Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5997759,00.html

Sky Sports posted:

Pompey to return to court
Inland Revenue takes hard-line stance over crisis club

Portsmouth's administrator has told Sky Sports News that the club will return to the High Court on Tuesday as Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs is contesting their voluntary administration.

The Inland Revenue is said to be furious that the Premier League's rock-bottom side managed to avoid Monday's winding-up order for a £7million unpaid tax bill by entering administration on Friday.

Administrator Andrew Andronikou has confirmed to Sky Sports News that he and Portsmouth's lawyers are due back in court at 10.30am on Tuesday as a result.

This is a hard-line stance from the Inland Revenue due to a reported anger over the fact that it is not considered a priority creditor.

Andronikou remains calm and is not overly concerned by the latest development, saying: "We're having to go to court to show that the debenture is valid.

Problems
"I don't understand the exact reason why this is, we're just following normal protocol. We're not unduly worried.

"It's not standard procedure but I'd imagine that HMRC are basically crossing their Is and dotting their Ts.

"We're expecting the administration to proceed as it was."

Victor Cattermole had confirmed earlier on Monday that he is still interested in buying Portsmouth.

The New Zealand businessman believes his Endeavor Plan consortium is well-placed and he feels the problems at Fratton Park are not as bad as has been suggested.

I find it so odd that British law has taken away the tax collector's usual status as a preferred creditor. If I was in HMRC, I'd be pissed off too.

Iggy Pop Barker posted:

Actually, Redknapp's attitude towards European competition when he does qualify has always been pretty shocking, hasn't it? plays kids and 3rd stringers to avoid fixture congestion... so that they can concentrate on getting back into europe next season?

How often has he had to deal with European competition? He had a UEFA Cup run last season. Anything else?

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

TyChan posted:

I find it so odd that British law has taken away the tax collector's usual status as a preferred creditor. If I was in HMRC, I'd be pissed off too.

How often has he had to deal with European competition? He had a UEFA Cup run last season. Anything else?

he got there with West Ham at least once - I think he got in once through league qualification, once via the Intertoto (or he went out at the final round of the Intertoto?). Also with Portsmouth, though as a 'small club' expectations were low. Bizarrely he's been far more dismissive at Spurs than previous clubs, playing really weak lineups despite having far more squad depth than any other club he's been at.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Iggy Pop Barker posted:

Worth pointing out that while he has obviously been a success in terms of pure results, he's so far only got you to pretty much where Martin Jol did a few years back before lasagna-gate or whatever it was. Spurs have had plenty of false dawns and 30-game seasons in recent years, I'd wait until someone keeps you winning over one full uninterrupted season before you talk of CL football

Actually, Redknapp's attitude towards European competition when he does qualify has always been pretty shocking, hasn't it? plays kids and 3rd stringers to avoid fixture congestion... so that they can concentrate on getting back into europe next season?

The comparison to Martin Jol is fair at this point, but Spurs play much better football and have a stronger future than we did under Jol. I don't think in all of Jol's time there, we actually beat any of the top four (something is telling me we may have beat Chelsea once, but I'm not sure). We're 16 points off our best points tally under Jol with 10 games left with, in my opinion, a much tougher league standard. Jol did have more meddling occur and it would be interesting to see what would have happened had Jol been given a free reign.

Redknapp doesn't care about the Europa League, and neither do I until the last 16. The group stages are a boring distraction; I'd be a bit more interested in a 2 leg knock out system, but essentially it's too many extra games for too little a reward. But we don't aim high in the league to get into Europa, that's just an unwanted side effect.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8544183.stm

Portsmouth are to return to the High Court on Tuesday after Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs challenged the club going into voluntary administration.

:ohdear:

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it

Iggy Pop Barker posted:

redknapp effortpost

cheers for that, I've heard it said many times what a massive oval office he is but nobody's given such a good explanation of why

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

TyChan posted:

The preferential creditors are employees or past employees first then anyone who gave a loan that's specifically tied in with an asset (like a mortgage or finance lease or something) which is kind of fair. Everyone else is ranked equally

pimpslap
Nov 27, 2002
new home, old colors, same Arsenal

Iggy Pop Barker posted:

"I got a percentage of sell-on [fees] in my contract if I sold a player. The club paid me five per cent [for Crouch]. I went to Milan because I had signed a new contract that said five per cent but I said, 'No, when I signed Crouch it was 10 per cent, so I want 10 per cent' and Milan said, 'OK.'"

How prevalent are bonuses like this for selling-on players in manager's contracts? This just seems like a horrible (and clearly easily abused) way to reward manangers, particularly upon first hiring them. I certainly see the benefit of what such a bonus is trying to achieve, but surely there are better ways to go about it (net cost for a sold player, etc.)

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

pimpslap posted:

How prevalent are bonuses like this for selling-on players in manager's contracts? This just seems like a horrible (and clearly easily abused) way to reward manangers, particularly upon first hiring them. I certainly see the benefit of what such a bonus is trying to achieve, but surely there are better ways to go about it (net cost for a sold player, etc.)

I don't think they're very common, or ever have been in Britain - because they're so easily abused that even your average loving idiot chairman can see the incentive for squad turnover vs squad improvement. I'd be staggered if Barry Fry didn't have something like this going on when he was at Birmingham, he once used something like 59 players in one season - very few of whom were there from August right through to May. There was also a spell where he both owned and managed Peterborough iirc, so that's a safe bet. Other than that, it's always a possibility with Redknapp (pre-Portsmouth), Venables, people like that - but we'll probably never hear about it unless they brag like 'arry has here, or a disgraced chairman tries to clear their name (and who will believe them).

As I understand it, when 'bungs' on transfers were rife (i.e loving everywhere until ~1990) they were generally underhand 'brown paper bags in motorway service station' jobs rather than this sort of arrangement signed off by the club on record.

brapbrapbrap
Jan 18, 2010

by T. Mascis
Just had a text about some group launching a bid to buy Man Utd. Anyone heard anything?

Told you all something like this would happen.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

brapbrapbrap posted:

Just had a text about some group launching a bid to buy Man Utd. Anyone heard anything?

Its not going anywhere. Even if you told everyone nobody cares.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

brapbrapbrap posted:

If rumored bids and indications of interest meant actual purchases, Liverpool would have had at least 3-4 new owners by now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

brapbrapbrap posted:

Craiglen.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_5997961,00.html

quote:

Sky News sources understand leading city financiers have met to discuss a potential takeover bid for Premier League champions Manchester United.

Representatives from law firm Freshfields and investment bank Goldman Sachs, among others, are understood to have been involved in the secret meeting.

Informally known as 'the Red Knights', the group held talks regarding a potential offer to buy out the Glazer family, who are unpopular with United fans.

The mammoth debts at Old Trafford have recently sparked a green and gold protest from supporters as the fans call on the Glazers to leave the club.

A £500million bonds issue has been used to help refinance the debts, and Sky sources understand the Glazers are not looking to sell.

However, Keith Harris, who has been involved with the group considering a potential takeover, recently called on supporters to start boycotting matches in an attempt to force the Glazers' hand.

Harris said last week: "Turning up to games 10 minutes late and things like that just doesn't do the job.

"The green and gold protest is fabulous, a symbolic and significant message to the owners. It is like the white handkerchiefs in Spain. But that won't force the Glazers to sell to us.

"However, if enough people - and I am talking about thousands - stop turning up to matches and do not renew their tickets, then that does it. The supporters have to hurt the Glazers in their pockets.

"They have to be prepared to take the pain of not watching their club in order to achieve a long-term gain. Supporters have to be galvanised to say, 'We will not come. We will not buy programmes and merchandise'.

"It's a big ask, it's a risk, but that is what must happen. The Glazers are thick-skinned and seem impervious to protest. They will not be impervious to enormous drops in their revenue.

"I would not talk about this if I didn't have full confidence in our ability to raise the money to do this. I never talk publicly unless I have confidence. Getting the money together is the easy bit.

"But we can't make an offer until the Glazers are placed in a position where they are forced to consider it."

This is all very preliminary conjecture.

EDIT: Also, if you need a fan boycott to damage the targeted business' revenue and force someone to sell, that basically means that there's not enough money or interest among people who work with actual business concerns in mind right to purchase the club (at least at an asking price which will leave the present owners relatively whole). Manchester United is going to have to take some major hits in order to make the Glazer family sell and take the huge loss on the club because no one is going to raise that much money just to pay off someone else's debts.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 1, 2010

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

duggimon posted:

The preferential creditors are employees or past employees first then anyone who gave a loan that's specifically tied in with an asset (like a mortgage or finance lease or something) which is kind of fair. Everyone else is ranked equally

Nope. It's the 'footballing creditors' thing. League rules mean that other clubs and players get paid first, not employees. HMRC gets to come after that. Hence why they're a bit pissed off, and why they may well really gently caress Pompey over to make an example.

brapbrapbrap
Jan 18, 2010

by T. Mascis
"However, if enough people - and I am talking about thousands - stop turning up to matches and do not renew their tickets, then that does it. The supporters have to hurt the Glazers in their pockets.

"They have to be prepared to take the pain of not watching their club in order to achieve a long-term gain. Supporters have to be galvanised to say, 'We will not come. We will not buy programmes and merchandise'."

I've been saying this for ages, since this whole Glazer thing started. That's the only way of standing by your convictions and sending a message.

I wonder how many feel so strongly about the issue that they're prepared to give up their Champions League finals, Cup finals and Premiership title races? Very few I would guess, as has been proven so far by the little amount of interest in FC United (and half of that lot still go and watch Man Utd anyway).

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
When will these people learn that a fan boycott of United will not work because there are thousands of people who would fill each empty seat.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

brapbrapbrap posted:

"They have to be prepared to take the pain of not watching their club in order to achieve a long-term gain. Supporters have to be galvanised to say, 'We will not come. We will not buy programmes and merchandise'."

I've been saying this for ages, since this whole Glazer thing started. That's the only way of standing by your convictions and sending a message.

I wonder how many feel so strongly about the issue that they're prepared to give up their Champions League finals, Cup finals and Premiership title races? Very few I would guess, as has been proven so far by the little amount of interest in FC United (and half of that lot still go and watch Man Utd anyway).

Craiglen.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Hey guys I've not seen any of the footage but this player deserves a red card.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

brapbrapbrap posted:

when five live talked to pompey fans, only half put their hand up when they asked if they would trade the fa cup for not being in a mess. No matter what people say, in the end they are going to walk through the turnstile and want their team to be doing well.

Also the glazers are not going to sell, they are just at the point of being able to really start making money from the club. I also really really doubt that these 'red knights' are willing to throw away a billion to get the glazers out.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

when five live talked to pompey fans, only half put their hand up when they asked if they would trade the fa cup for not being in a mess. No matter what people say, in the end they are going to walk through the turnstile and want their team to be doing well.

Also the glazers are not going to sell, they are just at the point of being able to really start making money from the club. I also really really doubt that these 'red knights' are willing to throw away a billion to get the glazers out.

I'm not sure that increasing United's debt by cutting their ticket income is a great way to be able to afford buying the club. Also the Glazers are already making money, the accounts show they are skimming loads off the top.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

brapbrapbrap posted:

Then why did you say this?

brapbrapbrap posted:

You're basically saying that the club is going to have to go down in value or prestige before lowering in price and getting bought up by someone else, but you don't seem to agree when anyone else basically says the same thing.

brapbrapbrap
Jan 18, 2010

by T. Mascis

TyChan posted:

Then why did you say this?

You're basically saying that the club is going to have to go down in value or prestige before lowering in price and getting bought up by someone else, but you don't seem to agree when anyone else basically says the same thing.

You've lost me. I've always said that if this anti-Glazer lot actually cared as much as they want people to think they do, they'd stop going to games and start protesting in meaningful ways. They'd still be absolute cretins of course but I'd at least have SOME respect for them for standing by their convictions. As it is, they're content to buy Newton Heath scarves (who sells these by the way? - nice little earner), whilst watching their team lift the Carling Cup and play in the Champions League etc - still pissing and moaning about the evil Glazers, whilst hypocritically continuing to feed the monster they claim to hate. Even the majority of the FC United retards still go to Man Utd games. Says it all really.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

MattWPBS posted:

Nope. It's the 'footballing creditors' thing. League rules mean that other clubs and players get paid first, not employees. HMRC gets to come after that. Hence why they're a bit pissed off, and why they may well really gently caress Pompey over to make an example.

didn't realise there was specific rules for clubs, was just applying the general rule. HMRC are even further down the list than they would be then, not surprised they're pushing for this then but I reckon they're unlikely to see much of the tax back either way

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

brapbrapbrap posted:

You've lost me. I've always said that if this anti-Glazer lot actually cared as much as they want people to think they do, they'd stop going to games and start protesting in meaningful ways. They'd still be absolute cretins of course but I'd at least have SOME respect for them for standing by their convictions. As it is, they're content to buy Newton Heath scarves (who sells these by the way? - nice little earner), whilst watching their team lift the Carling Cup and play in the Champions League etc - still pissing and moaning about the evil Glazers, whilst hypocritically continuing to feed the monster they claim to hate. Even the majority of the FC United retards still go to Man Utd games. Says it all really.

I got the impression that you have always assumed that the Big 4 would stay the Big 4 because there's always a billionaire or a group of billionaires waiting to buy something up and perpetuate the old order, regardless of what kind of trouble a club like Liverpool or Man-U found itself in. I don't see how the situation with Manchester United's potential buyout supports that idea, which you appeared to reiterate by saying "I told you something like this would happen."

This is a separate issue from your disdain for most Manchester United fans.

brapbrapbrap
Jan 18, 2010

by T. Mascis

TyChan posted:

I got the impression that you have always assumed that the Big 4 would stay the Big 4 because there's always a billionaire or a group of billionaires waiting to buy something up and perpetuate the old order, regardless of what kind of trouble a club like Liverpool or Man-U found itself in. I don't see how the situation with Manchester United's potential buyout supports that idea, which you appeared to reiterate by saying "I told you something like this would happen."

This is a separate issue from your disdain for most Manchester United fans.

I never said the Big 4 would always remain the same, my point was that there is absolute no way a club like Man Utd would be allowed to be relegated, never mind go out of business. There'll always be someone out there to bail them out before it got close to that kind of situation.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Yeah I mean look how Leeds were bailed out when they had financial trouble, good job that happened or they wouldn't have won the Champion's League last year!

brapbrapbrap
Jan 18, 2010

by T. Mascis

Scikar posted:

Yeah I mean look how Leeds were bailed out when they had financial trouble, good job that happened or they wouldn't have won the Champion's League last year!

Different club in different times.

No way would Sky, the Premier League and all the sponsors allow Man Utd to get relegated. All sorts of strings would be pulled to prevent it, 100% guaranteed.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

duggimon posted:

didn't realise there was specific rules for clubs, was just applying the general rule. HMRC are even further down the list than they would be then, not surprised they're pushing for this then but I reckon they're unlikely to see much of the tax back either way

This is the point i understand it. Due to the rules i struggling club can just stop paying the taxman first as they are last in line. HMRC are unlikely to get anything either way but they want future clubs in trouble to pay up or risk getting liquidated instead of a trip to the league below

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

brapbrapbrap posted:

I never said the Big 4 would always remain the same, my point was that there is absolute no way a club like Man Utd would be allowed to be relegated, never mind go out of business. There'll always be someone out there to bail them out before it got close to that kind of situation.

Well, I think that all the measures that you point out as being necessary in order to shift Manchester United to a more sustainable business and ownership model would probably result for a short, steep decline in fortunes that could easily result in relegation.

I don't think dissolution is that strong of a possibility, but as many clubs have shown, certain massive financial corrections are going to result in undesirable results on the pitch.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/01/city-bankers-manchester-united-bid

more details on the people behind this takeover bid. They are a chief economist, hedge funds partners and bankers. All very very wealthy, worth hundreds of millions but no where near rich enough to make a cash purchase of a majority stake.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

The scarves (the official ones, at least) are sold by MUST at or close to cost price.

Any profit they do make on MUST ventures goes back into MUST, regardless.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
One day when I win the lottery I am going to pay £300k for Pompey for shirt sponsorship. For the following 12 months the players and fans will find themselves wearing this shirt (I had the boys in R&D knock this preview up)

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
£300k will buy you the whole club, you can have a Storrie away kit and a 3rd strip sponsored by a big pile of dead Angolan children (representing the Gaydamak era)

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002
can mattWPBS or someone else with a good grip on the debt repayment schedule explain to me why the government has waited until now to make a example of a football club for following what seemed like normal protocol? why on earth would HMRC have ever allowed for the players/lesser debtholders to jump ahead in line? did they feel bad about potentially being responsible for the downfall of so many clubs and decided to hold back? i know it's probably insensitive, but if i were HMRC i would be throwing the women and children into the flames to get my piece of the pie...

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

The new Deloitte list is out...

http://in.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idINIndia-46573820100302

quote:

MILAN (Reuters) - Real Madrid and Barcelona topped the world's richest club followed by Manchester United, according to an annual survey by accountancy firm Deloitte released on Tuesday.

The combined revenues of the top 20 clubs grew by 26 million euros ($35.16 million) to over 3.9 billion euros in 2008-09, amid the global economic downturn.

However, nine of the clubs reported a decrease in revenues in local currency on the previous season.

Following are details of the top 10 clubs by revenues featuring in the latest Deloitte "Football Money League". (All 2008/09 figures in million euros, previous position in brackets).

1 (1) REAL MADRID
Revenues: 401.4 (from 365.8)
Matchday: 101.4
Broadcasting: 160.8
Commercial: 139.2

2 (3) FC BARCELONA
Revenues: 365.9 (from 308.8)
Matchday: 95.5
Broadcasting: 158.4
Commercial: 112.0

3 (2) MANCHESTER UNITED
Revenues: 327.0 (from 324.8)
Matchday: 127.7
Broadcasting: 117.1
Commercial: 82.2

4 (4) BAYERN MUNICH
Revenues: 289.5 (from 295.3)
Matchday: 60.6
Broadcasting: 69.6
Commercial: 159.3

5 (6) ARSENAL
Revenues*: 263.0 (from 264.4)
Matchday: 117.5
Broadcasting: 89.0
Commercial: 56.5
(*In million pounds: 224 from 209.3)

6 (5) CHELSEA
Revenues: 242.3 (from 268.9)
Matchday: 87.4
Broadcasting: 92.9
Commercial: 62.0

7 ( 8 ) LIVERPOOL
Revenues: 217.0 (from 207.4)
Matchday: 49.9
Broadcasting: 87.6
Commercial 79.5

8 (11) JUVENTUS
Revenues: 203.2 (from 167.5)
Matchday: 16.7
Broadcasting: 132.2
Commercial: 54.3

9 (10) INTER MILAN
Revenues: 196.5 (from 172.9)
Matchday: 28.2
Broadcasting: 115.7
Commercial: 52.6

10 (7) AC MILAN
Revenues: 196.5 (from 209.5)
Matchday: 33.4
Broadcasting: 99.0
Commercial: 64.1

(Editing by Alison Wildey; To query or comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com)

Outrespective
Oct 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Look at Liverpools matchday revenue, they are lagging an easy 40 mil a year behind the rest of the sky 4 cause they can't get a new stadium.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Nice Milan has the highest matchday revenue out of the big 3 Italian teams. Sucks that it's piss poor compared to every other league.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

how does Chelsea make so much more than Liverpool on matchday? double ticket prices or do they have THAT much more corporates?

Stim
Sep 6, 2006

We are not feeling edgy; the system is feeling nervous.

GravityDaemon posted:

Nice Milan has the highest matchday revenue out of the big 3 Italian teams. Sucks that it's piss poor compared to every other league.

This has dropped a poo poo load for 2009/2010 hasn't it? :(

I think attendance is around 42,000 or something. It's definitely a lot smaller than Inter's.

Stim fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Adnar posted:

how does Chelsea make so much more than Liverpool on matchday? double ticket prices or do they have THAT much more corporates?

London tax

• Locked thread