Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I came across this link on RAWK and thought this might be helpful when talking about wages.

http://www.futebolfinance.com/en/os-50-maiores-salarios-de-jogadores-de-futebol-20092010/

quote:

Salaries of footballers 2009/2010
# Player Club Monthly Annual
1 Ronaldo Real Madrid CF € 1,083,000 € 13,000,000
2 Zlatan Ibrahimovic FC Barcelona € 1,000,000 € 12,000,000
3 Messi FC Barcelona € 875,000 € 10,500,000
4 Samuel Eto'o Internazionale € 875,000 € 10,500,000
5 Ricardo Kaka Real Madrid CF € 833,000 € 10,000,000
6 Emmanuel Adebayor Manchester City € 708,000 € 8,500,000
7 Karim Benzema Real Madrid CF € 708,000 € 8,500,000
8 Carlos Tevez Manchester City € 666,000 € 8,000,000
9 John Terry Chelsea € 625,000 € 7,500,000
10 Frank Lampard Chelsea € 625,000 € 7,500,000
11 Thierry Henry FC Barcelona € 625,000 € 7,500,000
12 Xavi FC Barcelona € 625,000 € 7,500,000
13 Ronaldinho Milan € 625,000 € 7,500,000
14 Steven Gerrard Liverpool FC € 625,000 € 7,500,000
15 Alves FC Barcelona € 583,000 € 7,000,000
16 Michael Ballack Chelsea € 541,000 € 6,500,000
17 Raul Gonzalez Real Madrid CF € 541,000 € 6,500,000
18 Rio Ferdinand Manchester € 541,000 € 6,500,000
19 Kolo Toure Manchester City € 541,000 € 6,500,000
20 Wayne Rooney Manchester € 500,000 € 6,000,000
21 Robinho Manchester City € 500,000 € 6,000,000
22 Iker Casillas Real Madrid CF € 500,000 € 6,000,000
23 Victor Valdez FC Barcelona € 500,000 € 6,000,000
24 Frederic Kanoute Sevilla FC € 500,000 € 6,000,000
25 Deco Chelsea € 500,000 € 6,000,000
26 Didier Chelsea € 458,000 € 5,500,000
27 Gianluigi Buffon Juventus € 458,000 € 5,500,000
28 Francesco Totti Roma € 458,000 € 5,500,000
29 Toni AS Roma (loan) € 458,000 € 5,500,000
30 David Villa Valencia € 458,000 € 5,500,000
31 Arjen Robben Bayern Munich € 458,000 € 5,500,000
32 Bastian Schweinsteiger Bayern Munich € 458,000 € 5,500,000
33 Ashley Cole Chelsea € 458,000 € 5,500,000
34 Fernando Torres Liverpool FC € 458,000 € 5,500,000
35 Gareth Barry Manchester City € 458,000 € 5,500,000
36 Patrick Vieira Internazionale € 458,000 € 5,500,000
37 Charles Puyol FC Barcelona € 416,000 € 5,000,000
38 Andres Iniesta FC Barcelona € 416,000 € 5,000,000
39 Sergio Aguero Atletico Madrid € 416,000 € 5,000,000
40 Andrea Pirlo Milan € 416,000 € 5,000,000
41 Willy Sagnol Bayern Munich € 416,000 € 5,000,000
42 Ribery Bayern Munich € 416,000 € 5,000,000
43 David Bechkam Milan € 416,000 € 5,000,000
44 Wayne Bridge Manchester City € 416,000 € 5,000,000
45 Diarra Real Madrid CF € 416,000 € 5,000,000
46 Berbatov Manchester € 400,000 € 4,800,000
47 Andrei Arshavin Arsenal € 400,000 € 4,800,000
48 Nicolas Anelka Chelsea € 400,000 € 4,800,000
49 Ryan Giggs Manchester € 400,000 € 4,800,000
50 Alessandro Del Piero Juventus € 400,000 € 4,800,000

Notes:
(1) The figures are the result of research carried out in more than 30 publications worldwide that specialize in football. Of which, the major newspapers and magazines of the top leagues in the world.
(2) The figures are unofficial and approximate, and depend on new hires, or renewals of each contract.
(3) Figures refer to gross wages of the players (before tax), which of course does not include advertising contracts, gaming awards, signing bonuses, or other extra pay.
(4) There may from time to time differences with the figures, due to exchange rate in relation to players do not receive their salaries in euros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Platini will love the thought of a football regulator, because if it happens he'll then just ban England from Europe for allowing the government to interfere in footballs buisness.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Bhyo posted:

Platini will love the thought of a football regulator, because if it happens he'll then just ban England from Europe for allowing the government to interfere in footballs buisness.

Wah wah waaaaaah!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fat Turkey posted:

Wah wah waaaaaah!

I mean I could cite the precedence of them booting Greece out because their government got involved but lets not let that get in the way of a waste of space post.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

A single arsenal player at the bottom. Though i'm sure arsharvin, fab and gallas are all on the same.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

A single arsenal player at the bottom. Though i'm sure arsharvin, fab and gallas are all on the same.

ashley cole has had to close his laptop because he's shaking with rage

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

quote:

(1) The figures are the result of research carried out in more than 30 publications worldwide that specialize in football. Of which, the major newspapers and magazines of the top leagues in the world.

Well if they're quoting major newspapers it must be accurate

Distant Mist
Apr 22, 2008

TyChan posted:

41 Willy Sagnol Bayern Munich € 416,000 € 5,000,000

What? Sagnol ended his career one year ago.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puς essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

The likelihood is that those numbers aren't accurate, and even if they were there are so many bonuses and extras that mean that base numbers are fairly meaningless.

On the other hand, if Deco actually makes more than Didier Drogba, then that's literally the funniest thing I've seen since Paul Scholes whiffed at a shot and then deflected it in with his standing leg.

holybartender
Jun 27, 2004
Do you know how to make a holy bartender?
Valdez as second highest paid keeper? Yikes.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

FullLeatherJacket posted:

The likelihood is that those numbers aren't accurate, and even if they were there are so many bonuses and extras that mean that base numbers are fairly meaningless.

On the other hand, if Deco actually makes more than Didier Drogba, then that's literally the funniest thing I've seen since Paul Scholes whiffed at a shot and then deflected it in with his standing leg.

Quite liked Gareth Barry making more than Iniesta myself.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Portsmouth status: Still hosed

BBC posted:

Cash-strapped Portsmouth are understood to have asked the Premier League for permission to sell players outside the transfer window.

Good job Dindane is only a loan player, you'd have to pay people to take him otherwise

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

If people have missed it, Portsmouth are back in court on the 1st of March, which should tell us exactly how hosed they are.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Dudley posted:

If people have missed it, Portsmouth are back in court on the 1st of March, which should tell us exactly how hosed they are.

Peter Storrie's put the entire club kitty on Very at 3/1. You can get evens on Extremely, and 10/1 on Slightly.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

It looks like Notts County are royally hosed:

The Mirror posted:

Notts County's new owner may put the club into administration in the next 48 hours after unearthing financial chaos at Meadow Lane.

Former Lincoln chairman Ray Trew bought the League Two Magpies for a nominal £1 last week as Sven Goran Eriksson left.

Trew stepped in to save the club going bust over a winding up order for an unpaid £300,000 tax bill.

But Trew’s financial experts have been so appalled by the state of the books, administration may now be the only option.

The club’s debts stand at £4million but are rapidly rising as Trew’s audit discovers the extent of Munto Finance’s disastrous short-lived reign.

A criminal investigation is likely to begin soon.

And Magpies’ new executive chairman Jim Rodwell said: “It’s not what we know that worries us, it’s what we don’t know.

“The accounts are in such a state it’s difficult for anybody to be able to put a finger on the level of debt.

“Our accountants are going through the process at the moment.”

As well as their existing debts, County are now struggling to cope with a crippling wage bill.

Keeper Kasper Schmeichel, 23, earns £18,000-a-week after arriving from Premier League Man City last summer.

The club are so desperate to sell Schmeichel they have even been touting him to Russian clubs, whose transfer window is still open.

County’s new hierarchy also want to move top scorer Lee Hughes, who earns £4,500-a-week, onto Scottish club Hearts.

While even striker Karl Hawley, 28, earns £3,000-a-week plus an extra £1,000 per appearance and per goal.

Should County, managed by Dave Kevan, go into administration they would be deducted 10 points - effectively ending their promotion hopes.

£18,000 a week in League Two :aaaaa:

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil
4 million is a hideous amount of debt for a League 2 club, they are hosed.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
18k a week for a league two club, wow..

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

18k a week for a league two club, wow..

That there is 3x Ebbsfleet's monthly wage bill, and there's only one level difference.

Biggy_
Jan 17, 2006

boom boom boom let me hear you say bale BALE
What cunts Kasper and Sol Campbell are

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Biggy_ posted:

What cunts Kasper and Sol Campbell are

Yes cunts to accept a high salary offered to them...

Biggy_
Jan 17, 2006

boom boom boom let me hear you say bale BALE
Dropping 3 divisions for a payday is pretty cuntish, especially when you're only 23.

SharpyShuffle
Aug 20, 2007

he's a bit poo poo though, not to mention tiny

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Biggy_ posted:

Dropping 3 divisions for a payday is pretty cuntish, especially when you're only 23.

He was probably on something not much less at City. And yes, he's a bit poo poo.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puς essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Jollzwhin posted:

Yes cunts to accept a high salary offered to them...

To be honest, I'd probably offer a mutual termination at this point and leave on a free. They were perfectly fine to accept it at the time, but since it's clear County were basically defrauded, sitting around draining them dry is pretty lovely, particularly when your dad's a millionaire and you could get a decent salary at any number of clubs.

It's not the same as Winston Bogarde, it was hardly a matter of the club surviving or not, and he was entitled to claim the money the board offered him, whether they got a new manager or not.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Can't blame Schmeichel. As others have said, he's not all that good and how many promising youngsters have we seen drop out of the game entirely or just go to the lower leagues. Why not either make as much as he can before either of these happened? Also, I assume he, like everyone else thought they had loads of money when he signed, so what's the harm in that?

I don't know what the average wage is down the leagues for a goalkeeper, but that contract is almost £1m a year and if things had gone as everyone thought, that could have set him up for life if he dropped out completely. Same goes for Sol really, though at the other end of his career. Why not take a payday off what he thought was a very wealthy club?

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10

Mickolution posted:

Can't blame Schmeichel. As others have said, he's not all that good and how many promising youngsters have we seen drop out of the game entirely or just go to the lower leagues. Why not either make as much as he can before either of these happened? Also, I assume he, like everyone else thought they had loads of money when he signed, so what's the harm in that?

That's the twist, when he signed that contact he was told the club was blinged out and he'd be there for years, helping them climb the ladder.

Now the ownership's gone he may be helping push the club into administration, but no one in that situation is going to turn down 18k a week and go for a mutual termination for morality reasons, when the alternative is a prolonged bout of unemployment followed by a hugely slashed wage to re-sign at about the same level and probably not get first team football.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bacon of the Sea posted:

Now the ownership's gone he may be helping push the club into administration, but no one in that situation is going to turn down 18k a week and go for a mutual termination for morality reasons, when the alternative is a prolonged bout of unemployment followed by a hugely slashed wage to re-sign at about the same level and probably not get first team football.

Absolutely. Campbell was in a different situation, as he is already very wealthy, so he was able to walk away.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

He's not a part-time brickie from the Unibond League who has lucked into a million-pound contract. It's not a binary between him being good enough to start as an EPL keeper, and being a fat poo poo clogger from Barnsley. He certainly looked passable for City. Not the starter that people were talking about him being, but good enough to play at that level and not embarrass himself. There's no reason he can't go back to Denmark and make £3,000-£4,000 a week, at least.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

FullLeatherJacket posted:

He's not a part-time brickie from the Unibond League who has lucked into a million-pound contract. It's not a binary between him being good enough to start as an EPL keeper, and being a fat poo poo clogger from Barnsley. He certainly looked passable for City. Not the starter that people were talking about him being, but good enough to play at that level and not embarrass himself. There's no reason he can't go back to Denmark and make £3,000-£4,000 a week, at least.

Of course, but as I said above, the future can be very uncertain for average players and while I'm sure he could be fine, there's no harm in him trying to make as much now as he can, in case it doesn't work out for him in the long run.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
To put it into perspective, his basic wage is more than most Championship players and more than any Burnley player.

I don't blame him for taking it but it shows just how hilariously inept the old Notts County board were.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Meat Wagon posted:

To put it into perspective, his basic wage is more than most Championship players and more than any Burnley player.

I don't blame him for taking it but it shows just how hilariously inept the old Notts County board were.

Agreed.

Kasper should probably enter into talks with the club now that they are broke, but saying he is morally oblidged to mutually terminate is silly. If he offers to cut his wage in half or down to 5k a week that is enough in my mind. Keep in mind he would be doing this out of the goodness of his heart.

Its even funnier that he is getting paid so much considering they probably could have gotten him on loan for next to nothing.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Jollzwhin posted:

4 million is a hideous amount of debt for a League 2 club, they are hosed.

And that's 4 million and "Rising rapidly".

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
While it's good that he saved the team, the fact that this guy bought the club and then found out about the state of its books afterwards says a lot about how many clubs have ended up the way they are.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

peanut- posted:

While it's good that he saved the team, the fact that this guy bought the club and then found out about the state of its books afterwards says a lot about how many clubs have ended up the way they are.

Probably not his fault, read an article about newcastle and apparently there was £75m of debt hidden away that no one other than the old owners knew was there.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

peanut- posted:

Agreed, same thing seems to keep happening at Hull, Pompey and now Notts County.

I would have hired Warren Buffet and The Queen herself to go over Pompey's books before I invested a penny in that train wreck.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

Probably not his fault, read an article about newcastle and apparently there was £75m of debt hidden away that no one other than the old owners knew was there.

Well yes but the whole reason you do due diligence is to find that out before you hand over the money. Assuming the debt you're referring to wasn't there illegally then "hidden" just means "Mike Ashley didn't bring in expensive enough accountants".

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Portsmouth fans forum on 5 live in 10 minutes, which might make interesting listening given today's news that Pompey are completely hosed. After all they know there is no chance in hell of them being able to transfer any players, which kind of hints at what the HMRC was saying in that they are trading while insolvent and therefore can't enter administration as there is no hope to save them / make them a viable business.

Badgerman
Jul 20, 2004
Yus?
I'm interested in how we expect to gather £60m from selling Belhadj, Wilson and Boateng. There's not £10m there.

Hmmm, football is poo poo again.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Badgerman posted:

I'm interested in how we expect to gather £60m from selling Belhadj, Wilson and Boateng. There's not £10m there.

Hmmm, football is poo poo again.

Man City?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badgerman
Jul 20, 2004
Yus?
It's pretty sad that the most viable option for our survival rests in another club purchasing us so as to pip another club to 4th in the league.

We should have gone into administration a while back really. Now our only hope is to just sell anything not nailed down, at which point we can't field a squad and it's game over anyway.

It's going to be bizarre if we do go out of business. Not having a club to follow after the circus that has been Portsmouth all of these years is going to be hard to adjust to. I might just follow Newcastle to try and mimic the experience.

• Locked thread