Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within is now on GOG for $5.99.

Plus Call to Power 2 and King's Quest 4+5+6 arriving on Thursday.

Athletic Footjob fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Rocking.

e: Would I be missing anything if I skipped GK1 and go straight to 2? (Plot wise, that is.)

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 23, 2010

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Blodskur posted:

Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within is now on GOG for $5.99.
Buying the poo poo out of this although I have the original discs and stuff. Hell, I actually only recently played through it using DOSBox, and drat does the game still own. Everyone needs to get on this because it's one of the best adventure games and probably the only really good all-FMV game ever. The story is maybe even better than that of GK1.

The price is really good too unlike Phantasmagoria's. Just buy it.

edit:

Dissapointed Owl posted:

e: Would I be missing anything if I skipped GK1 and go straight to 2? (Plot wise, that is.)
You'll be missing on a great story that is GK1, but no, everything important about your past does get explained along the way.

Oh and I heartily recommend the unofficial subtitle patch cause the game doesn't natively have subs.

Zat fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 23, 2010

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

As a Civilization nerd with Civ 4 installed, will I ever play Call to Power II if I get it?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Rocking.

If you don't plan to play GK1, the Let's Play is worth reading.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Weedle posted:

Cheers for the link Rock I mean Weedle. Don't think I ever played it when it first came out. I'll have to try out GK2.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Woebin posted:

As a Civilization nerd with Civ 4 installed, will I ever play Call to Power II if I get it?

Call to Power II is garbage, don't bother. Just keep playin' Civ 4 and hey you can use that money towards Subway or something.

DON'T GET CALL TO POWER II.

ninjedit- If you think Civ 3 is a downgrade from Civ 4, CtP2 is a big gently caress you downgrade from 3 and somehow Civ2.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Weedle posted:

Cool, thanks.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
:cry: Ah... no Mechwarrior.

Was I getting my hopes up waiting for every MW game and expansion in one package for $5?

Ok, I guess I wasn't really expecting that, but I was hoping to get my inner sphere mercenary on at some point this month.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah, the licensing issues involved make that highly unlikely. The Activision Mechwarrior games will probably never be released again.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'm still waiting for the freeware release of MechWarrior 4, as announced like eight months ago.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

The Machine posted:

Call to Power II is garbage, don't bother. Just keep playin' Civ 4 and hey you can use that money towards Subway or something.

DON'T GET CALL TO POWER II.

ninjedit- If you think Civ 3 is a downgrade from Civ 4, CtP2 is a big gently caress you downgrade from 3 and somehow Civ2.
Gotcha, thanks for the word of warning.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I'm definitely interested in Gabriel Knight II, but I think I'll hold out on buying it until I've beaten Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, which has been sitting in my laptop collecting virtual dust for the last 4 months or so.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Since they picked up the Sierra catalog via the Activision deal, they've put out too many good games for me to keep up with. I still need to play through Gabriel Knight 1 (though it's kind of hard to get into, given that I keep getting popping sounds in the audio) and I haven't even bought the Space Quest pack yet. Now we're getting GK2 and some King's Quest games. :gonk:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Kikkoman posted:

I'm definitely interested in Gabriel Knight II, but I think I'll hold out on buying it until I've beaten Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, which has been sitting in my laptop collecting virtual dust for the last 4 months or so.

I might buy Tex Murphy because I never played it but always heard about it. It just looks to straight laced and crime drama for me to enjoy it. I still haven't loaded up Gabriel Knight 1, but I just purchased 2. One day.. one day.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

AxeManiac posted:

too straight laced and crime drama for me to enjoy it.

Hiya Moyph

If by straight laced you mean not funny then yeah you might want to look at it again. The writing is good and the actors really put their hearts into their performances. It's pretty charming.

Gameplay-wise, I find that the first person 3D movement isn't always ideal (the controls are way hosed up) but it's still functional. The puzzles are logical enough (and sometimes quite original and funny!) and there's a really good in-game help system in case you get stuck.

I can't guarantee that you are gonna like it, but I bought it on a whim and it really surprised me.

Kikkoman fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 24, 2010

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Tex Murphy games are great as long as they're about the local characters and solving small puzzles. Once they diverge into bigger plot elements the game gets really weak. (Note: I haven't played all of them)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Kreeblah posted:

Gabriel Knight 1 (though it's kind of hard to get into, given that I keep getting popping sounds in the audio)
Did you try setting sbtype=sb16 (instead of 'sb1') in dosboxGK.conf? Helped me.

Also, I don't know if it did much but I changed the "rate" and "oplrate" values from 22050 to 44100 and no more sound issues after those changes.

Disclaimer: Note that the actual quality not to mention volume of the recorded dialogue vary quite a lot during the game. At random times, there just are some crackling and pops in the speech and you can't do anything about it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I just realized Gabriel Knight is voiced by Tim Curry in the first and third games. The dude who plays Gabe in the 2nd game is a pussy in comparison and ruined the character's future image with his long flowing golden locks.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Sooooo, King's Quest 4,5 & 6 are out for $9.99 and Call to Power 2 for $5.99.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

al-azad posted:

I just realized Gabriel Knight is voiced by Tim Curry in the first and third games. The dude who plays Gabe in the 2nd game is a pussy in comparison and ruined the character's future image with his long flowing golden locks.

"Yeah, I look like the lovechild of Carrot Top and that guy from The Mentalist, what of it?"

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

FLX posted:

Sooooo, King's Quest 4,5 & 6 are out for $9.99 and Call to Power 2 for $5.99.

Yeah King's Quest IV I don't give a poo poo about, but V is a classic and VI is the best in the series. I'll definitely get it when we get an inevitable weekend discount on -'s Quest games.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Kikkoman posted:

Yeah King's Quest IV I don't give a poo poo about, but V is a classic and VI is the best in the series. I'll definitely get it when we get an inevitable weekend discount on -'s Quest games.
I bought King's Quest V when I was 11 years old, on those big floppy disks, as well as the Batman Returns game. While I somehow managed to beat the latter without a walkthrough, they were both really more frustrating than actual fun in retrospect :shobon: I can't believe I put up with that at this age. I also finished Little Big Adventure 1 without a walkthrough back then, so maybe today's games just pussified me :haw:

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
I had King's Quest 4 on 8 5.25" floppy disks. We had a walkthrough from somewhere printed out to go with it, though it didn't have the full list of commands to use with the text parser. I finally managed to find the command to get one of the key items and eventually beat the game.

KQ4 is interesting in that it bridges the gap between the icon based KQ5 and the pure text/keyboard aspect of KQ3. It looks pretty good, too. The downside is, like many of the early 'Quest' games, you need a walkthrough, since there's at least a few points where you'd get hosed over if you forgot to pick up a key item at certain points.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
So Majesco's catalogue of:

Psychonauts, BloodRayne, BloodRayne 2 and Advent Rising

Are 30% off if you buy them individually or 50% off if you complete the set.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dissapointed Owl posted:

So Majesco's catalogue of:

Psychonauts, BloodRayne, BloodRayne 2 and Advent Rising

Are 30% off if you buy them individually or 50% off if you complete the set.

Just got the e-mail. Would you recommend any of this games? Ive tried Psychonauts and didnt like it (sorry, SA).

Any of these other games are worth a try?

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Just got the e-mail. Would you recommend any of this games? Ive tried Psychonauts and didnt like it (sorry, SA).

Advent Rising wasn't too bad. It had some weird design flaws but it got ridiculously fun towards the end. Avoid the Bloodrayne series.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Elias_Maluco posted:

Back in 2004 or 2005 I had a lot of fun with the first BloodRayne but that wasn't because it was good or anything. It was just crazy.

Leaping into a room, guns blazing, chopping some Nazi heads off before jumping on top of a general and sucking him dry while turning him around and shooting the just arriving reinforcements. All in slowmotion.

It's been about 5 years since I've played it, so this might just be nostalgia talking.

Part 2 isn't supposed to be very good but it was 2 bucks.
Advent Rising isn't supposed to be good but I got it anyway.

So to answer your question... ehm... no, not really.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Advent Rising is pretty fun. I just remember using dual rocket launchers, doing crazy flips, and using crazy powers.

Blood Rayne 1 was a bit boring from what I remember. 2 looks better though and has really ridiculous blood and titties.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Advent Rising is basically Halo with crazy physics powers. It's buggy and is written for a sequel that'll never happen, but it's fun.

Not gonna recommend it in 2010 but if you feel like a cheap gimmicky FPS with some neat ideas, go for it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Anyone know if the GOG Fallout Tactics works with the map editor?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Phantasmagoria 2 is up, and Return to Kronder is coming soon. Might get Krondor's sequel.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, I was hoping for the Quest for Glory collection since the other Quest games were released the last weeks.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
Does phantasmagoria 2 have any ridiculous unwinnable situations?

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Honest Thief posted:

Phantasmagoria 2 is up, and Return to Kronder is coming soon. Might get Krondor's sequel.

No Betrayal? :( drat. Return to Krondor is enjoyable on its own merits, but it doesn't have the depth of its predecessor. I'll probably end up getting it if only to play it again without the awful software rendering on my old lovely circa-2001 computer.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Honest Thief posted:

Phantasmagoria 2 is up
Oh poo poo, awesome. I was a big fan of the Let's Play thread on that game. It kept me riveted with each update, like a good TV show. Not a bad ending, either, the whole thing was worth watching.

Playing, on the other hand... I dunno.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

If you haven't played Phantasmagoria 2, just save yourself the frustration and $6 and watch this let's play http://spoonyexperiment.com/category/phantasmagoria/

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Devil Wears Wings posted:

No Betrayal? :( drat. Return to Krondor is enjoyable on its own merits, but it doesn't have the depth of its predecessor. I'll probably end up getting it if only to play it again without the awful software rendering on my old lovely circa-2001 computer.

I swear Betrayal was released for free on a bunch of PC mag discs in the 2000s. I remember having a copy but I was too dumb to figure it out. Might return to it someday.

It shouldn't be too hard to find, provided the publisher hasn't killed off the abandonware version so they could put it on GOG.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

raezr posted:

If you haven't played Phantasmagoria 2, just save yourself the frustration and $6 and watch this let's play http://spoonyexperiment.com/category/phantasmagoria/

Or this one http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Phantasmagoria2/

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Betrayal at Krondor was released as freeware some years ago, and can be downloaded from Abandonia and run in DOSBox: http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/208/Betrayal+at+Krondor.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The situation regarding BaK's "freeware" status is hazy. Sierra did release it for free on their website to promote Betrayal in Antara but they never made clear that it was only temporary and everyone from magazines to abandonware websites jumped the gun. It wouldn't be very cost effective to sell it now.

The version Sierra did release for free was only the floppy but the cd version has nothing major except better quality music and a making-of video.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 2, 2010