Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

If I want to trigger video clips with a USB MIDI controller, what would be the best program to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

moron posted:

I fancy a new synth, and Zebra is looking like a likely candidate. I've played with the demo and have been impressed....I really like the flexible, modular thing it has going on. However, £165 is a lot of money. Are there any Zebra users here who can offer some feedback as to whether or not it's a decent purchase? What have you found it's strengths/weaknesses are?

Alternatively, are there any other new amazing synths that have come out lately? I've had a few months off music production (I'm a recovering Modern Warfare 2 addict....it's consumed all my spare time since it was released) and I'm not up to date with the latest synth developments.
I absolutely loving love it, and these days pretty much use it for everything in my songs besides bass with a few exceptions. Other than Zebra, I'd check out Alchemy as well perhaps, Quincy's been creamin himself over it lately.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

Maguro posted:

If I want to trigger video clips with a USB MIDI controller, what would be the best program to use?

http://www.resolume.com/

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

If anyone's got a minute to spare, I could use some feedback on a track, gonna submit it for a remix contest soon and I'm not sure if it needs any last minute tweaking or anything:

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

mezzir posted:

If anyone's got a minute to spare, I could use some feedback on a track, gonna submit it for a remix contest soon and I'm not sure if it needs any last minute tweaking or anything:

I think it's great, you should feel confident about submitting that :)

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

moron posted:

I fancy a new synth, and Zebra is looking like a likely candidate. I've played with the demo and have been impressed....I really like the flexible, modular thing it has going on. However, £165 is a lot of money. Are there any Zebra users here who can offer some feedback as to whether or not it's a decent purchase? What have you found it's strengths/weaknesses are?

Alternatively, are there any other new amazing synths that have come out lately? I've had a few months off music production (I'm a recovering Modern Warfare 2 addict....it's consumed all my spare time since it was released) and I'm not up to date with the latest synth developments.
I'm a fan of DCAM Synth Squad from FXpansion.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
http://tindeck.com/listen/jybg

Here's an attempt at me trying to do some of that 8 bit stuff that's all the rage nowadays, in the vein of Flying Lotus and similar artists. Any feedback on this would be appreciated, I whipped this all up today in two sittings. And to supplement the post above me, the string sound in this track comes from Amber, which is part of the DCAM Synth Squad collection.

pelswick
Jul 29, 2006

i dont care about report card
I ONLY CARE ABOUT GUITAR

The Dark Wind posted:

http://tindeck.com/listen/jybg

Here's an attempt at me trying to do some of that 8 bit stuff that's all the rage nowadays, in the vein of Flying Lotus and similar artists. Any feedback on this would be appreciated, I whipped this all up today in two sittings. And to supplement the post above me, the string sound in this track comes from Amber, which is part of the DCAM Synth Squad collection.

the sounds themselves aren't really that full but I have to say, you did an excellent job at nailing that "half-triplet, half-straight" shuffle beat he does. now you just have to have a hat going the whole time that has *nothing* to do with the actual song.

if you want to sound even more Lotus-ey just put a bitcrusher on everything. same works for Fischerspooner.

pelswick fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 21, 2010

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

pelswick posted:

the sounds themselves aren't really that full but I have to say, you did an excellent job at nailing that "half-triplet, half-straight" shuffle beat he does. now you just have to have a hat going the whole time that has *nothing* to do with the actual song.

if you want to sound even more Lotus-ey just put a bitcrusher on everything. same works for Fischerspooner.

What would you suggest to make the sounds fuller? The shuffle wasn't too hard to write, you can either record yourself playing a hat line and take the closest one and duplicate that pattern over and over, or simple turn off the snap-to-grid function of whatever program you're using and slightly adjust the second hit towards the right until it gets to that sweet in between point. Most of the sounds came out of the free VST basic64 and I threw a bitcrusher on all the other sounds except for the strings.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

mezzir posted:

I absolutely loving love it, and these days pretty much use it for everything in my songs besides bass with a few exceptions. Other than Zebra, I'd check out Alchemy as well perhaps, Quincy's been creamin himself over it lately.

Alchemy looks nice, but I'm not sure about jumping in to additive synthesis right now. I think that'd just overwhelm me more than anything. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on Zebra though.

I have another question for you all, regarding midi keyboards.

For the past few years I've been using a Virus KC as my controller keyboard. However, now that I work entire :airquote:in the box:airquote:, I no longer need something so huge, and it'd be nice to have something with a few more assignable knobs and stuff. Having looked at what's available, it seems that M-Audio and Novation are the best contenders.

At the moment, it's a tossup between the 49 key versions of the Novation Remote SL Compact, or the M-Audio Axiom.

Has anyone got experience with either of these? Things like Automap are of no concern to me....i'm more interested about things like build quality etc.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Alchemy does alot more than additive synthesis. Look closer.

The only thing overwhelming about Alchemy is its possibilities.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Alchemy does alot more than additive synthesis. Look closer.

The only thing overwhelming about Alchemy is its possibilities.

I must admit that I didn't try it out.....I just looked over the site and made some rash generalisations about it :) I'm downloading the demo as we speak. I'll give it a blast and see what I think of it.

I like the way that the demo is fully functional for 3 weeks....that's a nice touch. I hate it when VST vendors give you a demo which starts hissing and outputting bursts of white noise after ten mins of usage (e.g. Zebra). I don't know how they expect anyone to be able to make a judgement on a synth in such a small amount of time. Perhaps if more vendors gave decent trial periods like this, then less people would be inclined to warez their stuff? i dunno...

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Yeah taking the cue from UAD I suspect. Regarding Zebra, you could get a better overview by watching the videos' on his site. (Its literally just one guy making all this poo poo)

I strongly encourage you to view all the alchemy video's as well. Its strongest feature is probably the Granular synthesis engine. Instead of OSC's it has 4 sources. A source can be Virtual Analog, Additive, Spectral (I dont fully understand this one)and Granular/sampler.

The virtual analog engine is capable of 600 waveforms PER SOURCE. Granted, if you crank it to max it will sound like a right mess, but each source has 3 filters each, that you can use to shape the source - before passing it to the filters/modulation. (you can set the source filters to parallel or serial mode)

The spectral mode can import images (yes, goatse can be a soundsource) - its abit random, but fun to experiment with.

You can have seperate amp envelopes for each source if you want. 16 AHDSR's, 16 LFO's, 16 sequencers etc etc etc.

All the effects from camel audio's previous effects camelspace and camelphat are available to you in the effects section.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
Did you try the Synth Squad stuff? If you're looking for more traditional synthesis then DCAM might be the way to go, and there's a demo on the site. Strobe is bomb.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

The Fog posted:

http://www.resolume.com/

Thanks, I'll look into it.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Did you try the Synth Squad stuff? If you're looking for more traditional synthesis then DCAM might be the way to go, and there's a demo on the site. Strobe is bomb.

I really like the sound of the audio demos. I'm worried that some of it might be a bit over my head, but I'm going to give the demo a blast! I'm picking up my new midi keyboard tomorrow, so I'll install it then.

Is it a CPU rapist? I only have a 2.4ghz c2d Macbook Pro.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Some kind of vocal-less dance track? Hell if I know. Any tips, comments or suggestions are always appreciated.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

moron posted:

I really like the sound of the audio demos. I'm worried that some of it might be a bit over my head, but I'm going to give the demo a blast! I'm picking up my new midi keyboard tomorrow, so I'll install it then.

Amber can be, but you should be okay. See how they run on your machine with the demos.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

moron posted:

They're decently rapey, but really great sounding and have very nice and easy to use interfaces. They're great for your bread and butter sounds, and Cypher and Fusor are awesome for more wild stuff too. The Synth Squad synths don't afford the sort of flexibility as Zebra's modular architecture does, but they're great and I love them to pieces.

pelswick
Jul 29, 2006

I ONLY CARE ABOUT GUITAR

The Dark Wind posted:

What would you suggest to make the sounds fuller?

maybe more panning on all of the simultaneous elements? Like, both the synth flute and the bass and the drums all sound like they're all crowded in the center there when they're all going at the same time. The strings are nice and spread out though.

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007
This may or may not be the right place to post this, but here goes...

Tell me about selling your music.

I already know which distributor I'd like to go with (cdbaby), but I don't want to get hosed over by not owning the rights to a VST I'm using or something.

Everything I have (DAW, VST's, samples) is paid for. Does this mean I'm set to sell my music? And what about free VSTs? I found no documentation saying I needed to register it, it's available off their website as a free download, and I couldn't find anything regarding rights.

What else do I need to know?

Thanks in advance!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

E1M5 posted:

This may or may not be the right place to post this, but here goes...

Tell me about selling your music.

I already know which distributor I'd like to go with (cdbaby), but I don't want to get hosed over by not owning the rights to a VST I'm using or something.

Everything I have (DAW, VST's, samples) is paid for. Does this mean I'm set to sell my music? And what about free VSTs? I found no documentation saying I needed to register it, it's available off their website as a free download, and I couldn't find anything regarding rights.

What else do I need to know?

Thanks in advance!

Realistically, nothing.

You can read the license agreement for all the software and plugins you purchased, as well as the license agreement for the free ones. There should be something about commercial use.

Plus, even if you hadn't paid for them, at your level you're flying way under the radar anyway.

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007

Kai was taken posted:

Realistically, nothing.

You can read the license agreement for all the software and plugins you purchased, as well as the license agreement for the free ones. There should be something about commercial use.

Plus, even if you hadn't paid for them, at your level you're flying way under the radar anyway.

As far as the free VST goes, there's literally no license agreement to be found anywhere, should I just assume I'm fine? How would they even know I used their VST anyways?

I think my biggest concern right now is some of the sampled drums I'm using that my friend gave me. I have no clue where they came from, and it's too late to go back and swap them out in all of my songs now.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Huge producers jack drums for songs and nothing happens, you're fine. In general you could sample full bars of Beatles tunes and be fine as long as you're not making a lot of money from it, and I'm going to assume that you aren't.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Where can I school myself on the likes of ASCAP/BMI? I know next to nothing about these things, but it seems like its on the checklist of things when getting serious about releasing something.

Is there a good outline for this kind of stuff? I want to retain as much rights to my songs as possible while striking a deal with a reputable indie label. Sorry if this sounds completely stupid.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

posted an earlier version of this in the sketches thread but its a more complete song now so I figured I'd mosey back to this thread since it's where I tend to hang out more.

A remix of Memory Tapes - Bicycle

Lowbo
Jan 16, 2010
Been messing around with the vocal samples in Logic...

http://soundcloud.com/lowbo/heartbreaker

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

mezzir posted:

posted an earlier version of this in the sketches thread but its a more complete song now so I figured I'd mosey back to this thread since it's where I tend to hang out more.

A remix of Memory Tapes - Bicycle

Really nice! :)

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
just did this
http://soundcloud.com/stranger-song/last-note
im not sure if i like it or hate it right now, but that's cause i've been listening to it on loop for too long

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

No. 9 posted:

Where can I school myself on the likes of ASCAP/BMI? I know next to nothing about these things, but it seems like its on the checklist of things when getting serious about releasing something.

Is there a good outline for this kind of stuff? I want to retain as much rights to my songs as possible while striking a deal with a reputable indie label. Sorry if this sounds completely stupid.

My understanding is that ASCAP/BMI is a blanket licensing thing for public performance only.

Basically means that if a bar or whatever wants to play music, they don't have to get (and pay for) rights to publicly broadcast every individual song, they just get a license from ASCAP/BMI and pay a fee for that, which in turn ASCAP/BMI distributes back to the artists.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

So uhhhhhh. I think I just made daft punk

mezzir fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 25, 2010

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

:woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop:
http://itsthemoneyshot.com/
:woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

drat, awesome.

I like the ":3: he's doing a night by night remix! :3:" bit near the end.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

mezzir posted:

So uhhhhhh. I think I just made daft punk

This is awesome. How did you get that lead sound?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I'm trying to steer my music towards clubbiness. Do you guys think this works?

pelswick
Jul 29, 2006

I ONLY CARE ABOUT GUITAR

The Dark Wind posted:

This is awesome. How did you get that lead sound?

it sounds like he had a sample of a guitar and put it through a filter

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
I have a question about hardware synthesizers. Racks are basically the synthesizer without a keyboard, leaving it up to you to connect it up to a midi keyboard? Is that how it works?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

You'll also need to connect to the audio out, but yeah.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Racks are not always identical, though. In the case of a Nord Lead or Access Virus desktop - yes. But a Motif ES rack lacks a sequencer and a sampler, and a Trinity rack can't use the MOSS board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowbo
Jan 16, 2010
http://soundcloud.com/lowbo/heartbreaker

less compression and changed the drums a little bit

also could someone point me to a good site for dancehall/bashment a capellas? I'm working on a track that could really use one

• Locked thread