Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

3 touches is great for training. It doesn't just teach you to keep the ball moving as a team, it teaches you to be efficient with it as an individual. If you take four touches between receiving a pass and moving in the direction you want to, that's a whole lot of time where someone can close you down and you haven't had a chance to look up to pick a pass yet. If you can comfortably control the ball and move it where you want it all in one move, you've got all the time you need now to look up and pick someone to pass it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Playing tonight, feeling kinda nervous. :ohdear:

e: I will probably actually just be a sub for our 11 a side match but I might offer my services to our 5 a side team too since they're playing before the 11's.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Yeah, there's no touch limit, nor is there that silly rule that a girl has to touch the ball before a goal can be scored.

Hieronymus Bosch
Feb 26, 2008
Has anyone messed with the new World Cup ball?

I just bought the 2006 one in a firesale ($30) and it's such an amazing ball. I'm wondering if there's any drastic difference in the new one like the TGII.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Scikar posted:

3 touches is great for training. It doesn't just teach you to keep the ball moving as a team, it teaches you to be efficient with it as an individual. If you take four touches between receiving a pass and moving in the direction you want to, that's a whole lot of time where someone can close you down and you haven't had a chance to look up to pick a pass yet. If you can comfortably control the ball and move it where you want it all in one move, you've got all the time you need now to look up and pick someone to pass it to.

That's exactly why we play, to stay in good form for our outdoor 11-a-side league. The outdoor season after our first indoor season saw us go from last place to second in our division.

Our indoor league doesn't use the "girl touches before a goal" rule, although girl goals are worth 2, which is probably the norm.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hieronymus Bosch posted:

Has anyone messed with the new World Cup ball?

I just bought the 2006 one in a firesale ($30) and it's such an amazing ball. I'm wondering if there's any drastic difference in the new one like the TGII.

Hated the Teamgeist I. It was way too slippery when it got wet. The TGII wasn't as bad because it was textured. Haven't played with the new ball yet.

I'm a Nike ball man through and through.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

We lost again, pretty disheartening. We have so many players who don't turn up every week and it's frustrating. In a way it's good for me because I'm a sub more often than not, I played the full 60 tonight and actually thought I had a good match. I was up front which really isn't my preferred position, but I've been playing there a bit recently and I think I'm improving (dunno what the manager thinks though).

Played a few people in with 1-2's, and was through on goal at one point thanks to a ball over the top, but I could only put it over the bar. As it was dropping down I was kinda in two minds about whether to take it down, control and shoot, or just put my foot through it (shoulda done this really), tried to do something in the middle and just hosed it up. :sigh:

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010
I haven't played in a bit, although my University is having a "World Cup" where if you can get one person from any one of the countries that is in the world cup you can play. Need to have 4 girls on the team, 9 a side. Weird rules, but it should be interesting come march.

In high school I played midfield, and even though I am, and was, fat and out of shape, I was good at getting by defenders and keeping the ball rolling upfield.

Highlight of my glorious career was pulling something like Casillas here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-2yp8XZFD8

Only problem was it was my lovely backpass that created the opportunity in the first place.

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....
So after 3 months of not playing, one of those months being recovery time from a buggered ankle, I go and do this in my second game.

I'm thinking it's time to retire :(

outcast_p
Oct 1, 2004

I came across a local Futsal league. They also do pickup games on fridays and sunday nights. I was out there last night for two and a half hours. Had a great time. It was the first time I have ever played any futsal in an organized game.

I liked the way they keept the game going. 15mins or 2 goals. Loser walks and the winning team stays on. goalies stayed in net. I did learn that my ball skills are pretty bad, but this helps with learning good passing and 1v1 skills.

Going to be going to some more of the pickup nights, should help my game out. Atleast until it gets warm out and I can go to the park.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
My futsal team has made the finals for the first time ever, only nine seasons and four years after our first game!

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

everyone posted:

:words: re boots

Grasscats, motherfuckers.

Anyone else hate on the bastard teams that will stack their lower league teams with upper division players? I play in the hangover (sunday) league down Geelong way and we always get reamed when teams sneak in some players from the Melbourne leagues. Go back to your division that's 90 levels above mine, you've played enough soccer this weekend you arsehole

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Shrapnac posted:

Hated the Teamgeist I. It was way too slippery when it got wet. The TGII wasn't as bad because it was textured. Haven't played with the new ball yet.

I'm a Nike ball man through and through.

i prefer nike balls but adidas bals are so loving light that when you give em a good wallop they just loving go like laser beams. i love it.

also, this thread makes me mad that my only soccer playing is a 2x a week casual indoor thing. it's fun, but not very competitive...

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Got the ball right in the nuts yesterday while playing indoor with the team. :(

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn

irlZaphod posted:

Got the ball right in the nuts yesterday while playing indoor with the team. :(

wrong thread

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Yesterday a shot took a double deflection, from one guy's nuts into mine. Still hurt.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

keveh posted:

So after 3 months of not playing, one of those months being recovery time from a buggered ankle, I go and do this in my second game.

I'm thinking it's time to retire :(

Not going to lie. For a second I thought that was a woman's foot for a second.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

luvd posted:

wrong thread
I'm not sure if you're telling me it's the wrong thread, or if you got the wrong thread and edited your post. All I know is I posted in the right thread.

Scikar posted:

Yesterday a shot took a double deflection, from one guy's nuts into mine. Still hurt.
Ouch. :( That's kinda what happened with me, there were 3 or 4 of us challenging for the ball, I think one guy got to it, and it deflected up into my nuts. It all kinda happened fast and because there were a couple of bodies involved it's hard to know exactly what happened.

vvv Hurrrr well maybe you should stop posting PWM stuff outside of PWM ok?

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 14, 2010

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn

irlZaphod posted:

I'm not sure if you're telling me it's the wrong thread, or if you got the wrong thread and edited your post. All I know is I posted in the right thread.

Was making the joke that your post could be read entirely out of context and suit PWM more.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
I got blasted twice in the kidneys two weeks ago, and after the game I looked at my side and literally had the impression of the ball, lines and all.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
One of my mates copped one in the nuts so hard at futsal once that he lay there whimpering on the ground and wouldn't let anyone touch him for about 10 minutes. He said he could taste blood in his mouth. BLOOD.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

anyone play recreational soccer or futsal in Los Angeles? I'm going to be working there this summer and want to know what the leagues are like

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Mr Gentleman posted:

anyone play recreational soccer or futsal in Los Angeles? I'm going to be working there this summer and want to know what the leagues are like

Here you go.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_United_F.C.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

Tongues posted:

Grasscats, motherfuckers.

Anyone else hate on the bastard teams that will stack their lower league teams with upper division players? I play in the hangover (sunday) league down Geelong way and we always get reamed when teams sneak in some players from the Melbourne leagues. Go back to your division that's 90 levels above mine, you've played enough soccer this weekend you arsehole

Australian futsal represent!

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
Today my university's mens club soccer team gets to scrimmage the official girls team. I am president of the club and play goalie for them so that should be pretty fun. Last semester I had class during the scrimmages but apparently they make us play with 7-8 people and still lose pretty handily

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Match tonight again, second last one of the season (I think). On the one hand I hope we get a turnout that gives us a strong side. On the other hand, that probably would mean I'm not playing.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Got two matches tonight, first is a practice match and the second is against a fairly decent team. Although that is all relative as compared to my bunch most teams are fairly decent.

Just planning on trotting up and down the left wing for the first match to warm up for the second.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
We've got out first ever final tonight :ohdear:

The team we're playing we beat in the last round missing our two best players, so we're a huge show, I'm just worried about our keeper's nerves.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Didn't play, froze my arse off shouting at the team, we lost 2-0. :sigh:

Biggy_
Jan 17, 2006

boom boom boom let me hear you say bale BALE
Does everyones indoor/futsal teams have a playoff for the top 4 or 6 or whatever teams to win the league? I know the australian teams would, since we do. Just wondering about England/USA etc

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Biggy_ posted:

Does everyones indoor/futsal teams have a playoff for the top 4 or 6 or whatever teams to win the league? I know the australian teams would, since we do. Just wondering about England/USA etc

I play in an Australian casual league, I suspect that it's really just down to the whim of the organizers. Some years we've had top four playoffs, some years when there's been lots of teams we've had top four going into an "A" final play off, teams five through eight going into a "B" final play off and then a wooden spoon play off.

Its really in noones interest to not have at least some finals, they're a business who need teams to play to make money and most of the teams are made up of people using it for fitness.

Biggy_
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah I like it, this season our Saturday league is pretty interesting: http://sportdata.com.au/sdp/Sportdata.dll/leagueReport?CID=333213&SportNo=907099&LeagueNo=1001535

We're Brisbane Ozspurs, beaten first and 3rd place, got flogged by fourth (although we had 2 of our best players out). Should be an interesting finals (I kinda wanna come 2nd so we can play 3rd cause 4th is a better team).

Also Grand final tonight for our wednesday league, Brisbane Ozspurs again, although it's only the 5th-8th finals, its a pretty hard/big div.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Biggy_ posted:

Yeah I like it, this season our Saturday league is pretty interesting: http://sportdata.com.au/sdp/Sportdata.dll/leagueReport?CID=333213&SportNo=907099&LeagueNo=1001535

We're Brisbane Ozspurs, beaten first and 3rd place, got flogged by fourth (although we had 2 of our best players out). Should be an interesting finals (I kinda wanna come 2nd so we can play 3rd cause 4th is a better team).

Also Grand final tonight for our wednesday league, Brisbane Ozspurs again, although it's only the 5th-8th finals, its a pretty hard/big div.
Having finals is awesome, but having the 5th-8th finals is kinda lame I reckon. So is bonus points, how do you even get those?

This is my league before the start of finals tonight: http://futsalarena.com.au/cms/attachments/052_D-League_Futsal_Stats.pdf

We're Robot House, we won our first four games and then picked up eight points in our last eight (including a run of one win in five games), but our start gave us enough of a platform to finish third. We're the only team to have beaten Discovery Channel, in the first round of the season. We play a convoluted finals system and actually play fourth tonight in a bid to play the loser of 1v2, the winner of which goes straight into the grand final.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Outdoor season starts in ten days. Men's Open C-League. I am still running on my 1996 Adidas Predators, not having decided on a new boot. I'll see how they hold up the first game.

drat, it's going to be cold as well. :(

Biggy_
Jan 17, 2006

Shmoses: the bonus points are given if you score a certain amount of goals (eg 1 bonus point for every 5 goals you score), a little poo poo but something everywhere here seems to do.

Also with the 5th-8th it gives us something to play for since the top 3 teams are really awesome and hardly lose, and its a pretty big div.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

Biggy_ posted:

I play in the GRFL (Deakin Ducks will crush you!), which is is an outdoor league with I think 8 teams in each division. We came 5th last year, and while I'm fairly sure there was no play offs/round robbin type thing every team bar the bottom two were still mathematically a chance to top the ladder during the last couple of weeks.
While never a truly dangerous team, we bombed out dramatically at the pointy end of the season and only avoided relegation via some worse nose-diving by lower teams.

Was by far the drunkest team at the league presentation night tho :colbert:

Biggy_
Jan 17, 2006

Tongues posted:

Was by far the drunkest team at the league presentation night tho :colbert:

most important thing by far

Cragz
Jun 16, 2005
Too orangey for crows!
I'm a bit late to the party here, but I captain a 5-a-side team in the Leeds Wednesday Night Goals league. Division 7, to be precise. We're one-time worst team in England status, but recently we've been relegated to simply "really poo poo" after a couple of lucky wins.

In the summer of last year, being the worst team in football, I fired off an email to FHM to see if they wanted to get a chance to play against some true legends of the game. To our surprise, they did, and thus London saw the clash of the titans known as:

Lemon Party FC vs FHM

Since then we've put a few kick-about sessions on a weekend to good use and managed to sneak some results. Currently sitting 5th out of 8 in the league and with an end-of-season run whereby we might take a few points this could be the first ever season in which we don't finish bottom of the bottom division. Christ!

I'm secretly hoping to perform some kind of miraculous Cool Runnings style team reformation and haul us up a few divisions, but these things don't happen overnight. If anyone has any tips for getting the most out of players with no fitness, agility, reflexes, timing or foresight I'm all ears!

We've got an inane Twitter page of interest to absolutely nobody but existing players and their girlfriends, but of course once we're world-beating you could say you saw it first.

Up the Lemons!

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...
Rolled my ankle on sunday and guess I damaged some ligaments, still swollen now.

So, play next Sunday, good idea or brilliant idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Humuhumu posted:

Rolled my ankle on sunday and guess I damaged some ligaments, still swollen now.

So, play next Sunday, good idea or brilliant idea?

Once you get moving around and it swells up again and stabilizes you'll be fine.

I'm being serious. I played with an ankle three times the normal size without pain once I let the fluid stabilize everything.

Of course I dislocated my knee the same match in a totally innocuous situation landing after jumping to block a shot.