Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

I could care less if Gaga wins any awards tonight, since I haven't watched a Grammy's ceremony in years. The first six minutes of the show were entirely worth it though for a really great performance of one of my favorite Fame Monster songs. :unsmith:

The little blasting furnace stunt was pretty cool, as far as the special effects of the performance go, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
gently caress, the video's already gone :(

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWsXi0Mmt4o

Chasing GaGa...

Blue Scream fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 1, 2010

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

In case you guys don't know, Gaga has already won two Grammys. She won Best Dance Album and Best Dance Recording. They just weren't televised

ToxicWind
May 23, 2006

Impossible! There is no intelligent life form capable of escaping the labyrinth of the multiverse!
Well, I tried uploading it in HD onto youtube, but they deleted the performance instantly after I completely uploaded it.
Anyways, it was very fantastic.

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

I want that loving piano.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I love how Gaga conquered the pop field but she's slowly converting the people who wouldn't usually give her music a chance.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Hope you guys like that piano, my shop made it in like 4 days. There were arms over the entire top, but they removed about a dozen at the last minute for better camera view.

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

Lady Gaga in the audience with her dad

http://twitpic.com/10svuj

edit: ^^^^^ Holy poo poo really? Did you get any time to talk to Gaga?

F.F. Woodycooks fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 1, 2010

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
No, it was a commissioned piece, given as a gift from artist Terence Koh to Gaga. We had lots of interaction with the artist, but Gaga apparently really likes the piano! We're bringing it to her house some time this week, I think.

Dreamlogic
May 11, 2007

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

Lady Gaga in the audience with her dad

http://twitpic.com/10svuj

edit: ^^^^^ Holy poo poo really? Did you get any time to talk to Gaga?

Ahaha that poor guy sitting behind her...

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

Dreamlogic posted:

Ahaha that poor guy sitting behind her...

Well seeing as the guy behind her is Space Cowboy, her producer and DJ, I doubt he minds too much

blippyblop
Aug 5, 2004

Haha, Gaga & Beyonce got robbed by Taylor Swift for Best Album.

Atrocious, Swift couldn't even sing in tune during her performance.

blippyblop fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 1, 2010

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

VirtualReality posted:

Atrocious, she couldn't even sing in tune during her performance.

Not to mention Stevie Nicks didn't seem too into singing Taylor's song

blippyblop
Aug 5, 2004

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

Not to mention Stevie Nicks didn't seem too into singing Taylor's song

I don't blame her, she's a little too old to be singing about kissing under bleachers.

I don't know why anyone would be impressed that Swift writes all her own lyrics, they're all nickelodeon crap songs. I have no idea how she even won Country song of the year, that song isn't country at all.

blippyblop fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 1, 2010

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

VirtualReality posted:

VirtualReality posted:

I don't blame her, she's a little too old to be singing about kissing under bleachers.

I don't know why anyone would be impressed that Swift writes all her own lyrics, they're all nickelodeon crap songs. I have no idea how she even won Country song of the year, that song isn't country at all.

poo poo like this is why I no longer care who wins at the Grammys. Sometimes it just feels like they pull the winner out of a hat.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

VirtualReality posted:

Because apparently very few popular female artists actually have any control over their music or career. Of course, Gaga does, but she's not as wholesome and non-threatening as Swift (ie, she dresses like a hermaphrodite whereas Swift sings about her girly crush on the popular jock in high school).

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Porcupine Hunted
Sep 7, 2008

Too bad she didn't win any more for her efforts, she even dressed up like electro-Cinderella...
http://justjared.buzznet.com/2010/01/31/lady-gaga-grammys-2010-red-carpet/ (gallery)

But goddamn, that duet was beyond awesome. Did anyone else hear a bit of Bohemian Rhapsody in the intro to Poker Face?

Also, I have never really had any interest in the Grammy Awards - so hearing that Neil Young won his FIRST Grammy EVER was very telling to me...

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
I just came here to say that I unabashedly lve Lady Gaga.

She's absolutely fantastic in every facet of her career. Last night's performance with Elton actually won over a couple of straggling friends of mine.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Stupid girlfriend has control over the remote so I ended up watching stupid Criminal minds all night instead of the Grammys. I requireeee a youtube link that won't go away in five minutes, damnit

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Sockser posted:

Stupid girlfriend has control over the remote so I ended up watching stupid Criminal minds all night instead of the Grammys. I requireeee a youtube link that won't go away in five minutes, damnit

This appears to be on the HausofGagaVideos account. Maybe it will stay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuYsqPWXLTo

Also my wife is addicted to Criminal Minds as well...and I've started to like it too.

Edit: I would really like to see a HD version of the performance.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
iTunes has a Grammy page that says the performances from last night are "coming soon". So I assume in the next day or two they'll have the duet up in HD for $2 or whatever.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Grammys have been completely irrelevant for so many years now, but that performance was pretty enjoyable and fun. Elton John is a pretty cool dude

Upset Kanye didn't do anything to make headlines, always seems to make boring awards shows more interesting.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
The Grammys are bullshit, but that purple Armani dress is incredible :3:

blippyblop
Aug 5, 2004

NicelyNice posted:

Upset Kanye didn't do anything to make headlines, always seems to make boring awards shows more interesting.

I'm glad he didn't, Swift doesn't need more pity awards.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

VirtualReality posted:

The Grammys have their finger on the pulse of America. You know nothing.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Dan Hollis posted:

Reading only the first page and then the last page of this thread reveals some sort of social phenomenon where pop culture mimics the effects of parasites on an ant colony. It is actually quite fascinating.
:smug:

Taylor Swift is a hack and does not deserve that guitar she was banging on.

I have no idea why the fashion blogs are making GBS threads all over Gaga's outfit. I thought she looked beautiful and the dress was great.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.

Sockser posted:

There's a decent quality version on Tyler Durden today.
http://www.wwtdd.com/2010/02/lady-gaga-took-my-breath-away/

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

spite house posted:

I have no idea why the fashion blogs are making GBS threads all over Gaga's outfit. I thought she looked beautiful and the dress was great.

The same reason music snobs poo poo all over her music.

I agree, she looked great, as always. The only outfit of hers I really didn't like was the muppet getup.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Aericina posted:

There's a decent quality version on Tyler Durden today.
http://www.wwtdd.com/2010/02/lady-gaga-took-my-breath-away/

I could listen to/watch this all day. And now I really, really, really want them to do a studio version of the mash-up.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The Remote Viewer posted:

I agree, she looked great, as always. The only outfit of hers I really didn't like was the muppet getup.

I liked the outfit, but when she wore it it looked as though someone had punched her in the eye or something as it was all wonked off to the side which just made everything look terrible

blippyblop
Aug 5, 2004

How can anyone hate the kermit dress?

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

VirtualReality posted:

How can anyone hate the kermit dress?
I liked the idea of the dress, not so much the execution. Also, Gaga juxtaposed with such a recognizable brand is a little jarring.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

As good as the duet with Elton was last night, it was also really cool to see the narrative Gaga is trying to weave around her music as an introduction to the duet. Kind of like what people were talking about at the very beginning of this thread, it's one of the more interesting parts about her work so far because it actually gives substance to the music rather than just "Oh hey this song is pretty catchy :dance: ". I haven't seen her in concert, which it seems to me is where most of this stuff is seen rather than just through listening to her albums, but if it was a more public part of her image it might give her a greater presence of a talented artist rather than just a pop-star. But if the "story" behind her music is any influence over this, the public thinking she's just a soulless pop-star is playing along with it.

It's all really :2bong:

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I wish she'd either stop doing the hand motion choreographs or stop physically holding a microphone. Doing both at the same time just looks silly.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.
Teeth video again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fhrRfTFeug

Rawr gay bondage vampires!

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
One of her outfits looks like it was referencing The Spirit of Detroit

quote:

In its left hand, the large seated figure holds a gilt bronze sphere emanating rays to symbolize God. In its right hand, is a family group symbolizing all human relationships.

Given all that Gaga's done for marriage equality for gay families, this seems like a reference to "God and the Gays"

quote:

A plaque in front of the sculpture bears the inscription, "Through the spirit of man is manifested in the family, the noblest human relationship."

This pretty much mirrors the argument of what just happened in the Prop 8 federal trial here in California.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but given how big she is on symbolism...

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

Given all that Gaga's done for marriage equality for gay families...
Just curious, what has she done, other than say she supports it?

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Crows Turn Off posted:

She's always marching in Pride, she gave a GREAT speech and performace in Washington D.C. at HRC's annual dinner, and she just did This benefit concert in Atlantic City. She also auctioned off a meet-and-greet with her for Cyndi Lauper's HRC benefit auction.

blippyblop
Aug 5, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

Before the concert I went to they had Gaga in commercials for a charity for homeless GLBT youths, encouraging people to donate or volunteer, and that she'd match any donation that day. Apparently some volunteers got VIP packages or something.

blippyblop fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Furthering the gay Mexican agenda.

RedneckwithGuns posted:

As good as the duet with Elton was last night, it was also really cool to see the narrative Gaga is trying to weave around her music as an introduction to the duet. Kind of like what people were talking about at the very beginning of this thread, it's one of the more interesting parts about her work so far because it actually gives substance to the music rather than just "Oh hey this song is pretty catchy :dance: ". I haven't seen her in concert, which it seems to me is where most of this stuff is seen rather than just through listening to her albums, but if it was a more public part of her image it might give her a greater presence of a talented artist rather than just a pop-star. But if the "story" behind her music is any influence over this, the public thinking she's just a soulless pop-star is playing along with it.

It's all really :2bong:

I really like the performance art aspect to her shows, and I took it to mean that many people perceive her just as another soulless pop star that will go away in a year ("I got another Lady Gaga!"), but when the real deal finally came along, it was blowing all the competition out of the water, and though they try to get rid of her, she just comes straight back with the support of her fans.

I interpret it as she intends to be around for a long, long time which I am more than happy with. :)

• Locked thread