Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Moxi gets guide data from Tribune just like Tivo. It is exactly the same. I'm not sure where Windows gets its data.

I wasn't seeing names of actors in the guide data, the descriptions were a sentence long at the very most, and it never told me if it was a repeat or a first run. If it's the same data, they're definitely parsing it differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Philthy posted:

I wasn't seeing names of actors in the guide data, the descriptions were a sentence long at the very most, and it never told me if it was a repeat or a first run. If it's the same data, they're definitely parsing it differently.

Maybe it's been updated since you had it, but these screenshots look just fine for guide data for me. I see repeat flags in there and some of the descriptions are quote verbose. They didn't have any screen shots for movie listings so I couldn't tell about the actors thing.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadgethd.com/media/2009/06/moxiui06lg.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadgethd.com/media/2009/06/moxiui07lg.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadgethd.com/media/2009/06/moxiui15lg.jpg

If you go to about 6:22 in this video, he schedules a recording and you can see the info pane has things like "Cast:" and whatnot.

http://hd.engadget.com/2009/01/11/video-digeo-moxi-dvr-user-interface-tour/

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 8, 2010

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Im having an issue with my Tivo and I was hoping someone could help me out. Its a Tivo HD and I am running Pytivo on my laptop. last night I was transferring shows from my pc to my tivo and my computer crashed. Ever sense then the blue light has not turned off on my Tivo and I cant transfer any more shows because it is stuck thinking that there is something being transferred.

I've unplugged the power to the Tivo probably close to 10 times now and tried starting it up with no network connection and various other fixes and nothing works. I have no clue whats going on but I cant transfer anything to my tivo and its making me mad.

EDIT: Just cleared all the scheduled recordings off of my to do list and still nothing

EDIT 2: Did another reset after clearing everything off my to do list and that fixed the problem. What a pain in the rear end.

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 13, 2010

deadhoarse
Oct 18, 2004
So there's no news about a new Tivo on the horizon except for those leaked pictures which show a Tivo "Premier"? I'm fed up with the Comcast DVR and want to finally go back to using a Tivo.

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!
By the time the TiVo Series 4 comes out, it may be irrelevant, with ceton quad-tuner cablecard tuners and 3-tuner Moxis with Moxi extenders and media center extenders and such. If TiVo wants to stay in the game, they'll have to come up with not only a TiVo Series 4 (with a 3+ tuner model available as well), but TiVo extenders too.

Dr. Gaius Baltar fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 13, 2010

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm pretty sure at this point that the only game Tivo wants to stay in is the licensing game.

Realistically, they've sold fewer than 400,000 TivoHD/Series 3 units (possibly as few as half that.) This is compared to the millions of Series 2 units they've sold.

With their complaints to the FCC about cablecard and the FCC's admission that it's been an abject failure, I don't think they view the hardware business as viable anymore. Even cablecard + Truway seems to be a complete non-starter.

At the very least, I see them closing up retail operations. This is likely why Best Buy has been tapped. I wouldn't be surprised if you can't buy a Tivo off of Tivo's site by the end of 2010 and the only way to get one is through resellers.

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!
Yeah, if they're able to successfully license their software. We were supposed to be able to get Comcast DVRs with TiVo software years ago. Comcast seems to be perfectly happy to continue renting plain old DVRs with terrible software that everybody hates.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

Yeah, if they're able to successfully license their software. We were supposed to be able to get Comcast DVRs with TiVo software years ago. Comcast seems to be perfectly happy to continue renting plain old DVRs with terrible software that everybody hates.

Just because something doesn't have Tivo software it doesn't mean they aren't paying Tivo money.

Tivo may simply fade away into a DVR patent holding company.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It is remarkable how terrible the Comcast DVRs are. Is this because of patents? Because the features that are missing just seem so simple to implement. (Besides the whole SD interface on a HD box crap.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

smackfu posted:

It is remarkable how terrible the Comcast DVRs are. Is this because of patents? Because the features that are missing just seem so simple to implement. (Besides the whole SD interface on a HD box crap.)

Because there's no demand for such features?

When I had a Comcast DVR, I told it what I wanted to watch and it recorded it and it did that pretty much without a hitch. Sure the interface is crap (Tivo does also suffer from the whole SD interface on HD screen thing though) and it doesn't have a ton of wiz bang features, but tell it to Record Chuck on Tuesdays, Supernatural and Fringe on Thursdays and BSG on Fridays and it completed that task perfectly. It also did it all without a big upfront cost and install/service headaches.

Most people don't want more than a glorified VCR for their DVR. Now, I find myself wanting a bit more content management, but realize with a 160gb hard drive I can't possibly record enough HD content to make management a headache. Since I think the things are overpriced already, I'm not exactly keen on spending more money to upgrade the storage via external drive or voiding the warranty by installing my own internal drive, so Tivo hasn't been able to capture my business yet.

It's simple for me. Release a 640gb product with a true HD guide and affordable multiroom viewing for under $300 for the base unit and they'll have my business. The longer they wait, I'm just getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on a hub/spoke setup using a server with a cablecard tuner and nettops to deliver the content to where I want it.

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!

bull3964 posted:

It's simple for me. Release a 640gb product with a true HD guide and affordable multiroom viewing for under $300 for the base unit and they'll have my business. The longer they wait, I'm just getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on a hub/spoke setup using a server with a cablecard tuner and nettops to deliver the content to where I want it.

Right now, I pay $507.60 a year just in equipment rental fees. That covers TiVo service for a TiVo HD, a Comcast DVR rental, and a Comcast HD STB rental, plus Comcast's digital additional outlet fees. I've been considering getting a Ceton quad cablecard tuner when they come out, to install in my HTPC and use with Media Center 7, plus 2 media center extenders (assuming they will stream all my channels, including premiums, plus recorded shows), and MoCa adapters if the 802.11n wireless isn't fast enough to stream HD to 2 extenders simultaneously.

I look forward to the day when you can just walk into any Best Buy and buy a DVR for $200-$300 with no monthly fees that can be used with any cable or satellite service, or an extender for that DVR with MoCa for $100, or an HD STB for $100.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
After 3 weeks of uptime, the TiVo's gotten temperamental again, crashing 3 times in the last 24 hours. I am so tired of this. :( I'd buy a new one if I could, but I cannot. Also, I'd prefer to wait for Premiere or whatever that will be.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

Right now, I pay $507.60 a year just in equipment rental fees. That covers TiVo service for a TiVo HD, a Comcast DVR rental, and a Comcast HD STB rental, plus Comcast's digital additional outlet fees. I've been considering getting a Ceton quad cablecard tuner when they come out, to install in my HTPC and use with Media Center 7, plus 2 media center extenders (assuming they will stream all my channels, including premiums, plus recorded shows), and MoCa adapters if the 802.11n wireless isn't fast enough to stream HD to 2 extenders simultaneously.

I look forward to the day when you can just walk into any Best Buy and buy a DVR for $200-$300 with no monthly fees that can be used with any cable or satellite service, or an extender for that DVR with MoCa for $100, or an HD STB for $100.

That's the reason why I got a lifetime subscription with my last one. I took a look at how much I'd be spending a year on my first one and thought it would be stupid to not get it. Then I had it transferred over to my HD.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
The TiVo, again after being fine for weeks, started crashing every 30 minutes. I left it unplugged all night, popped it back on, same problem, even down to 10 minutes. Then it got stuck rebooting, so I guess it's down to zero minutes.

Took out the CableCard. TiVo comes up fine. Working fine, sans HD of course, but still. Hopeing that's the problem. Just a note for folks to check their CableCard if their TiVo seems to be going on the fritz. :)

Edit: I put the CableCard back in and it was running fine for 45 minutes until I had the audacity to hit the Tivo button. :(

Golbez fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 20, 2010

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
drat man, I think it'd probably be a good time to just bite the bullet and buy a new in box TivoHD at this point or send it in to be totally fixed up. They're $249 from Best Buy now. Your experience should be pretty much flawless. Not riddled with random reboots, lock ups, and whatever else. I think you got a lemon refurb and it sucks.

If you can stand to wait for the next gen, more power to you, but I would have smashed mine with a hammer by now.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 20, 2010

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Philthy posted:

drat man, I think it'd probably be a good time to just bite the bullet and buy a new in box TivoHD at this point or send it in to be totally fixed up. They're $249 from Best Buy now. Your experience should be pretty much flawless. Not riddled with random reboots, lock ups, and whatever else. I think you got a lemon refurb and it sucks.

If you can stand to wait for the next gen, more power to you, but I would have smashed mine with a hammer by now.

Yeah. I pulled out the cable card and it was working fine, went to DVR Diagnostics to see if it showed uptime... and crash.

I was really hoping to be able to hold out until a Series 4/Premiere came out. :( as for a 'lemon refurb', maybe, but consider that it has worked pretty well for two years. I know that's a lovely uptime for any consumer electronics, but considering it was a cheap refurb I probably haven't done *too* horrible. (I'm not counting the crashes caused by the bad addon hard drive, that wasn't the TiVo's fault)

I also have zero funds at the moment. Bleh. If only Tivo would announce a date for the Series 4, then I would be able to make a decision easier.

Edit: Heh, and now it's making noise, either the fan or the HDD.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 20, 2010

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, I hope Tivo knew what they were doing when they sued AT&T. Since their platform is based on Microsoft's Mediaroom, now Tivo has a lawsuit on their hands from Microsoft saying that Tivo has infringed on two of their patents.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/20/microsoft-has-atandts-back-sues-tivo-for-patent-infringement/

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Fired up the TiVo with the case off, and the fan doesn't want to turn. Sometimes it starts when I first fire it up, but it inevitably stalls. When I move it, I can feel it trying to move, it's just not spinning around. So this is a thin ray of hope - maybe I can replace that and things will be okay? :(

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Well, I hope Tivo knew what they were doing when they sued AT&T. Since their platform is based on Microsoft's Mediaroom, now Tivo has a lawsuit on their hands from Microsoft saying that Tivo has infringed on two of their patents.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/20/microsoft-has-atandts-back-sues-tivo-for-patent-infringement/

Saw that earlier. Looking at both the patents seem like they could be easily tossed because of prior art. Standard cable boxes have done both of the things listed in those well before 96. Pay per view always needed to be decoded since the beginning of time. Etc. Satellite always needed decoder cards for paid content since the early 80s. All of them used a display to move up and down a schedule to select content.

It will be curious to see if TiVo moves in on Media Center now. Unless Microsoft is already paying them.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 21, 2010

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Philthy posted:

It will be curious to see if TiVo moves in on Media Center now. Unless Microsoft is already paying them.

I don't think they can as I believe TiVos patents are limited to SoC solutions whereas mediacenter is a full on computer.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

I don't think they can as I believe TiVos patents are limited to SoC solutions whereas mediacenter is a full on computer.

They have a ton of patents, but a lot of them are just various methods which apply to pretty much any platform. The whole time warping one, which is their biggest, covers anything. If Media Center can buffer and let you fast forward and rewind that buffer while something else is recording at the same time, then they're either paying TiVo or soon will be.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Theres an issue going on with my pyTivo where my Tivo wont pick up my computer. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled pytivo but nothing helps. it was working fine and then all of a sudden it wasnt working at all. any one have any idea what could have happened? I havnt made any changes to my system

Running in console mode its not showing that my tivo is requesting data at all. :psyduck:

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 22, 2010

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
I'd want to say you need to check or completely start over with a new config file.
I've had this happen a couple times before and both times it was something with the config file.

Couldn't figure out the issue the first time but the second time I left a blank video share in there and that killed it.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

chemosh6969 posted:

I'd want to say you need to check or completely start over with a new config file.
I've had this happen a couple times before and both times it was something with the config file.

Couldn't figure out the issue the first time but the second time I left a blank video share in there and that killed it.

Wouldnt the config file go bye bye if i completely removed pytivo and restarted from scratch?

Re-uninstalled and made sure it cleared out the config files, re installed and still nothing at all.

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 23, 2010

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
The TiVo has been up more or less steadily since I took the case off. So I'm thinking the fan was the main problem... now just need to scrounge up the money to replace it.

I'll hold out til Series 4 yet!

rocket
Aug 16, 2002

LLLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLADIES!
I am in Canada, so right now I can only use a Series 2 Tivo. The Tivo website doesn't show the different models of the Series 2 Tivos.

Obviously I want the dual tuner model, with 80 hour hard drive. Are there any better deals on Tivos other than Ebay or refurbished from Tivo.com?

I was also looking at this: Humax TiVo Series2 DRT400
http://www.amazon.com/Humax-DRT400-40-Hour-TiVo-Recorder/dp/B0009I2FQA
The specs for it suck, but I was wondering if you could either add it to an already existing Tivo network, and just use it to archive stuff to DVD from another Tivo.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
My TivoHD started showing most channels as a blank screen the other day (local channels seem fine, maybe others?) . A reboot seems to fix it, but it just happens again by the next day (4 days now). All the program information is there, and the guide, but the screen is just blank.

It seems like an issue with the Tivo hardware, but I don't really have any idea what to do about it. A quick search on the Tivo forums didn't turn up much. I see a similar issue people have with missing *analog* channels, but those are not the ones I'm missing.

edit: also, removing and reinserting the cable card fixes it.

Kilson fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 30, 2010

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Kilson posted:

My TivoHD started showing most channels as a blank screen the other day (local channels seem fine, maybe others?) . A reboot seems to fix it, but it just happens again by the next day (4 days now). All the program information is there, and the guide, but the screen is just blank.

It seems like an issue with the Tivo hardware, but I don't really have any idea what to do about it. A quick search on the Tivo forums didn't turn up much. I see a similar issue people have with missing *analog* channels, but those are not the ones I'm missing.

edit: also, removing and reinserting the cable card fixes it.

Yeah, I was about to suggest the cable card; that's usually the problem when some channels stop working but others are fine. Try getting a new one from the cable company. I had a situation where one of my S cards stopped working with HD channels, so programs set to record for those would randomly not record. Took a while to realize it was one, but only one, of the two S cards that was broken.

Also, I had a situation where the 4 highest channels on the dial stopped coming in. Cable guy came in, said we were using some kind of substandard, unshielded cable between the wall and the cable modem; that was causing enough interference in the splitter to screw with those higher channels. Sure enough, he replaced it and it was fine afterwards. So either way, ask your cable company. I don't know of many Tivo-only problems that can cause a partial dropoff of channel availability.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb
How long does it take for a TiVo with a CableCard to get your new channels and stuff like that.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

KaLogain posted:

How long does it take for a TiVo with a CableCard to get your new channels and stuff like that.

It should be immediate. If it isn't, it hasn't been synchronized with the cable company properly.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Be sure to repeat Guided Setup when using a new CableCARD.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2010-02/tivo-schedules-nyc-event-for-march-2nd/

Welp, guess I better get my money + early adopter tax + lifetime transfer fee ready.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Whenever I try to tune into Comedy Central HD on Time Warner in New York (channel 745), the tivo instantly crashes and has to be rebooted. Is this just TWC bungling something spectacularly, or is my device starting to die?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

Whenever I try to tune into Comedy Central HD on Time Warner in New York (channel 745), the tivo instantly crashes and has to be rebooted. Is this just TWC bungling something spectacularly, or is my device starting to die?

Sounds like a bug: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=418924&page=18

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Deathlove posted:

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2010-02/tivo-schedules-nyc-event-for-march-2nd/

Welp, guess I better get my money + early adopter tax + lifetime transfer fee ready.

I'm looking forward to this but I can't help but be a bit pessimistic, I'd bet it'll be cool but it'll have some flaw like a tiny hard drive or sad processor.

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 11, 2010

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Is there any way to tell the Tivo that I hate letterboxed SD? It keeps recording the SD versions of "TiVo Suggestions" programs where I receive the HD channel. I have plenty of disk space (1.5TB swap), record the HD version dammit!

So many interesting programs recorded off of Science Channel, History, etc. that I don't like watching because SD looks like crap on a big LCD. Even worse when it's letterboxed so I lose even more resolution.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

wolrah posted:

Is there any way to tell the Tivo that I hate letterboxed SD? It keeps recording the SD versions of "TiVo Suggestions" programs where I receive the HD channel. I have plenty of disk space (1.5TB swap), record the HD version dammit!

So many interesting programs recorded off of Science Channel, History, etc. that I don't like watching because SD looks like crap on a big LCD. Even worse when it's letterboxed so I lose even more resolution.

Edit the channel list and remove all the SD ones where you have an HD equivalent.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

qirex posted:

I'm looking forward to this but I can't help but be a bit pessimistic, I'd bet it'll be cool but it'll have some flaw like a tiny hard drive or sad processor.

Who knows if it's going to be a box, I bet it's going to be some kind of service thing

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dogen posted:

Who knows if it's going to be a box, I bet it's going to be some kind of service thing

That would be disappointing as all hell.

I want new hardware damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dogen posted:

But what would it run on? The TivoHD has a pretty anemic processor by today's standards and as far as I know their "PC Tivo" kit was a total flop. If they really wanted to get out of the hardware business they could just let all their staff go except for 3 lawyers and make bank off their patent portfolio.

I'm hoping it's something big, there really hasn't been much innovation in this area lately, mostly just hardware catching up with HD video for the last few years.

• Locked thread