Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Just bought tickets for next Wednesday in Detroit, taking my dad for his 50th birthday. Gonna be a long week...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Programmable Soda
Aug 8, 2008

Prince of Tennis posted:

If you appreciate pop then that's good, but your post gave off the impression that you don't like mainstream music and thought Lady Gaga is somehow different. This is ironic because the whole point is she is pop music given the face of art to make it "OK" to like. I mentioned Warhol because she's basically putting a picture of Cambell's Soup into a museum so that it is art. If you think Gaga is separate from the "garbage mainstream music" you are one of the people being made a fool of for separating high art and low art.

This is not to say Gaga isn't extremely unique and talented, but music is not where she innovates, and she has acknowledged as much.

Okay, thanks for explaining your point. Now I see that I came off as some kind of music snob, but I gotta tell you, I'm not.

I do listen to pop music, including La Roux, Yelle, Ladyhawke, Madonna, and Heloise & The Savoir Faire, but I don't like people like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Pink or Beyoncé. I don't mind their stuff, even though it's not my cup of tea; I wouldn't choose to listen to them while driving or anything, but I don't consider them a disgrace to music or the worst thing since the Holocaust. At the end of the day, I still dance to their songs if they come up at a club.

What sets GaGa apart from them, I think, is how connected she seems to be with her act, and the way she integrates different elements like fashion, theatrics and the music into a full package. I like artists who are more than a simple catchy hook put together by a group of producers, and GaGa is one of those. Maybe this makes me a music snob to a certain degree, but I'm not one to piss on someone else's music taste. One of my best friends is a die-hard fan of Britney and I don't give him poo poo for it.

I feel this post has been a ramble, so I'll just say that Teeth is a great album closer :)

Prince of Tennis
Aug 31, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Programmable Soda posted:

Okay, thanks for explaining your point. Now I see that I came off as some kind of music snob, but I gotta tell you, I'm not.

I do listen to pop music, including La Roux, Yelle, Ladyhawke, Madonna, and Heloise & The Savoir Faire, but I don't like people like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Pink or Beyoncé. I don't mind their stuff, even though it's not my cup of tea; I wouldn't choose to listen to them while driving or anything, but I don't consider them a disgrace to music or the worst thing since the Holocaust. At the end of the day, I still dance to their songs if they come up at a club.

What sets GaGa apart from them, I think, is how connected she seems to be with her act, and the way she integrates different elements like fashion, theatrics and the music into a full package. I like artists who are more than a simple catchy hook put together by a group of producers, and GaGa is one of those. Maybe this makes me a music snob to a certain degree, but I'm not one to piss on someone else's music taste. One of my best friends is a die-hard fan of Britney and I don't give him poo poo for it.

I feel this post has been a ramble, so I'll just say that Teeth is a great album closer :)

That's ok you seem reasonable :) I was more lashing out at the general trend among music "snobs", especially on this forum, who look down on pop music or music for women. Lady Gaga has become trendy to like, but most people don't understand what makes her good or why critics like her.

You're right about Gaga as a whole package, but if you actually like the music itself you should think about what separates her songs from stuff you dislike, especially when she regularly says she wrote her song in 5 minutes while hungover.

Also Kanye gets a crazy amount of hate here (and everywhere), even though he is basically doing the same thing except with more musical innovation and less fashion innovation.

Prince of Tennis fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 5, 2010

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Prince of Tennis posted:

music for women.

oh no you didn't

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

the first page of this thread posted:

With Lady Gaga, it's not just a matter of aurally-attractive pop'n'lock back-broken beats, or lissome-kissed labial lyrics; no, as an artist who embraces the idea of the "Total Package Persona" I find it very disturbing that a more concrete mention of her radical (one might say, après-fashion) embrasure of style was left aside.

quoting for context, it's not like this discussion is covering any new ground

sure, she wrote the song in 5 minutes, but there's a marked difference between listening to 'Just Dance' and watching her perform it.

Prince of Tennis posted:

music for women

oh, ok

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
I have no idea what Lady Gaga actually looks like she changes appearance so much.

Programmable Soda
Aug 8, 2008

Prince of Tennis posted:

Also Kanye gets a crazy amount of hate here (and everywhere), even though he is basically doing the same thing except with more musical innovation and less fashion innovation.

Part of that might be because he's such a loving douche. For most people it's kind of hard to separate the performer from the person.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

Rugikiki posted:

Just bought tickets for next Wednesday in Detroit, taking my dad for his 50th birthday. Gonna be a long week...

Your dad loving rules; if I bought my dad tickets to a Lady GaGa concert he would probably call me a human being, start laughing, and then tell me all about the gold standard.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
She was on that MTV Boiling Points show a while ago apparently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri-KO34tpMU

"Who puts that in their mouth, would you put that in your mouth? It has poo poo all over it! Clearly you would because you're just like hosed up"

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

legsarerequired posted:

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0i4GunURRY
- A viola/violin/weird string thing?? arrangement of Pokerface.

Apologies for the late-ish reply, but this is a violin, upright bass, and hammer dulcimer arrangement. I loving loved it.

Prince of Tennis
Aug 31, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Illandir posted:

quoting for context, it's not like this discussion is covering any new ground

sure, she wrote the song in 5 minutes, but there's a marked difference between listening to 'Just Dance' and watching her perform it.

oh, ok

Sorry I meant that as something people would accuse Britney or Beyonce of being. I don't actually believe in such a thing.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Porcupine Hunted posted:

May we hear some of the other music you people are responsible for while we wait? (Youtube accounts, pretty please)
Hubby is not on youtube, but this is him playing and singing over this trailer. (It's a really cool movie too.)

His "Bad Romance" is most definitely going on youtube. He's working it out on an antique resonator guitar. It's going to loving rule.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
I know it's not 100% Gaga, but here's a pretty cool mash-up made of the top 25 songs of the year featuring her pretty heavily.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-top-25-pop-hits-of-2009-all-in-one-terrific-ma,36650/

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmv6Z3YvJtU

This is pretty good.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

too much loving noise coming out at once

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
...and the Westboro Baptist Church protest of Gaga's St. Louis show has been thwarted by the snow. Praise the Lord.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Looks like God didn't want them to protest. :smug:

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
What are they worried about snow for, if God is on their side to the degree that no one outside their church goes to heaven?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/06/news/companies/lady_gaga_polaroid/

So... Lady Gaga is now the creative director for a new line of Polaroid products launching later this year. What the gently caress.

I will totally buy a gold sequined Gaga limited edition polaroid.

Porcupine Hunted
Sep 7, 2008

ShutteredIn posted:

http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/06/news/companies/lady_gaga_polaroid/

So... Lady Gaga is now the creative director for a new line of Polaroid products launching later this year. What the gently caress.

I will totally buy a gold sequined Gaga limited edition polaroid.

drat, I've become a victim of commercial marketing.
Check out this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBLCgCOuc1A

Gaga gets introduced around the 15 minute mark.

e: Scratch that, she doesn't show up - they just talk about her.
e2: Here she is - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/34753105#34753105

Porcupine Hunted fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 8, 2010

Calantus
Sep 26, 2006

I liked Lady Gaga from the moment I first heard Just Dance because I'm a huge whore for pop music. :smug:

But I also thought she just made a couple really nice pop songs, which I bought individually. Now after reading the thread I shelled out for the albums and I'm impressed that she actually made more than 2-3 good songs per. And almost every one has a chorus that is loving perfect. It's amazing.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Hairhat !!

:neckbeard:

Sigvard
Mar 12, 2005

Protect Ya Neck, Kid
(from crowbars)

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

I know it's not 100% Gaga, but here's a pretty cool mash-up made of the top 25 songs of the year featuring her pretty heavily.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-top-25-pop-hits-of-2009-all-in-one-terrific-ma,36650/

I bugged out when I first heard this on the radio. So good.

Then I read the comments on the A.V. Club post, I mean, I love that site but their community just rages on about pop music.

They just don't know how to have fun.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
A big part of AV Club's userbase is as super nerdy as the people that comment on Digg. It's bad.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I've been wearing out my copy of The Fame and The Fame Monster, is there any other material out there?

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

There's Disco Heaven which is a collection of B-sides, iirc, but it's not an official release

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

HVD posted:

I've been wearing out my copy of The Fame and The Fame Monster, is there any other material out there?

Stefani - Red and Blue EP

It's her before she got big

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Your Proud Pal posted:

There's Disco Heaven which is a collection of B-sides, iirc, but it's not an official release

While it's not official Vanity is a great song even though it's basically Tainted Love

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I posted an excerpt from this earlier, but if you ever wanted to read seven thousand words on Lady Gaga:

http://www.thehousenextdooronline.com/2009/12/pop-ate-my-heart-lady-gaga-her-videos.html

There you go.

quote:

...death imagery is a powerful motif in much of Gaga’s work, and it is on full display in “The Fame: Part One.” Gaga hangs one of her dancers with a length of rope, an image that is revisited in the video for “Paparazzi.” That same dancer suffers a symbolic death when Gaga discovers that she is a traitor—the enemies of Lady Gaga are “bigots,” as that is one of the epithets she hurls when visiting her punishment upon the dancer. The nature of this punishment is to strip her naked; Gaga yells, “Get the shoes, the jacket… Get everything!” To be stripped of one’s clothing and costume is to be denied an identity. Gaga eventually reunites with the woman, but on strange terms. In the ending to the film, Gaga’s dancers are reduced to the status of props; Gaga uses one as the stand for her keyboard, and while she embraces the other and lights her cigarette, the dancer is frozen in place like a mannequin. This hints at one of the potentially more alienating themes embedded in Gaga’s work: pop culture is a monstrous assimilating force, and for people to have any permanence in the face of it, they must become empty vehicles for its transmission. Lady Gaga may be sacrificing her identity on her own terms; but like every other pop star, she is still sacrificing her identity...

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I like the articles that tell me how she's an Illuminati puppet.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Furthering the gay Mexican agenda.

Look Under The Rock posted:

I like the articles that tell me how she's an Illuminati puppet.

Half the reason I'm excited for Telephone and Alejandro to be singles is to read the inevitable Illuminati articles about the videos.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Bought a Lady Gaga shirt. Gonna wear the poo poo out of it.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

weekly font posted:

Bought a Lady Gaga shirt. Gonna wear the poo poo out of it.

I want to do the same thing, in fact I want to buy this shirt:

http://ladygaga.shop.bravadousa.com/Product.aspx?cp=14781_15002&pc=BGCTLG13

I would wear the ever living gently caress out of it; while giving zero fucks all the live long day.

Stage Beans
May 16, 2007

Porkchop Express posted:

I would wear the ever living gently caress out of it; while giving zero fucks all the live long day.

My sister got me this for Christmas. It's very nice.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Stage Beans posted:

My sister got me this for Christmas. It's very nice.

Hell yes! I think when I get paid next week I may have to order this~

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I don't know if the difference in range of sizes would be there, but if you want that shirt sooner and not have to worry about shipping, I saw it last night in Hot Topic when my friend dragged me in there. They've also got a few more if you're looking for a variety of shirts to show off how big of an unapologetic fan you are. I almost considered buying it myself when I saw it. :ohdear:

EDIT: I can't believe I didn't notice this earlier, but because of the way my music library is set up on Winamp, the end of The Fame Monster goes straight into my Led Zeppelin music, which starts with Hey Hey What Can I Do. Oddly appropriate considering the lyrics of the Zep song and Gaga's music overall.

EDIT2: Studying chemistry to Gaga is pretty awesome. :3:

RedneckwithGuns fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 10, 2010

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I posted an excerpt from this earlier, but if you ever wanted to read seven thousand words on Lady Gaga:

http://www.thehousenextdooronline.com/2009/12/pop-ate-my-heart-lady-gaga-her-videos.html

There you go.

I am loving that so far. It introduced me to "Who Shot Candy Warhol?" and now I know what Monster is about.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I don't know if the difference in range of sizes would be there, but if you want that shirt sooner and not have to worry about shipping, I saw it last night in Hot Topic when my friend dragged me in there.

:raise:

A Lady GaGa shirt....in Hot Topic? Well that is two things I would have never thought would go together!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Porkchop Express posted:

This is the one I bought. It's awesome.

EDIT: And I found it in Hot Topic too. MY GIRLFRIEND and I randomly went in there to lol about high schoolers and poo poo but then I bought something. Reversal of fortune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Hey thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEpj9w1yz64&feature=player_embedded

Sup.

• Locked thread