems to be the very end of where he flames, and I get hit before I can get through. Any tips other than spending hours shooting him with arrows?

Bust out the Large Brushwood Shield. That's what I did, anyway. It wasn't pretty, but I did get to the end.

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH

Sumixam posted:

I've found that if you maneuver yourself towards and away on his shield side, he'll do that big all-out smash with it most every time.
As soon as the shockwave subsides, you should have enough time to sprint behind him and give his ankle a wallop, only one though,
then back off, rinse and repeat.
Remember, get the biggest sword you can and go two-handed.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Twanki posted:

I've found that if you maneuver yourself towards and away on his shield side, he'll do that big all-out smash with it most every time.
As soon as the shockwave subsides, you should have enough time to sprint behind him and give his ankle a wallop, only one though,
then back off, rinse and repeat.
Remember, get the biggest sword you can and go two-handed.

The biggest tip I can give for tower knight is do not be afraid to get stuck in.

If he does his big, overhand shield smash, run straight at him, going between his legs. It takes him so long to recover that you can usually shear of at least one layer of armour on one of his ankles before he's ready again.

Keep your eye on him too. He clearly telegraphs everything he'll do, even his quick little backstep move thing.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 7, 2010

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

TehSaurus posted:

Bust out the Large Brushwood Shield. That's what I did, anyway. It wasn't pretty, but I did get to the end.

Is it noticably better than the Purple Flame Shield? I currently have 22 strength so can't use the Brushwood Shield to full capacity, but I'm not sure what that effects. I also only have 334 hp so I get 1 shotted by the fire normally.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Space Bat posted:

Garl is really easy to kill with firestorm, BP or no.

The trick is to get him to remove his shield. When he's a BP he stands in that one spot until you come close, then swings. If he gets back to that spot and you've retreated, he starts his "stand there and wait for you, shield up" strategy.

So you've got to knock his rear end back, and keep him there a while. The easiest way is to dodge back when he swings, and then Firestorm/Meat Cleaver. This will knock him back halfway down the hill, if you're lucky. Once he's back, switch to twohanding (if you aren't already), and chances are, he will too. Once he is twohanding, demolish him with Firestorm.

Non-BP Garl loves to drop his shield and switch to twohanding. Since he only approaches when you reach the end of the walkway, use this to your advantage. Let him run up and attack, dodge back, and he'll start walking backwards to the spot near Astraea. Hit him in the back with magic this whole time. He won't come back to get you until you get near the end of the path again. Do the same trick to get him to twohand, and then let him walk partway back his spot. Get him to chase you again, and then Firestorm him to death.

I guess it's just cheesing his AI, but it works. His defense only goes up as you do NG+ and so on. Since he's so predictable (stands there and then comes at you when he's close), you can use Morion Blade + Clever Rat's Ring to great effect.

And with maximum stamina and a Purple Flame Shield +10, you can actually block his R1 attack, and maybe the R2.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Fellblade posted:

Is it noticably better than the Purple Flame Shield? I currently have 22 strength so can't use the Brushwood Shield to full capacity, but I'm not sure what that effects. I also only have 334 hp so I get 1 shotted by the fire normally.

He recommended that shield because it has 100% fire block. You can run with it out in front of you and block the fire from the Dragon though it will drain most/all of your stamina. Still, that should let you make it to the end safely. I don't think being able to use it effectively or not matters for blocking the flames. The shield itself isn't really much better than the PFS. At max level it has 80 hitres vs the 82 of the PFS and of course 100% fire block vs the 90% of the PFS.

evilalien fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 7, 2010

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

evilalien posted:

He recommended that shield because it has 100% fire block. You can run with it out in front of you and block the fire from the Dragon though it will drain most/all of your stamina. Still, that should let you make it to the end safely. I don't think being able to use it effectively or not matters for blocking the flames. The shield itself isn't really much better than the PFS. At max level it has 80 hitres vs the 82 of the PFS and of course 100% fire block vs the 90% of the PFS.

Well it seems I still die in one hit with it equipped and blocking, is there a specific way I need to do it?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Just beat 2-1 without dying, I feel awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Here's the haps. I started off with a wanderer, and now I'm at SL63. I have about 34 in dex and using sharp uchigatana that buffs off dex. I have about 20 points in magic which was what I felt like I needed for the main game. Rest of my stats are around 15.

I recently started getting into invading, didn't do it at all until 2 nights ago. I find myself doing okay vs randoms but I lose the majority of the time vs people who build up specifically to pvp. How should I plan out my guy from here so I have a chance?

• Locked thread