Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Epic boot fail...

Bought a pair of custom miadidas Predator Xs. They're a half size too big. The potential resale on them is nil as well since they're different sizes(my left foot is half a size bigger than right).

I'm going to order another pair and wear these for training I guess. Not 100% happy with the colorway I designed anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Humuhumu posted:

Rolled my ankle on sunday and guess I damaged some ligaments, still swollen now.

So, play next Sunday, good idea or brilliant idea?

This happened to me. Rolled over my ankle, thought it was just a little thing and then it turned it I had broken a little bone inside my foot and I couldn't play for well over two months. Annoying as hell and still haven't healed properly after 3 years, so you should take it easy for a while to be safe.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Cragz posted:

Up the Lemons!
Oh hey do you play against a gay team or any gay teams (that you know of) in Leeds?

Cragz
Jun 16, 2005
Too orangey for crows!

irlZaphod posted:

Oh hey do you play against a gay team or any gay teams (that you know of) in Leeds?
Assuming that's a genuine question: No, not that I know of.

Assuming it isn't, it surprised me just how few people (given the 18-30 age demographic generally attracted to 5-a-side football) have any idea that the name has another, fruitier meaning. That's sadly meant the shock-and-awe tactic has had no effect whatsoever.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

when people say five a side do they mean futsal?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Cragz posted:

Assuming that's a genuine question: No, not that I know of.

Assuming it isn't, it surprised me just how few people (given the 18-30 age demographic generally attracted to 5-a-side football) have any idea that the name has another, fruitier meaning. That's sadly meant the shock-and-awe tactic has had no effect whatsoever.
It was a genuine question, I'm going to Leeds next month for a gay 5 a side tournament organised by a local team. :)

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

irlZaphod posted:

It was a genuine question, I'm going to Leeds next month for a gay 5 a side tournament organised by a local team. :)
FABULOUS. We need pictures of your gay tournament.

Russ
Dec 17, 2005

Chimping around, kick my brains round the floor
These are the days - it never rains but it pours
I've heard of Dirty Leeds, but this is ridiculous...!!!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

calcio posted:

FABULOUS. We need pictures of your gay tournament.
Um no that's ok.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

hughsieblingwish posted:

when people say five a side do they mean futsal?

I can only speak for myself, but in my case no. On sundays I play in a futsal league, which has proper touchlines with kick-ins, allows players to enter the goalkeeper's area and has no limits on how high you can play the ball. It should be played with a size 4 ball as well but for some reason we use a normal one.

On Fridays I play English 5-a-side, which has solid walls so the ball is always in play, and players aren't allowed in the D (while the goalkeeper isn't allowed out either). Again it does differ slightly from the normal rules though since it has slightly enlarged futsal goals instead of the 3 ft high but relatively wide ones that you normally see in 5-a-side.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

That's what i thought, 5 a side like that is more common in England whereas Futsal is more popular in Spain and South America right?

What's the attraction of 5 a side? I kinda feel like Futsal is a much closer representation of football. I imagine that 5 a side has a lot of smashing the ball into the wall and hoping for a kind rebound?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Here 5 a side can either have walls or none, there's no distinction.

There's also no rules about not being allowed in the D.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Depends what kind of walls they are actually. Where I play they're thick wooden boards rather than concrete, and the ball doesn't rebound off them too well so if you try to 1-2 with the wall around a defender the return pass normally just goes straight to him. Stuck in the corner it's a common move rather than crossing though. Since the ball is only ever out of play when someone scores it's a lot more physically rather than technically demanding than futsal which is really just an expression of the traditional English style of football.

In a bizarre twist actually my 11s team trains on a futsal pitch with the short 5-a-side goals so I don't really play either futsal or 5-a-side to the complete rules. The 5-a-side I do play is a massive drain on stamina though, as well as the walls it's also smaller so it's a very tight game, and without the low wide goals to promote placing shots and being unable to enter the D the best shooting strategy is to get as much power as possible whenever you have a clear sight of goal.

The main pull besides the Englishness of it is that without touchlines it's a lot more straightforward to referee so tournaments are easier to set up. I do prefer the futsal though.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Shmoses posted:

Having finals is awesome, but having the 5th-8th finals is kinda lame I reckon. So is bonus points, how do you even get those?

This is my league before the start of finals tonight: http://futsalarena.com.au/cms/attachments/052_D-League_Futsal_Stats.pdf

We're Robot House, we won our first four games and then picked up eight points in our last eight (including a run of one win in five games), but our start gave us enough of a platform to finish third. We're the only team to have beaten Discovery Channel, in the first round of the season. We play a convoluted finals system and actually play fourth tonight in a bid to play the loser of 1v2, the winner of which goes straight into the grand final.
We lost, btw :(

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

For reference, this is what the fives pitches look like:

And this is our league. We're Links Lions. Yes we have 10 points and 177 goals conceded from 12 games. :(

In fairness we've played no more than 4 games with a proper keeper, at least two of those games we only had 4 players and for a few more we had 5 unfit players with nobody to substitute with, plus we've been playing against the teams in the top half rather than the bottom half. But we still suck.

Scikar fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 19, 2010

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Outdoor starts in 8 days.

I have a feeling I'll be played in as center defender, a position I'm fine with.

I have a problem, though: I never learned how to slide tackle.

I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to get myself sent off the first time I attempt it in the game and end up dislocating the opposing player's knee.

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn

the posted:

I have a feeling I'll be played in as center defender, a position I'm fine with.

the posted:

:ughh:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Yeah I know. We'll see what happens next Saturday. I figure I either botch it and injure myself, botch it and injure the other guy, or execute it perfectly due to an innate footballing skill.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Scikar posted:

We're Links Lions. Yes we have 10 points and 177 goals conceded from 12 games. :(

In fairness we've played no more than 4 games with a proper keeper, at least two of those games we only had 4 players and for a few more we had 5 unfit players with nobody to substitute with, plus we've been playing against the teams in the top half rather than the bottom half. But we still suck.
How the gently caress does a team score 304 goals in 12 games :psyduck:

that's an average of like 27 goals per game

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
ah yeah. me and my mates have started a bowling team with a view to eventually play football. We're called the Little Lebowski Urban Achievers.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

the posted:

Outdoor starts in 8 days.

I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to get myself sent off the first time I attempt it in the game and end up dislocating the opposing player's knee.

Slide tackling is a last resort anyway, your main priorities should be positioning and marking. It's generally better to stay on your feet and mark/block the opponent from any easy passes and to move him away from danger areas. Only advice I can give for slide tackles is to try and get a good read of the footspeed of the other player so he can't flick it past you as you go to slide, and to try and time it for *just* after they've touched the ball. I.e. so they aren't in control of the ball as you move. It depends on your agility.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I've played defense mostly for my soccer career, so I've got everything else mastered. It was just never taught by my coach during my younger years, and I've played indoor for the past 5 years or so where tackling isn't allowed.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Your two biggest jobs are to prevent any cross or long ball bouncing in the danger area, and preventing the forward you're marking from turning towards the goal whenever he receives it to feet. If you do both of those well you will rarely have any need to slide tackle.

When you do need to, just remember you can only slide straight for the ball when he doesn't have it under control. If he's running onto a through ball and you can poke it out before he gets there by sliding, then do so. If he's got it under close control as he's running the best you can do is basically trap the ball with your shin so he goes over the top of it. If he's close enough to roll it under his foot and you go straight for the ball he'll just roll it away from you and draw the foul.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

the posted:

Yeah I know. We'll see what happens next Saturday. I figure I either botch it and injure myself, botch it and injure the other guy, or execute it perfectly due to an innate footballing skill.

Then dont bother slide tackling. If you think you will hurt yourself or someone else for some garbage league its not worth it. In the 5's league I play in your not even allowed too, and generally if someone does it anyway the other team viciously fouls them the rest of the game.

There is nothing worse then playing in some Adult league, and having other men out there acting like they are playing in the Prem. We all have to wake up and go to work tomorrow, so dont risk either of our bodies for the sake of you practing a slide tackle.

I'm not saying you cant play hard and enjoy yourself, but taking a real risk of hurting me for the sake of prevent a goal in an adult league is irresponsible, and usually ends in me taking really hard fouls on you the rest of the match.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Wait, I'm not playing in the Premiere League? :smith:

I'm generally a very physical player anyway, probably too much for an Adult C-League 11 a side.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

the posted:

Wait, I'm not playing in the Premiere League? :smith:

I'm generally a very physical player anyway, probably too much for an Adult C-League 11 a side.

Theres nothing wrong with being physical, because generally if your playing soccer and not trying to be a thug nothing you will do is going to be very dangerous. Once you start leaving your feet awkwardly things become much more dangerous for everyone involved.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Honestly my biggest concern is leaving half of the skin on the underside of my thigh on the ground. The fields aren't too good here.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I don't think anyone's really bothered about getting some bruises and scrapes from a physical game. You shouldn't have to risk torn ligaments and broken bones in amateur football though.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

I come back with scratches and bruises all over my legs and especially knees after playing, you get used to it. For me it's the price to pay for playing a high intensity and physically tough (and fun!) game of football.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

euroboy posted:

I come back with scratches and bruises all over my legs and especially knees after playing, you get used to it. For me it's the price to pay for playing a high intensity and physically tough (and fun!) game of football.

Gotta admit, it's pretty satisfying

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

We had our meetings in a room with a bar and Brian Clough said to me "Millsy, get the beers in and get yourself a Guinness". I told him I didn't drink. He said "Get yourself a fucking Guinness" so I did. I drank it, pulled a face and then he named me in the team. I never said no again.
Did used to play every Monday evening for a five a side team at the Astrodome thingy in Trafford, Manchester but the competitors were all either really good or really Chavvy - sometimes both.

Any Manchester based goons need a decent defensive minded player for five a side action? Would love to get playing again.

Cragz
Jun 16, 2005
Too orangey for crows!

Shmoses posted:

How the gently caress does a team score 304 goals in 12 games :psyduck:

that's an average of like 27 goals per game
That is particularly excessive. Even at our worst we were only losing by around 20 goals per game.

If you're playing with 4 players though it's borderline impossible to beat a similarly skilled full side. Zonal marking absolutely doesn't work in 5-a-side (you can't give anyone a half-second on the ball because you can score from almost anywhere) and a team with a man up can run you ragged. Unlucky Links Lions, the Lemons feel your pain.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Those top guys beat us 46-2, though we had only 4 players and two of them were goalkeepers. I wasn't actually there so I can't vouch for how skillful they are, but if we're hovering near the bottom and still beat the bottom team by 20 goals it's easy to see how a decent team can score a lot. It's a full hour on a pitch where the ball never goes out of play and they're also a bit smaller than a normal futsal pitch, while the goals are slightly larger. With the ball in defence the better teams can scored from just a one two followe by blasting it at the goal. Then man mark everyone so they can't play it back out.

The proper futsal I play on Sundays with a fairly similar team hasn't seen a match with more than seven goals so that's a bit more sensible.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

Scikar posted:

Those top guys beat us 46-2, though we had only 4 players and two of them were goalkeepers. I wasn't actually there so I can't vouch for how skillful they are, but if we're hovering near the bottom and still beat the bottom team by 20 goals it's easy to see how a decent team can score a lot. It's a full hour on a pitch where the ball never goes out of play and they're also a bit smaller than a normal futsal pitch, while the goals are slightly larger. With the ball in defence the better teams can scored from just a one two followe by blasting it at the goal. Then man mark everyone so they can't play it back out.

The proper futsal I play on Sundays with a fairly similar team hasn't seen a match with more than seven goals so that's a bit more sensible.

If someone was still trying to run the score up on me when they were winning by 30 it would probably end in me getting a red card. I couldnt imagine trying to run the score up like that in my league, if I did I'm pretty sure somebody would get hurt. Do the people getting beat like that get offended or is can we just chalk that up to a cultural difference?

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

PhillyLucky posted:

If someone was still trying to run the score up on me when they were winning by 30 it would probably end in me getting a red card. I couldnt imagine trying to run the score up like that in my league, if I did I'm pretty sure somebody would get hurt. Do the people getting beat like that get offended or is can we just chalk that up to a cultural difference?
Haha yeah, same here. I've been on both sides of that, and if a team was racking up 40+ goals on us I would just be wrecking dudes' poo poo left right and centre. We never beat a team by more than about five goals cause we all feel bad and remember when we've been dominated and go easy.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

PhillyLucky posted:

There are no refs in that league. Everyone playing knows it's just a casual league and we haven't had any problems at all. That team actually were a bunch of dicks to be honest, the rule is that if a team only has 4 players the other team either lends them a player or only has 4 on the pitch themselves. They did neither, because there's some kind of prize for the best team out of all 5 leagues that they're aiming for. We just emailed the organizers after the match to tell them though so if they do win the prize on goal difference I think it will get taken off them.

At least in our case, we generally just accept that some of those teams are better than us and are going to score a lot of goals. If we can figure out a way of shutting them out over the course of the match then we've got something to use against the next strong team. If they go easy then we learn nothing.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Had an outdoor game yesterday against what have to be the friendliest side in our division. At one point as left back I pushed their better forward out wide and forced him to take a shot/cross that went out behind the goal, and he turned to me and just gushed with praise, "Oh, man, that was GREAT defending, good work, I never had a chance! Way to go!" Took me completely by surprise, I'm so used to people just bitching all the time I was speechless. When we won 3-2 (thanks to a girl goal) I almost felt bad for them. (Almost.)

They were a decent match for us for a while but they had no midfield to speak of, so once we figured that out we just maintained possession and kept pounding the goal until another one went in (our first was off a freekick right at the top of the box). Story of our life, though, we must've had close to a couple dozen shots on goal but only one went in. :/

Plus there was a stupid drainage ditch around three sides of the pitch, and nearly every time the ball went out it ended up in the water, so we'd have to go fetch the "hook" (a long piece of pvc pipe) and fish it out. I tried to stop it once early on and ended up waist-deep in it. Kept me cool for the game, I suppose, but I smelled like poo poo all day.

herman391
Aug 25, 2009
NECKBEARDS EVERYWHERE HULK SMASH CONTROLLER GAEM TOO HARD
Played up until second year of highschool when the combination of my screwed up knee and a coach that played favorites caused me to give it up. Now I just kick the ball around a field with a couple friends or play a pick-up game when we get enough people.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

We have our last match of the season tonight. Kinda looking forward to a bit of a break, although we do have other stuff coming up like the Yorkshire 5 a side Tournament. We're planning on doing some tours to cities around Ireland too over the next few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

irlZaphod posted:

We have our last match of the season tonight. Kinda looking forward to a bit of a break, although we do have other stuff coming up like the Yorkshire 5 a side Tournament. We're planning on doing some tours to cities around Ireland too over the next few months.

Do Cork please :allears: