Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it

euroboy posted:

Maybe we can get that Moses dude we're supposed to be in for then.

Owen Coyle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
yeah that football 3.0 thing makes perfect sense and everyone should follow Arsenal's example. All you need is a fanbase of 60,000 bankers and stockbrokers, guaranteed champions league revenue, a massive sponsorship deal, one of the best manager's the Premier League has ever seen, and the ability to cherry-pick any academy in the world. Why can't Portsmouth learn from their example???

pimpslap
Nov 27, 2002
new home, old colors, same Arsenal

pisshead posted:

yeah that football 3.0 thing makes perfect sense and everyone should follow Arsenal's example. All you need is a fanbase of 60,000 bankers and stockbrokers, guaranteed champions league revenue, a massive sponsorship deal, one of the best manager's the Premier League has ever seen, and the ability to cherry-pick any academy in the world. Why can't Portsmouth learn from their example???

Haha, amused that it generated so much animosity.

But seriously, it's obvious that the current massive debt strategy of club management is unsustainable, not every club can have a sugar daddy, and the consequences are coming to roost at several clubs. So where does that leave it?

Honestly, is it so far-fetched? The whole point of the article is that such a management strategy would not require a massive fanbase, massive revenues, or massive spending. However, it would require patience on the part of club and fans, a return to developing young talent, establishing a successful scouting network (either worldwide or in overlooked regions), and creating a club ethos that would help retain nurtured talent. So which one of those needs 100 million pounds annually?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

pimpslap posted:

Honestly, is it so far-fetched? The whole point of the article is that such a management strategy would not require a massive fanbase, massive revenues, or massive spending. However, it would require patience on the part of club and fans, a return to developing young talent, establishing a successful scouting network (either worldwide or in overlooked regions), and creating a club ethos that would help retain nurtured talent. So which one of those needs 100 million pounds annually?

I think a successful scouting network entails the ability to attract young players to play for your club and fight off offers from other clubs unless you're assuming that you're always going to be the only in the mix. Keeping young talent will also require success and/or wage spikes to keep players from jumping almost immediate to another big club once they rise to prominence. Plus, since not every find from your scouting system is going to be a success, you will have to plug holes with transfer spending and the more ambitious you get, the more money you will probably need to spend.

At some point, no matter how "smart" your operations are or how patient you can get people to be, a club will need to have a good amount of capital available to help fuel a push up the ladder. The more expensive football gets, the more capital you need even if you aren't trying to ape Real Madrid.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

TyChan posted:

I think a successful scouting network entails the ability to attract young players to play for your club and fight off offers from other clubs unless you're assuming that you're always going to be the only in the mix. Keeping young talent will also require success and/or wage spikes to keep players from jumping almost immediate to another big club once they rise to prominence. Plus, since not every find from your scouting system is going to be a success, you will have to plug holes with transfer spending and the more ambitious you get, the more money you will probably need to spend.

At some point, no matter how "smart" your operations are or how patient you can get people to be, a club will need to have a good amount of capital available to help fuel a push up the ladder. The more expensive football gets, the more capital you need even if you aren't trying to ape Real Madrid.

agreed. Right now arsenal can find a youngster and say "yes you might not get as much money coming to us, but we play in europe, will develop you into the best you can be and even if you don't make the first team the arsenal academy name will give you the best chance of getting into another top flight team". That falls apart if everyone is doing the same thing.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

pimpslap posted:

However, it would require patience on the part of club and fans, a return to developing young talent, establishing a successful scouting network (either worldwide or in overlooked regions), and creating a club ethos that would help retain nurtured talent. So which one of those needs 100 million pounds annually?

If any club but Arsenal tried Arsenal's strategy they would have been relegated ages ago.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

willkill4food posted:

If any club but Arsenal tried Arsenal's strategy they would have been relegated ages ago.

especially as Arsenal had an amazing team to play with while the academy started up

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

BunnyX posted:

Good day to be a Millwall fan. Now all I need is an unlikely looking West Ham implosion and it's all good.
:hfive:

With that UEFA regulation coming in, we could end up in Europe again in a few seasons the way things are going. :haw:

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

especially as Arsenal had an amazing team to play with while the academy started up

Arsene's method of becoming a top four team.

First start with a top two team and sell your best players.

Rawz
Aug 21, 2009
As further fuel for people to come laugh at Portsmouth, the fan forum I usually post on has decided that because we can't get onto the official Pompey website that this has gone down to it not being paid. I see no relief for us Pompey fans

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Rawz posted:

As further fuel for people to come laugh at Portsmouth, the fan forum I usually post on has decided that because we can't get onto the official Pompey website that this has gone down to it not being paid. I see no relief for us Pompey fans

They've come out with a statement, it's true

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

ibroxmassive posted:

They've come out with a statement, it's true

Where is it, Southampton's website? :)

Rawz
Aug 21, 2009
We probably decide which bills to pay by pulling 2 or 3 out of a hat

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Rawz posted:

We probably decide which bills to pay by pulling 2 or 3 out of a hat

like they can afford a hat

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

agreed. Right now arsenal can find a youngster and say "yes you might not get as much money coming to us, but we play in europe, will develop you into the best you can be and then repeatedly break you in training

Rawz
Aug 21, 2009

ibroxmassive posted:

like they can afford a hat

I hate to think what other 'surprises' will be in store. I don't see the players being paid or anyone else at the club. What about other utilities? The website must be quite a small amount of money. Maybe if we sell Kaboul in the next day or 2 we might have a chance.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

I'd be worried about the police bill for the FA Cup game to be honest. It nearly did in H&W and at the moment, Pompeys finances are probably worse than theirs

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

Rawz posted:

I hate to think what other 'surprises' will be in store. I don't see the players being paid or anyone else at the club. What about other utilities? The website must be quite a small amount of money. Maybe if we sell Kaboul in the next day or 2 we might have a chance.

they won't be paying them based on the due amounts, it will be based on what's essential, the website is not

Badgerman
Jul 20, 2004
Yus?
I still can't quite work out how we managed to get the embargo partially lifted. We are just completely and utterly buggered, we're going to be playing with jumpers for goalposts next.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Badgerman posted:

I still can't quite work out how we managed to get the embargo partially lifted. We are just completely and utterly buggered, we're going to be playing with jumpers for goalposts next.

I think it was on the understanding that you desperatly have to offload players and you couldnt do that with the embargo in place.

Rawz
Aug 21, 2009

Bhyo posted:

I think it was on the understanding that you desperatly have to offload players and you couldnt do that with the embargo in place.

Sales out then loans/frees in is the only way. Otherwise we'd be doomed if the embargo was in place. Not quite the sale I expected yet though but Kaboul must be sold. I thought someone would have snapped up Belhadj as well. As far as I know we can't sell KP Boateng, otherwise he'd be out.

Badgerman
Jul 20, 2004
Yus?
But that contradicts what our directors have been saying, that we don't need to sell players. How odd.

I think most Pomp fans have expected Kaboul to leave for a while now, and whilst he is our best player, I'm more wary of losing Begovic now. He's proven to be a top notch keeper that has prevented us from being embarassed a few times this season. That's not to say that we are currently going down with our dignity intact, but it's not as if we're losing 5:0 to Wigan week in week out as of yet.

edit: gently caress me

13.18 Skysports.com understands Tottenham are closing in a move for Portsmouth goalkeeper Asmir Begovic.

Badgerman fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 28, 2010

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

So at any point in the next week Tottenham could field a side made up entirely of players who were at Pompey in the last 12 months/

loving hell

Rawz
Aug 21, 2009

Badgerman posted:

But that contradicts what our directors have been saying, that we don't need to sell players. How odd.

Do you believe anything the owners/directors say anymore? I take it as what they want us to hear and the rest is open for speculation. I don't see how we would stay afloat with no money coming in from sales. Unless a new owner is around the corner I'd say we're a tiny bit doomed.

edit: I love Harry Redknapp

Rawz fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 28, 2010

Badgerman
Jul 20, 2004
Yus?
It was more of a pisstake at how horrible a job the board has done in taking a Premier League club and forcing them to fold before they were even relegated.

I really don't know what to make of Storrie, I'm sure he's ate a lot of poo poo being where he is, but if it's true that he's one of the highest paid Chief Execs then I'm struggling to find any sympathy for the bloke.

Rawz
Aug 21, 2009

Badgerman posted:

It was more of a pisstake at how horrible a job the board has done in taking a Premier League club and forcing them to fold before they were even relegated.

I really don't know what to make of Storrie, I'm sure he's ate a lot of poo poo being where he is, but if it's true that he's one of the highest paid Chief Execs then I'm struggling to find any sympathy for the bloke.

I also have no idea what to make of Storrie anymore. I never really used to bother myself with what goes on behind the scenes, but now you can't help but blame him and the directors for the farce that's going on.

gibsonisacripple
Feb 24, 2001

CHAMPIONS
Site seems to be working ok and there's an ad for http://www.pfcfinancialservices.co.uk/creditcards/

Any takers?

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Haha, seems like Harry is buying Pompey players just to further destroy them.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Spurs are having their pick of Pompey players because Pompey still owe them money

Outrespective
Oct 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vando posted:

Spurs are having their pick of Pompey players because Pompey still owe them money

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

gibsonisacripple posted:

Site seems to be working ok and there's an ad for http://www.pfcfinancialservices.co.uk/creditcards/

Any takers?

Only the Glazer family, how else do you think they were able to buy Man Utd

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

Vando posted:

well if they don't get them soon they'll get pennies on the pound for what they're owed, pompey are going down and I'm not talking relegation

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Vando posted:

I still don't get how you can sell spurs all your good players and still owe them money.

Couch
May 16, 2004

COME ON TOT!

Byolante posted:

I still don't get how you can sell spurs all your good players and still owe them money.

Daniel Levy manages to balance out spunking 2 Henrys worth on Bent and Pav, by being really good at selling players. See also: Jews.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Byolante posted:

By buying all of their bad players for more money than you sold them your good players for.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

Byolante posted:

Harry Redknapp

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil
If we need to bail them out to avoid Liverpool gaining ground on us we can just pay them to take Benjani off our hands.

brapbrapbrap
Jan 18, 2010

by T. Mascis
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8488910.stm

And to think I got roundly abused on here for pointing out that something like this would happen and there would be no way on earth a club like Man Utd would go bust etc...

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

brapbrapbrap posted:

And to think I got roundly abused on here for pointing out that something like this would happen and there would be no way on earth a club like Man Utd would go bust etc...

This isn't what you were saying at all

e: also gonna stick my neck waayyyyy out and say this is never going to loving happen because like hell are they going to raise ~£800m for a takeover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

brapbrapbrap posted:

I doubt the glazers want to sell now they are just at the point of really taking money out the club but you never know. Also £800 million is a lot to give away, that's at least 10 billionaires who love utd a whole bunch.

• Locked thread