Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Already Bored posted:

Nathan from The Gossip

haha, yeah, Nathan likes Sonic Youth :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I shot my second show ever this past Saturday at the House of Blues in Chicago. Through my diplomatic skills and due to the fact that I had worked with the headliner in the past, I was able to show up 15 minutes before doors open and sweet-talk my way into a full-blown photo pass. I could go wherever I wanted in the venue and ended up hanging out with the bands in the green room all night.

The amount of fun I had that night pretty much convinced me that I need to do this poo poo more often. Got paid too!

I cracked up when I saw how the bassist looks like he is wearing a Jason mask. Thanks highlights!

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
Has anyone tried to use a Mono-pod and a Shutter Release together to get some crazy "From the lights" angles? I'm wonder if it's worth the purchase of a monopod to try since I don't know anyone that has one I can borrow. Seems like it might get some pretty cool shots with it.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

AtomicManiac posted:

Has anyone tried to use a Mono-pod and a Shutter Release together to get some crazy "From the lights" angles? I'm wonder if it's worth the purchase of a monopod to try since I don't know anyone that has one I can borrow. Seems like it might get some pretty cool shots with it.

Get the REI Walkingstick/monopod thing for $40-50. It does double duty, so you'll never feel bad about buying one or the other provide you use it for at least one of the task.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
Hmm.. Worth a shot.

On a side note, has anyone ever shot Mastodon? If so, who did you contact for a photo pass? I emailed their MGMT but didn't get anything back. Between the Buried and Me gave me one, so at least I'm inside, but I emailed their PR firm. Mastodon doesn't list their PR firm and google isn't turning anything up. Any leads? The poster doesn't say who is promoting it, so I could go to the booking agents for Mastdon? I don't really know what to do here...

E: If I get permission from one band's PR do I need permission from the rest of them? I mean I already have the pass, they didn't mention any stipulations in the email, but I imagine they'll discuss that the day of.

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 12, 2010

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I shot Mastodon in November, I'll see if I can dig up who I got my pass from.

Edit: Ack, I actually got it through Dethklok, so no help there. Let me see if I can dig up a contact for you though. Typically you only need one band though. It's rare that I've actually HAD to have approval from each band. Usually it depends on the venue. Also when you're there never act like you think you can't shoot a band. Just do it. If you have a pass on, no one really questions you.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 13, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

AtomicManiac posted:

I used a monopod and timer mode to get some shots over a crowd once. A shutter release would have been better so I could have focused and shot whenever I wanted instead of pre-focusing and timer shooting.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

rockcity posted:

I shot Mastodon in November, I'll see if I can dig up who I got my pass from.

Edit: Ack, I actually got it through Dethklok, so no help there. Let me see if I can dig up a contact for you though. Typically you only need one band though. It's rare that I've actually HAD to have approval from each band. Usually it depends on the venue. Also when you're there never act like you think you can't shoot a band. Just do it. If you have a pass on, no one really questions you.

Hmm alright. It's a smallish venue and I've never actually seen a photographer infront of the gate, though a contact from the local paper says it's a great place to shoot. Maybe because it's a pretty good line of site everywhere you stand. As long as I'm in the building with my camera (and a rented 70-200 2.8 lens) I think I should be able to grab at least a few okay shots.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Fingers crossed, I think I've managed to blag A Silver Mt Zion, Why? and The Album Leaf next week. Also seeing but not shooting Mono. Hell of a week.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Also seeing but not shooting Mono.

I'm taking my camera to the Brudenell Social Club in Leeds, so I'll do my best :)

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Blah. Christian Martin from Dirtybird/Mothership. A San Francisco DJ I'd never heard of comes to Dallas, and somebody somewhere gives the promoters my name to shoot it.

Of course, they wanted light trails.

http://photos.tfatf.com/#/album/f0b79o/

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Cyberbob posted:

A selection of my favs from the Jim Beam Homegrown 2010 festival in Wellington, New Zealand. Sorry if it's too many :]

Holy poo poo, I didn't know Tim Allen had a band.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Jenny Owen Youngs at IOTA in Arlington, VA. Canon 5d * 85mm f/1.8

Edit: Image huge, sorry.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
Finally got to experience The Flaming Lips last night. Utterly ridiculous and so so good.

The set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/m_bradshaw/sets/72157623619629318/

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Wednesday it was announced that we get the Flaming Lips here on May 14th. I hope can get pictures half as good as what you got.

Harvest of Hope happened here last weekend. 200 bands and I think each band brought 3 photographers. It was the most crowded photo pits that I have even seen. Fun, but hard work getting shots. The highlight for me was seeing 7 Seconds play. However, the chick in the photo pit drinking the PRB sticking her camera around in wacky odd angles, standing right in front of the singer and talking on the phone saying 'yeah, I am up here in the photo pit, do you see me? This is so cool' sort of ruined it for me.

Aretha Franklin played here last night. We got only one song and the managment didn't want to make her mad, so they put us to the side. Of course 45 second before the song ended they grabbed us and said we could shoot from a runway. I never got my settings right before we had to quit. No respect from that chain of fools.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

I, Butthole posted:

Australia, Paris and NYC...Hobo Gestapo? That's pretty cool if I'm right :)

Do you guys have anyone up in Brisbane at the moment? I'm looking at doing event photography, right now I'm shooting through FasterLouder, but I'd kill to do some more portraiture and such rather than just concerts.

Hey quick question, If I wanted to shoot for FasterLouder, who's a good person to contact, rather than just the info@fasterlouder address or similar.

cheers

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/about#contribute is how I got in.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Cyberbob posted:

Hey quick question, If I wanted to shoot for FasterLouder, who's a good person to contact, rather than just the info@fasterlouder address or similar.

cheers

Pretty much what Psylent said. Don't expect to jump in and start shooting the big names right away though; that's probably the biggest thing to realise. Start local, and do good prompt work and it'll help; I only started contributing in October last year. I treat it exactly like I would a paying job; be prompt and professional about it. I generally get galleries updated the same night, at latest the next day, and shoot heaps of local shows (did a run of 4 nights in a row, Phoenix, Calexico, Black Bear Woods and Spinnerette. Was trashed after that), and now I'm doing Bluesfest and I'm hoping to be in the running for Splendour, so I won't be slowing down.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Cheers.

Is there any middle steps to take between signing up for a new profile, and adding a new photo album? Does it then get published if good enough etc?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Cyberbob posted:

Cheers.

Is there any middle steps to take between signing up for a new profile, and adding a new photo album? Does it then get published if good enough etc?
Go to fasterlouder staff parties and make friends, that will help. If you're friends with the people who allocate the gigs you'll get the best ones.

Yes, I'm a bit jaded by the whole experience, I'm a bit over shooting for free.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cyberbob posted:

Cheers.

You can only submit a gallery or article when you're a contributor, and all the galleries are moderated. You need to sign up for the site, then submit an application to be a contributor. Once you're a contrib you can submit stuff, but they generally won't put unsolicited stuff up on the site. But you can always email your local state editor first and tell them you're going to a show if it's not on the mailout and are going to shoot it, and they might put it up.

toppro
Jun 19, 2006
Is there something like FasterLouder for those of us here in the States?

Edit: SXSW just wrapped up so I'll toss up a few from that.

toppro fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 22, 2010

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
So I just got a job as a "contributing photographer" for a local weekly newspaper.

How do I parlay this into a photo pass, exactly? The guy I talk to is the editor of the paper, and he pays me per photo he runs. I have never met him.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Email/call him saying "XXX is coming to town, can we organise a media pass for me?"

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

dunkman posted:

So I just got a job as a "contributing photographer" for a local weekly newspaper.

How do I parlay this into a photo pass, exactly? The guy I talk to is the editor of the paper, and he pays me per photo he runs. I have never met him.

That or see if you can score an @Localweeklynewspaper.com mail address and you can do it yourself.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Somehow, while shooting Mono, I managed to do this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elmarko/4451254973/in/set-72157623540943109/

The rest of the set is... fair to middling, the light was awful and I couldn't focus properly. No flash restrictions so I ended up using my drat on camera flash with lovely results.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elmarko/sets/72157623540943109/

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

toppro posted:

Is there something like FasterLouder for those of us here in the States?

For non-Aussies, FasterLouder is just a large music webiste devoted (mostly) to "rock" music (pretty much just not dance stuff) that features galleries from gigs using unpaid contribs. It's not some amazing repository of photo passes.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
:woop: I just got asked if I wanted to shoot a concert. She asked whether I charged for my photography or not so obviously I want to try and charge. I'm currently finding out what kind of concert it is etc but I guess its not in the greatest of venues and shes only 18 so I guess she doesn't have much money either.

So what kinda pricing should I be looking at here? Keeping in mind I did some portraits for her friend for free and thats how she knows about me. Since shes just 18 and probably doesn't have much money I was thinking about offering free photos with watermarks to get my name out there, or $100 if she wants the photos without watermarks.

This would also be my first concert and my first paid gig. I currently have a D200 with 50mm 1.8, kit lens, sigma 70-300 and a lovely manual flash - I guess this is a pretty bad setup and I would be much better with a 35 1.8 + ttl flash, or will I be fine with a 50mm? theres a small possibility I can get a small TTL flash like an sb-600 or would I be better off getting a 35 1.8 and trying to diffuse the oncamera flash?

edit: gently caress it i will need a TTL flash im 100% sure, will the sb-600 be enough, or do i need more?

fenner fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 24, 2010

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

600's fine. Most venues won't let you flash anyway. I don't know if that's possible on the sb-600, but on my 900 I mostly turn off the head and use it for AF assist.

Depending on the light I shoot gigs either 70/30 between my 17-50 and the 85 1.8, or replace the zoom with a 30 1.4 if the light's terrible. Try to take a look at the venue lighting before your shoot: if the light's good enough to shoot around f/2-f/2.8 get the 35mm, otherwise get the flash.

Pricing would depend on usage, so figure out what she wants pictures for.

Comedy option: push delta 400 to 800-1600 with your 50mm, profit.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

600's fine. Most venues won't let you flash anyway. I don't know if that's possible on the sb-600, but on my 900 I mostly turn off the head and use it for AF assist.

Depending on the light I shoot gigs either 70/30 between my 17-50 and the 85 1.8, or replace the zoom with a 30 1.4 if the light's terrible. Try to take a look at the venue lighting before your shoot: if the light's good enough to shoot around f/2-f/2.8 get the 35mm, otherwise get the flash.

Pricing would depend on usage, so figure out what she wants pictures for.

Comedy option: push delta 400 to 800-1600 with your 50mm, profit.

Most venues don't allow flash :ohdear: that sounds like it would be hard to get the results I had in mind.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

fenner posted:

Most venues don't allow flash :ohdear: that sounds like it would be hard to get the results I had in mind.

Ask the venue and ask the band to see if they don't mind you setting stuff up. I've used a flash a few times in a few venues, and while most of the bigger clubs and arenas get pissy, most smaller venues don't mind. Just clear it with everyone involved first.

I just received my 5D Mark 2, Tokina 11-16 and 70-200 F4 IS in prep for Bluesfest in a coupla weeks. Is it wrong that I like the heavy vignette and circular fisheye effect of the 11-16 on full frame and plan to use that with smaller shows because fisheye always seems too scene :ohdear:

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Oh god, apparently its a school kids concert - my dreams of energetic concert photos are ruined. I should probably just do this for the sake of doing it though.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

fenner posted:

Oh god, apparently its a school kids concert - my dreams of energetic concert photos are ruined. I should probably just do this for the sake of doing it though.

You might be getting paid, and it's your first concert or whatever. While it's lame it's at a school, I'd do it as it's a learning experience.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

I don't mean to whine but the only thing that irks me about band photography is waiting for the bands to turn up.
I'm sitting in a pub by myself like a lemon waiting for people to arrive. Once things kick off I know it'll be alright, till then it's time for another pint and more forum browsing.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Yay, the 1D Mark IV is here. I'll be shooting a large music fest this weekend- pretty stoked. Also picked up a 16-35 2.8 for it, too.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Eeek posted:

Yay, the 1D Mark IV is here. I'll be shooting a large music fest this weekend- pretty stoked. Also picked up a 16-35 2.8 for it, too.

I hate you so, so, so much.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Tincans posted:

I don't mean to whine but the only thing that irks me about band photography is waiting for the bands to turn up.
I'm sitting in a pub by myself like a lemon waiting for people to arrive. Once things kick off I know it'll be alright, till then it's time for another pint and more forum browsing.

You browse the forums in a bar? :reject:

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

HPL posted:

I hate you so, so, so much.

I'll say this- I've played aroud with the II and the III, but this is by far the best camera I have ever used. I hate me right now, too.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

You browse the forums in a bar? :reject:
Easy enough to do from a phone.

If I don't have a friend or other random photographers to chat with I usually read an eBook on my phone if I'm waiting by myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
No mention of Jim Marshall's passing in this thread?

Check out his stuff (99.9% you've already some of it), truly iconic.

http://www.marshallphoto.com/collection