Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Not loving Around was pretty much the only good song on Fluent in Stroll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Catch 22 albums (Keasbey doesn't count) rank like this:

Dinosaur Sounds -- Alone In a Crowd -- Permanent Revolution -- Washed Up and through the Ringer

I have not heard Catch 22s Live album, but since Washed Up... has a bunch of live poo poo and is loving horrendous I didn't feel the need. Not to mention the fact that I saw Catch 22 probably at least once a year from 2002-2008 and they were terrible until the very last two times I saw them. It's like they were having a competition with themselves to see if they could play their songs as fast as possible, which made them sloppy and everything sounded like poo poo. The last two times I saw them they were definitely getting better, I'd even say they were good.

Big D got a tour bus and lost their drat minds. I am curious how well the last album sold, but honestly they've been going downhill since Gypsy Hill EP. Most people disagree with me on that, but Beijing to Boston was terrible, Salem Girls was obviously poo poo, and Strictly Rude had some major poo poo on it. How It Goes would have been a pretty drat good album but they put too many songs on them, cut out the poo poo and you have a good album. I like Fluent in Stroll better than Beijing to Boston (Big Ds side anyway) and almost better than Strictly Rude.

This is Unsavory
Feb 14, 2009

Red Red Blue posted:

Not loving Around was pretty much the only good song on Fluent in Stroll

I honestly don't get all the hate towards Fluent in Stroll. I think it's a solid album. There's a few tracks I don't care for (I'm looking at you, "We Can Live Anywhere!"), but the rest, I can't get out of my head. I'd say it's on par with Strictly Rude.

This is Unsavory fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 24, 2010

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

It's a pretty major change in sound for them, and any time you do that you're obviously going to alienate at least some of your fans. It's like the new Bosstones album for me. That's a good loving album, and if a brand new band popped up and put an album out that sounded like that I'd be all about telling everyone I know how good that poo poo is. But it's the Bosstones, and they're rockin rear end poo poo where Dicky is yelling is head off is still way better than the last album, so I'm a little dissapointed in it. Very good album, but you know they can do better.

Speaking of new bands The Have Nots just signed to Paper and Plastick records and you can download their album for free at http://www.districtlines.com/17369-Have-Nots-Serf-City-USA-Free-Digital-Sampler/Paper-And-Plastick

That poo poo is good! Beyond that their bio says they played 150 tour dates in 2009, did anybody see these guys? I kind of think that number is total bullshit because I saw them touring like maybe 3 times, and those tours had like 10 dates each max.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Josh Wow posted:

It's a pretty major change in sound for them, and any time you do that you're obviously going to alienate at least some of your fans.

Pretty much this. It seems either some people generally don't like the new sound, or others hate it solely because it's different (ironically enough). Personally I love Fluent in Stroll - not every song is a hit, but a lot of them are very catchy, good dancing songs, and fun to sing along to. I forget where I read it, but I remember Big D. saying "it's not ska music, it's strolling music."

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I loving love the Have Nots. I was hoping that meant they had a new album already, but... that one is great, get it.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Not ska I know, but it is the Have Nots. If you like punk this is a pretty kickass show. Side Effects played with the Bosstones at the ME this year and were kickass.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Have Nots are working on the new album now/have it finished and it's coming out soon, I think

I saw them last summer with 4point0 and TIASU and I can't remember who else, but they were pretty frickin great

Also the ebst Catch22 album is Alone in a Crowd, gently caress the haters

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Brunt of It All is a skacore band too.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

aricoarena posted:

http://www.skabrewing.com/main.html Two of my favorite things have finally come together.

I found some of this in a liquor store in West Texas once of all places, it's not very good but the bottlecaps are loving awesome

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

Speaking of new bands The Have Nots just signed to Paper and Plastick records and you can download their album for free at http://www.districtlines.com/17369-Have-Nots-Serf-City-USA-Free-Digital-Sampler/Paper-And-Plastick

That poo poo is good! Beyond that their bio says they played 150 tour dates in 2009, did anybody see these guys? I kind of think that number is total bullshit because I saw them touring like maybe 3 times, and those tours had like 10 dates each max.

They play all the drat time in Boston and it's great, they're super good live. It just gets a little boring since they only have like 10 songs. This girl I work with is pretty entrenched in the ska scene around here, so I've been out drinking with them and seen them at a few parties; they're pretty chill guys to boot. I'm excited and happy for them that they finally got signed!

EDIT: god damnit, Unit 11 is literally in the building across the parking lot from my weekend job, they have ska shows there all the time and I'm always working the overnights when it happens :(. At least on dead nights I can stand outside my office and hear the show from there...

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 24, 2010

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You know what was disappointing? Seeing Car Full of Midgets and not only was their tuba player there, nobody was a midget. They had a dude that was like 6'1

That's false advertising

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was going to say, I found Ska Brewing Co. on a trip through Illinois.

Beer was okay, but I still have a couple of the caps floating around.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Anyone in the NYC area, this is probably of interest: High School Football Heroes are reuniting for another show.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=320841162169&ref=ts

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

http://www.terminal5nyc.com/event/4276

It looks like I'm going to get to go see the loving SPECIALS on 4/20 in NYC! We're doing a northeast tour that week and just now realized The Specials are gonna be playing on a day we don't have a show yet. This is the BEST poo poo EVER gently caress

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Josh Wow posted:

It looks like I'm going to get to go see the loving SPECIALS on 4/20 in NYC! We're doing a northeast tour that week and just now realized The Specials are gonna be playing on a day we don't have a show yet. This is the BEST poo poo EVER gently caress

I believe I speak for the thread here when I say gently caress you.

Why must Indianapolis suck so bad for ska bands, the only really good one we have right now is Green Room Rockers. Then add in that any major tour avoids us so I have to either go to Ohio or Chicago

Backno fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 24, 2010

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

Coming around Boston at all on that tour?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Hopefully. We only have a Sunday and a Monday open right now where we could play Boston but I'm definitely going to try and book a Boston show. Probably won't be the biggest show but I'm going to try and get some good bands on it. I'll post our tour dates here when we have everything confirmed.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

Hopefully. We only have a Sunday and a Monday open right now where we could play Boston but I'm definitely going to try and book a Boston show. Probably won't be the biggest show but I'm going to try and get some good bands on it. I'll post our tour dates here when we have everything confirmed.

Looking forward to it, never seen TMT live before! Also, I don't know poo poo about the booking process or any of that, but I could most likely put you in touch with a few local acts if you need any help on that end.

VVVV Really? Which one?

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 25, 2010

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I'm in a local act!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Apparently the new Have Nots album comes out May 3rd

Rad, or kickin' rad?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Totally badical dude.

I'd love to hear some good local Boston bands to hit up. The only bands I know of (that might actually play with us) are the Have Nots and Interrobang.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I saw a band on somebody's website once, called Tyrannosaurus Sex

That is probably the best band name I've ever heard

I dunno if they're frmo Boston but if they are you should look them up just based on the name

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

I think we either had a show booked with them on our last tour we had to cancel or I tried to book a show with them on our last tour. Honestly though I booked a show with a band called Robocock one time and they were so dissapointing that I'm pretty hesitant about bands with sweet names.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'll make some tentative inquiries. I can probably get in touch with Have Nots, Void Union, Boston Jolly Pirates, and maybe the Swaggering Growlers. I'll keep you updated!

Oh yeah! And to anybody who thinks the Have Nots are the bee's knees, check out Stray Bullets, they're basically the same band. (3 of 4 members I believe)

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 25, 2010

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Dickeye posted:

I saw a band on somebody's website once, called Tyrannosaurus Sex

That is probably the best band name I've ever heard

I dunno if they're frmo Boston but if they are you should look them up just based on the name

Tyrannosaurus Sex used to be The Ransom. They're pretty awesome but I haven't talked to them in ages I don't know if they're still around. We played a ton of shows with them and they're good guys but they get drunk real fast.

I'd have to check and see who's not poo poo like my band, but definitely go with the Jolly Pirates and Void Union, if anything.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Tyrannosaurus Sex used to be The Ransom. They're pretty awesome but I haven't talked to them in ages I don't know if they're still around. We played a ton of shows with them and they're good guys but they get drunk real fast.

I'd have to check and see who's not poo poo like my band, but definitely go with the Jolly Pirates and Void Union, if anything.

What band do you play in? (Also howdy Snus buddy!)

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Bosstones playing in Europe at the Groezrock festival in Belgium in April.

http://www.groezrock.be/

Lineup is so kickass. Have fun EuroGoons.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I'll make some tentative inquiries. I can probably get in touch with Have Nots, Void Union, Boston Jolly Pirates, and maybe the Swaggering Growlers. I'll keep you updated!

Oh yeah! And to anybody who thinks the Have Nots are the bee's knees, check out Stray Bullets, they're basically the same band. (3 of 4 members I believe)
The Stray Bullets were awesome, but to my knowledge they only released one album :(

Would love to know of more bands like that though. I already know about Operation Ivy and such.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
They did. They started working on a few follow-ups that ended up on the Have Nots' album, since they're ostensibly the same band. Stray Bullets were rad.

Boston used to rule. The best thing was the annual Kicked in the Head / Big D Halloween show at Axis. I think Big D still does one, but I haven't bothered looking into it in years. If you've never heard Kicked in the Head, check it. They were like a hardcore band meets ska meets Jane's Addiction. So good.

http://kickedinthehead.com/music/putupafight.mp3
http://kickedinthehead.com/music/Fix%20My%20Sink.mp3

The audio on this kinda sucks, but they were the poo poo live. I remember this show. Reach the Sky were awesome too (and I think they're back together.) Anyway, the KITH singer had more presence than basically anyone I can ever remember seeing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLEM5JoK74A

Sugar Blaster fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 25, 2010

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I am in in Skally Cap Mafia, which was pretty much a run of the mill straight out of high school ska band. Lead singer can't sing, or write lyrics and the non horns didn't really like writing decipherable lyrics anyawys. I like it, but we need to condense and practice a ton more.

On the other hand, nobody seems to like my idea of some kind of dancepunk ska band, somewhere between Cobra Starship (who are douchebags), and Streetlight. Ska with a drum machine basically. It sounds ridiculous but I think it has potential. Just nobody interested.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

I am in in Skally Cap Mafia, which was pretty much a run of the mill straight out of high school ska band. Lead singer can't sing, or write lyrics and the non horns didn't really like writing decipherable lyrics anyawys. I like it, but we need to condense and practice a ton more.

On the other hand, nobody seems to like my idea of some kind of dancepunk ska band, somewhere between Cobra Starship (who are douchebags), and Streetlight. Ska with a drum machine basically. It sounds ridiculous but I think it has potential. Just nobody interested.

I think that sounds like a great idea. I think ska is a lot more versatile than a lot of people give it credit for. I tried to get my old band into the idea of a ska concept album, in the vein of Catch 22's Permanent Revolution or (ugh) the last Green Day album, except less crappy, but they weren't having any of it.

If you guys ever need a trombone, guitar or bass player, I would love the opportunity to jam out with some local ska!

Sugar Blaster posted:

Boston used to rule. The best thing was the annual Kicked in the Head / Big D Halloween show at Axis. I think Big D still does one, but I haven't bothered looking into it in years. If you've never heard Kicked in the Head, check it. They were like a hardcore band meets ska meets Jane's Addiction. So good.

Big D still does it. I heard not great things about last year, but the year before was an awesome show: Middle East downstairs, with Big D, Have Nots, Void Union, We Are the Union, and 1 or 2 other acts, all in ridiculous costumes onstage.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 25, 2010

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Do you know how many babies I'd punch to see WATU play? A lot of loving babies, that's how many. Like, at least seven.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Are we still talking about bands we miss? (this thread got unmarked WTF with that?) Does anyone remeber STALKING ROXY? they were good, and my cd got scratched to gently caress in the back of my car. God I miss it.

I still have one song on my STILL STANDING comp. Anyone else with that comp is a friend of mine. (4 cds of ska)

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 1, 2010

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

aricoarena posted:

Are we still talking about bands we miss? (this thread got unmarked WTF with that?) Does anyone remeber STALKING ROXY? they were good, and my cd got scratched to gently caress in the back of my car. God I miss it.

I still have one song on my STILL STANDING comp. Anyone else with that comp is a friend of mine. (4 cds of ska)
I do remember Stalking Roxy. Also, Amazon MP3 has their album and EP.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Thank you! I like them more than I should but drat, I just like them.

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 1, 2010

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

aricoarena posted:

Personally one of the broken up ska bands I really miss is The Know How. I loved their keyboard and technoish sound. :(

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
How about Slapstick can we reminisce about them?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Anyone heard of this little band called Catch-22? They used to be sweet. Too bad they had to break up after Keasbey Nights.

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
gently caress you, Skip, Alone in the Crowd was awesome