Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Scikar posted:

Haven't done a Zidane roulette on the pitch yet. Out of three attempts against me though I tackled two of them successfully.

I've done them in futsal, never outdoor though. When they work it's spectacular, when they don't you look like a dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

Shrapnac posted:

I've done them in futsal, never outdoor though. When they work it's spectacular, when they don't you look like a dumbass.

Is that really considered a difficult move? I do them two or so times a game when the situation presents itself. I usually do them when I'm lunging to beat a defender to a ball. It works perfectly if you both get to the ball around the same time, you just yank it back away from him, and spin right past him. In the US thats a really really common move and almost anyone can do it. Is it not the case overseas?

Also I did one last night after I dummied the ball and was going to goal, I had the option of playing a lay off and letting someone else score, or pulling the roulette (we call them Maradonas in the US) and scoring. Of course I did the roulette, and actually missed with the bottom of my foot when I am supposed to drag the ball and turned it over. My teammate was not happy.

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn

PhillyLucky posted:

Is that really considered a difficult move? I do them two or so times a game when the situation presents itself. I usually do them when I'm lunging to beat a defender to a ball. It works perfectly if you both get to the ball around the same time, you just yank it back away from him, and spin right past him. In the US thats a really really common move and almost anyone can do it. Is it not the case overseas?

Also I did one last night after I dummied the ball and was going to goal, I had the option of playing a lay off and letting someone else score, or pulling the roulette (we call them Maradonas in the US) and scoring. Of course I did the roulette, and actually missed with the bottom of my foot when I am supposed to drag the ball and turned it over. My teammate was not happy.

:ughh:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

PhillyLucky posted:

/

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Also I'm American and nobody calls it a Maradona.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Alright, gang. So as you know, outdoor season is starting up. I have some 1st generation Predators rotting away in my closet. Has technology advanced far enough where I'd benefit from a new boot?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the posted:

Alright, gang. So as you know, outdoor season is starting up. I have some 1st generation Predators rotting away in my closet. Has technology advanced far enough where I'd benefit from a new boot?

Yeah, and if the Predators are in any kind of reasonable condition you can probably sell them on eBay and fund at least one if not two new pair of high end boots.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Shrapnac posted:

Yeah, and if the Predators are in any kind of reasonable condition you can probably sell them on eBay and fund at least one if not two new pair of high end boots.

Well, they still fit, but why would they sell? Vintage value?

Also, what do you recommend? I'm just looking for a durable firm ground boot for accuracy. Something like a Total 90?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the posted:

Also, what do you recommend? I'm just looking for a durable firm ground boot for accuracy. Something like a Total 90?

They sell because they weren't really all that common when they were released. More for collectors than people to actually wear them. The original Predators are over 15 years old at this point.

The new Nike boot the CTR360 Maestri seems like a sold boot. I don't like the Total 90s(had the original Lasers) the rubber felt too bulky but they're into the third generation now(those awful green ones).

I wore Nike Legends for a while, nothing fancy just a solid kangaroo leather boot but recently bought the new Predator Xs. I haven't played in them yet but the feel fantastic just wearing them around the house.

Your best bet and really what everyone will tell you is to go try a bunch of boots on and pick the ones that are most comfortable, regardless of brand or price point.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Adipure!

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Copa!

outcast_p
Oct 1, 2004

the posted:

Don't happen to wear a size 13us do you?

I have a pair of t90 laserII K-FG, I love them the kangaroo leather is very soft, and I get great control over the shots with them. Not the lightest boot in the world but still work great. I also have a pair of Adi pred absoultions. They are lighter, but the touch with them seems a bit off to me. I mostly use them when the ground is a bit wet.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Thanks mate, but I'm a size 10.5.

It will be sad to move on to a new pair... I wonder if they'll miss me :smith:

EDIT: Looking at a model guide online, it appears these are the 1996 Predator Touch:

quote:

The Predator Touch was released for EURO 1996 and for the first time the patented Traxion stud system was used while the names Cup and Liga remained. Also the design now chanched, it was way not as bulky as before and much more red was used, including the legendary red tongue, which should grow to the sign of the predator boot range.

Also it was the first time that there were more colourways. The boot was released in black/white/red -- red/black/white -- white/black/red.

the fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 6, 2010

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007
I got a set of ridiculous looking Mercurial Vapors for Christmas. Fuckin' love 'em.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3262/3120057913_b5afcaf960.jpg

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn

the posted:

Thanks mate, but I'm a size 10.5.

It will be sad to move on to a new pair... I wonder if they'll miss me :smith:

EDIT: Looking at a model guide online, it appears these are the 1996 Predator Touch:

Hahaha wow these are ancient. I had a pair in white when I was a kid.

edit -

also had these :swoon:

luvd_ fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 6, 2010

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

luvd posted:

Hahaha wow these are ancient. I had a pair in white when I was a kid.

edit -

also had these :swoon:

People loving love Manias. If you have Manias is playable condition you can easily get their original value on eBay.

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006
Umbro Speciali. No messing around.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Craiglen posted:

Umbro Speciali. No messing around.

Do you have the Umbro Speciali EAT MY GOAL edition though?

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/prodinfo.asp?PID=PDS-002-014-086&DEPT=&DEPTTYPE=&BRAND=&ST=1&SIZE=&MIN=&MAX=&SRH=eat%20my%20goal

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Puma King supremacy!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Scikar posted:

Puma King supremacy!

loving loved Puma Kings. Wish I never stopped wearing them.

I did have the Puma King Execs too, those were loving hot.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I live in a humid climate, but most of the ground is grass over clay a few feet beneath (North Carolina). Do I want firm ground shoes?

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
I have another two brand new backup pair in the basement.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the posted:

I live in a humid climate, but most of the ground is grass over clay a few feet beneath (North Carolina). Do I want firm ground shoes?

Yes.

The general idea I use is that if it hasn't rained heavily in a few days or the pitch I'm playing on isn't watered constantly I'm wearing firm ground boots.

I live in New Jersey so my humidity and soil is pretty similar to NC.

Buy both, warm up with one FG and one SG boot on and see which one feels the best. That's what I generally do. Obviously if you know the field is very wet it's an easy decision but I've found that a) some leagues don't allow SG studs and b) the pressure points on your feet are different so it might be uncomfortable.

Some professionals only play in FG boots because they don't like the SG studs, namely Diego Forlan who pretty much torpedoed his Manchester United career by wearing FG boots when Fergie told him to wear SG and slipping while he had a goal scoring opportunity.

tl;dr Wear what you're comfortable with, don't wear SG boots if you're not comfortable wearing them.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

calcio posted:

I have another two brand new backup pair in the basement.

Never seen the AG/field turf configuration on the Pulses, interesting(the ones on the right with the extra blades in the middle).

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Alright, looking at the Adidas Predator X Absolion. Good price.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the posted:

Alright, looking at the Adidas Predator X Absolion. Good price.

If you can afford it the top end version is your best bet in terms of construction, etc. If not the second tier isn't terrible but you might be better off buying a vanilla Puma King/Nike Air Legend/Adidas Copa Mundial/Adidas Adipure/Umbro Speciali instead which will probably be around the same price point but made out of kangaroo leather instead of whatever they're using on the Absolions these days.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

My last pair of Puma Kings were blue and I absolutely loved them, but after I did my knee I left them in the garage uncleaned and forgot about them, when I started up again in September I found out my mum had binned a pair of very, very mouldy boots about three years ago. :(

I just bought a new astro pair and I'm gonna see how they feel nowadays, but it seems they're only in black now? As I remember when I bought that last pair there were about 8 different colours to pick from.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How bad are the Adidas Predator Absolado X if they're going for $17.00?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the posted:

How bad are the Adidas Predator Absolado X if they're going for $17.00?

Real synthetic leather and generally poo poo construction. Also all of the "Predator" stuff is printed on the boot and not actually functional.

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn
Best boots I've ever had were Nike Mercurial Vapours. So nice to play in.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

luvd posted:

Best boots I've ever had were Nike Mercurial Vapours. So nice to play in.

Which ones? I had the III and IV and both gave me horrible blisters.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Shrapnac posted:

Real synthetic leather and generally poo poo construction. Also all of the "Predator" stuff is printed on the boot and not actually functional.

"Real Synthetic," heh.

Anyway, I've just been browsing around Prodirectsoccer all day. I tried on some boots at a local shop, but they don't have a huge selection (and the guys didn't know much more than I did). I tried on the Predator Absolions and the Puma v3.08. I didn't like the feel of the Pumas, but the Predators seemed to feel alright.

What do you think of these Umbro SX Valor?

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Shrapnac posted:

Which ones? I had the III and IV and both gave me horrible blisters.
Yea, I've only tried one pair of Nike's ever and they were the Mercurial Vapors. I absolutely hated them and immediately called Adidas to forgive me for cheating.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Umbro does a quality boot, can't really go wrong with them.

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn

These. Pretty old, but I loved them.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

the posted:

"Real Synthetic," heh.

Anyway, I've just been browsing around Prodirectsoccer all day. I tried on some boots at a local shop, but they don't have a huge selection (and the guys didn't know much more than I did). I tried on the Predator Absolions and the Puma v3.08. I didn't like the feel of the Pumas, but the Predators seemed to feel alright.

What do you think of these Umbro SX Valor?
You really need to try out shoes in person for yourself. I find a huge difference in fit and feel between brands and models. Once you find the shoe you love then you should start buying online. I get all my stuff from soccer.com.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

luvd posted:

These. Pretty old, but I loved them.

OG Vapors. Never wore em but they're supposed to be p good.

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn

Shrapnac posted:

OG Vapors. Never wore em but they're supposed to be p good.

Do you know if it's possible to still buy them? I lost my pair and on the odd occasion I play in boots I'm stuck with my old Predators and I much prefer the Nikes.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

luvd posted:

Do you know if it's possible to still buy them? I lost my pair and on the odd occasion I play in boots I'm stuck with my old Predators and I much prefer the Nikes.

eBay but you'll get absolutely raped on price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn

Shrapnac posted:

eBay but you'll get absolutely raped on price.

Holy poo poo you're not wrong. £170 buy it now. MIght have to have a root around when I'm home next.