Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chrome taco
Apr 14, 2005

I'm no meteorologist, but I'm pretty sure it's rainin' bitches

elf pr0n posted:

:swoon:
:3:

That is a Pembroke, right? The big ears and all. I've just opened up a savings account especially for Corgi money :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

chrome taco posted:

That is a Pembroke, right? The big ears and all. I've just opened up a savings account especially for Corgi money :v:

Yeah, that's a Pembroke, but both Pembrokes and Cardigans have huge ears. :)

Good places to find out more about the breeds are the breed club websites here.

http://www.pembrokecorgi.org/
http://www.cardigancorgis.com/

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

chrome taco posted:

I joke with my husband that we should all get together and arrange a goon-only litter.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

lu lu lu posted:

I joke with my husband that we should all get together and arrange a goon-only litter.

My husband keeps repeating that we're at least two years out from being able to have our own dog, but I would begborrowsteal to get a deposit on a puppy from this here hypothetical litter.

infestedtwinkie
Sep 26, 2002

Can anyone recommend a reputable pembroke breeders, preferably on the west coast.

EDIT: the link above sent me to abandoned and old websites.

infestedtwinkie fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 1, 2010

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
9thing the crate suggestion for Milhouse. Ace did FINALLY (so far) grow out of his "destroy random poo poo for no reason" phase, but during it our crate was a godsend. Even with it, he ate a foot diameter hole in the carpet, the doorframe of our front door, his own dog bed (several times), and 1 very unfortunant aquaman figurine. Aquaman was killed into tiny tiny little pieces despite an open bag of doggie cookies being CLOSER to get than he was. Ace just hated him I guess.

For his own safety, I recommend the crate, if only so all that random crap and drywall doesn't end up in his digestive system and make him sick.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

infestedtwinkie posted:

Can anyone recommend a reputable pembroke breeders, preferably on the west coast.

EDIT: the link above sent me to abandoned and old websites.

Still shoot off an e-mail to the people on those lists and ask them if they have litters planned or if they know of other reputable breeders that have upcoming litters. It's a lot of legwork to get a good dog, but it's completely worth it in the end. You can also try contacting the Marpran kennel, as they currently have a pair of pups, and have another litter planned for this year. The two puppies are likely spoken for, but you can get on a waiting list for the newer litter.

She's located in MO, but I'm in Seattle and can vouch for the fact that she picked the best puppy (temperament-wise) for me. She would also probably know if there are any other breeders that have pups available soon. Another person to ask is Kathi Gangi. She's located in Washington state. If you shoot her off an e-mail, she may know if there any litters in the area coming up soon.

infestedtwinkie
Sep 26, 2002

Miss Indy posted:

Still shoot off an e-mail to the people on those lists and ask them if they have litters planned or if they know of other reputable breeders that have upcoming litters. It's a lot of legwork to get a good dog, but it's completely worth it in the end. You can also try contacting the Marpran kennel, as they currently have a pair of pups, and have another litter planned for this year. The two puppies are likely spoken for, but you can get on a waiting list for the newer litter.

She's located in MO, but I'm in Seattle and can vouch for the fact that she picked the best puppy (temperament-wise) for me. She would also probably know if there are any other breeders that have pups available soon. Another person to ask is Kathi Gangi. She's located in Washington state. If you shoot her off an e-mail, she may know if there any litters in the area coming up soon.

Thanks for the tip, I'll contact them for sure. I didn't mean to come off lazy. I've just emailed a few people from the lists and never got a response. I'll just keep going down the list until I get a response.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

infestedtwinkie posted:

Thanks for the tip, I'll contact them for sure. I didn't mean to come off lazy. I've just emailed a few people from the lists and never got a response. I'll just keep going down the list until I get a response.

As I've been talking to breeders and have been looking I can tell you that you really shouldn't rely on e-mail. At least that's how it has come off so far for Pennsylvania, definitely more phone people. Which is sort of annoying because some work full time jobs and can only be reached at odd times... making an e-mail chain perfect.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.
Do any of your Corgis chew and eat sticks?

When I take mine out for a walk, she loves to lie around and chew on sticks, break them into tiny pieces, and then swallow them! This just doesn't seem to be a good thing to me. When I try to fish the pieces out of her mouth, she just frantically gulps it down. What to do?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

amishsexpot posted:

When I take mine out for a walk, she loves to lie around and chew on sticks, break them into tiny pieces, and then swallow them! This just doesn't seem to be a good thing to me. When I try to fish the pieces out of her mouth, she just frantically gulps it down. What to do?

A dog at my park had to be rushed to the emergency for eating sticks -- they'd become lodged in its throat, blocked its airway, and it collapsed. A thousand dollars later it's still alive and kicking. Sticks can be dangerous if your dog is consuming them.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
My pup used to do it (and we used to allow it) as well. I don't think she was as bad, because she would mostly chew on larger sticks and swallow some small pieces but in general she wasn't swallowing a large amount of the stick. We heard some similar horror stories though and stopped allowing it using "drop it" and "leave it".

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I would, in general, think that if you just get a bundle of sticks, and put them down on the floor in a controlled environment, and slowly award your dog every time it stayed away from the sticks, it would figure out "hey they like it when I don't do that!"

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

amishsexpot posted:

Have you taught her "drop it" yet? That was by far the most useful command we taught our dog as a puppy. She had a habit of picking up anything and everything: including sticks, small rocks, chewed bubble gum, etc... drat short legged dogs being close to the ground. ;)

You can teach "drop it" with a toy and treats. Just say "drop it" as she drops the toy in favor of the treat. It works pretty well while playing fetch, also stops that annoying "ok I fetched it, now I'm gonna play keep away" behavior.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

anachrodragon posted:

You can teach "drop it" with a toy and treats. Just say "drop it" as she drops the toy in favor of the treat. It works pretty well while playing fetch, also stops that annoying "ok I fetched it, now I'm gonna play keep away" behavior.

This is exactly what we did and our pit mix learned really quickly. It was a lifesaver when we wanted to stop the stick behavior.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could lend your Corgi expertise here. I saw an ad for Pembroke puppies, and I will be calling today, but look at the pics. They look much more like Cardigans to me.

I'm desperate though and these puppies are really close to me and I've seen some Prembroke's online that look like this then their ears perk up and they're ready to party.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snuphaluphagus
Feb 14, 2006
Looks like Pembrokes to me.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.

anachrodragon posted:

Have you taught her "drop it" yet? That was by far the most useful command we taught our dog as a puppy. She had a habit of picking up anything and everything: including sticks, small rocks, chewed bubble gum, etc... drat short legged dogs being close to the ground. ;)

Thanks, guys!

Beanie hasn't mastered "drop it" yet, but I haven't tried the "treat for the toy" trick -- sounds like a plan! I definitely, DEFINITELY have a problem with the "I'm gonna play keep away" game with her, too, so hopefully that will help that as well. I'm excited!

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

The Dave posted:

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could lend your Corgi expertise here. I saw an ad for Pembroke puppies, and I will be calling today, but look at the pics. They look much more like Cardigans to me.

I'm desperate though and these puppies are really close to me and I've seen some Prembroke's online that look like this then their ears perk up and they're ready to party.

Where did you see this ad? Most reputable breeders don't post online ads for their puppies.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It was a local thing that I took a cell pic of and cropped/collage-ed the pictures myself. Going to talk to the breeder today to try and get an idea and see if there are read flags. The snout and ears just didn't come off that Pembroke to me with what I've seen so far.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

The Dave posted:

It was a local thing that I took a cell pic of and cropped/collage-ed the pictures myself. Going to talk to the breeder today to try and get an idea and see if there are read flags. The snout and ears just didn't come off that Pembroke to me with what I've seen so far.

Reputable breeders don't tend to place adds for puppies at all, so I'd be very skeptical of anyone you saw placing an add in a newspaper/magazine/online/etc... It's very likely you're dealing with a BYB if not a puppy mill.

If you do decide to talk to the breeder, be sure to ask what kind of health and genetic testing was done on the parents, and whether the parents are titled and/or working dogs.

I like the ASPCAs page on responsible breeding, so I'd look that over and make sure the breeder fits every single one of their criteria:

http://www.aspca.org/fight-animal-cruelty/puppy-mills/where-we-stand-on-puppy.html

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I've been making my own checklists over the last month 2 months of talking to and visiting breeders. Going to Lancaster really set up all my cynicism.

EDIT: Though one thing I don't get is the ears. Maybe I'm just not used to dogs who have bat ears but they just pop up over time? The guy I last spoke to said they pop up around 12-13 weeks and his poppy currently has one ear that is up and the other one is coming around.

I've also been around puppies that were 6 weeks old and both ears were as erect as a teenager. Educate me please.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 4, 2010

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

The Dave posted:

Yeah I've been making my own checklists over the last month 2 months of talking to and visiting breeders. Going to Lancaster really set up all my cynicism.

EDIT: Though one thing I don't get is the ears. Maybe I'm just not used to dogs who have bat ears but they just pop up over time? The guy I last spoke to said they pop up around 12-13 weeks and his poppy currently has one ear that is up and the other one is coming around.

I've also been around puppies that were 6 weeks old and both ears were as erect as a teenager. Educate me please.

They go up on their own, most of the time. Frank (my pem) was a late bloomer and his ears would go up sporadically before they started coming up and staying. He would definitely wake up with the ear equivalent of morning wood, which was hilarious to make jokes about. It's also incredibly cute to see a little Pem pup with one up and one down.

Some guys end up having to have their ears taped up to help guide them and strengthen the cartilage, but I think (and will probably be wrong) that is more common with cardis?

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Eff Jay posted:

Some guys end up having to have their ears taped up to help guide them and strengthen the cartilage, but I think (and will probably be wrong) that is more common with cardis?

Yeah, we went through several rounds of ear taping with Josie. It seemed to be a factor with her whole litter actually. I think they just had difficult ears or something. Her breeder says that her sister Greta had to have her ears taped periodically for six months. Josie was more off and on. Her ears started to go up, then they flopped again when she started teething, then it took a while to get them up again.

I looked through the old posts in this thread and found some pictures of the ear progression:

Baby Josie:

Click here for the full 687x599 image.

The day we brought her home:

Click here for the full 778x583 image.

Then one ear was up:

Click here for the full 583x778 image.

Then they both flopped and needed to be taped again:

Click here for the full 490x653 image.

Finally they both stayed up on their own:

Click here for the full 734x979 image.

Edit: Just wanted to add, that some pups do have ears that come up early. There was one of Josie's siblings, the smallest in the litter, that had fully erect ears at 10 weeks. That was the only one though, all the rest were late bloomers.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 4, 2010

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

amishsexpot posted:

Thanks, guys!

Beanie hasn't mastered "drop it" yet, but I haven't tried the "treat for the toy" trick -- sounds like a plan! I definitely, DEFINITELY have a problem with the "I'm gonna play keep away" game with her, too, so hopefully that will help that as well. I'm excited!

It was actually kind of a pain to teach Snaps to fetch. She would much rather chase the other dog than whatever is thrown, and she had a doggy roommate for the first 7 or so months we had her. When I finally got around to teaching her to "give", I had already unintentionally taught her that me getting out treats meant for her to be right beside me doing a certain set of commands (sit, stand, down, speak, and circus). It's hard to teach "give" when she has already dropped in for the promise of treats. I ended up getting one of these and putting treats in it ahead of time. Whenever she brought it to me she would get a treat out of it.

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"
I figured sense corgi-mixes are allowed, this would be the best place to post this.

My other dog past away a month back, and today I went to the South LA animal pound and got this little girl.

She's only about 22 pounds, so I could pass her off as a "tea cup" corgi to someone who didn't know a single thing about the breed.

She's extremly mellow so far, but that might just be the shell-shock of ending up in the pound, getting fixed and being relocated into a brand new place.

One thing is for sure. She sheds like a corgi :gonk:

My big concern for her right now is her back. The kennel put her at 10 months old, and I live on the second floor of an apartment. Should I be carrying her up and down the stairs when we go out?

lionskull
Jul 12, 2006

Is that seriously a corgi pitbull? She is ridiculously cute (and looks kinda pissed about it).

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"
Don't tell my landlord about the half pitbull part :ssh:

She's pissed because some people drugged her to the gills today, and pulled out her uterus to prevent any unwanted litters.

So far she's been proving herself as rather pleasant and good natured, AND from the looks of it so far, might even be house broken :dance:

Mucktron fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 6, 2010

Mooch and Earl
May 20, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Evil Eagle posted:

It has been rather cold here in Texas this winter, and this morning I woke up to see the pool completely frozen. Naturally Rain had to walk around a bit on it.

Where do you live? I got some pictures of a friend's dogs venturing out on a frozen pond in Waco.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
Meet Denny Crane, the most smug bastard on the planet.

Him at 8 weeks

10 weeks :3:

4 months

Why halo thar, can I help you?

Yeah, you're checkin' me out. I know it.

Couldn't be happier with this little guy. He's currently 8 months old, and definitely going through his terrible two's. He's smart enough to get what he wants and mischievous enough to want to raise havoc. Stubborn as all hell but completely devoted to us. Looking forward to a long, fun time with him.

Snuphaluphagus
Feb 14, 2006
I cannot believe that someone stole my name for a corgi.

That being said, he's adorable.

Lucky Cat
May 1, 2009

Meet Reznor Arthur Herbert Fonzarelli ((Cat.))

I named him after Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails (my favorite band,) and The Fonz (my favorite TV personality.) Also, you know drat well that is the coolest Motherfucking middle name on the Planet. :colbert:

I just got him today from a breeder near my home. When I went to see the litter, he kept climbing up in my arms and licking my chin. I think he chose me, so I chose him.

Oh, yeah, he'll be two months old tomorrow.

Schwartz
Oct 21, 2003

I heard y'all liked Corgis.

We've had 9 in my family so far, 6 still with us. Almost all rescues. They're all my parent's/sister's/adopted brother's (not really my adopted brother, but he might as well be.) I bucked the trend and got an Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix. They're amazingly fun to watch play...my Aussie jogs and lets the Corgis catch up, and then sprints to piss them off.

Izlude17
May 24, 2008

Love my Pembroke! :roflolmao:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

This just popped up at a local shelter:

They say he's a corgi/terrier mix, and I can definitely see it. I may have to go check him out. :) Anything in particular I should look for in a corgi mix?

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

angryhampster posted:

They say he's a corgi/terrier mix, and I can definitely see it. I may have to go check him out. :) Anything in particular I should look for in a corgi mix?

I love seeing the corgi mixes. He's super cute.

As with any mix, he could have the traits from any of the breeds he's mixed with. Best thing is to go meet him, and talk to the shelter staff if you can. Hopefully they'll be able to tell you something about his personality.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

angryhampster posted:

He looks sassy :3:

TheLoveliestRedhead
Feb 2, 2006
My boyfriend bought me a forums account so we could spend more time together. On the internet.

Cellular Suicide posted:

Meet Denny Crane, the most smug bastard on the planet.

Him at 8 weeks

Best name for a dog ever.

Allison just went to town on the dregs of the yogurt.

Click here for the full 912x684 image.

Man, she loves those things.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

anachrodragon posted:

I love seeing the corgi mixes. He's super cute.

As with any mix, he could have the traits from any of the breeds he's mixed with. Best thing is to go meet him, and talk to the shelter staff if you can. Hopefully they'll be able to tell you something about his personality.

Thanks for the info. I may try to head down there Saturday. He looks super cute in their photos and they say he's only ~1yr old. I grew up with a jack russel terrier but I love corgis..so what's better than a long terrier? :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitten Mittens
Nov 4, 2009

The priest told the brothers that she could not be killed.
She flew out of the stone cold ground and
She'll find you and she'll kill you

TheLoveliestRedhead posted:

Best name for a dog ever.

Allison just went to town on the dregs of the yogurt.

Click here for the full 912x684 image.

Man, she loves those things.
These dogs should be friends

I want a corgi so bad..When I get out of school, into a house and job, it will be the first thing I do.

• Locked thread