Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be looking at starting either a Thief, Temple Knight, or Royal tonight.

ThursdayBySix posted:

I guess it just kind of reminds me of Everquest where they just dump you in at lvl 1 with a sword in your hand and say 'go' then rape you in the rear end mercilessly when you fight your first bug. I'm enjoying the lack of total handholding, but the min-maxer in me is having trouble picking a path and just going. Can't wait to get back from work, though.

This was why I loved Everquest for so long. It wasn't because the game mechanics(save for Bard song-weaving) were any good. It was because there was so much blissful ignorance about everything at first. I remember compiling my little book of maps that I would use to navigate some of the zones. There was a kind of pure, real exploration in that you didn't quite know the boundaries of the zones or the game world. The game got less fun once I figured out more of my way around, but then there was always the new thrill of entering a completely new zone. From what people say about Demon's Souls so far, I should be extremely happy.

There's a lot of annoying poo poo that WoW removed from the MMORPG formula, but I kind of wish they hadn't streamlined it so much. I have the same feelings about Oblivion's fast travel system. I don't really like walking around the game world for hours without doing much of anything, but I think there's a balance that needs to be struck. Fallout 3 did that pretty well, I thought.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Welp, that was fun! Thought that since I'm almost SL60, I should be able to take the False King without any trouble, right?

40,000 lost souls later... :suicide:

When Ostrava mentions that the Demonbrand can kill his father, is that just flavour text? Or is it powerful enough to help with the fight? I was using my trusty Keel Smasher, but it was a wee bit too slow for him. :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hatter106 posted:

Welp, that was fun! Thought that since I'm almost SL60, I should be able to take the False King without any trouble, right?

40,000 lost souls later... :suicide:

When Ostrava mentions that the Demonbrand can kill his father, is that just flavour text? Or is it powerful enough to help with the fight? I was using my trusty Keel Smasher, but it was a wee bit too slow for him. :v:

Demonbrand is quite strong if your character tendency is to its liking.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Apparently being in shrine of storms makes you a BP magnet. I'd never been invaded before going there. In about half an hour I was invaded FIVE TIMES. I died on the first two because I wasn't really used to PvP combat. I got much better after that - it's so satisfying using the thief ring and graverobber's ring in combination to turn the tables on a BP and sneak up on THEM.

Funny, I was in Shrine of Storms too. 4-1. Wasn't there more than 30 seconds when I got invaded, too.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

What level should I be before doing NG+? Also whats the point of no return before you end the game? Can I complete 1-4 or will it end the game?

edit: blueblood is awesome

Optiquest fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 15, 2010

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Legs Benedict posted:

Funny, I was in Shrine of Storms too. 4-1. Wasn't there more than 30 seconds when I got invaded, too.

All five of my invasions have been in 4-1 as well. One guy didn't even have the chance to get to see me though because the big flashy "YOU HAVE BEEN INVADED" caused enough distraction to make me fail at killing red skeleton.

Optiquest posted:

What level should I be before doing NG+? Also whats the point of no return before you end the game? Can I complete 1-4 or will it end the game?

The point of no return is killing the last stage end boss. I believe I went into my NG+ around SL 100.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Goddamnit. Quote is not edit again today.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

I played about 4 hours tonight, and I only lost progress once. Started as a Thief. I picked up a Rapier, opened the first shortcut to get the Cling Ring, and got the raggedy clothes. I wish the game would let you upgrade your character before completing 1-1. It makes exploring 1-1 really annoying to have so many souls floating around with few things to really spend them on. As a Thief, I'm swimming in grasses, and there's only so many arrows I can buy.

Hopefully I can beat 1-1 tomorrow, and then have a little more fun.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Just wait until NG+ where you apparently get to walk around with 300k+ souls and aren't allowed to level until you beat Phalanx again. You also start in body form so you can get invaded by PvP professionals.

I'm making sure I have Banish memorized before I start NG+, which will probably be soon since I'm starting to blow through most of the bosses and I'm only Slvl 70. I've only got 2-3, 1-3, 1-4 and 4-3 left. Looting 5-2 clean was a loving chore, however.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

I completely understand why they made that design decision, though. It's the one thing that really fluctuates the difficulty based on which class you chose. I can't believe I was thinking about choosing a Royal as my first character. I can't even imagine what the game would be like with that low of a soul level at this point in the game.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

ErIog posted:

I can't even imagine what the game would be like with that low of a soul level at this point in the game.

Actually its super super easy. Stab things and if you don't want to get close soul arrow it to death.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

ErIog posted:

I can't even imagine what the game would be like with that low of a soul level at this point in the game.

Royal gives the easiest start in the entire game.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
I'm losing interest in beating Old King Allant this time around. I've popped off Doran in NG+ for the first time, as well as the blue dragon and so on, but I just can't be hosed with Allant. I've got up there 3 times now and he's one shotted me 3 times, once was with a blue phantom helping me. I didn't have anywhere near this much trouble last time around. I took him down on my first try, in fact.

I just quite wanted to start NG++ so that I can grab a couple of things I still haven't got, like the scraping spear to gently caress up invaders (does that improve with colourless souls?) and some other stuff. Oh, and I want the Northern Regalia from old king allant, now I have the rest of the stuff.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Gazmachine posted:

I'm losing interest in beating Old King Allant this time around. I've popped off Doran in NG+ for the first time, as well as the blue dragon and so on, but I just can't be hosed with Allant. I've got up there 3 times now and he's one shotted me 3 times, once was with a blue phantom helping me. I didn't have anywhere near this much trouble last time around. I took him down on my first try, in fact.

I just quite wanted to start NG++ so that I can grab a couple of things I still haven't got, like the scraping spear to gently caress up invaders (does that improve with colourless souls?) and some other stuff. Oh, and I want the Northern Regalia from old king allant, now I have the rest of the stuff.

Use Second Chance or Warding (Total Protection).

Scraping spear is made not found and can therefore can not be upgraded any further, and it's a lovely weapon.

You should already have the items it takes to make Northern Regalia, unless you used his soul for some reason.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Hamburger Test posted:

You should already have the items it takes to make Northern Regalia, unless you used his soul for some reason.

Maybe he forgot to pick up Soulbrand his first time through? :ohdear:

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
can someone tell me the save process in this game? meaning, can you save anywhere at anytime, or do you have to be at a certain place to save? I haven't started playing yet but I wanted to start tonight, however I know someone will come up with something they want me to do with them so I will inclined to do that and will have to put the game down for a few.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
The game autosaves pretty much all the time, but if you want to make absolutely sure hit the game's quit game option before you actually close the game.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

casual poster posted:

can someone tell me the save process in this game? meaning, can you save anywhere at anytime, or do you have to be at a certain place to save? I haven't started playing yet but I wanted to start tonight, however I know someone will come up with something they want me to do with them so I will inclined to do that and will have to put the game down for a few.

It saves constantly all the time if you like it or not. Like every time you do anything.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

When does the game actually save when you die? There's been a couple times I've died got pissy and used the system shut off option then came back and it was like I hadn't died with however many souls I got angry about losing still there. Anyone have this happen?

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

Shumagorath posted:

Just wait until NG+ where you apparently get to walk around with 300k+ souls and aren't allowed to level until you beat Phalanx again. You also start in body form so you can get invaded by PvP professionals.

I'm making sure I have Banish memorized before I start NG+, which will probably be soon since I'm starting to blow through most of the bosses and I'm only Slvl 70. I've only got 2-3, 1-3, 1-4 and 4-3 left. Looting 5-2 clean was a loving chore, however.

Or you could just do what you did through all of NG and suicide in the Nexus.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Len posted:

When does the game actually save when you die? There's been a couple times I've died got pissy and used the system shut off option then came back and it was like I hadn't died with however many souls I got angry about losing still there. Anyone have this happen?
It will start saving at that moment, but it takes a while for it to finish as indicated by the icon in the top right corner. It's generally advised not to try to exploit this as it has been known to corrupt saves.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Thanks for the answer to my stupid question guys!

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Hamburger Test posted:

It will start saving at that moment, but it takes a while for it to finish as indicated by the icon in the top right corner. It's generally advised not to try to exploit this as it has been known to corrupt saves.

This. What does this mean? Couldn't you just leave the game (and not shutting off the system) when you're about to die and save your rear end? How does that corrupt saves if the game's saving at any time anyway?

Also does that mean power going out can easily corrupt a savegame?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Paino posted:

This. What does this mean? Couldn't you just leave the game (and not shutting off the system) when you're about to die and save your rear end? How does that corrupt saves if the game's saving at any time anyway?

because its rewriting your save file, meaning if its halfway done writing over it than the old save will mix with the new save and corrupt it.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Paino posted:

I don't know if leaving the game works, I never tried either method. I don't know what options a developer has to ensure the game finishes important tasks but I could imagine that they would have the chance to try to close down 'nicely', before the OS forced them to close - kind of like you know, Windows?

And potentially, yea power outage could corrupt your save file - but this is common among all games. You know those warnings people keep bitching about? They're there for a reason.

It's also pretty rare to happen I think I have seen less than 5 reports in all the places I've looked and I don't think any of them was from a legitimate power failure, meaning they'd probably switched off the power many times before getting unlucky and being hit with the issue.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 15, 2010

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hamburger Test posted:

Well poo poo good thing I don't intentionally try for it then. But if I wait until I respawn to shut it off I'm going to go through the hell of regaining all my lost souls. It's a vicious cycle that one.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

MonkeyMaker posted:

Or you could just do what you did through all of NG and suicide in the Nexus.
I've already done all the PWWT events in NG except for getting the Smasher, so I was sorta looking forward to not caring about WT in NG+. Then again I hear world 5 gets black phantom giant goblins everywhere, so maybe not.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Okay I am getting rather tired of getting killed in two hits (and being peppered by bolts) when fighting the Tower Knight/1-2 boss. Any tips for that particular fight?

Also, the Red Knight in 1-1 is hilarious as well, what is needed to fight him properly?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Luisfe posted:

Okay I am getting rather tired of getting killed in two hits (and being peppered by bolts) when fighting the Tower Knight/1-2 boss. Any tips for that particular fight?

Also, the Red Knight in 1-1 is hilarious as well, what is needed to fight him properly?

What I do is just run around taking care of the archers first then focus on the tower knight. First play I hit him from above with flame toss NG+ I hit him in the ankles enough to kill him.

Red Knight is killable with Soul Arrow fairly easily.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Luisfe posted:

I took out Tower Knight twice, once as a phantom and the other with a phantom helping me. Both times we had the faster guy run around and draw his attention while the other one poked him in the ankles.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is there a way to cheese the False King to death that doesn't involve poison cloud or trying to shoot him from afar with arrows since I can't seem to connect an arrow to his head

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

Len posted:

Is there a way to cheese the False King to death that doesn't involve poison cloud or trying to shoot him from afar with arrows since I can't seem to connect an arrow to his head

He walks really, really slowly back into his lair if you get out of his aggro radius and he's (relatively) weak to magic weapons. Meat Cleaver + Light Weapon / Sticky White Stuff + backstab

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is it just me or do polearms suck one-handed? The R1 attack with two hands is a nice overhead swing, whereas with one hand it's some strange backhand that's terrible near any solid surface. It also bugs me that the halberd and Mirdan hammer both have nice big points on them yet no jab attack.

I'm thinking of just sticking with the meat cleaver when I need magic damage since the rolling AoE attack works better in tunnels, and if I'm stuck without a shield then I might as well use the best two-hander available.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

primitive posted:

He walks really, really slowly back into his lair if you get out of his aggro radius and he's (relatively) weak to magic weapons. Meat Cleaver + Light Weapon / Sticky White Stuff + backstab
Isn't this Doran, not False King (the 1-4 boss)? Although it sounds like the quoted post might be talking about Doran too...

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

Len posted:

This isn't Modern Warfare man, aim for center mass. There isn't any extra damage on a head shot.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What's the best strategy for becoming the old monk in 3-3? I had to do that level about 4 times, and three of those times my invader dropped out. The one time they stayed I got someone who was super-fast and just rolled circles around me until they could stab me in the back. I came back with my scraping spear and regenerator's ring determined to ruin someone's day, but the next guy dropped out and I poked the CPU monk to death in a couple minutes.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Luisfe posted:

I rocked the Tower Knight on my first try, with my first character - a near-naked barbarian with the biggest axe I could swing. Just clear out the crossbowmen, then wait for the tower knight to use one of his slower, telegraphed attacks. Then get in and hack the hell out of his ankles. He falls down, you maul him. The end.

As for the Red Knight, he's just remarkably tough - you shouldn't even be trying to fight him at your level... that said, Soul Remains make him into an easy mark no matter how weedy you are. Throw one of those, then backstab to your hearts content.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

The point of no return is killing the last stage end boss. I believe I went into my NG+ around SL 100.

I'm not even SL 100 yet and I'm almost on my NG++. I think it depends more on what you've been focusing on. My character is heavy on defense so I'm running around with the brushwood set, a ton of end and vit, and a Norther Regalia for some offensive power (I'm at pure white so it's ridiculously strong). I'm currently about 4 points of end short of being able to equip a tower shield with my current setup without needing to wear the ring that boosts your equip weight. Finally I don't know a single spell or miracle. Well, that's not true. I've been BUYING them, I just don't have the stats to EQUIP them. I've got Banish equipped for miracles and that maxes me out.

But honestly? It hasn't been a problem. I've been blazing through NG+, the only trouble spot was Flamelurker really (Who gave me a problem my first time around too. I'm just really bad at him). I cheesed a few bosses with blue phantoms but they're all ones that I soloed the first time around, so I know I COULD beat them solo if I had to (The only boss I haven't soloed is Flamelurker since I hate him so much). Anyway, long story short, I started as a soldier and basically ran with that the whole way through and I really haven't had much of a problem on my NG+. To be honest, it seems like the game scales based on your Soul Level somewhat, so if you've got good gear you might actually find it easier if you're LOWER level.

Also, I haven't died to a single black phantom invasion since my first two ever. The thing about VIT is it might not help you much on NG+ bosses because they hit so hard, but against phantoms? It's VERY worth it. With my current HP, I'd have to take about 5ish unblocked hits from a Northern Regalia to kill me, and that's without any damage reduction from my armour. I use a shield almost all the time so the odds of someone actually getting that many hits in a row without me getting a chance to heal is pretty slim, so while I HAVE had a few close calls (One guy that seemed to score backstabs from my front like 8 times), overall invasions have been very low stress for me.

That said, I've failed pretty hard every time I try to INVADE someone, so having VIT really only helps a lot if you're in body form.

Luisfe posted:

The Red Knight falls to the same tactics as a blue knight, it's just he's a lot stronger. You actually don't need to worry about that area at all until you get to 1-4, by which point you'll already have taken down a couple of them and one more shouldn't prove a problem (Though he can be fun to take on early just for a challenge).

For Tower Knight, always kill the archers first. Just sprint past TK himself and while you're up there he won't be much of a threat to you with his blue lance bolts. If you're getting peppered by bolts, you're doing the fight in the wrong order.

Once they're down, it really depends on what you've been focusing on. I don't know how to do it as a caster, but I'd assume the strategy is to snipe at his head or chest with spells from the ramparts and dodge the lance blasts. It's a bit trickier as a melee but basically what you want to do is watch for him to do the big move where he slams the shield down on the ground horizontally. The windup for that is HUGE, so it gives you a lot of time to sprint between his legs and once you're behind him you won't get hit by it so long as you back up just a little bit. Once you're back there just slash at his ankles until he falls over (And watch what he's doing - if he starts to wind something up, back off for a second), then stab at his head as much as you can until he gets back up, and repeat.

Alternatively, bring in a blue phantom or two to help. The fight is a joke when you've got two people because one person distracts him while the other person slashes his ankles. *Edit* this is pretty much true for every fight in the game, except maybe dragon god who's basically another version of running across the bridges dodging the red dragon in 1-2.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 16, 2010

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Laughing Man posted:

This isn't Modern Warfare man, aim for center mass. There isn't any extra damage on a head shot.

I can't see center mass from the door though and moving forward brings up his health bar. All I'm able to see is a tiny little bit of his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Shumagorath posted:

Is it just me or do polearms suck one-handed? The R1 attack with two hands is a nice overhead swing, whereas with one hand it's some strange backhand that's terrible near any solid surface. It also bugs me that the halberd and Mirdan hammer both have nice big points on them yet no jab attack.

I'm thinking of just sticking with the meat cleaver when I need magic damage since the rolling AoE attack works better in tunnels, and if I'm stuck without a shield then I might as well use the best two-hander available.

Yes, they're slow and unwieldly in one hand - they're polearms man. They are god drat awesome when two handed - meat cleaver is not objectively the best two hander, some like it - I however have never lost to anyone using it.

• Locked thread