Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gnomad posted:

While we are discussing the guys who work at dealerships and selling bikes to those who might not be ready for that level of bike, I will explain this photo.

Claire is the lady standing by the bike, a bike she had just purchased after spending a season or 2 on a Kawi EX500. That bike killed her a week later on a ride to Seward when she went into a corner way too fast and ran into a guardrail.

In the end, the rider responsible for his or her actions, but I have to wonder if the salesman ever regrets making that particular sale.

Sounds like it was her, the rider with two years of experience on a sport bike who didn't realize the limitations of her new cruiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'm guessing an ex500 is a bit more light and agile, maybe she was capable of taking a turn that fast on the ninja but for a heavier cruiser it may have been a bit much. I have yet to really ride a cruiser on the street so that is only my assumption.

I'm personally really tempted to get a 600CC sportbike, I guess that is just my irrational love for motorcycles that has developed over the short period of time that i've been riding, I know i'm probably not ready for one yet. Hell I went to a Suzuki/Honda dealer and sat on a few and really liked the GSXr I was tempted by the 8000$ year end price but then I thought oh god I don't want to go into debt with a motorcycle.

I'll just wait another year or so, my insurance will like that more, I just can't help looking at craigslist everyday though. I'm happy with my GS500 though, I can out accelerate most cars without popping a wheelie and landing on the back of my head, is a lot of fun, and 55 average MPG is nice.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnomad posted:

While we are discussing the guys who work at dealerships and selling bikes to those who might not be ready for that level of bike, I will explain this photo.

Claire is the lady standing by the bike, a bike she had just purchased after spending a season or 2 on a Kawi EX500. That bike killed her a week later on a ride to Seward when she went into a corner way too fast and ran into a guardrail.

In the end, the rider responsible for his or her actions, but I have to wonder if the salesman ever regrets making that particular sale.

You can't protect people from themselves, regardless of who you are, what you know, buy, or sell. It's very sad that she died, but sometimes people make mistakes. Sometimes you do everything right and someone else makes a mistake that gets you killed...and sometimes there's just things you can't control.

I had a friend who was in his mid 40s...he was a track instructor for one of the big trackday providers in CA. Very experienced rider, raced with the AFM, at my first weekend at Infineon he was rear ended on the starting grid on a jumped start, hit by another rider, and paralyzed from the waist down.

One of the front runners in 650 twins had his engine blow coming into the carousel. Thankfully, his belly pan caught the oil, otherwise he would have greased the track and probably taken out 20+ riders. Someone could have easily died or gotten seriously injured.

In the end, what we do is dangerous. I don't think anyone comes into it thinking that riding is anything but a blood sport, and they should understand that the consequences of our actions are ours and ours alone. I fully understand the risks of street riding, every wheelie, every stoppie, every race and trackday I attend. If I died, the last thing I'd want was my friends or the people I'd bought bikes from feeling responsible for my actions after the fact. If it wasn't that salesperson it would have been another one. If it wasn't that corner it could have been another one. I have put myself in danger's way for the sake of the sport and passion. I understand and accept responsibility for that.

We play a dangerous game, we do our best to play it as safely as possible, and that's all that anyone can ever do.

My paralyzed buddy committed suicide 6 months after his accident.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Her old bike probably leaned over a lot quicker too.

The salesman is guilt-free on this one. The Dyna is a pretty typical second bike.

e: did not realize there was a new page.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Recently found a 1988 Honda Hurricane 600

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/mcy/1507848953.html

I emailed the guy and he said that it's been having a hard time starting in the cold.

Think it would be worth $900 if I showed up with cash?

The only problem is getting it home, a 5 hour drive in snow doesn't seem fun.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MrZig posted:

Recently found a 1988 Honda Hurricane 600

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/mcy/1507848953.html

I emailed the guy and he said that it's been having a hard time starting in the cold.

Think it would be worth $900 if I showed up with cash?

The only problem is getting it home, a 5 hour drive in snow doesn't seem fun.

No. If you want an old Honda 600, wait until I pick up my friend's F2, and buy that for 900$.

The drive may be a little longer, though. :xd:

I'd do it for 500, but I doubt he'd take that. It's definitely been crashed, and led a pretty rough life. It looks like it's got 2 different rim colors, that's a big red flag in my book, if you're replacing rims it was crashed into something at a decent clip. Same the complete lack of fairings...if it's a 5 hour drive home, I'd definitely pass.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Z3n posted:

No. If you want an old Honda 600, wait until I pick up my friend's F2, and buy that for 900$.

The drive may be a little longer, though. :xd:

I'd do it for 500, but I doubt he'd take that. It's definitely been crashed, and led a pretty rough life. It looks like it's got 2 different rim colors, that's a big red flag in my book, if you're replacing rims it was crashed into something at a decent clip. Same the complete lack of fairings...if it's a 5 hour drive home, I'd definitely pass.

He says he has the complete fairings, just that he took them off. I think I agree with you though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrZig posted:

He says he has the complete fairings, just that he took them off. I think I agree with you though.

Yeah I saw that, but no one takes off the rear fairings unless they're mangled. And if they're not mangled, they're an idiot because it's gonna be horrible for all of the electronics to be exposed like that. There are plenty of better bikes out there, pass on this one, especially for that much money for a 22 year old bike.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goddamnit, when is this guy going to call/email back?! Supposed to go pick up the DRZ today but the guy is lagging. :f5:

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Sounds like 75% of my experiences on craigslist. Good luck dude.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1546321271.html

Would I be stupid to buy this? I just like the way these 80s nighthawks look especially these 700S models, seems like a good price for a running bike, and it's pretty close to me.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, flaked as far as I can tell. Who knows, maybe next weekend? month? :confused:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

soy posted:

Yeah, flaked as far as I can tell. Who knows, maybe next weekend? month? :confused:

Some people put the ad up but don't really want to sell. Missed a great deal on a KLR650 with luggage in December, same thing.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

infraboy posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1546321271.html

Would I be stupid to buy this? I just like the way these 80s nighthawks look especially these 700S models, seems like a good price for a running bike, and it's pretty close to me.

I'd give it a very careful check over, look for unusual wear patterns on the tires or cracks in welds that might indicate a tweaked frame or other major crash damage. If all that looks okay, $600 for something that starts, runs, drives and is street legal with a title and all is pretty sweet. The CL pics are tiny, but the bike doesn't look to be in that bad of shape.

If I was going to get a cheapass bike, I'd rather something that's been ridden a lot, rather then something that sat in someone's garage for 10 years.

(If you do get that Nighthawk, for god's sake get rid of that fugly headlight box)

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I like the headlight :( Hmm I have tommorow off maybe i'll take a peek at it, it'd be a 2nd bike anyways.

Anything in particular to look out for in these 80s nighthawks?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've always liked to looks of those Nighthawks though I am a huge fan of 80's angular things.
Nothing other than the obvious to look for on those bikes. Crash damage, leaks, bodged together parts.
Bounce the suspension though I'm going to venture a guess and say it's original and probably worn. Front is easy as refreshing the fork oil, rear you may be able to replace the shocker with one from a newer bike though I'm not sure.

The 700S has hydraulic valves so you never need to worry about adjustments and they are shaft driven so you don't have to worry about chains. Super solid bikes.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
First bike, 97 Honda Shadow 600 VLX, 5800 miles, runs great.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Zeris posted:

First bike, 97 Honda Shadow 600 VLX, 5800 miles, runs great.

That yours, or one you're thinking of buying?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Tsaven Nava posted:

That yours, or one you're thinking of buying?

I bought it yesterday. I posted earlier about considering a 2002 Buell Blast which turned about to be a pile of garbage due to lack of care and mods. Very happy with the shadow so far.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Inquired about this... http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/1546035962.html

He replied with some pretty good information:

quote:

Thanks for the interest in the MZ. It's a nice bike to ride, and I find it "interesting" to own.

The good part is the the Yamaha engine and transmission that MZ used in the Baghira. The engine has a reputation for reliability and very long life. It's easy to change the oil using a Yamaha filter, and any engine parts needed can be sourced from a Yamaha dealer. I do most of the maintenance work myself (and I'm no mechanic), but I take it to the local Yamaha shop for valve and carb adjustments every 3,000 miles. Other owners say the valves and carbs are easy to do, but I just never got around to diving in.

The bad part is that there are no longer many shops that stock MZ spare parts. MZ withdrew from the US market a few years back, and the factory in Germany closed more recently. I've been able to get cables and levers easily from SF Moto in San Francisco, brake pads from any number of US sources and other parts from dealers in England (grahamsmotorcycles.com). Shipping from England is usually about a week. You'll have a similar wait in many cases with a lot of more common brands of bikes.

There's still an enthusiastic and knowledgeable owner base in the US. You can tap in at mzriders.com. They know how to find stuff and what to do with it.

If you're new to bikes, owning an exotic may be frustrating for you. It can be kind of hard sometimes to tell the difference between problems you're having because it's an out-of-production MZ and challenges you're going to get with any brand and dealer.

Seriously considering it...

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Zeris posted:

I bought it yesterday. I posted earlier about considering a 2002 Buell Blast which turned about to be a pile of garbage due to lack of care and mods. Very happy with the shadow so far.

You will continue to be. A friend learned on one almost exactly like that and offered to sell it to me. I am still kicking myself to this day that I didn't buy it.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
I can't really see the point of going through the hassle of owning an exotic, especially an out of production one, unless you're really in love with that particular bike.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Zeris posted:

Sweet! Congrats on the purchase, those are great bikes and will serve you for years. Now hurry up and put some actual miles on it already :) (5800 miles for a bike that's 13 years old?)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

quote:

It can be kind of hard sometimes to tell the difference between problems you're having because it's an out-of-production MZ and challenges you're going to get with any brand and dealer.

That's a load of poo poo. US law states that any company selling domestically must carry parts for the vehicle for a certain period of time, and you will be able to find sources and spares for any bike from any major maker on ebay. You'll know you're facing issues with an out of brand exotic when you can't find a shop manual in any language you understand, and parts are horded by owners who protect them with fire and explosives. No one ever protected a KTM supermoto swingarm with tripwires and hand grenades.

The upside is that it's got a yamaha engine, the downside is that you're running the gamble of any part that you could need being never made again...you can patch it together with ingenuity, up to a point, but if you ever need cases, if the transmission starts to go, if you have issues with just about anything, there is a chance that you won't be able to find replacement parts, and that possibility just goes up every year you keep the bike. Eventually you're going to have a motorcycle that you can't fix and will be difficult at best to sell.

I looked into buying an MZ a little while back and all of the above plus the fact that it's heavy (400 pounds wet) and underpowered (42hp, crank, factory) killed it for me. It's one of those bikes where if you don't know that's exactly what you want, it's probably not worth buying.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 12, 2010

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
400 pounds? gently caress it, never mind.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

soy posted:

400 pounds? gently caress it, never mind.

Yeah a 400 pound supermoto's just sort of missing the point.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I might as well just get a KLR at that point. (don't want a KLR)

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

soy posted:

Yeah, I might as well just get a KLR at that point. (don't want a KLR)

What's wrong with a KLR :mad:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

redscare posted:

What's wrong with a KLR :mad:

The same thing that's wrong that the baghira plus it's ugly!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

The same thing that's wrong that the baghira plus it's ugly!

The ugly gives it character :colbert:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

redscare posted:

The ugly gives it character :colbert:

What a mom thing to say.

400+ pounds means it's not a supermoto, it's a supermoto-like vehicle.

Like the Hypermotard. If you like how you sit on a supermoto, but don't really like wheelies or stoppies or jumps or sliding around or any of the cool stuff, it's the bike for you.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Im looking at a 2005 zzr 1200 for 4500 firm from a private seller. Has some scrapes along the right fairing, 5k miles. The guy doesnt ride it, has been collecting dust for past year. Only thing he has done is lube the chain. Good deal or no? My previous bikes are sv650 and fz1. I am 6'5 280lbs and havent had a chance to sit on it yet.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Im looking at a 2005 zzr 1200 for 4500 firm from a private seller. Has some scrapes along the right fairing, 5k miles. The guy doesnt ride it, has been collecting dust for past year. Only thing he has done is lube the chain. Good deal or no? My previous bikes are sv650 and fz1. I am 6'5 280lbs and havent had a chance to sit on it yet.

I paid 4500$ for a 2003 with 21k on it, never been down, with hard bags and risers. I saw an 05, salvage title, for 2100$ (!) with a bunch of upgrades and 50k.

I'm only 5'11, but I fit fine on mine. I'd go and sit on it, and then try and talk him down a bit, closer to 4000$. Mainly because of the crash damage.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are some newbie friendly dual sports I should consider?

I don't think I'm going to find a particularly good deal on any supermotos, and if I don't buy something soon I know my wife will take my money and spend it on furniture or plants or some bullshit.

Actually considering just going and buying a <2000 ninja 250, at this point I'd pretty much buy anything that was well maintained and not some terrible obnoxious paint scheme.

Also let me know if you see any good deals in LA area, I have been poopsocking craigslist but nothing really sticks out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hughmoris posted:

Offer this guy $4,500, or $5,000

http://motownmuscle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110409&highlight=stickers

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

soy posted:

I don't think I'm going to find a particularly good deal on any supermotos, and if I don't buy something soon I know my wife will take my money and spend it on furniture or plants or some bullshit.

Actually considering just going and buying a <2000 ninja 250, at this point I'd pretty much buy anything that was well maintained and not some terrible obnoxious paint scheme.

Also let me know if you see any good deals in LA area, I have been poopsocking craigslist but nothing really sticks out.

What sort of bike are you looking for?

Edit: Looked through your posts, I'll have a honda F2 600 for sale soon, but I think that may be a little bigger/heavier than you're looking for.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 13, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

soy posted:

I don't think any of the dual sports (aside from big, expensive beasts like the KTM 990 and BMW GS 1200) are really too much for a newbie to handle, they have more grunt on the low end but aren't as crazy as a sportbike of equivalent displacement. Different bikes have different trade-offs, the KLR650 is a bit more highway oriented while the DR650 edges more towards the dirt, and I think the Honda XR600/650 is even more dirt-oriented (could be mistaken though).

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z3n posted:

What sort of bike are you looking for?

Edit: Looked through your posts, I'll have a honda F2 600 for sale soon, but I think that may be a little bigger/heavier than you're looking for.

I'm pretty flexible, I just want a good bike for a good deal.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Howabout a 1989 Suzuki GSXR 750?

http://classifieds.castanet.net/showproduct.php/product/613918/cat/152

I've always had a thing for old GSXR's with the dual headlights. I phoned the guy and here's what he says:

He's had it for 2? 3? years (heavy accent) and every year he's taken it to the Suzuki dealership to get serviced.

It leaks no oil, the engine is really strong and runs great.

He bought new tires when he got it and they have low wear.

Chain/sprockets are brand new.

The reason the windshield and headlight are damaged is, in his account, he slammed the front brake on when a truck stopped infront of him and it flipped over. A few scratches on the paint as well.

Here's the deal, he's moving the day after tomorrow and kept saying "I'll give you a good deal on it". It's already listed at $1200, but I bet I can get it for 700 or something.

What do you all think?

MrZig fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 13, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

soy posted:

I'm pretty flexible, I just want a good bike for a good deal.

I think he means how do you want to ride it, and where? Dirt trails? Dirt roads? etc.