Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
New snapshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
From scanning the comments, caveats with the new build (which may also have been true in older ones):
Broken spellcheck
Broken Opera unite
Broken Opera link
Broken google docs/calendar

But in better news, no more crashes on crap from the rightclick menu, and Facebook works. :)

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The new view menu is nice, but the text renders white on white for me.

Honestly my biggest grief right now is that the mouse gesture for "new tab" opens a clear tab instead of speed dial, and doesnt even focus the address bar for a quick "g <x>" search.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Blue Moonlight posted:

Great, a customer for almost a decade, and they kill my web space. loving ISPs.

I'll work out a new location for hosting of the QuickMenu.

Awesome thanks! I'd really like to give this quickmenu business a try.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
that glass skin just keeps getting better...

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
The owners of H.264 just announced that they'll keep H.264 royalty free until at least 2016. I wonder if this will encourage Opera to support it.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
The press release. The wording sounds to me like it only impacts content providers and not browsers. A browser should have the ability to play paid-for Internet video, or even non-Internet free video, which are still open for fees.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
This article on betanews goes into some detail, including the fact that there are still licensing issues, even if nobody is technically getting charged for anything. As far as I can tell nothing has been simplified.

Someone in the comments mentioned that Google may be in the process of acquiring On2, whose VP3 codec formed the basis for Ogg Theora. Has anybody else heard of this? Because if it does happen and Google opens up all of On2's codecs (some of which are pretty drat nice), things may get real different real quick.

(Comedy "anybody else remember Ogg Tarkin" answer.)

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Does anyone know of a better element hider than the fanboy one? One more like adthwart or adblock.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Startacus posted:

Does anyone know of a better element hider than the fanboy one? One more like adthwart or adblock.

theres a few different filters, someone posted them earlier. I use fanboy's in combination with http://adsweep.org/ and it works pretty well, though I've only been using that since recently and fanboy does fine 99% of the time.

what sites are you having trouble with out of curiousity?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Another new snapshot.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

weird that link doesn't work

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/02/05/skin-fixes-unite-and-then-some

:cry: speed dial in a newtab still isn't working

thrawn86 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 5, 2010

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
New version sure feels nice compared to 10.10, but using it for any length of time is EXTREMELY inadvisable.

Usually 2000 is a very high value there, but this totally takes the cake. I had my taskbar wandering all over the screen because windows' GDI sub-component was puking everywhere.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I'm very glad that 10.50 starts up quickly, as I've had to restart it every hour or two precisely because of that. It's sort of amusing how horribly it breaks when it hits 10,000 and stops being able to make more GDI objects.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Is there a way to make opera auto-detect the language you're typing in? (For the spell-checker.) I need to type stuff in two different languages, and having to switch manually annoys me.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Does 10.5 also shutdown more quickly? I always hate restarting current versions not because it takes too long to start up but because it churns in the background for at least 30 seconds after the window disappears during which I have to wait before I can start it again.

Also, one of you please report the GDI objects thing if you haven't already. It seems like the sort of thing a lot of "beta tester" users would miss (or be unable to identify the cause of) and it's obviously very very important.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Lakitu7 posted:

Also, one of you please report the GDI objects thing if you haven't already. It seems like the sort of thing a lot of "beta tester" users would miss (or be unable to identify the cause of) and it's obviously very very important.
Where would i report that? I strongly dislike doing it in the blog comments because i have no idea whether anyone reads after 400 comments and the whole having to log in bullshit.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Lakitu7 posted:

Does 10.5 also shutdown more quickly? I always hate restarting current versions not because it takes too long to start up but because it churns in the background for at least 30 seconds after the window disappears during which I have to wait before I can start it again.
Yeah, it pretty much shuts and reopens almost immediately now, without that annoying window appearing.

Mithaldu posted:

Where would i report that? I strongly dislike doing it in the blog comments because i have no idea whether anyone reads after 400 comments and the whole having to log in bullshit.
You'd do that here.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Mithaldu posted:

What he said. No, they don't read after 400 comments, but they definitely do read the stuff from formal bug reports. It sucks that you can't see existing ones, though, since you can never tell if you're submitting a duplicate report.

Blodskur posted:

Yeah, it pretty much shuts and reopens almost immediately now, without that annoying window appearing.

Wow, so on top of the other stuff, 10.5 fixes what I think is my last longstanding dislike about Opera and when the GDI handles thing is fixed it really will be perfect. :toot:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Blodskur posted:

You'd do that here.

Awesome, no registration. Reported with screenshot!

Tikki
Aug 13, 2007
Life is too short for... No. Life is just too short!
I really hope they move the tab bar up on the Mac version, like it is on the Windows version (Or Chrome) before final... I'd hate to have to stay on 10.10.

Yes, I'm one of those weird people, who makes the browser UI take up as little space as possible.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Tikki posted:

I really hope they move the tab bar up on the Mac version, like it is on the Windows version (Or Chrome) before final... I'd hate to have to stay on 10.10.

Yes, I'm one of those weird people, who makes the browser UI take up as little space as possible.
Either they reformed or disabled their whole modular GUI system for the Mac (because they sure didnt for 10.50) or you're one of those weird super-passive people who never right click->Customize->Appearance (or any of the other ways to go open the Appearance settings like the main menu) when they want to change the, you know, Appearance of the browser.

For the record here's a 1:1 screenshot of my Opera 10.50 layout:

You can easily move the address bar into the tab bar to save another line, but that troubles the handy auto-complete popup.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 7, 2010

Tikki
Aug 13, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Either they reformed or disabled their whole modular GUI system for the Mac (because they sure didnt for 10.50) or you're one of those weird super-passive people who never right click->Customize->Appearance (or any of the other ways to go open the Appearance settings like the main menu) when they want to change the, you know, Appearance of the browser.

Either I fail at explaining or you fail at comprehending. So here's a 'shop of what I mean:

As it is now.

How it should be.

There is now way of doing this, I have tried.

(This is the same setup I use on 10.10; no buttons except the one to toggle the view bar)

Edit: This is maximized by the way.. Although that concept doesn't really exist on Mac OS X.

Tikki fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 7, 2010

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
New Windows only snapshot.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Blodskur posted:

GDI stuff is still hosed. Given Opera's historic slowness in fixing these things it would be nice if some goons could add a bit of weight to that thread to make it clear that this issue is critical.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Blodskur posted:

Cool: Merged back and forward buttons

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Tikki posted:

Either I fail at explaining or you fail at comprehending. So here's a 'shop of what I mean: As it is now. (...) How it should be.
Ah, now i see what you mean. "Moving the tab bar up" seemed a bit generic to me. My bad. In non-maximized state the tabs are pushed down 10 pixels by default so you can still 'grab' the window and drag it even when you have one or more filled row of tabs. I think since the free space on the tab bar is draggable too, it should just 'slide down' when the top row of tabs fills up.
One of the notes for the last (windows) snapshot is:
* Added a pref for the height of the draggable area when integrating the tabs in the chrome
* Use a more flexible layout of the pagebar when integrating in the chrome, allowing pagebar tail and floating to go under the close/maximize/minimize buttons when there is space
So they're obviously still exploring the whole issue.
Maybe if there's no 'maximized' state on mac that notifies the application Opera can't tell if it has to keep the space unused for dragging the window. :(

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

the only "problems" I've been having are that the alpha keeps stealing default program access away from my 10.1 install, and when I restart 10.1 it refuses to ask to make itself default.

that and speed dial is still broken, and they broke mouse scrolling :(

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

thrawn86 posted:

the only "problems" I've been having are that the alpha keeps stealing default program access away from my 10.1 install, and when I restart 10.1 it refuses to ask to make itself default.

That's the reason I uninstalled it on my home machine.

Tikki
Aug 13, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Maybe if there's no 'maximized' state on mac that notifies the application Opera can't tell if it has to keep the space unused for dragging the window. :(

That shouldn't be the problem. Chrome does it without problems:

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I'm using this build on my laptop and I actually haven't been able to reproduce the GDI handles thing so far. It's been a couple hours of constant use and the most it's used is in the 300s. It has, however, crashed consistently on wunderground.com

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Lakitu7 posted:

I'm using this build on my laptop and I actually haven't been able to reproduce the GDI handles thing so far. It's been a couple hours of constant use and the most it's used is in the 300s.
Ditto, ive used it for hours and it would still have much less than 10.10 has with same number of tabs. I noticed that the startup count (92 for me) increases after opening and closing a ton of tabs, but only by 10. So while it seems there's a leak i couldn't get up to 9999.

Meanwhile 10.10 is roughly 890.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Maybe you're not using many tabs? I tend to be up in the 20-40ies on light usage.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Mithaldu posted:

Maybe you're not using many tabs? I tend to be up in the 20-40ies on light usage.

20-40s tabs is not light usage, you're an edge case.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Was able to get the gdi count up to 700 by opening 150 tabs and letting them load in the background, at least a dozen of them with flash videos playing, THEN enabling thumbnails in the tabbar and pulling it down.

It's still churning at 1.4 GB of ram usage in the background and 40% constant cpu use on a quadcore, but the GDI count hasn't beaten 10.10 at 4 tabs with 920 yet.

Yeah, i doubt it's the tabs alone.

And no, i don't use tabs as "soft bookmarks".

Edit: Dragging the tabs around randomly ramps the GDI count up by the hundreds though. Guess its something with the sliding animation. And "Close all" ramped the count up from 1600 (140 tabs) to 1900 (with no tabs).

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 8, 2010

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Without having more than ~4 tabs open, I've crept up to just a hair under 3000 now. On my usual desktop install I'm a bit closer to Mithaldu's tab counts though so I'd probably see it. I just wish we could get a better handle on a reproducible case.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
With 140 tabs open it's leaking 5-10 GDI objects every time I switch tabs.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Casao posted:

20-40s tabs is not light usage, you're an edge case.
Reading is hard, huh?

RoadCrewWorker, Lakitu7, Plorkyeran: Taking your stuff together it seems simply like the new implementation of the tab stuff is not properly checked for leaks. I'm still poking at haarvard to see if he's gonna say anything about that, so this might be useful in case they're clueless about this.

Tyrion
Aug 30, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

GDI stuff is still hosed.

I think this was fixed yesterday actually, should be in the next build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Tyrion posted:

I think this was fixed yesterday actually, should be in the next build.
Mind if i ask where you know this from?