Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

Just read on ONTD (Oh No They Didn't, very popular celebrity gossip blog on LJ) that Gaga is already starting to cast for the video for "Alejandro"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

Just read on ONTD (Oh No They Didn't, very popular celebrity gossip blog on LJ) that Gaga is already starting to cast for the video for "Alejandro"

Much as I love Alejandro, I was hoping she would do a video for Monster after Telephone :smith:

Programmable Soda
Aug 8, 2008

Crowbear posted:

Much as I love Alejandro, I was hoping she would do a video for Monster after Telephone :smith:

Monster is my least favorite song on the record. After Alejandro, I'd like to see either Dance in the Dark, Teeth or Speechless get the full single treatment.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Programmable Soda posted:

Monster is my least favorite song on the record. After Alejandro, I'd like to see either Dance in the Dark, Teeth or Speechless get the full single treatment.

Heathen :argh:

But seriously any song other than So Happy I Could Die (which isn't a bad song, but it's the least, uhh, single-y on the album) would make a great single.

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

More of Lady Gaga being viewed as part of the Illuminati.

http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=2737

Reading this makes me wonder if Gaga really does pull from this type of poo poo, but in a way to basically make people go WTF

edit: Speechless will never have a video I bet it's too different from her other stuff. I figure it will be Telephone, Alejandro, Teeth then by that time her new album will be announced. I say Teeth because if you see her live and see her take photos with fans, she always asks people to "show their teeth" and is a pretty common thing for her lately.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
Holy hell, I think Monster is about date rape.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Lancelot posted:

Do you, or anyone else happen to have this in avatar size?

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

Look Under The Rock posted:

Holy hell, I think Monster is about date rape.
I never would have nothing of that, but now that you mention it it seems to really fit (and it bothers me a bit.) Especially if you consider "he ate my brain" to be a reference to date rape drugs that gently caress with your memory.... hmm....

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

The talk about her being such a visually important artist, along with repeated listening to Speechless, makes me wish more than anything that Gaga would be given the ability to do a rock opera. I can't even begin to imagine what it would look like, I just know it would be the greatest thing, ever.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

I never would have nothing of that, but now that you mention it it seems to really fit (and it bothers me a bit.) Especially if you consider "he ate my brain" to be a reference to date rape drugs that gently caress with your memory.... hmm....

I asked my girlfriend if she'd seen you round before
She mumbled something as we got down on the floor
We might have hosed, not really sure, don't quite recall
All I know is that I've seen him...

"boy get your paws right off of me"

I wanted to just dance but he took me home instead...

I think the fact that it's bothersome is what I love most about it. If it's true, she took something horrible and made this super dancey song, it almost is a statement about how a girl in this situation might be accused of lying about it or "she was dressed like she was asking for it."

Reminds me of this song, a bit, and what Amanda Palmer was trying to say with the music. Gives Gaga a hell of a lot of songwriting cred to pull something like that off. It made me think, at least.

Look Under The Rock fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 17, 2010

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Look Under The Rock posted:

We might have hosed, not really sure, don't quite recall
It's actually "We might have hosed up, baby, sure don't quite recall," but it still fits.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
I really wish she had released one of those videos with the album that a bunch of other artists have done, where they sit down and explain what each song is about/how they wrote them. I find knowing the meanings behind songs makes them even more enjoyable.

On Fame Monster I'm pretty sure I've only heard an official explanation of Bad Romance (she said it was about falling in love with your best friend on her iTunes celeb podcast thing) and a bunch of speculation about the rest. Fill us in Gaga!

e: on the same podcast she said the act for Monster was inspired by Michael Jackson's Thriller, but nothing about the lyrics.

Also, that podcast was the best thing ever because I found out that she loves to listen to old school Metal when she's at home off tour :3:

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 17, 2010

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Crows Turn Off posted:

It's actually "We might have hosed up, baby, sure don't quite recall," but it still fits.

No, he's right actually. Those are the same lyrics from the booklet.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Blodskur posted:

No, he's right actually. Those are the same lyrics from the booklet.
Hmm. I read them somewhere. drat you, Internet!!

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Have any of you seen The Crevette Films? Short films by Lady Gaga that I believe got some play during The Monster Ball.

They're similar to Monster. You'll see why if you watch them. Some pretty trippy poo poo.

The Heart/The Brain

There is another one called The Face but I've only seen it in awful quality. It really takes away from the whole experience so I won't even link it.

I found these from that long blog post that was posted in this thread earlier. A very good read.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

Crowbear posted:

Also, that podcast was the best thing ever because I found out that she loves to listen to old school Metal when she's at home off tour :3:

She said on Oprah she did a burlesque version of an Iron Maiden song when she was first getting started.

I was thinking 'I bet no one in this audience has ever heard of Iron Maiden'

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
i just found out that a girl i talked to who's a bartender @ kuma's corner in chicago served gaga when she came through to do shows. for those who don't know, kuma's is a kick rear end metal bar that serves the best burgers in the city. apparantly she at the whole drat thing

i wooted a little

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I don't know what to say about this:
http://playground.last.fm/unwanted

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Desert Bus posted:

A LOT of people are ashamed of listening to Gaga.

Also people are still listening to "Girlfriend".

Dr. John
Dec 4, 2007
WORLD'S SHITTIEST SECRET SANTA

RedneckwithGuns posted:

The talk about her being such a visually important artist, along with repeated listening to Speechless, makes me wish more than anything that Gaga would be given the ability to do a rock opera. I can't even begin to imagine what it would look like, I just know it would be the greatest thing, ever.

That would be loving awesome. I was just talking with a friend about how amazing her whole aesthetic is, that poo poo fully realized in some spectacular event would be mindblowing.

And there is no shame in listening to Gaga :colbert:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Crowbear posted:

On Fame Monster I'm pretty sure I've only heard an official explanation of Bad Romance (she said it was about falling in love with your best friend on her iTunes celeb podcast thing)

I'm currently caught in a Bad Romance. First time a song has come out around the same time to describe a situation of mine. Not love though.

Are there uncensored versions of Fame Monster out yet officially?

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
Don't know if this has been posted but...it's hypnotic:

http://www.raraahahahromaromamagagaoohlala.com/

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

cheese eats mouse posted:

Are there uncensored versions of Fame Monster out yet officially?

The Australian iTunes version is uncensored for whatever reason, but I guess that's not official unless you're Australian.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
just ordered this one :cool:

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
I just bought The Fame Monster and am now a huge GaGa fan. I already love pop music, but Lady GaGa is head and shoulders above most of the poo poo you hear; I just listened to a chart-topping abortion of a song called "Tik Tok" by Ke$ha and there's no comparison.

Also the Haiti t-shirt is really great :3:

NPR did a review of her music just a couple of days ago. I'm having no luck finding it on the website, but the 2 reviewer guys both said TFM was a "buy" record, and they both loved the hell out of her.

kyat
Jul 30, 2008

Crowbear posted:

Telephone is supposed to be set to have a video (or at least start taping one) by the end of this month. I believe that single is already "out"

I went to see her show in detroit a few days ago and it was absolutely incredible. I don't get why so many people have such a distaste for Gaga, she's really a great performer

Calantus
Sep 26, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

I have 9/10 of the songs on the first page in my profile. That's a good thing right? :dance:

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Genesis P-Ownage posted:

I just picked up this shirt today in Memphis, TN.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.
I just found this thread. I was at the West Lafayette show, or rather I was shut out at the door with the police while the paramedics were running in for her. I was bummed that they canceled the show *after* the two opening acts had already performed, but at least I'll get to see her when she swings back on the 26th. I had to reschedule a flight to NYC to catch the rescheduled date though. :argh:

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

Aericina posted:

I just found this thread. I was at the West Lafayette show, or rather I was shut out at the door with the police while the paramedics were running in for her. I was bummed that they canceled the show *after* the two opening acts had already performed, but at least I'll get to see her when she swings back on the 26th. I had to reschedule a flight to NYC to catch the rescheduled date though. :argh:

It's worth it. It is so worth the wait.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.
I'm positive that it'll be worth the wait. It's just a tad obnoxious to drive 3 hours round trip for a cop to tell me to go home. I'm really excited though!

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
Yesterday's Dinosaur Comic, vaguely reminiscent of the OP:

Also, I was impressed with this Fame Monster megamix. I thought they did a good job lining up songs from TFM with videos from the original album (plus Bad Romance).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlfKT524fCg

Groan Zone
Nov 21, 2004

chug-a-lug, donna

Genesis P-Ownage posted:

That was a great Kylie Minogue album.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

Blue Scream posted:

Yesterday's Dinosaur Comic, vaguely reminiscent of the OP:

Also, I was impressed with this Fame Monster megamix. I thought they did a good job lining up songs from TFM with videos from the original album (plus Bad Romance).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlfKT524fCg

And today he's posted this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YTO6hxVFxA
it's terrifying

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I can't believe I read this entire thread. I was a closet Gaga but I guess I'm all about her now.

And to repay you for sucking up so much of my time, here. A video showing how to get those Lady Gaga Eyes from Pokerface. drat I'm glad I'm a dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFMaLuI1uxc&feature=related

Irilly Dunnoe
Jan 13, 2010

But when turning her head at an extreme angle fails to produce a life-altering epiphany, she usually just short-circuits and rolls on her back.

Programmable Soda posted:

Upon initial listen, Monster was pretty good, though I've become less fond of it over time. Alejandro has somehow done the opposite, though I still wouldn't quite slate it for the full single treatment. I'm inclined to agree with Speechless and Teeth getting the whole nine yards, though. Speechless has got to be the most powerful track on the album, in my opinion.

Also, I've noticed a recurring theme of references to alcoholism in Lady Gaga's lyrics and videos (including live performances). Speechless, while having been meant to be for her father in encouraging him to get life-saving heart surgery, seems to have the most noticeable themes of alcoholism, with lyrics like "After all the drinks and the bars that we've been to/Would you give it all up/Could I give it all up for you?" and "Could we fix you if you broke?/And is your drunk life just a joke?" This is, of course, the lyric set she uses in her performance at the AMAs, paired with her smashing empty liquor bottles on the piano.

There is also the imagery of her being forced to drink what I would assume is vodka - as it is featured several times - in the video for Bad Romance, the title of which is easily a euphemism for any addiction, as she has mentioned having had a coke habit in the past.

I know in one interview, she mentioned alcohol as being among the themes she addresses in The Fame Monster, but does anyone know if she has made any direct mention of someone close to her having struggled with alcoholism?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Kat McDee posted:

does anyone know if she has made any direct mention of someone close to her having struggled with alcoholism?

Go listen to Just Dance.

She talks about booze a lot, you just have to listen for it.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

Have seen that video, I am a dude, would unironically do that zero fucks.

Action Man
Jan 31, 2007

Ok, so I've been reading this thread for a while and I think I'm ready to admit it...

I think TFM is a pretty great album :gay:

There I said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009

Action Man posted:

Ok, so I've been reading this thread for a while and I think I'm ready to admit it...

I think TFM is a pretty great album :gay:

There I said it.

It's ok. This is a safe place.

• Locked thread