Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rhuagh
Apr 27, 2008

Mithaldu posted:

You should read my post again. And the post he quoted. And maybe the post that one referred to.

I didn't say it right but I was agreeing with you but also stating that I prefer non-smoothed scrolling even for large walls of text rather than auto scroll because I have become accustomed to it.

Anunnaki posted:

I don't understand that, you're talking about like 30 milliseconds per scroll action; you make it sound as if it moved down in slow motion or something. I'm not trying to convince you to use smooth scrolling, but I'm just trying to understand the logic here. :confused:

Mithaldu said it best earlier on, open a massive document/web page and scroll down as fast your mouse wheel can go. The smooth scrolling lags and once you turn it off you start to get used to noticing the instant scrolling even on small pages and documents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

rhuagh posted:

Mithaldu said it best earlier on, open a massive document/web page and scroll down as fast your mouse wheel can go. The smooth scrolling lags and once you turn it off you start to get used to noticing the instant scrolling even on small pages and documents.

Oh, okay. I personally just drag the scrollbar down if the page is huge, because that's much faster than rolling the mouse wheel a million times; but I guess it just comes down to personal preference. v:shobon:v

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

For me, I like the smooth scrolling better. Maybe I'm just used to it as I never turned it off before, or maybe it's that I'm on a laptop with a trackpad, including the scroll column on the right side.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Well, the current RC is using only half a gig of memory instead of the slightly-over 1 gig that 10.5 release was using, so I guess those "memory improvements" added in this build are pretty significant.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Anunnaki posted:

I don't understand that, you're talking about like 30 milliseconds per scroll action; you make it sound as if it moved down in slow motion or something.
To my reading speed it actually feels that way. :)

Anunnaki posted:

Oh, okay. I personally just drag the scrollbar down if the page is huge, because that's much faster than rolling the mouse wheel a million times; but I guess it just comes down to personal preference. v:shobon:v
I find the middle mouse pan is the best method for doing that. I use scrolling when i'm looking for "something" in a big page that i cannot ctrl+f for, so i have to manually scan the text for the bit I'm looking for.

rhuagh posted:

I didn't say it right but I was agreeing with you but also stating that I prefer non-smoothed scrolling even for large walls of text rather than auto scroll because I have become accustomed to it.
Ah, sorry, i misunderstood your intent then. Seemed to me like you were disagreeing with a misinterpretation.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Lakitu7 posted:

Well, the current RC is using only half a gig of memory instead of the slightly-over 1 gig that 10.5 release was using, so I guess those "memory improvements" added in this build are pretty significant.

Do you have the memory cache set to "automatic"? If you think Opera is using too much memory, change that to something fixed.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Yeah, I realize. It's not so much "Opera is using too much memory" as "I'm curious to see how effective their tweaks are."

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Opera 10.5 final is simply the best browser I have ever used. loving lovely.

Seduced Milkman
Aug 26, 2007

Oui Milou, c'est quelque chose d'horrible.
Opera 10.51 RC2 for Windows

quote:

Here is a second 10.51 Release Candidate for Windows. A few small stability fixes have been added, and we fixed a problem with Chinese text being rotated for some users.

As always, let us know if you discover any regressions or other major issues. We'll resume with Mac and UNIX snapshots after the Windows 10.51 release.

drat, I neeeeed a UNIX final version :mad:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Seduced Milkman posted:

drat, I neeeeed a UNIX final version :mad:

I'm waiting too, but I'm happy to let the Windows users work out the bugs first :)

Tikki
Aug 13, 2007
Life is too short for... No. Life is just too short!
Anyone else getting constant crashes on certain sites with the Mac beta?
Specifically Gizmodo crashes it every time.

Version: 10.50 Beta
Build: 8291

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Google Docs still doesn't open and this time I got a crash report immediately upon opening the first time. I would love to get rid of my 10.10 installation but it's not happening yet

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Honestly, all Chinese characters being rotated 90 degrees "on some systems" is a pretty hilarious bug.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Just to clarify, backing up wand.dat is not enough to backup your wand passwords.

If you have a master password set, you also need to backup certificate files. It seems like opcert6.dat is probably the relevant one.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
RC3 is out, though it's pretty unexciting if you already have RC2
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/03/18/opera-10-51-rc3-for-windows#comments

quote:

Fixed CARAKAN-1187 (Crash when scrolling page)
Fixed CARAKAN-1191 (Date pickers on several travel sites fail)

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Edit: apologies for this post, turned out to be a case of PEBKAC.

Jolan fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 20, 2010

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Farts Domino posted:

Google Docs still doesn't open and this time I got a crash report immediately upon opening the first time. I would love to get rid of my 10.10 installation but it's not happening yet

Apart from uploading, 10.5 works on google docs for me.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
New Opera 10.51 UNIX snapshot with packages. There is also a complementary blog post about the UNIX packages.

quote:

Highlights
  • Completely New Packages

Known Issues
  • Packaging: No desktop integration for users of old Desktop Environments on non deb/rpm distros
  • Packaging: Extra unneeded GTK libraries get installed on some distros
  • Packaging: Removal of 'prefix'/'DESTDIR' install script options
  • Font problems
  • Language input issues
  • No KDE integration (yet)
  • Problem with address field drop down position under non compositing Window Managers
  • Black drop down menus for some KDE3 users
  • Black border around Ctrl+Tab dialog when running under compositing Window Managers
  • Some command line options don't work

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Opera 10.51 for Windows is now final.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's see if they managed to fix up behavior in high load situations on this one.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
New version is nice. Had to turn off the tab animation and windows 7 taskbar integration, but otherwise it seems nice.

For once I can actually use the default theme too instead of using the old Opera 7 one.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Hrm, still fucks up when loading my session. Some tabs end up frozen with the urls they were loading even blocked in other tabs.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Just in case people miss it, this build is the same as RC3.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Today I upgraded my work computer (Windows 2000) from 10.10 to 10.51, and I'm still having the same problem with Google Maps that I've had since at least 9.63, but only on this computer.

Suppose I search an address in Google, and then click Maps. The map will load, to a point, and then will eventually show "Still loading... Slow? Use the troubleshooting guide or basic HTML." I can make this happen immediately if I click on the map.

Also, how do you save images in Opera Mini?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Also, some image pages (e.g. waffleimages.com/*.jpg) will load, but then the image disappears and I'm left with a white page. Also happens on photobucket.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Anybody else having problems accessing yahoo.com since upgrading?

Mine is frozen at Waiting for DNS confirmation of cookie domains(s)...

- edit Also is there some way to turn off previous searches in the search bar?

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 22, 2010

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just checked one of my yahoo.com emails, worked fine for me from start to finish.

Bruce Johnston is (was?) the dean of students at my alma mater, why are you creeping him?

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Anyone getting this/know how to fix it? basically all the preferences stuff is unreadable since the text is in white:

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
If it's an Upgrade install, try a clean one (ie rename the profile folder temporarily) and see if that fixes it. Probably it will. They rushed 9.5 out the door and upgrade-compatibility suffered a bit.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Does anyone know what to do about having a bookmarks collection from the alpha/beta and one for the final version and wanting to merge them?

Bookmark sync either does not support this or does not work for some reason.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sporadic posted:

Anybody else having problems accessing yahoo.com since upgrading?

Mine is frozen at Waiting for DNS confirmation of cookie domains(s)...

- edit Also is there some way to turn off previous searches in the search bar?

Man, now all I want to know is what search engine you're using that you've got to censor it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

sm8000 posted:

Just checked one of my yahoo.com emails, worked fine for me from start to finish.

Bruce Johnston is (was?) the dean of students at my alma mater, why are you creeping him?

That's strange, I restarted and now I can access Yahoo. :iiam:

Bruce Johnston is also one of the Beach Boys. He wrote the song, Tears In The Morning, for their 1970 album, Sunflower. I was curious to see if he had any solo work :)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 22, 2010

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
God I hate Opera now... been using it for like 10 years but this latest auto-update seemed to have hosed up everything :argh:

Where's my close tab X (usually in the top right corner right below the main program X) :(

:argh: :argh: :argh:

Hirez fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 22, 2010

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Hirez posted:

Where's my close tab X (usually in the top right corner right below the main program X) :(

Take it as a sign to learn more comfortable ways. :)

Right-click, pull down, right, let go. Alternatively, middle-click tab.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Mithaldu posted:

Take it as a sign to learn more comfortable ways. :)

Right-click, pull down, right, let go. Alternatively, middle-click tab.

Alternatively alternatively Ctrl + W.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Hirez posted:

God I hate Opera now... been using it for like 10 years but this latest auto-update seemed to have hosed up everything :argh:

At least I am not the only one anymore, even if I have gotten used to this over the past week.

The glitch where all my bookmarks disappear if I back them up is pretty nasty though! Takes a reboot to fix it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Well, 10.51 fixed the issues I have with middle clicking! Really happy with it now.

e. False alarm, it didn't remove all my settings from before and it had the main bar enabled still. :(

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 23, 2010

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Manky posted:

Man, now all I want to know is what search engine you're using that you've got to censor it.
It's probably xtube. It's always xtube.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Hirez posted:

Anyone getting this/know how to fix it? basically all the preferences stuff is unreadable since the text is in white:

I had the exact same problem with the autoupdater upgrade. I uninstalled and performed a fresh install. I just backed up my bookmark and speeddial files. Seemed to fix the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

sm8000 posted:

Also, some image pages (e.g. waffleimages.com/*.jpg) will load, but then the image disappears and I'm left with a white page. Also happens on photobucket.

This is really bugging me :(