Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
Not at all what I expected for my favorite Lady Gaga song, and I don't really see how the video supports Telephone, but it was awesome in its own right. I don't think I understand it though. That is if there is anything to understand.

Quit the product placement though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Well, that blew my loving mind. Product placement was awkward but meh, the rest of the video absolutely blew my mind.

TIBERIUM!!!! :psypop: :swoon:

edit: Yeh, the video makes no sense to the song but oh well, it was just so outstandingly hilariously awesome that I don't care.

Dr Aldous Huxtable
Oct 6, 2008

by angerbot
Hey is there anywhere that has high-res screens of the video up yet? I want a gagatar but going through the video looking for stuff is too hard because I just want to watch it instead of pausing every few seconds.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Okay, that was probably the best music video I've seen in years. Sunglasses made of burning cigarettes, seriously. Even if the song weren't catchy the sheer audacity of the video would still be enough to make me like it.

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

Jarl posted:

Quit the product placement though.

Part of the message, has been since at least LoveGame. Goofy that more people say this every time. I hope in the next video she wears ads like she's in the Indy 500.

You can argue it's too convenient and was rolled in to the message because of the money, but then that becomes a new argument about how it's intentionally overly blatant because pop music is MADE of selling out, and so she has to buy in to stay alive, kind of like how inspi(RED) charges you $30 for a t shirt. Anyone who bothers to argue past this point is basically refusing to accept someone's explanation of their own artistic vision and is probably not very much fun at parties. Me, I'm gonna go make a motherfucking sandwich because USA IS NUMBER ONE.

Dreamlogic
May 11, 2007

There's a lot to like about the video but what bugs me is Gaga comes across as a bad actress... hopefully her weird line readings were intentional, but I don't get it. What made Bad Romance so great was how well she owned all the different personas, here she feels like she's reading cue cards in the Pussy Wagon scenes.

But love the black and white outfit at the beginning, the Plenty of Fish bit and especially the dancing in the kitchen!

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

sloppo posted:

Part of the message, has been since at least LoveGame. Goofy that more people say this every time. I hope in the next video she wears ads like she's in the Indy 500.

You can argue it's too convenient and was rolled in to the message because of the money, but then that becomes a new argument about how it's intentionally overly blatant because pop music is MADE of selling out, and so she has to buy in to stay alive, kind of like how inspi(RED) charges you $30 for a t shirt. Anyone who bothers to argue past this point is basically refusing to accept someone's explanation of their own artistic vision and is probably not very much fun at parties. Me, I'm gonna go make a motherfucking sandwich because USA IS NUMBER ONE.

I don't have a problem with product placement as such, but when they get to be an eye-soar it's another story. Like the coca cola light's in her hair; those were cool. On the other hand seeing a mobile phone with its keyboard and nothing else going on just seems so artificially attached. There is nothing wrong with product placement, but it is important to do it right, which of course is very hard and differ from case to case.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The Virgin Mobile spot is the only placement that I feel is really out of place and blatant. All the rest are fine or integral.

Wonderbread/Miracle whip is relevant to the diner scene as a whole, I feel.

Diet coke is aesthetic,
The honey bun is name-based, since I think Little Debbie calls them Honey Buns
The polaroid is what it is

I think that's all of them? D&G doesn't really count I guess. The Virgin Mobile is jarring, though.

ToxicWind
May 23, 2006

Impossible! There is no intelligent life form capable of escaping the labyrinth of the multiverse!
I've seriously watched this video like 10 times.

Favorite loving pose of the video, so FIERCE.

Sockser posted:

lol @ GBS making GBS threads it's pants about Gaga

It's seriously like this thread all over again:

quote:

Because her music is going from catchy and sort of interesting (Poker Face, Lovegame) to banal, lovely 90s throwbacks (Bad Romance, this one) in a hurry. Her songwriting was pretty good and her bridges were always the most interesting part of her tunes anyway.

Now her writing's on a serious downturn because she's spending infinitely more time on the bullshit surrounding the tunes than the 5 minutes she took to write the tunes themselves. And it's sad.

quote:

PRODUCT PLACEMENT OH MY GOD
Jesus christ.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I didn't notice any product placement except Polaroid and Coke cans because I don't have a clue what American phone companies logos look like.

Also I think that whining about product placement is rubbish. HOLY CARP DID YOU SEE THAT HE JUST PULLED A loving ORDINARY NOKIA FROM HIS POCKET PRODUCT PLACEMENT

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

Dreamlogic posted:

There's a lot to like about the video but what bugs me is Gaga comes across as a bad actress...

This is like SOMEONE, I think from a Tarantino movie, but I can't remember who or what it was and it's driving me nuts. The whole, speaking stilted, looking past/through everything. I want to say Mia Wallace but I don't think she took it that far.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The bride, or the cyclops girl from Kill Bill would both fit the (heh) bill

Sgt Karate Chop
Feb 28, 2008

Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

Dreamlogic posted:

There's a lot to like about the video but what bugs me is Gaga comes across as a bad actress... hopefully her weird line readings were intentional, but I don't get it. What made Bad Romance so great was how well she owned all the different personas, here she feels like she's reading cue cards in the Pussy Wagon scenes.

But love the black and white outfit at the beginning, the Plenty of Fish bit and especially the dancing in the kitchen!

It's the same kind of performance she used in the Candy Warhol shorts except she played it up even more in those, so it's def intentional.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I know Marcus, the owner of Plenty Of Fish. If I remember I'll email him this weekend and ask if he paid for the spot in the vid.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
March is the best month, first we have a new Lady GaGa video, and in two weeks Just Cause 2 is getting released.

And holy poo poo that part in the diner where everyone dies, the countdown. If you've been following promo photos you just knew what was coming up, and it made it so much more awesome.

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 12, 2010

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I saw that lesbian that walked over to start making out with Gaga in the exercise yard and all I could think was "man, Tarantino lent them the Pussy Wagon and Buscemi"

Mrs. Mahler
Mar 8, 2006
Why a duck?

HookShot posted:

I know Marcus, the owner of Plenty Of Fish. If I remember I'll email him this weekend and ask if he paid for the spot in the vid.

I dunno, did you see the lady using the site? It seemed like it was commentary on the type of people who use that site and it wouldn't be something I'd pay for. But who knows?

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

sloppo posted:

This is like SOMEONE, I think from a Tarantino movie, but I can't remember who or what it was and it's driving me nuts. The whole, speaking stilted, looking past/through everything. I want to say Mia Wallace but I don't think she took it that far.

Yeah, there was a lot of this in Kill Bill, it was probably intentional.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
you think lady gaga is selling out for the product place i don't know what to tell you because she's basically just doing the same thing warhol did

also this video owns and works for gaga's music too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKdDbktVKUI

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mrs. Mahler posted:

I dunno, did you see the lady using the site? It seemed like it was commentary on the type of people who use that site and it wouldn't be something I'd pay for. But who knows?

Yeah I doubt it too for sure, but confirmation is always good.

Goobers For Guts
Jul 17, 2007
GaGa is NOT my style of music. But I had a pal who admitted that he was into her and it seemed so out of place. So, hey, let me check this artist out on youtube. See what the hell he is talking about.

First 'Let's Dance'. Ok, pretty pop, not my groove at all. 'Love game' More poppy, hey, shes kinda hot. 'Paparazzi'....Oh my god.....'Bad Romance' Holy poo poo! Watch everything live that is available, buy the album. Go Hog Wild!!!!

So all my friends think I have lost my mind now.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
So a question, this new video is in 1080p quality, which is awesome. Did she release any more videos in that quality? Can't find anything on the official youtube channel.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Great video. Although I still enjoy Bad Romance and Paparazzi more, this one was definitely just more fun. I think the biggest problem I had was that the acting parts really broke the rhythm of the song. I have no problem with the product placement. Polaroid actually makes sense.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
Awesome video, almost goes without saying.

I'm gaga for Gaga.

Irilly Dunnoe
Jan 13, 2010

But when turning her head at an extreme angle fails to produce a life-altering epiphany, she usually just short-circuits and rolls on her back.
It's rather funny how people keep bitching and ranting about product placement in Telephone when it's obviously meant to be a mockery of American pop music culture. Congratulations, you are being trolled. This video isn't just about being over-the-top in its references to Tarantino films, or in wild costumes (see also: phone made of hair), it's a distinct mockery of how much product placement in music, movies, and television has taken hold.

Gaga has stated from day one that her art always has a message, a reason. The Kermit dress was a statement against the fur industry, her VMA performance of Paparazzi was a very distinct statement about the role of fame in the deaths of celebrities, so on and so forth. There is nothing subtle about most of the product placements in this video, and it's entirely intentional.

I'll probably be shot for referencing it, but the (godawful) Josie and the Pussycats movie had one redeeming quality in its hilariously intentional over-the-top product placements and the statement made about how celebrity sells. Though Telephone doesn't get anywhere near as ridiculous as that terrible piece of crap with the brands, logos, and products, there are still distinct icons where generic-looking logos, or hell, even Gaga's own made-up brands would have just as easily sufficed. (Just think of how memorable the Big Kahuna Burger in Tarantino's films is. After all, I hear they have some TASTY burgers.)

As always with Gaga, it's all artfully done, you're MEANT to notice these things, nothing in her presentation is ever accidental.

Edit: Completely ran off my train of thought and neglected to rant about the obvious imagery with the American flags, but I'm pretty sure that speaks for itself.

Irilly Dunnoe fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 12, 2010

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007
Holy poo poo. Amazing. Not at all what I expected, but what an awesome video. I think I like Bad Romance better overall, but both videos are great.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I don't know what I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting hilarious. Seriously, that poo poo was a riot.

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

Personally I hope they wait to continue the story of the video for a single off her next album. What was cool about watching Paparazzi and Telephone is seeing how much her style and in a way her music has changed. Plus I like the idea of a trilogy of videos based off he first 3 albums.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Kat McDee posted:

It's rather funny how people keep bitching and ranting about product placement in Telephone when it's obviously meant to be a mockery of American pop music culture. Congratulations, you are being trolled. This video isn't just about being over-the-top in its references to Tarantino films, or in wild costumes (see also: phone made of hair), it's a distinct mockery of how much product placement in music, movies, and television has taken hold.

I'm not bitching about the product placement (it's a music video, I don't care), but just because Gaga does it, why does it automatically becomes social commentary? I don't think the product placement of things like her headphones in this video or the Alexander McQueen dress and shoes is in any way a "mockery" of product placement in other videos. More than likely she's interested in shilling her headphones and/or received the McQueen outfit free of charge as a sample to use in the video. Good for her, but is it ironic?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

NicelyNice posted:

I'm not bitching about the product placement (it's a music video, I don't care), but just because Gaga does it, why does it automatically becomes social commentary? I don't think the product placement of things like her headphones in this video or the Alexander McQueen dress and shoes is in any way a "mockery" of product placement in other videos. More than likely she's interested in shilling her headphones and/or received the McQueen outfit free of charge as a sample to use in the video. Good for her, but is it ironic?

Exactly. How ironic is it if indeed she's getting money/goods/promotion in exchange for it?

Commentary on product placement is one thing, but the lingering, framed product shots belied this, were really distracting, jarring, and ultimately had a negative effect on the impact of the video.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

How do you people remember product placement when she was jumping at the bars with taped nipples and no panties?

Oh my god she's selling out HERSELF MAN

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Shes Not Impressed posted:

How do you people remember product placement when she was jumping at the bars with taped nipples and no panties?

Oh my god she's selling out HERSELF MAN

"It's interesting to see how Americana is woven into the video at various..."

"Dude, did you see how hot that one chick was?!!"

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

"It's interesting to see how Americana is woven into the video at various..."

"Dude, did you see how hot that one chick was?!!"

Has a man ever impersonated a woman in order to be committed to a female only prison like that? I'd like to sign up.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Exactly. How ironic is it if indeed she's getting money/goods/promotion in exchange for it?

Commentary on product placement is one thing, but the lingering, framed product shots belied this, were really distracting, jarring, and ultimately had a negative effect on the impact of the video.

Since Lady Gaga is all about complete and total embrace of pop culture, which is itself completely commercialized and corporate, I don't think the product shots detract from the aesthetic. The commentary here isn't that the product placement is ironic; it's that it's completely unironic.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

tractor fanatic posted:

Since Lady Gaga is all about complete and total embrace of pop culture, which is itself completely commercialized and corporate, I don't think the product shots detract from the aesthetic. The commentary here isn't that the product placement is ironic; it's that it's completely unironic.

I understand what you mean, but I personally don't think you can both embrace and comment on pop culture. To offer commmentary, one must stand back and hold out (at a distance) what is being commented on. I suppose we can debate on the distance involved.

It's one thing to unabashedly jump into pop culture and assume the typcial archetypes (and to do this very, very well), but I don't think it's "commentary" to do so. To my way of thinking it's either one or the other.

I think the blatant callbacks to various Tarantino movies, Michael Jackson dance moves and other audio-visual memes indicate the video is intended to be both an homage and commentary. My point is that the commentary suffers when she goes about a portion of it hypocritically ("Look how ridiculous product placement has become in our culture" *signs agreement with Nokia*)

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

I think the blatant callbacks to various Tarantino movies, Michael Jackson dance moves and other audio-visual memes indicate the video is intended to be both an homage and commentary. My point is that the commentary suffers when she goes about a portion of it hypocritically ("Look how ridiculous product placement has become in our culture" *signs agreement with Nokia*)

She got you talking about the merits of product placement in videos AND she gets to cash all those corporate checks and plow them back into creating subversive art.

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

The Remote Viewer posted:

She got you talking about the merits of product placement in videos AND she gets to cash all those corporate checks and plow them back into creating subversive art.

This. I think that's exactly what she's doing. I could really care less about product placement because she needs all the money she can get to keep funding all this poo poo. Who knows, she could sign a deal with a company and use the money to make something even crazier than living dresses and giant fish monsters for her shows. I mean when you think about it, how ridiculous is it to shill for Wonder Bread and Miracle Whip in a video that has tranny prison guards? If anything product placement in a video with crazy poo poo to me makes the video even more WTF. I will admit the Virgin Mobile poo poo was kind of weir but they are sponsering her tour and the song is called Telephone so really it's not that bad. Also if you go to her shows, she ha a video she plays before the show saying how she and Virgin Mobile have a deal where you can donate money to homeless charities and she will match it so I'm sur she's thankful to them for their help.

F.F. Woodycooks fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 12, 2010

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I'm pretty sure Lady Gaga's whole concept is to follow the path of corporate commodification that other pop-stars (eg. Britney Spears) have gone down, but to make it serve her instead of the other way around.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Those are all good points. I just haven't picked up on the wink to the audience in the video to indicate it's anything beyond shilling.

I'd go on about the type of products that appear and how they're used to further the video's message (and how some hurt it), but I fear I'm getting annoying at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Those are all good points. I just haven't picked up on the wink to the audience in the video to indicate it's anything beyond shilling.
Miracle Whip.

• Locked thread