Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Pissflaps posted:

Middlesbrough, Wigan or Bolton getting relegated is not the 'end of football'. A premier league club going bust, or the others in that division and the ones below that follow it is not the end of football either.

What it hopefully signals is a correction. A move away from the debt-fueled madness we have now to something more sustainable and healthy.

You can hide your head in the sand all you like, but something has got to change.

I'm sure you're quite happy with the situation at the moment. While the club you've attached yourself to is able to meet its massive debt payments and keep at the top of the game why wouldn't you be. Maybe if or when they can't you might change your mind. Or maybe you'll just find another club. Who knows.

Why does it have to change, though? Not as a principle, but physicallly.

People are still buying football clubs and throwing money at them. When that stops, they'll change the system or it'll change itself.

*buys club, builds new stadium, offers players million-pound contracts, blames Premier League for debts*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
And some people are buying clubs and plunging them millions into debt chasing the premier league 'dream', leaving them broken in the process.

It's got to change because it's unsustainable. There's only so many sugar daddies to go round, especially when they have to be sweeter every year to keep up.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Maybe the solution isnt a cap but infact a revenue sharing enterprise so when a sugar daddy comes in and boosts kit sales/tour revenue etc. like Abramovich has at Chelsea, the whole league benefits nominally. Id argue the best thing going for the premier league right now is its egalitarian TV deal, so just extend that into more areas off the pitch.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

It's the same thing as when I called out Gold & Sullivan for being cheap hypocritical bastards. They didn't have to buy that club with the debts attached or offer Ruud van Nistelrooy £3m for turning up for ten games. It's almost as if they're feeding the problem they complain about.

Portsmouth or Liverpool fans complaining about owners loving them over is different. Fans expecting a club to be run properly is fine (note that none of this applies to Newcastle fans, who are all scum). Putting rules in place to enable that is fine. What would be ridiculous is if the Glazers came out and started complaining about the debt and how players demanding to be paid a market rate was something that had to be addressed right away, before more clubs like United went out of business.

If Swindon Town borrow £100m in order to get into the Premier League, or someone comes in and shoves £50m into the club so he can be in the newspaper and on the telly and talk about how much he loves the club and how loving wonderful he is, and how they were born over the "frog & toad" and how it would just be loving terrible to live in a world where West Ham United weren't in the Premier League, and gee, they pissed all the money away, and now they're freefalling, and guess whose fault it is? Yup, it's the big mean rich clubs who forced them to do this.

There are plenty of clubs who are doing just fine in all divisions without spunking massive amounts of money up the wall. Yes, it's harder to do it that way, but que sera loving sera. But no, here comes some Johnny Big Bollocks with some money he made selling chocolate digestives out of the back of a van, and he thinks he's the new Richard loving Branson and he's going to be the chairman that takes Port Vale into Europe. And so on until the end of recorded history.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I like biscuits.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

The whole 100k RVN fiasco was just one of those 'statement of intent' things some new owners seem obliged to use. Maybe they thought we could then move the 25,000 replica kits we have sitting in a warehouse with his name on the back. Either way we didnt get him so :nyd:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

MoPZiG posted:

Maybe the solution isnt a cap but infact a revenue sharing enterprise so when a sugar daddy comes in and boosts kit sales/tour revenue etc. like Abramovich has at Chelsea, the whole league benefits nominally. Id argue the best thing going for the premier league right now is its egalitarian TV deal, so just extend that into more areas off the pitch.

The problem with this is that it hobbles our best teams when it comes to competing in Europe, which arguably devalues the league as a whole. What really needs to be done is for FIFA/UEFA to require domestic leagues work on a revenue sharing basis, so no league is punished for trying to level the playing field.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Destroy the state, nationalise football.

Send Leeds to the gulags. Or the SPL, as it's otherwise known.

Rawz
Aug 21, 2009
According to sources Pompey are thought to owe £11.5m not the previously thought £7.5m to HMRC. Either one of these 2 'possibly interested' takeovers must happen (I have no idea how likely these will be), or Balram Chainrai must solve it himself otherwise he stands to lose a lot of what he's put in already.

Liquidation is a scary thought but I don't see Chainrai willing to lose ~15-20 million quid, it's whether he can stabilise himself or convince prospective new owners to come in.

I'm no expert so I don't really know what would happen if we were in the same state next week when we would be wound up, but if it ends up as liquidation our last game would be against our south coast scum rivals, what a way to go.

But seriously, liquidation? I don't know what I would do as an 11-year Pompey supporter

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Well as people point out you'd go into administration first, which would have the effect of forcing the issue and making buying the club a hell of a lot cheaper.

Steves Asleep
Jun 5, 2005

Rawz posted:

But seriously, liquidation? I don't know what I would do as an 11-year Pompey supporter

Just choose a new club by favourite shirt colour, religious bent, or availability of televised matches. Or as a last resort the next closest one to you.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Steves Asleep posted:

Just choose a new club by favourite shirt colour, religious bent, or availability of televised matches. Or as a last resort the next closest one to you.

The one closest to you really should be the last resort as chances are this is a rival team. You might as well jump on the Man Utd bandwagon or start following Man City early and claim you were a supporter before they become huge.

Seksiness
Aug 24, 2006
I screwed your grandma and all I got was this lousy custom title... and herpes

Rawz posted:

Havant & Waterlooville.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Rawz posted:

Well, for somebody from Portsmouth, your best bet is probably to point at planes and then have a nap in the middle of Argos.

DaveJB
Jul 21, 2003

I think the only circumstance that would see Portsmouth actually ceasing to exist would be if things got to the point where they were literally unable to field a team, or got locked out of their stadium. Personally I think the league would probably turn a (mostly) blind eye even if whoever buys out Portsmouth completely defaulted on all of their debts, and the club would get off with either a points deduction or, at the worst, a double-relegation to League One.

In any case, if Portsmouth do go out of business, at least they can take solace in the fact that they actually won something during their attempt at Living The Dream. Leeds ended up with precisely dick-all from their attempt at doing the same, and Newcastle only won anything if you're being generous and counting the Intertoto Cup as a trophy.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Wasn't it Cardiff they played in that FA Cup final too? Strange to see them both in court the same day a couple of years later.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Dudley posted:

Wasn't it Cardiff they played in that FA Cup final too? Strange to see them both in court the same day a couple of years later.

That was a loving strange year.

Borogrove
Apr 12, 2008

I want to see the bell guy crying on sky news.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Barca do not want TV cash sharing deal

Reuters posted:

Barca and Real Madrid dominate in Spain in part because they each have TV contracts worth around 120 million euros ($165 million) a year, around half the total pot for the 20 clubs in the top flight.
Spain's professional league (LFP) essentially backs the introduction of collective bargaining but recognises that persuading Barca and Real to accept it would be difficult.
"I don't want to damage the interests of Barcelona Football Club, because we have to compete with teams in other countries," Laporta said in an interview with Reuters Television at his office next to the Nou Camp stadium.
"In England, we are talking about 2 billion euros for Premier League rights so we have to compete against clubs that are making more money than us," he added.

Emphasis is mine.

Barcelona and Madrid make together in TV rights what all 20 EPL clubs make in a year, and yet Laporta has the audacity to make it sound like they are underdogs financially.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I didn't realise the pot in Spain was so much smaller than in the Premier League. Isn't the Premier League abour £30m per club though? That's not €2bn, in fact it's less than €1bn. Unless I'm very wrong about the amounts.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Mickolution posted:

I didn't realise the pot in Spain was so much smaller than in the Premier League. Isn't the Premier League abour £30m per club though? That's not €2bn, in fact it's less than €1bn. Unless I'm very wrong about the amounts.

I think it was like 2bn over like 5 years or something. Also, there is no pot in Spain I dont believe.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Mickolution posted:

Think it goes from £40m for winning the league to £25m for last place.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

Think it goes from £40m for winning the league to £25m for last place.

That's the prize money, the TV money is the same for everyone isn't it? Isn't that the point of the Real/Barca thing?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Mickolution posted:

That's the prize money, the TV money is the same for everyone isn't it? Isn't that the point of the Real/Barca thing?

IIRC half of the money coming in goes toward prizes, and the other half is split equally.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

FullLeatherJacket posted:

IIRC half of the money coming in goes toward prizes, and the other half is split equally.

Right, I wasn't sure if that came from the TV money or from sponsorship and the like.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil

FullLeatherJacket posted:

This is about right but some filters down and others bits are used for the parachute payments to the relegated (over 3 years).

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Jollzwhin posted:

This is about right but some filters down and others bits are used for the parachute payments to the relegated (over 3 years).

Which in turn is filted down throughout the football league if a team getting those payments is promoted.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
The Notts County saga is over, it seems. The club's been bought for a quid and Sven has quit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/11/portsmouth-avram-grant-fa-tax

There should really be a limit to bailing a team out before you accept they've crippled themselves so terribly they deserve administration.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
What happens if they do, by some miracle, stay up?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ibroxmassive posted:

We get all this fun for another season. Or they might actually manage to be sold.

Rawz
Aug 21, 2009

ibroxmassive posted:

I would take an early parachute payment and a points deduction. Would that not seem fair rather than going in a certainly fruitless administration which would only end our club? People are obviously not going to want Portsmouth to be given any sort of help because they hate us, but I assume that if this is true and the Premier league are the only ones that can save us then all of the other clubs in the top flight would have to approve it?

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it

ibroxmassive posted:

I would imagine the parachute payment would come with a massive points deduction

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Rawz posted:

I would take an early parachute payment and a points deduction. Would that not seem fair rather than going in a certainly fruitless administration which would only end our club? People are obviously not going to want Portsmouth to be given any sort of help because they hate us, but I assume that if this is true and the Premier league are the only ones that can save us then all of the other clubs in the top flight would have to approve it?

They would, which is why I don't really see it happening. There is a lot at stake for a lot of clubs. Its not so much that people hate Portsmouth its just that really, they've already been pretty heavily bailed out (not going into administration last season for instance) that there comes a point you have to accept its time to leave it.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Didn't see any mention of a points deduction, just laughed at the idea of 19 other teams going 'sure, £11 million parachute payment' and then Portsmouth finishing in 16th on goal difference or something

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How would this payment work as well in the event Portsmouth still get relegated then promoted next season?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jose posted:

How would this payment work as well in the event Portsmouth still get relegated then promoted next season?

It doesn't matter because the world will have ended by then.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil
I think the payment is likely to take place, as has been pointed out the knock on effect for the other teams if one goes under is pretty severe - plus the nagging thought in clubs like Liverpool's minds that they might be next.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

i really don't see pompey failing to fullfil fixtures if they go into administration and i think this is the PL trying to avoid them doing it while they are on their watch. Personally i don't think they will get unanimous approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Football regulator considered by ministers

This isn't quite what I had in mind but there's no way the EPL are going to regulate themselves so it's probably the only way. I know FIFA don't like governments getting involved but this is with the same goals in mind as Platini's proposals so maybe it would succeed. I can't see the Tories being particularly keen on pushing it through if they win the election though.

• Locked thread