Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screeb
Dec 28, 2004

XHydralisk posted:

A deck randomizer for games like ThunderStone and Dominion. It can read a decklist from a file and randomize it for you!

Are you using drop-down buttons for a menu? :crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XHydralisk
Oct 8, 2003
Morph to lurker

Screeb posted:

Are you using drop-down buttons for a menu? :crossarms:

Yes, I think I should be using a menustrip instead? I'm new to .NET and didn't notice the menustrip when I was making this.

Screeb
Dec 28, 2004

XHydralisk posted:

Yes, I think I should be using a menustrip instead? I'm new to .NET and didn't notice the menustrip when I was making this.

Yeah, MenuStrip.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I've been using Gears file upload and server side crop&resize a lot recently and it's turned out quite nice, hopefully sometime soon Chromium release a working HTML5 File API so it's not tied to a few browsers and I get image preview back in the open file dialog in Ubuntu.

Click here for the full 1097x678 image.

Every page has a admin icon that accesses page specific data, the goal is overlaying the administration on the end user site to reduce duplication of effort and to concentrate the navigation on the end user. This site however is a simple example as it's structure is rather small. The icon only appears for users logged in, via OpenAuth, to the company domain.

Click here for the full 1098x682 image.

The administration is all implemented in jQuery UI dialogs and tabs. Help links redirect to Google Sites so that end-users can also update the content with notes.

Click here for the full 1097x681 image.

Uploading an image brings up a standard dialog inspired by Google, although the list of sources is limited in this example it can extend as per requirements to link to other resources. Upload progress is displayed in the dialog using the Gears API feedback.

Click here for the full 1098x681 image.

Crop&resize occurs on a 512x512 scaled version of the uploaded image so you don't have to re-download the entire source image, important with high resolution DSLR photos. jQuery changed the resize icon in recent version and doesn't work as well as it used to, as shown here,

Click here for the full 677x536 image.

Click here for the full 1096x683 image.

Resize&crop complete the browser downloads a thumbnail version and the user can do other work if available. Closing the dialog refreshes the underlying page to reflect data content updates.

Click here for the full 1097x682 image.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Stealing more poo poo from the fractal flame algorithm (log scaling and colors):

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

Avenging Dentist posted:

Stealing more poo poo from the fractal flame algorithm (log scaling and colors):

I know I've said this already, but that is awesome!

On a related note, can you think of any way to shoehorn the fractal flame colouring algorithm into the original regular polygon chaos game algorithm? I tried colouring it a simple gradient map based on how far each new point is from the previous but the results look terrible. The fractal flame scheme depends on there being multiple different functions for generating a new point and colouring it based on function used to generate it.

Do you think it might work to colour the points generated from a standard chaos game by some category, like which vertex they were drawn towards maybe?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

tripwire posted:

On a related note, can you think of any way to shoehorn the fractal flame colouring algorithm into the original regular polygon chaos game algorithm?

Instead of just working with random vertices and a fraction for interpolating between your points, use a random function. It's easy to create functions that do the same thing as the polygonal version. From Wikipedia:

quote:

The term ["chaos game"] has been generalized to refer to a method of generating the attractor, or the fixed point, of any iterated function system (IFS). Starting with any point x0, successive iterations are formed as xk+1 = fr(xk), where fr is a member of the given IFS randomly selected for each iteration.

tripwire posted:

Do you think it might work to colour the points generated from a standard chaos game by some category, like which vertex they were drawn towards maybe?

This is exactly the coloration scheme that fractal flames use. What I do (again stolen from fractal flame stuff since I haven't gotten around to adding my own weird poo poo) is take the average of the current color and the new color (based on which function I picked).

Technically, I'm not doing it 100% right yet, since the starting color is black, and it really should be "nothing", but that'll get dominated by the sheer repetitiveness of the algorithm.

RussianManiac
Dec 27, 2005

by Ozmaugh
How easily do you think you could port fractal flame algo for GPU?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

It's probably more-or-less trivially parallelizable except for contention with the output buffer (which may not be an issue anyway if you're good with lockless programming - I could probably do a grayscale version locklessly), but you can just operate on multiple buffers and merge when you're done.

I think a better question is why you are appealing to an "authority" (i.e. the SA forums) instead of edifying yourself by trying to devise a solution on your own, especially when you seem to have experience with GPGPU. Or is this just a case of "When the only buzzword you have is 'GPU', everything is a potentially parallelizable problem"?

RussianManiac
Dec 27, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's probably more-or-less trivially parallelizable except for contention with the output buffer (which may not be an issue anyway if you're good with lockless programming - I could probably do a grayscale version locklessly), but you can just operate on multiple buffers and merge when you're done.

I think a better question is why you are appealing to an "authority" (i.e. the SA forums) instead of edifying yourself by trying to devise a solution on your own, especially when you seem to have experience with GPGPU. Or is this just a case of "When the only buzzword you have is 'GPU', everything is a potentially parallelizable problem"?

No time to do it right now, but might be interesting thing to do when I have some free time.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Turns out encoding horizon levels using a radial Fourier transform lets you do self-shadowing textures extremely cheaply:

Click here for the full 789x530 image.

Well, if 5 bytes of storage per texel is cheap, but I guess you don't have to use it for everything so whatever. I'm sure someone else has invented this already. Banding's due to my laptop's lovely video card. Fixed the banding! :toot:

edit: Posted article describing it:
http://codedeposit.blogspot.com/2010/02/self-texturing-shadows-using-radial.html

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 11, 2010

midnite
May 10, 2003

It's all in the wrist

OneEightHundred posted:

Turns out encoding horizon levels using a radial Fourier transform lets you do self-shadowing textures extremely cheaply:

I always look forward to your posts - article or links-for-more-info would be awesome.

Contero
Mar 28, 2004

OneEightHundred posted:

self-shadowing textures

:hellyeah: That's awesome.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
Here's a game I'm currently working on. It's called ClapTraps, obviously the name is based off Boulderdash but I was actually inspired by my playthrough of a game called Repton.

I also have a video to go along with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_znAh5YUfY

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
The horizon level thing for self-shadowing was actually originally intended for models to overcome some limitations of PRT (i.e. PRT sucks with normalmapping) and hopefully develop a cheap way of emulating self-shadowing without being forced to use high-resolution shadowmaps. Fortunately, it works okay for that too:

Done the same way, except per-vertex. It's actually reasonably fast to calculate since you can determine the horizon level of a triangle by intersecting each edge with a plane coplanar with the vertex normal and a radial direction.

(Grayscale because my model viewer doesn't really have a way to toggle scene parameters at the moment).

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 13, 2010

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

I'm making a 3d space trading game atm, I want to make most of the assets procedural so that I don't have to worry to much about art and stuff. Here is my first pass at a planet shader / procedural cloud generation.

Things still left to do:
* Make the terrain texture procedural
* Multiple cloud layers
* Randomly generate planets based on heuristics

I'll post the results when I'm done!

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Strumpy posted:

I'm making a 3d space trading game atm, I want to make most of the assets procedural so that I don't have to worry to much about art and stuff. Here is my first pass at a planet shader / procedural cloud generation.

Things still left to do:
* Multiple cloud layers

Very cool! That's a great idea and nice work.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

DLCinferno posted:

Very cool! That's a great idea and nice work.

Thanks. I'm doing as much work as I can on the GPU but I'm still generating my initial cloud iterations on the CPU, I am working on fixing that at the moment. It seems to work pretty fast as well :D

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Strumpy posted:

Are you using Perlin or Simplex noise for the clouds?

Contero
Mar 28, 2004

Well I finally figured out how to make an approximating fourier series. I don't get why every website that tries to explain this is confusing as hell and 20 pages long. It's so goddamn simple.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

Scaevolus posted:

Are you using Perlin or Simplex noise for the clouds?

Nothing so fancy. I am generating 4 32x32 noise maps (math.random style). Scaling map 1 up to 512x512, map 2 up to 256x256 (tile by two), map 3 up to 128x128 (tile by 4), map 4 up to 64x64 (tile by 8). The upscale on the GPU with linear sampling does some minor blurring on the texture. I then perform a gaussian noise pass each texture. I then combine the textures with each texture contributing a different amount to the final image (the larger granularity contributes more then lower granularity). I then perform a tiling pass to make the clouds tileable. All this apart from generating the 32x3x noise maps is done on the GPU.

At render time I have a function that (using exp) that modifies how cloudy the clouds look.

TheSpook
Aug 21, 2007
Spooky!

Contero posted:

Fourier fitting

Do you know of any plug-and-chug software that could do something similar for surface fitting? I'm just starting to poke around Matlab, but haven't really found anything beyond simple polynomial fitting.

(Also, good job! :))

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
I decided to make my first GUI program in C++, more to get a handle on the basics of GUI programming than any utilitarian purpose. I decided to go with Qt for this, and basically all it does is take a file name, lets you paste a precomputed MD5 string, and it makes an .md5 file for it.

I've pretty much got it finished now, but I can't seem to figure out how to compile it so that all dependencies are contained within the .exe to make it portable, instead of having to drop all its dependant DLLs in the executable folder. I tried to follow this guide, but there was an error during compilation, which ended up totally loving up the Qt library, so I couldn't compile any programs at all.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Cosmopolitan fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 15, 2010

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Uintathere posted:

Here's a game I'm currently working on. It's called ClapTraps, obviously the name is based off Boulderdash but I was actually inspired by my playthrough of a game called Repton.

I also have a video to go along with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_znAh5YUfY

Ah it was you doing the Repton LPs. Looking forward to this, the 2D Repton clone has kind of disappeared as a genre unless you count stuff like Mr Robot but it seems like with iPhones it ought to come back pretty soon.

I too am doing something similar but am currently stripping out all the vestiges of wxWindows from my engine.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Anunnaki posted:

I tried to follow this guide, but there was an error during compilation, which ended up totally loving up the Qt library, so I couldn't compile any programs at all.
What error, and what are you building with?

Edit: may want to start a new thread or something instead of adding noise to this one.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 15, 2010

Contero
Mar 28, 2004

TheSpook posted:

Do you know of any plug-and-chug software that could do something similar for surface fitting? I'm just starting to poke around Matlab, but haven't really found anything beyond simple polynomial fitting.

Well something that does FFT is probably what you want, but I'm just getting into this too so I have no idea really.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

TheSpook posted:

nd interpolation is quite a bit hairier than simple 1-d fitting due to that old "curse of demensionality", so you have to be a bit smarter than merely porting what works in a single-variable case.

The canonical method I was taught seen involves radial basis functions as finite elements - the idea is the same but a specific basis is chosen that remains well-conditioned in higher dimensions, a property that the monomial basis doesn't have. In one of my classes last term, I took the Radiohead House of Cards dataset, stripped out most of the datapoints, and reinterpolated them using a thin plate spline basis, and reanimated a couple of seconds. It was fun and interesting :)

I've never played around with Fourier functions for surface fitting, though, so let us know if you discover anything useful there :)

Dijkstracula fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 16, 2010

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
Some time ago I made the following realizations:

• My lifestyle being what it is, I'm probably going to have to wind up fleeing to Mexico one of these days.
  • They speak Spanish in Mexico.
  • Spanish has a lot of goddamn words.

To speed up the vocabulary-learning process, I'm finishing up a Chrome extension that uses the Google Translate API to switch random words on all the web pages I visit into an arbitrary foreign language. The theory is that sooner or later I'll pick up their meaning from context. Doesn't take care of the whole grammar problem, but it's better than nothing.

Here it is in Death-to-America mode:

Click here for the full 1278x750 image.

French mode. Note the translation text that pops up when you mouse over a foreign word:

Click here for the full 1278x750 image.

Sensible Thursday fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 16, 2010

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

Sensible Thursday posted:

To speed up the vocabulary-learning process, I'm finishing up a Chrome extension that uses the Google Translate API to switch random words on all the web pages I visit into an arbitrary foreign language. The theory is that sooner or later I'll pick up their meaning from context.

Dude thats pretty cool! Is there any way you can connect it with a flash card program and allow the user to add a word to their flash card database from the context menu?

How much latency does the plug in add to a page load?

Have you released it yet?

e: This is sort of related and also cool https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/bnhifanepajfngkbgiekldogdnhnpcod

chips
Dec 25, 2004
Mein Führer! I can walk!

To speed up the vocabulary-learning process, I'm finishing up a Chrome extension that uses the Google Translate API to switch random words on all the web pages I visit into an arbitrary foreign language. The theory is that sooner or later I'll pick up their meaning from context. Doesn't take care of the whole grammar problem, but it's better than nothing.

This is an amazing idea - I love the idea of learning vocab in the context of your own language. Might not be so effective for grammar, but still could be useful.

I suck at school taught languages, but I might just have to try this.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

vanjalolz posted:

Dude thats pretty cool! Is there any way you can connect it with a flash card program and allow the user to add a word to their flash card database from the context menu?

How much latency does the plug in add to a page load?

Have you released it yet?

e: This is sort of related and also cool https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/bnhifanepajfngkbgiekldogdnhnpcod

I have no idea about the flash card thing; not really sure how restrictive the Chrome sandbox is when it comes to messing with files in other programs, but it might be possible to add at some point.

The page load doesn't seem to take any longer, but the words don't actually change until after about half a second. I guess this could be kind of jarring if you're already reading by then. Of course, it'll depend on how long it takes you to ping a Google translate server.

I'll probably post it online somewhere later this week. I just need to tart up the settings page.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!

Some time ago I made the following realizations:

• My lifestyle being what it is, I'm probably going to have to wind up fleeing to Mexico one of these days.
  • They speak Spanish in Mexico.
  • Spanish has a lot of goddamn words.

That's a pretty cool idea. I'm curious how well that works for you. Update on progress later yeah?

On a side note, why are you going to have to wind up fleeing to Mexico one of these days?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

You're likely to learn a few things wrong with that, mainly due to phrase structure and loss of meaning from the context, different idioms and gender. Only looking at your wiki example in French (https://wi.somethingawful.com/aa/aa27b0d1550d76e6ea36560cd66249a93c619e11.png)

"S'il vous plaît vote" -> "Votez, s'il vous plaît"
"dans 1859" -> "En 1859"
"le ... dispute" -> "la dispute ..."
"là bas" -> "là-bas"
"and environ follows the blue line" -> "and approximativement follows the blue line"

What I find problematic with your tool is that it works well a bunch of times, and then fails in some cases. There's no way to tell what is right or wrong except by already knowing the right answer. That's the problem with machine translation. Finding literal translations made by humans is really what would be the best to learn from.

Otherwise, that's a pretty nifty tool. I'm thinking I might like to use it to re-learn Spanish if I had a dictionary on hand to double-check the meanings.

TheSpook
Aug 21, 2007
Spooky!

Dijkstracula posted:

nd interpolation is quite a bit hairier than simple 1-d fitting due to that old "curse of demensionality", so you have to be a bit smarter than merely porting what works in a single-variable case.

The canonical method I was taught seen involves radial basis functions as finite elements - the idea is the same but a specific basis is chosen that remains well-conditioned in higher dimensions, a property that the monomial basis doesn't have. In one of my classes last term, I took the Radiohead House of Cards dataset, stripped out most of the datapoints, and reinterpolated them using a thin plate spline basis, and reanimated a couple of seconds. It was fun and interesting :)

I've never played around with Fourier functions for surface fitting, though, so let us know if you discover anything useful there :)

Thank you! We are going with the RBF method. Should see a "these were my experiences" post soon.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
What if that translator thing only changed nouns and simple verbs? Having it translate words like "it" and "of" is going to be useless, but translating "jumping" and "fridge" would be cool.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
For PyCon me and some friends put together a live stream of everything that's going on (twitter, flickr, github, bitbucket, upcoming talks and files)

http://pycon.djangodose.com/

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

MononcQc posted:

You're likely to learn a few things wrong with that, mainly due to phrase structure and loss of meaning from the context, different idioms and gender. Only looking at your wiki example in French (https://wi.somethingawful.com/aa/aa27b0d1550d76e6ea36560cd66249a93c619e11.png)

"S'il vous plaît vote" -> "Votez, s'il vous plaît"
"dans 1859" -> "En 1859"
"le ... dispute" -> "la dispute ..."
"là bas" -> "là-bas"
"and environ follows the blue line" -> "and approximativement follows the blue line"

What I find problematic with your tool is that it works well a bunch of times, and then fails in some cases. There's no way to tell what is right or wrong except by already knowing the right answer. That's the problem with machine translation. Finding literal translations made by humans is really what would be the best to learn from.

Otherwise, that's a pretty nifty tool. I'm thinking I might like to use it to re-learn Spanish if I had a dictionary on hand to double-check the meanings.

Yeah this will undoubtedly help with vocabulary but holy cow the grammar is going to be crazy. I believe context is required in many cases for verb conjugation, are you passing the bracketing words too for that, or is it just one word -> un mot style?

Though mind you the grammar you'd pick up from a translation API is going to be ropy anyway...

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

Strumpy posted:

[timg]

Things still left to do:
* Multiple cloud layers

ELITE was procedural, so its very inspiring to see someone take the same type of procedural content generation to the next level - now that a lot more of it is required for 3D accelerators and fancy poo poo.

Really, this is a very interesting project !

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah this will undoubtedly help with vocabulary but holy cow the grammar is going to be crazy. I believe context is required in many cases for verb conjugation, are you passing the bracketing words too for that, or is it just one word -> un mot style?
You're probably not going to be able to do anything resembling random translation beyond some superficial or elementary level because semantic categories for partial clauses vary so much across languages, although maybe it could work across Romance languages without as horrible of a problem. I can see some use in it for those that are wanting to learn to read another language though because it'll gradually ease them into reading more at a time. Also, it's likely that a lot of translated words will be a phoneticization of the original word (ala Japanese romaji).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd

king_kilr posted:

For PyCon me and some friends put together a live stream of everything that's going on (twitter, flickr, github, bitbucket, upcoming talks and files)

http://pycon.djangodose.com/

Sweet! Despite being from Atlanta and literally being 3,000 yards away from PyCon I've been slammed at work and unable to go. I've been following along when I have a free chance using this.

What are you using for the back-end on the long poll?