Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frankdiabetes
Jan 2, 2010

glucose tolerance test
I made the pupcakes from the book Hello Cupcake. I have a love-hate relationship with this book, it has some interesting ideas but usually executes them with silly things like Starbursts, marshmallows, Junior Mints and chocolate covered sunflower seeds. It's quite off-putting to bite into a cupcake that has all of these things on it simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Holy poo poo, Pupcakes! :3:

This whole day just got better. Who did you make them for?

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
My best friend and I both got that book as a gift on different occasions. We've been meaning to make them!

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

frankdiabetes posted:

I made the pupcakes from the book Hello Cupcake. I have a love-hate relationship with this book, it has some interesting ideas but usually executes them with silly things like Starbursts, marshmallows, Junior Mints and chocolate covered sunflower seeds. It's quite off-putting to bite into a cupcake that has all of these things on it simultaneously.

I've been quietly following this thread since the beginning and never have I felt so inspired as after seeing this post. How absolutely fun those look! I can't imagine how awesome it would be for someone to give me a cupcake like that, too!

My cupcake baking mania is about to resurface.... thanks for the nudge!

grumples
May 29, 2004
naughtyness on legs

frankdiabetes posted:

I've picked up this book about 142 times and put it back on the shelf each time. On a scale of 1-10 how complex are the decorations for things like the dogs? I don't really feel like spending 30 mins icing each cupcake.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
Crossposting from http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3278154

OK so I'm that dickhead that's forgotten he had an obligation to bake a cake for a party. I have 48 hours to get this done and I'm scrambling here.

I need to make a cactus shaped cake for a themed party my sister is throwing, and ideally it needs to survive 8 hours of +30 degrees Celsius heat before serving.

I have some ideas, I'm thinking creating some sort of square sponge cake, layering it and cutting it with the aid of stencil in the shape of a cactus. The only issue is that I would normally have made a few test runs with some small scale cakes to get to a product I'm happy with but I do not have the time to do it anymore. So I'm here asking if anyone has any tried and tested ideas because I'm pretty much only going to have one shot at baking and putting together this bastard - I literally will have to serve up my first attempt.

Some main concerns I have are how do I give it a nice appearance, obviously it will be in the shape of a cactus but still "square" after my cutting...

What sort of fillings can I use for a "Mexican" theme (honestly surely Mexico likes cream and jam too right?)

Would sticks of mint chocolate work for needles? I know it's a bit lazy to use factory made mint sticks but I don't have the time or space to temper my own...

How do I put together a cake for 70 people??? Do I plan it out in modular fashion and then put it together on location (like the "branches" of the cactus are seperate and I simply put it next to the trunk?)

How do I even decide how big the cake needs to be for 70 people? Is there some method people use for this?

Probably more I'm not even thinking of because I'm pretty much panicking at this point, I'm actually thinking about admitting I hosed up and having a cake made up tomorrow professionally instead..

blue_kameleon
Sep 3, 2007
I don't know if this is sacrilege in this forum (probably), but if you're that panicked just go grab a couple boxes of betty crocker mix and do that poo poo up. I mean, if you're a professional chef and that'll ruin your image obviously don't, but if you're just joe shmoo then there's no reason not to. I'd rather have a nicer cake made from mix than a rushed, panicked cake made from scratch, but that's just me.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

marketingman posted:

I need to make a cactus shaped cake for a themed party my sister is throwing, and ideally it needs to survive 8 hours of +30 degrees Celsius heat before serving.

How do I put together a cake for 70 people???

I'm far from an expert but I can't imagine many (iced) cakes withstanding that kind of heat for more than an hour without being a gooey mess. It's got to be chilled somehow. Maybe you can do the icing at the last minute or do some sort of cake that doesn't require icing?

And if you're a relatively inexperienced baker, you've waited until the last minute, and you've never made a cake for that many people, I think you might be in for a world of hurt. I don't know that you can get a professional to get you a cake with a 48 hour turnaround, either.

Guess what I'm saying is, I'm glad I'm not in your shoes right now. Good luck, and please post again afterwards and let us know how it went, because I'll be dying to know!

Edit: here's an idea: CUPCAKES.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
The quickest, most painless thing to do is go to a bakery and ask to purchase a couple clean sheetcakes. You should be able to get them for <$10. The easiest filling would be simply to make an excellent dark chocolate buttercream and spike it with a little chile and cinnamon. Find a stable base, build/carve/fill your cake. I would just use a fork and flip up some of the frosting to give it a prickly look if you're in that big of a rush.

E-actually don't use buttercream, but keep the flavor profile.

Psychobabble fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 11, 2010

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
first of all: chocolate sprinkles = cactus spikes!
also chocolate ganache with cinnamon = delicious Mexican filling

Ok, now that we that out of the way... yeah get a couple (six/seven) boxes pound cake mix... (I say pound cake because it's easier to carve)

honestly kid 70 people is a doozie.... could a bakery pull it out for you in time? It will probably be semi expensive, but with the shopping/buying large sized sheet pans/ingredients/coloring you're looking at a semi decent bit of money also.... plus hours of work.

I guess you could layer two sheet cakes on top of one another then carve... but I feel like you'll lose much needed cakeage in the cutting.

also the heat, you can't make anything easy can you? Ahahahaa.

(buttercreams made with crisco will stay solid at higher temperatures than butter creams made with butter) I prefer butter, but beggars can't be choosers some situations.

HOW ABOUT MUFFINS? DELICIOUS MUFFINS FOR ALL! HOORAY!

edit: beaten!

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
I'm not inexperienced but I'm stuck with a kitchen that I feel completely suffocated in (not enough bench space, maybe 1.5m2) and my family have tasted my baking before so they are sort of expecting something pretty loving ace oh poo poo I'm hosed aren't I.

I like the chocolate buttercream idea, got a recipe for the proportions? I have an idea of what I'd go for but I'd really like to just "know" one that's already worked... do you think it could work layered with that on the bottom, cream on top of that and then a rich raspberry jam thickly spread on the top layer of sponge?

Someone else suggested marzipan but that's totally out IMO, it's far to "heavy" for the situation.

I will simply have to find a solution for cooling - likely assembling it at the last moment and keeping the seperate components in the fridge. I just had to really fight for the fridge space, felt like I was in contract negotiations with my sister :rolleyes:

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

marketingman posted:

Someone else suggested marzipan but that's totally out IMO, it's far to "heavy" for the situation.

I will simply have to find a solution for cooling - likely assembling it at the last moment and keeping the seperate components in the fridge. I just had to really fight for the fridge space, felt like I was in contract negotiations with my sister :rolleyes:

What if, instead of making a giant cake shaped like a cactus, you made a desert-themed cake with cacti (cactuses?) on top? You could just do a big double layer sheet cake with any kind of filling (i like the chocolate, cinnamon, and chilies idea), and then cover the top with a very fine layer of frosting and a cinammon/sugar mix to look like sand. If you don't overdo it with the frosting and filling there won't be a lot that can melt, as long as you keep it in a rather shady, cool spot. You could then put little gum paste cactuses on top, which could very easily be kept off the cake and refrigerated until it's ready to serve.

Like this: http://cupcakestakethecake.blogspot.com/2008/08/cactus-cupcakes.html (not my blog, found using GIS)

frankdiabetes
Jan 2, 2010

glucose tolerance test

Pooptron2003 posted:

(buttercreams made with crisco will stay solid at higher temperatures than butter creams made with butter) I prefer butter, but beggars can't be choosers some situations.

Personally, I think Crisco makes gross frosting. If you must use shortening, try and find hi-ratio shortening (brand name Sweetex) in a baking supply shop...you will be amazed at the difference.

SusiePhone
Nov 11, 2008
I dunno if anyone is interested in semi-professional cakes, but my mom makes some awesome poo poo; https://www.janescakes.co.uk (shameless plug because I love my mum and it's mother's day here in the U.K on sunday!)
She made my wedding cake, which has been doing the rounds online. Just click on the 'discworld' link on the main page.
She does these in her kitchen, she doesn't have a team to help her, and she has worked most of it out from scratch (with the help of my dad, who's an engineer!)
If anyone wants info on tecniques or recipes, I can get them from her.

If no-one wants semi-pro, ignore this post! :)

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

SusiePhone posted:

I dunno if anyone is interested in semi-professional cakes, but my mom makes some awesome poo poo; https://www.janescakes.co.uk (shameless plug because I love my mum and it's mother's day here in the U.K on sunday!)
She made my wedding cake, which has been doing the rounds online. Just click on the 'discworld' link on the main page.
She does these in her kitchen, she doesn't have a team to help her, and she has worked most of it out from scratch (with the help of my dad, who's an engineer!)
If anyone wants info on tecniques or recipes, I can get them from her.

If no-one wants semi-pro, ignore this post! :)

Those cakes are amazing. Absolutely amazing. I wish I was that talented. Tell your mother there's a young woman out in Texas who wishes she lived in England again, just so I could beg to work for her.

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
Yay birthday cakes, first ever cake I've made for someone and my first time doing freehand lettering. Three layer sponge cake with Dairy Milk ganache filling and icing and white chocolate lettering.

Vashmaster
Aug 21, 2005
CS IS POPLER 4 A RESUN
Thanks to this thread I managed to make my first attempt at decorating with fondant!

Made for my friend Warren (of course). The writing is a little goofy and the W is a little crooked, but overall I'm pleased with how easy fondant was to work with!

Here's my 2nd fondant cake, just made for fun to take to work:

Just some simple cookie-cutter stars. I love stars!

Aaaandd... the cake guts! One of my coworkers wanted funfetti and rainbow chip (I used the whole can of rainbow chip just for the center layer :|)

Thanks cake thread :D

frankdiabetes
Jan 2, 2010

glucose tolerance test

Vashmaster posted:

Aaaandd... the cake guts! One of my coworkers wanted funfetti and rainbow chip (I used the whole can of rainbow chip just for the center layer :|)

I would be tempted to eat this entire cake myself. They all look great! Did you make your own fondant or use a pre-made kind?

uptown
May 16, 2009
Not really the best photo, but my first attempt at cupcakes/icing!

Vashmaster
Aug 21, 2005
CS IS POPLER 4 A RESUN

frankdiabetes posted:

I would be tempted to eat this entire cake myself. They all look great! Did you make your own fondant or use a pre-made kind?
I used the marshmallow fondant recipe posted by jennyinstereo (it's on page 8 of this thread). It's the only one I've tried so far but it's been perfect for me. I think I added a LOT more powder sugar than the recipe calls for though (just kept adding it until it was manageable and not super sticky). I ended up having to add a lot more sugar to the 2nd batch of fondant I made (for the star cake), but I never really had a problem with cracking.

frankdiabetes
Jan 2, 2010

glucose tolerance test

Vashmaster posted:

I used the marshmallow fondant recipe posted by jennyinstereo

Ah, okay. I've yet to try using marshmallow fondant, I should though as I find many of the various brands lacking. Satin Ice is nice because it comes pre-tinted in colors which is really nice for deep shades like red and black where it's nearly impossible to get the proper shade, but I don't particularly care for the taste. Choco-pan is the best tasting but it can be difficult to use and is expensive.

frankdiabetes fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 13, 2010

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

[rocking faces since the 80s]

Vashmaster posted:

I used the marshmallow fondant recipe posted by jennyinstereo (it's on page 8 of this thread). It's the only one I've tried so far but it's been perfect for me. I think I added a LOT more powder sugar than the recipe calls for though (just kept adding it until it was manageable and not super sticky). I ended up having to add a lot more sugar to the 2nd batch of fondant I made (for the star cake), but I never really had a problem with cracking.

Yeah, sometimes you need to add a lot more sugar. I find that if I screw up on my water measurement (too much or too little) it throws the whole thing off. I also add sugar until I get the consistency I want. I'm so glad you tried it and it was a success! Your cakes look great :)

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

uptown posted:

Not really the best photo, but my first attempt at cupcakes/icing!

Looks like you iced a bit too early when the cupcakes/icing was still too hot.

LikeFunOnlyBoring
Sep 3, 2008
So, I don't post here much, but I follow the thread. I thought I could share my most recent endeavor into cake decorating. I made it for a birthday party, it was a chocolate cinnamon cake with chocolate buttercream frosting, and it was delicious.

It's not my BEST work, as I do need to figure out how to lay fondant on a square cake properly, but I am pretty proud of it.

Amineh
Nov 30, 2003

we're in this together now
After reading this thread I realized that all the cakes I've ever made have been mediocre at best :(

So I tried using fondant for the first time!

When I was making the marshmallow fondant I initially started trying to knead it too early. And it is STICKY. But I found that it draped over the cake really well and I was surprised at how easy it is to mould... like play-doh!

frankdiabetes
Jan 2, 2010

glucose tolerance test
Camping cake for someone who used to work at the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico:

Tent and everything else are gumpaste. Trees are ice cream cones with royal icing.

Menolly
Feb 26, 2006

Burnin' the Heretics
I was looking through old files today, and I found this picture of a Guitar Hero cake I made for a coworker's birthday a couple years ago. It was my first attempt to do anything with fondant- even if it was just the guitars and not the whole cake. Dyeing the fondant that many colors made a nice little mess in my kitchen, if I am remembering correctly.

Please don't mind all of the spatulas and wax paper in the background.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

frankdiabetes posted:

Camping cake for someone who used to work at the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico:

Tent and everything else are gumpaste. Trees are ice cream cones with royal icing.

This is wonderful. I got to go to Philmont as a Scout, so that cake is especially awesome to me.

Vixenella
Mar 24, 2009

tobu posted:

I made some burger cupcakes. I made some with brownies and some with choc-biscuits but I didn't get a chance to get a photo of the brownie ones.

I'm terrible at presentation so hopefully the next batch will be a little better (the one on the right slid over a little)

edit: damnit, that's the wrong size image. :saddowns:

I know this is from awhile back but I just found this thread and I'm curious about these! What did you use for the chocolate pieces?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Vixenella posted:

I know this is from awhile back but I just found this thread and I'm curious about these! What did you use for the chocolate pieces?

Looks like a Thin Mint or other chocolate coated cookie to me.

Vixenella
Mar 24, 2009

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

Looks like a Thin Mint or other chocolate coated cookie to me.

That's what I thought but I was curious if it was some fancy cake thing! I'm not very good at the baking thing!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Vixenella posted:

That's what I thought but I was curious if it was some fancy cake thing! I'm not very good at the baking thing!

For cupcakes like that I seriously doubt it's a fancy cake thing - generally speaking when making novelty cupcakes (like ones in the shape of a hamburger) your average cook doesn't go too crazy with that. You could substitute some chocolate cake or something but yeah I'm about 90% sure that's just a chocolate coated cookie.

tokidoki
Feb 23, 2006

Damn bunnies!
I used to use York Peppermint patties.

Phalex
May 14, 2002

I read this thread way back in September and decided to try making a cake from scratch, with fondant, also from scratch:

Here's the one I made then:

Then another I made in November:

The cake itself is just a simple chocolate cake. As for the designs, I didn't really have one in mind when I starting making them, so they're basically improvised (and hence, really simple). On the second one, I didn't roll out enough fondant to cover the whole thing, so I left part of the icing exposed.

I decided to make them whenever my mom goes out of town, and I go to her house to watch the dogs. I had fun making them, and I owe it to this thread, thanks GWS!

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

[rocking faces since the 80s]

Phalex posted:

I had fun making them, and I owe it to this thread, thanks GWS!

Your cakes look great! I notice shortening and icing sugar... was it MMF? :D I love the blue stripe on your first cake. For your first try, I'd say you nailed it :)

Phalex
May 14, 2002

jennyinstereo posted:

Your cakes look great! I notice shortening and icing sugar... was it MMF? :D I love the blue stripe on your first cake. For your first try, I'd say you nailed it :)

Thanks! I didn't realize was MMF stood for at first. I thought it stood for.... something else. But yes, it was Marshmallow Fondant! I watched a bunch of YouTube videos of people making it, then just copied them. The first cake took forever, because it was extremely messy, and I was taking pictures of every step of the process, which meant I had to wash my hands every few minutes.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
A calculator cake I did up for an accountant friends B-day. Sadly I had to rush the LCD screen and didn't have time to trim the edges of the melted sugar for the pics. Wish I could have used fondant but they wanted a ganash layer instead.

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

frankdiabetes
Jan 2, 2010

glucose tolerance test
Birthday cake for mother-in-law. First time attempting chocolate transfers...sort of an interesting technique but I dislike how messy it is and how stuff can only be done in 2D.

Not my favorite cake by far, but I had a bit of a cake disaster so it turned out all right, all things considered. Plus the "Happy Birthday" plaque never made it to the party as it fell off and broke as I was getting in the car. :argh:

Chezlin
Jun 2, 2005
Mista' Ewok.
Here's a birthday cake I made for my boyfriend's brother:

I didn't have any vodka to mix with the gold powder stuff so I just used some extracts I had... not a very good idea. Those parts were VERY strong. Next time I'll not be lazy and go get more vodka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
All these cakes inspired me to create my own for my 22nd birthday back in January. It was messy(yellow blue and green food colouring everywhere), a last-minute decision, and absolutely hideous, but I loved it, because I made it all myself :3:

(My first ever cake with sparklers on it!)

The cake guts were supposed to be bright blue and orange, but ended up being more of an aqua and peach. The blue layer was vanilla cake, the orange layers were lemon cake, and the green icing was french vanilla. The purple icing was homemade with icing sugar, because the stuff we bought at the store tasted like petroleum product(you can see the bits of scraped-off yellow in some of the pictures). Like I said, it was hideous, but it tasted delicious, and gave me an urge to make better cakes in the future.

• Locked thread