Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm REALLY hoping for full DLNA compliance in both client and server mode. That would be huge in my eyes and really a logical step given the capabilities of the newest Broadcom SOC solutions and the widespread use of DLNA. Imagine being able to watch your recordings or live TV from your Xbox or PS3 in a different room or being able to stream video files or music from a simple nas box to the Tivo without any special server side software.

They could even release a simple DLNA client box of their own that offers an 'enhanced' experience when coupled with a new TiVo somewhere on the local network (think full TiVo interface with the remote box handling the tuning/recording/fetching guide info).

I really want a good focus on hub/spoke design with this announcement as well as a full HD revamp of the interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Kilson posted:

Edit the channel list and remove all the SD ones where you have an HD equivalent.

Didn't even know you could do this. Will do it for those channels where I never want the SD version, but I still wish there was better flagging in the TiVo itself so I could have it record the HD version where available, but if a program was SD only it would grab the SD channel with a lower bitrate.

e: that's actually another annoyance, when it decides to record the stretchyvision "HD" version which then means I can't get either my TV or the TiVo to squash it back to 4:3.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

qirex posted:

But what would it run on? The TivoHD has a pretty anemic processor by today's standards and as far as I know their "PC Tivo" kit was a total flop. If they really wanted to get out of the hardware business they could just let all their staff go except for 3 lawyers and make bank off their patent portfolio.

I'm hoping it's something big, there really hasn't been much innovation in this area lately, mostly just hardware catching up with HD video for the last few years.

More partnerships with cable companies? Some kind of online service?

I really hope it's new hardware, because my bedroom Tivo HD has never been quite right, but given the direction they've been going (running on DirecTV hardware, running on Comcast hardware) I worry.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like some inventory info has been leaked at Best Buy about some new hardware.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/25/tivo-premiere-xl-dvrs-show-up-in-best-buy-systems-for-299-49/

From the hours of recording, we can assume the XL is the same 1TB drive and the normal is up to 320gb. I really hope there's more to next week's announcement because that's very yawn inducing. Also, while 320gb is better than 160gb for the base, I still think that's way too little starting storage.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd like to think LAN streaming is a given but who knows. I was kind of hoping for a blu-ray drive because then it really would be an "all in one" box but that was never very likely.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, what we don't know is if Tivo themselves will be selling the same hardware as best buy (if they continue selling hardware at all.) So, there may be some sort of "enthusiasts" product that they will sell themselves.

However, give the fact that the prices haven't moved at all, any such product will likely be priced into the stratosphere.

Oh well, crossing my fingers for DLNA streaming to and from these boxes which would make them somewhat appealing.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

I totally agree that the TiVo needs to, at the very least, do some sort of streaming in the home, a la the WD TV Live. Even if it is rudimentary, like being able to offload previously TiVo'ed shows to a SMB share or something, and then stream it back later. Being to stream an XviD would be ideal. C'mon TiVo, the software needs to get better.

I've been waiting to see if there was anything better coming along, but with this news it has finally been the push to get me to open up my TiVo HD and pop in that 1TB drive.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tivos can already stream, the main reason any given tivo will fail to stream any given recording is that it obeys the copy protection metadata applied to it by your cable company. Supporting additional streaming formats and technologies will not fix this, it's a different sort of problem.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

haveblue posted:

Tivos can already stream, the main reason any given tivo will fail to stream any given recording is that it obeys the copy protection metadata applied to it by your cable company. Supporting additional streaming formats and technologies will not fix this, it's a different sort of problem.
Being able to stream your videos from other places on your network would be a really big deal and position them better against boxee, and WDTV.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

qirex posted:

Being able to stream your videos from other places on your network would be a really big deal and position them better against boxee, and WDTV.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but I already have a utility on my computer that will play shows off the Tivo (ok, download and then play, but that's a trivial difference). The capability is there in the box. It will let me space-shift any show that is not copy protected- but that's virtually none of what I record, because Time Warner throws the no-copy flag on everything. Having a fancy streaming server with an interface and a transcoder and DLNA inside the tivo will not get around this flag or their policy of obeying it.

In other news, my tivo continues to be unable to receive Comedy Central HD without crashing after a few minutes. So long, Jon Stewart's pores, I hardly knew ye.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Looks like some inventory info has been leaked at Best Buy about some new hardware.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/25/tivo-premiere-xl-dvrs-show-up-in-best-buy-systems-for-299-49/

From the hours of recording, we can assume the XL is the same 1TB drive and the normal is up to 320gb. I really hope there's more to next week's announcement because that's very yawn inducing. Also, while 320gb is better than 160gb for the base, I still think that's way too little starting storage.

There's also this: http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/11/new-ui-tweaked-hardware-in-store-for-tivos-march-reveal/ , so I'd be surprised if there wasn't a new UI. Unless the rest of the hardware is a huge and necessary jump, though, I don't see why I wouldn't stick with my S3.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Deathlove posted:

There's also this: http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/11/new-ui-tweaked-hardware-in-store-for-tivos-march-reveal/ , so I'd be surprised if there wasn't a new UI. Unless the rest of the hardware is a huge and necessary jump, though, I don't see why I wouldn't stick with my S3.

Here's the problem though. It's been almost 4 years since the S3 was first introduced. The S3 and the HD never sold well to begin with. So, don't you think Tivo should be chomping at the bit to make SOMETHING compelling to entice at least existing loyal Tivo owners want to upgrade (to say nothing of trying to lure new people into the fold)?

If Tivo's new UI is worth a drat, it shouldn't be able to run on the older models because it should require more hardware resources than the older models can give.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

haveblue posted:

In other news, my tivo continues to be unable to receive Comedy Central HD without crashing after a few minutes. So long, Jon Stewart's pores, I hardly knew ye.

Let me guess, you have Time Warner? I think this has been a long standing problem. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=418924&page=20 Complain to TWC to fix their signal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

haveblue posted:

Copy protection shouldn't matter when streaming to an authorized client. We're not talking about dumping shows unencrypted to disc on a computer and streaming them around, we're talking about in home streaming from device to device or device to client.

My Verizon FIOS dvr has multi-room capability where I can record anything on one box and watch it on another box streamed through the network. Moxi can do something similar and they even have a paired down thin client with no tuners to attach to TVs.

Windows Media Center can also stream recordings to other media centers without worrying about copy protection.

Copy protection doesn't hinder this type of streaming.

The reason why you run into a roadblock is you are transferring the actual file, unencrypted, to your hard drive.

If Tivo can deliver me a solution where I have a single TiVo with a decent sized hard drive that can place shift content around my house (using some sort of inexpensive thin client on additional TVs without tuners or sub fees), they will have my business.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 26, 2010

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

bull3964 posted:

Here's the problem though. It's been almost 4 years since the S3 was first introduced. The S3 and the HD never sold well to begin with. So, don't you think Tivo should be chomping at the bit to make SOMETHING compelling to entice at least existing loyal Tivo owners want to upgrade (to say nothing of trying to lure new people into the fold)?

If the economy was better back then and those 2 models didn't sell well, why would sales be better in this economy?

bull3964 posted:

Copy protection shouldn't matter when streaming to an authorized client. We're not talking about dumping shows unencrypted to disc on a computer and streaming them around, we're talking about in home streaming from device to device or device to client.

My Verizon FIOS dvr has multi-room capability where I can record anything on one box and watch it on another box streamed through the network. Moxi can do something similar and they even have a paired down thin client with no tuners to attach to TVs.

If Tivo can deliver me a solution where I have a single TiVo with a decent sized hard drive that can place shift content around my house (using some sort of inexpensive thin client on additional TVs without tuners or sub fees), they will have my business.

I have 2 tivos and can stream a show from one to the other.

I can also have shows automatically go to a computer drive, to save space on the Tivo, and be able to pull the shows up on either Tivo. That's in addition to being able to share a folder full of videos, not Tivo recordings, on my computer and be able to watch them on my Tivo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chemosh6969 posted:

If the economy was better back then and those 2 models didn't sell well, why would sales be better in this economy?

Well, I guess TiVo should just fold shop and become a software only company then. There's not much point in trying anymore.

TiVo sales are were/are bad because by the time cablecard got sorted, cable company DVRs offered good enough functionality to make it not worth the effort for most people. If TiVo would actually try to be a leader in this space instead of a patent holding company, they might just get back up to the sales they enjoyed with the Series 2 units.

chemosh6969 posted:

I have 2 tivos and can stream a show from one to the other.

Yeah, and you have to have two full Tivos with subs to do that. There's no reason why we need to have this artificial limitation. I don't need any more than two tuners in my house, I would like to have more than one TV be able to watch digital/HD programming without having to do Tivo x 2 or rent equipment from Verizon.

Give me a server - client setup, not a peer setup.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

bull3964 posted:

Give me a server - client setup, not a peer setup.

quote:

I can also have shows automatically go to a computer drive, to save space on the Tivo, and be able to pull the shows up on either Tivo. That's in addition to being able to share a folder full of videos, not Tivo recordings, on my computer and be able to watch them on my Tivo.

Server - client setup.

I know what you're saying but if I want digital channels on more than one TV, I need multiple cable boxes. Plus people can get a DVR for free from their cable company. Tivo would have to do something completely amazing to persuade people to pay extra to own the box and a subscription that is higher than it used to be back in the series 2 days.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chemosh6969 posted:

Server - client setup.

I know what you're saying but if I want digital channels on more than one TV, I need multiple cable boxes.

That's the point though. That's simply not necessary in this day and age. I'm not going to pay $10-$15 /month for a TV I watch maybe 1-2 hours a week. Right now, I have an SDTV in such locations and pipe an RF modulated signal though a 2nd coax network to it. I would much rather just put a nettop sized dumb box on it and stream both recordings and live TV off of the main device.

Moxi has it, why doesn't TiVo do something similar?

If this announcement next week turns out to be slightly tweaked hardware with warmed over UI changes, I'm pretty much set on buying a Moxi(3 tuner, 500gb)+Moxi Mate bundle which is only $100-$150 more expensive (depending on sales) than buying a dual tuner 160gb TiVo HD with lifetime service.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

bull3964 posted:

That's the point though. That's simply not necessary in this day and age. I'm not going to pay $10-$15 /month for a TV I watch maybe 1-2 hours a week. Right now, I have an SDTV in such locations and pipe an RF modulated signal though a 2nd coax network to it. I would much rather just put a nettop sized dumb box on it and stream both recordings and live TV off of the main device.

Moxi has it, why doesn't TiVo do something similar?

If this announcement next week turns out to be slightly tweaked hardware with warmed over UI changes, I'm pretty much set on buying a Moxi(3 tuner, 500gb)+Moxi Mate bundle which is only $100-$150 more expensive (depending on sales) than buying a dual tuner 160gb TiVo HD with lifetime service.

Have you considered the Windows 7 Media Center + Extender (XBOX 360) route? You get a full-on computer, guide with no subscription, and the ability to watch live and recorded TV through the XBOX. You also can use things like Boxee, Hulu, etc. and decode any format video file, listen to music, look at pictures... you get the idea. I'm walking down that path myself. You can build a capable HTPC for ~$500 and if you want digital cable support, $400 for a Quad-tuner CableCARD device by Ceton coming out in March. Add as many XBOXes as you have TVs and you're set.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Brock Landers posted:

Have you considered the Windows 7 Media Center + Extender (XBOX 360) route? You get a full-on computer, guide with no subscription, and the ability to watch live and recorded TV through the XBOX. You also can use things like Boxee, Hulu, etc. and decode any format video file, listen to music, look at pictures... you get the idea. I'm walking down that path myself. You can build a capable HTPC for ~$500 and if you want digital cable support, $400 for a Quad-tuner CableCARD device by Ceton coming out in March. Add as many XBOXes as you have TVs and you're set.

Yes, I have actually and it's a real possibility. Although I am leaning more towards a "take it out of the box and it works" solution, I'm also going to weigh this route as well.

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!

Brock Landers posted:

I'm almost there, I'm just missing the ceton tuner. Everything else is in place.

Xbox 360s are noisy and use too much power. Use a Linksys DMA2100 Extender instead. I got 2 of these for $100 each at ecost when they were on sale a month ago or so. They're noiseless and use very little power.

You'll need 4GB of memory on the HTPC before Windows Media Center will allow you to go the cablecard route. And 160GB+ HDD space and a 2ghz+ dual core cpu, but that's not too big a deal.

Don't count on your extenders playing every format from your movie collection on your HTPC. I can't get mine to play MKVs right, though AVIs seem to work fine. MPG files with AC3 (from my TiVo HD) play with no audio. Hours of messing around with decoder filters and such and googling for answers doesn't help much. Just consider your Windows Media Center + Extender setup a dedicated TV recording, pictures, music, and probably netflix player, and if you get some of your movie collection to play on an extender, that's a bonus. I was really hoping for the kind of compatibility you would find on a popcorn hour or a WD TV, but what can you do?

So far, for 225ft of Cat 6 cable in varying lengths, a 5-port gigabit switch, an Arrow T-59 staple gun and the staples for running Cat 6 (your HTPC can't be connected wirelessly and also transmitting wirelessly to the extenders, aka "no double wireless hops"), HDMI cables, 2 Media Center Extenders + 3 year squaretrade warranties on them, a new WD 1.5TB HDD and SATA cables and 4GB DDR2 memory and a quad ceton cablecard tuner for my existing Media Jukebox and soon to be HTPC, it looks like my total will end up at around $927. If you're starting from scratch and have no existing Media Jukebox PC like I did that you can quickly convert into an HTPC, then the Moxi + 2 extender package will probably end up cheaper, but 3 tuners may not be enough for a whole-home setup.

Dr. Gaius Baltar fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 27, 2010

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

So far, for 225ft of Cat 6 cable in varying lengths, a 5-port gigabit switch, an Arrow T-59 staple gun and the staples for running Cat 6 (your HTPC can't be connected wirelessly and also transmitting wirelessly to the extenders, aka "no double wireless hops"), HDMI cables, 2 Media Center Extenders + 3 year squaretrade warranties on them, a new WD 1.5TB HDD and SATA cables and 4GB DDR2 memory and a quad ceton cablecard tuner for my existing Media Jukebox and soon to be HTPC, it looks like my total will end up at around $927. If you're starting from scratch and have no existing Media Jukebox PC like I did that you can quickly convert into an HTPC, then the Moxi + 2 extender package will probably end up cheaper, but 3 tuners may not be enough for a whole-home setup.

Don't forget the Moxi won't do Hulu, Boxee, or Netflix. At least not natively. You can use PlayOn and DNLA, but that still requires a beefy computer to do the transcoding and the quality goes down. It's all a tradeoff and there doesn't seem to be one good solution. If TiVO can bring out something that will be the one solution, then they'll have my money. I don't think that's what is going to happen though.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Announcement Day!

I want to believe. :unsmith:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Deathlove posted:

Announcement Day!

I want to believe. :unsmith:

So do I, we'll see.

Why do they have to wait until 6pm though?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

couple pictures leaking early
http://www.apimages.com/Search.aspx...&cfasstyle=AND&
http://newshopper.sulekha.com/tivo-redo_photo_1196004.htm

It looks like the new collections are more about online/cable stuff than local streaming :/

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 3, 2010

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

CNet jumped the gun a bit:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10462438-1.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

highlights:
  • New UI integrates TV and internet video, live PIP in upper corner of screen
  • no mention of LAN streaming or local storage
  • optional bluetooth remote with sliding QWERTY keyboard
  • $300 for 320 gigs, $500 for 1 TB [WTF]
  • no wifi, new 802.11N module $90
after further perusal I'm giving this one a big giant yawn, I'll stick with my HD until it stops working. It seems like most of the new features are based around pay VOD

qirex fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 3, 2010

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

loving 3 1/2 year wait for this.

I think my jaw just fell off because I yawned so hard.

Looks like Moxi or WM7 DVR for me.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Disappointed in no DLNA stuff (at launch), but I love the new UI. I don't have any particular need for extenders or anything, either, so, I don't know. Torn, to be sure. I'm guessing they'll do Lifetime transfers for a window like they did with S2->S3, so I guess it depends on what I can get for my S3+1TB on eBay.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

qirex posted:

CNet jumped the gun a bit:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10462438-1.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

highlights:
  • New UI integrates TV and internet video, live PIP in upper corner of screen
  • no mention of LAN streaming or local storage
  • optional bluetooth remote with sliding QWERTY keyboard
  • $300 for 320 gigs, $500 for 1 TB [WTF]
  • no wifi, new 802.11N module $90
after further perusal I'm giving this one a big giant yawn, I'll stick with my HD until it stops working. It seems like most of the new features are based around pay VOD

I agree. While it's nice to see some of these features make it to TiVO, there is no really innovation here and they didn't even catch up to their competitors in some areas (more than 2 tuners, local media integration, extenders, etc.) Also, Flash? Aren't we trying to move away from that? The fact that they'll have "apps" to further enhance their platform is nice (Hulu, perhaps?). Still, for what it offers, it's easier and more straightforward to setup than a 7MC rig and will use less power, for sure. I'm still sticking with my plans of doing that latter, however.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Brock Landers posted:

I agree. While it's nice to see some of these features make it to TiVO, there is no really innovation here and they didn't even catch up to their competitors in some areas (more than 2 tuners, local media integration, extenders, etc.) Also, Flash? Aren't we trying to move away from that? The fact that they'll have "apps" to further enhance their platform is nice (Hulu, perhaps?). Still, for what it offers, it's easier and more straightforward to setup than a 7MC rig and will use less power, for sure. I'm still sticking with my plans of doing that latter, however.
The thing I find ridiculous is the pricing, it's the exact same price as the old ones and except for the UI it doesn't have any newer capabilities. We already have Amazon, Youtube, Netflix, etc. on S3/HD. The promise of APPZ in the future isn't enough since the frontend is Flash it's going to be incredibly limited.

I guess one good thing is that they still have SATA ports so extender HDs might become available again.

qirex fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 3, 2010

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

qirex posted:

The thing I find ridiculous is the pricing, it's the exact same price as the old ones and except for the UI it doesn't have any newer capabilities. We already have Amazon, Youtube, Netflix, etc. on S3/HD. The promise of APPZ in the future isn't enough since the frontend is Flash it's going to be incredibly limited.

I guess one good thing is that they still have SATA ports so extender HDs might become available again.

True. But, it does aggregate everything in a single search, which is great for the Wife Acceptance Factor. That's one thing a 7MC setup won't have. It's basically still a "TV focused" device, with the Internet stuff merged in. That's their market I guess, but you'd think they'd be trying to expand that a bit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm thinking these were the alternate press event titles.

"Inventing the DVR was just a warmup... and we're totally done with that now."

"Join us as we release poo poo we found in the back room marked 'for 2008 release'."

Seriously though, this would have been a good product revamp in late 2008, but in 2010 it's loving embarrassing (especially when you talk a big game in your press invites.) I don't want a half assed Boxee Box, I want a DVR that stands head and shoulders above everything else.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 3, 2010

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I dont see any mention of SDV, would it be a hilarious oversight of it still did not support it?

edit: or on demand services by your cable provider

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 3, 2010

Greenfield
Jan 27, 2005
Have the specs be released, or at least a video of the UI in action? I want to know what processor this has in it.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

I dont see any mention of SDV, would it be a hilarious oversight of it still did not support it?

edit: or on demand services by your cable provider

No SDV or OnDemand. This isn't really surprising considering there are a couple SDV standards and no OnDemand standards that I'm aware of.

Question for people: If your cable provider offered this device for the usual $9.99 for service + the standard STB rental fee per month, would you bite?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Greenfield posted:

Have the specs be released, or at least a video of the UI in action? I want to know what processor this has in it.

400 mhz dual core broadcom, (up to) 500 megs of memory (maybe more for the XL?)

Having two HDs, I can't really justify dropping $300 one one of these, even though one of my units has the flaky rebooting problem and one of them the shittily soldered HDMI port stopped working... boo tivo, boo big-talking press releases.

Brock Landers posted:

No SDV or OnDemand. This isn't really surprising considering there are a couple SDV standards and no OnDemand standards that I'm aware of.

tru2way is the on demand type standard for cablecards that was supposed to be worked out sometime last year. Maybe the year before. I think tivo just recently filed a complaint with the FCC about how they weren't getting any love with it getting implemented.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 3, 2010

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Seriously though, this would have been a good product revamp in late 2008, but in 2010 it's loving embarrassing (especially when you talk a big game in your press invites.) I don't want a half assed Boxee Box, I want a DVR that stands head and shoulders above everything else.

All the whiz-bang internet connectivity would be extremely useful if content providers would allow anything that netflix has on DVD to stream.

But they don't.

Which makes this a $300 UI upgrade-- hardly lives up to the 'hype'.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Qwijib0 posted:

Which makes this a $300 UI upgrade-- hardly lives up to the 'hype'.

Yeah, as previously pointed out, that's what makes this whole deal so drat annoying. Though from a realistic perspective, we knew exactly what to expect, they sure did their damnedest to make it seem like this was the second coming of DVR technology or something.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Now Tivo has a countdown on their website (which many have pointed out prevents them from scheduling remotely now, another middle finger to current users.)

I'm starting to think TiVo's marketing department got loving board over the past 3 years. That's the only way to explain this constant hype over nothing.

Qwijib0 posted:

All the whiz-bang internet connectivity would be extremely useful if content providers would allow anything that netflix has on DVD to stream.

Even then, not really. Internet streaming is old hat at this point. It's a bullet point on many new blu-ray players, we have dedicated small boxes that specialize in this sort of thing that don't have to worry about pissing off MSOs, we have sub $300 netbooks and nettops that can deliver this content.

So, we get to pay Tivo $299 for the hardware AND $399 for lifetime service to gain less functionality than a sub $200 boxee. Woowee, search is integrated with the rest of the stuff. That's worth an extra $500.

TiVo has literally forgotten about the DVR. They have jumped so whole hog into other content sources that they forgot what the core value of their product is. What they fail to realize is there are SO many options that do that internet stuff better and for less money. Give me a fantastic DVR first and THEN add that internet stuff.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

Brock Landers posted:

Question for people: If your cable provider offered this device for the usual $9.99 for service + the standard STB rental fee per month, would you bite?

SDV has been supported via tuning adapters, I don't see that changing without tru2way. It does support cable on demand if your cable provider has backend support to send it over IP. You can see comcast on demand in one of the pictures, and "cable on demand' in another.

• Locked thread