Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Irisi posted:

If you're in the UK you can buy this "Boys' Adventure" novel set from Penguin, which has what most folk would consider all the classics of the genre: http://www.penguin.co.uk/static/cs/uk/0/penguin_sets/classic_boysadventures.html

If you can't get the set, try and at least find "The 39 Steps" by Buchan, "The Lost World" by Conan Doyle and "She" by Rider Haggard.

I'd also recommend "Kim" by Rudyard Kipling, which is inexplicably missing from that set.

That's fantastic. I am in the UK so that's ideal. Even though I've already read a couple of those, I think I'll order that set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ISUCHARESLOLO
Dec 10, 2005

The verb "to google" has come to mean "to perform a Web search", usually with the Google search engine.
I just finished reading lunar park by bret easton ellis and am looking for something similar to his style of writing. Any suggestions?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

KillRoy posted:

I'd really like to get into another Fantasy series. I love ASOIF, I just finished all the "Blade Itself" books, the Night Angel Trilogy a few of the Malazon Books although I didn't really care for the series.

I don't care if it's "realistic" ala ASOIF or crazy outlandish, I just want a good series that I can sink my teeth into.

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. Its a 9 book series (that is sadly better in the beginning) that I think you'd enjoy.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.
:ohdear: I'm not proud of this but I'd love to read some fiction involving voodoo/the supernatural preferably in New Orleans. Think Gabriel Knight or (if anybody has read the odd Doctor Who novel) The City of the Dead. There's a particular Lovecraft story I've in mind too but I can't think of the title just now. Dudes in a swamp coming across a Cthulhu (or related elder god) cult.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

dokmo posted:

Also recommended to me was William Shirer's classic The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Haven't read it but it seems to have maintained a high critical opinion despite being 50 years old.

I've read this. It's a dry read, but if there's anything you want to know about the European front (and everything that led to Hitler's rise to power and war), it's essential.

Shirer's other books (Berlin Diary, The Nightmare Years) are also good. They're memoirs of his years living and reporting from Berlin in the late 30's and into the first year or so of the war.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've been getting into the Jack Reacher novels, and I'd love some recommendations for similar thrillers - unrealistically badass ex-military or ex-cop main characters getting caught up in things is good. If there's a decent sci-fi equivalent, I'd be interested in that as well, but someone recommended me Neal Asher's Ian Cormac books for that and I couldn't really get into Gridlinked at all.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Leovinus posted:

I've been getting into the Jack Reacher novels, and I'd love some recommendations for similar thrillers - unrealistically badass ex-military or ex-cop main characters getting caught up in things is good.

I've been looking for similar books as well. The trouble is, most thrillers are about vulnerable people unwittingly getting themselves in trouble, and the resolution is about them finding inner reserves of strength to extricate themselves from the predicament. Reacher is of course invincible, which removes a lot of the tension.

The fun in the Reacher books, at least for me, is the solutions he comes up with, not so much the inevitable rear end-kickings he dishes out. I've never really found another book that balances the rear end-kicking with a McGyver-like problem solving aspect.

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW
If someone could offer something similar to Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer, in that it helps put life in perspective, I would appreciate it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I've read a lot of really serious books lately and need something light and humorous. I've heard great things about P.G. Wodehouse but haven't read anything of his yet, any suggestions on where to start?

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

Daveski posted:

I've read a lot of really serious books lately and need something light and humorous. I've heard great things about P.G. Wodehouse but haven't read anything of his yet, any suggestions on where to start?

It really doesn't matter. The characters overlap between series and it's not strictly necessary to read them in any kind of order. I like the Blandings and Psmith books; I started with them. The Jeeves books are more famous and a good place to start.

He wrote a lot of short stories so you can always start there.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
Earlier today my sister asked me to help her recommend a book for one of her friends.

He's 20, likes sports (especially baseball) and music ranging from Metallica to Modest Mouse, and has ADD (shocking, I know). He's never been a reader before, and asked her to help him find a starting point, but has no idea of what he would like. The only direction he provided is that he wants a book that's not too long (thinking a cap of 200 or so pages), not too-detail laden but still exciting, and with a good plot-twist/surprise ending. He read a bit of Poe in high school and enjoyed it, for what it's worth.

As a general rule, I recommend 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman to anyone who likes fairy tales and mythology, but since he doesn't have a reader's history I'm afraid he would miss many of the references that made the book so enjoyable to me.

Help?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Hopes Fall posted:

Earlier today my sister asked me to help her recommend a book for one of her friends.

He's 20, likes sports (especially baseball) and music ranging from Metallica to Modest Mouse, and has ADD (shocking, I know). He's never been a reader before, and asked her to help him find a starting point, but has no idea of what he would like. The only direction he provided is that he wants a book that's not too long (thinking a cap of 200 or so pages), not too-detail laden but still exciting, and with a good plot-twist/surprise ending. He read a bit of Poe in high school and enjoyed it, for what it's worth.

If he likes baseball, maybe Jim Bouton's Ball Four? It's a sarcastic, funny and brutally honest behind-the-scenes diary of a washed up pitcher on the fringes of pro baseball. It's a little long, but it's broken down into small pieces he can read at will. It's even got a few twists here and there, too.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Hopes Fall posted:

As a general rule, I recommend 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman to anyone who likes fairy tales and mythology, but since he doesn't have a reader's history I'm afraid he would miss many of the references that made the book so enjoyable to me.

Help?

Stephen King? He has some pretty awesome short story collections, and a few books ~200 pages.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

barkingclam posted:

If he likes baseball, maybe Jim Bouton's Ball Four? It's a sarcastic, funny and brutally honest behind-the-scenes diary of a washed up pitcher on the fringes of pro baseball. It's a little long, but it's broken down into small pieces he can read at will. It's even got a few twists here and there, too.

So it's basically Eastbound & Down in book form? That sounds incredible.

network.guy
Jun 20, 2004

Can anyone recommend some fantasy or sci-fi that's much more about cool worlds and technologies and stuff than realistic characters and petty interpersonal squabbles (or much interpersonal interaction at all)?

I quite liked the Night's Dawn Trilogy.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

DirtyRobot posted:

Stephen King? He has some pretty awesome short story collections, and a few books ~200 pages.

King is good, but his best stuff tends to be a little drawn out & slow to get going. If the kid is into music why not give his son, Joe Hills' Heart Shaped Box a shot? It's a fast-paced, nasty little horror story in which the protagonist is an ageing rocker. It's easy to get into & the plot has some neat twists.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

Hopes Fall posted:

I’m not a sports fan -- I'm sure that's a whole vein of literature in and of itself -- but I can speak from experience of the rest of your criteria. I know a lot of off-center personality types (OCD, ADD, ADHD) who prefer non-fiction to fiction, but I don’t read a ton of NF myself.

Based on my experience, I’d recommend short story collections & anthologies. Ballsworthy has recommended some kick-rear end stuff in the past which turned me into a fan of the form for its own sake and which suited my...uh...twitchiness very very well.

First off, if he can read/enjoy Poe, he might enjoy Sherlock Holmes. Doyle’s prose hasn’t aged hardly at all which is a big part of what makes him stand out from the crowd IMO. (I always want to enjoy Lovecraft more than I do but his writing is so intentionally arcane I find it less approachable than stuff written a generation or more before it).

Specific Titles which have flipped my poo poo:

Dark Delicacies, horror story anthology edited by by Del Howison and Jeff Gelb. There are two follow ups I haven’t read yet but this one is wonderful and lead to

Criminal Macabre: The Complete Cal McDonald Stories by Steve Niles. Fast paced, visceral, hardboiled supernatural detective stories and novels not to be confused with the graphic novels/comics of the same name. (I like these prose stories better than the comic versions.) As a gauge of interest, Niles also wrote 30 Days of Night.

The Wall of the Sky, the Wall of the Eye & Men and Cartoons by Jonathan Lethem. Lethem’s all over the place, sci-fi & straight lit fic, maybe he can generally be referred to as “speculative fiction”. It’s all really well written and profoundly engaging.

Looking for Jake and Other Stories by China Mieville. I should think he’s a very well known quantity in these parts. Speculative fiction again – tending more toward supernatural than sci-fi. I haven’t yet been able to get into his novels but goddamn did I love these stories.

Punktown by Jeffrey Thomas Maybe not quite as classy as all of the above (the Punktown novel I tried after this collection disappointed me enough to steal some of Thomas’s luster in my estimation) but really enjoyable nonetheless. This is urban sci-fi. Stories about life in a city founded by humans on another planet atop the remains of a prior, alien, civilization where humans and various alien races cohabitate with mixed results.

Collectively, these titles got me so high and excited about short weird fiction that I crashed pretty hard when I couldn’t find more of the same. It was a while before I could go on reading “just whatever” again.

Most recently, I’ve returned to my high school fascination with old-school hardboiled detective fiction with an anthology on loan called

Hardboiled: An Anthology of American Crime Stories edited by Bill Pronzini & Jack Adrian. Not just a collection of great stories but a truly wonderful anthology with plenty of editorial information about the history the genre and the individual authors & stories. You’ll find some staples here, from Dashill Hammet to James Ellroy, but it’s the guys I’d never heard of who are doing the heavy lifting. So many good stories, a lot of them are only around 2000 words or so, but man they pack a lot of punch in a just a couple of pages.

King Plum the Nth fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 22, 2010

Petry
Apr 6, 2009
So I recently finished The Lone Samurai and its really got me interested in the genre. I was wondering if any of you could suggest some more books about awesome or interesting people and their lives? Thanks in advance

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

Hopes Fall posted:

He's 20, likes sports (especially baseball) and music ranging from Metallica to Modest Mouse, and has ADD (shocking, I know). He's never been a reader before, and asked her to help him find a starting point, but has no idea of what he would like.

Chuck Klosterman, probably. He writes in a way that a non-reader would be uniquely positioned to appreciate. And his attention span is probably shorter than your friend's.

newtwork.guy posted:

Can anyone recommend some fantasy or sci-fi that's much more about cool worlds and technologies and stuff than realistic characters and petty interpersonal squabbles (or much interpersonal interaction at all)?

You could read a the repair manual for a very sophisticated dishwasher and imagine the dishwasher is on Mars?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Irisi posted:

King is good, but his best stuff tends to be a little drawn out & slow to get going. If the kid is into music why not give his son, Joe Hills' Heart Shaped Box a shot? It's a fast-paced, nasty little horror story in which the protagonist is an ageing rocker. It's easy to get into & the plot has some neat twists.

I think if someone has trouble getting into The Shining, Pet Sematary, or any of King's short stories, their best bet is probably Dick and Jane books or something.

network.guy posted:

I quite liked the Night's Dawn Trilogy.

Truly, Sci Fi and Fantasy have been plagued by excessive realism and character development.

Honestly, if you find the realism in Sci Fi and Fantasy excessive, I would look into nonfiction. This isn't a joke. Consider checking out books about the technological singularity.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I apologize if this has been posted. I only checked the last 3-4 pages.

It has recently come to my attention that I lack any real practical survival knowledge. If, god willing, there is some kind of apocalypse be it zombie-based or whatever, I would most likely starve/freeze to death. I am looking for a good book on survival knowledge that is also an interesting read.

I have come across the Army's survival guide (the one for civilians).
http://www.amazon.com/US-Army-Survival-Manual-21-76/dp/0967512395
It is too boring, watered down, and from the 1970's. I don't need info on how to grow a mustache and disco dance.

I know I am being vague, but it would be cool to know how to forage, hunt, build/repair electronics and mechanics, cook humans, etc. I know that this can be found in several books, but it would be nice to read something informative and fun in one nice package. Does this exist? If not, give me the best you have read.

EDIT: I know I mentioned zombies as a joke in the post, but I have already read Max Brooks' books.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I am looking for a good book on survival knowledge that is also an interesting read.
I recently read Games Criminals Play: How You Can Profit by Knowing Them. It is mostly for people who work in the jail system, but I think it was a useful read. It shows how convicts slowly and carefully will try to manipulate people. 5 star rating on Amazon with 44 reviews.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

I know I am being vague, but it would be cool to know how to forage, hunt, build/repair electronics and mechanics, cook humans, etc. I know that this can be found in several books, but it would be nice to read something informative and fun in one nice package. Does this exist? If not, give me the best you have read.

EDIT: I know I mentioned zombies as a joke in the post, but I have already read Max Brooks' books.

I think the best you're going to do is a book on homesteading. I had a couple from the library a while back, they were pretty old and I can't find exactly what I remember on Amazon, but I think this was one of them http://www.amazon.com/Self-Sufficient-Life-How-Live/dp/0756654505/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269361442&sr=8-24

If it is the one I remember, it has information about general carpentry, farming, animal husbandry, building solar systems, water filtration, chemical toilets, greenhouses, canning, food preservation, etc.

When I was looking for it I ran across this http://www.amazon.com/How-Survive-End-World-Know/dp/0452295831/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269361442&sr=8-25 which I've never read. The reviews say it's not very detailed but it'd be a place to start. The author has a blog on survival and I'd check that out first, from what I read on Amazon the blog has much more useful information than the book. It seems to be more in line with what you're looking for perhaps.

Soapy Joe
Apr 4, 2008

survival knowledge that is also an interesting read.

The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen and its sequels.

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

I apologize if this has been posted. I only checked the last 3-4 pages.

It has recently come to my attention that I lack any real practical survival knowledge. If, god willing, there is some kind of apocalypse be it zombie-based or whatever, I would most likely starve/freeze to death. I am looking for a good book on survival knowledge that is also an interesting read.

I have come across the Army's survival guide (the one for civilians).
http://www.amazon.com/US-Army-Survival-Manual-21-76/dp/0967512395
It is too boring, watered down, and from the 1970's. I don't need info on how to grow a mustache and disco dance.

I bought The Green Beret Survival Manual and so far it's an alright read and has useful information.

http://www.amazon.com/Mykel-Hawkes-Green-Survival-Manual/dp/0762433582

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
Thanks so much for the recommendations! I'm passing them along to my sister, and I'll report when and if he ever finishes a book.

Grapefist
Feb 11, 2007

*Beep Boop*
I AM a robot
*Beep Boop*
Could someone point me to a well written book on the beliefs of Thomas Jefferson?

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I stumbled across this website the other day. Some of you will love this..

http://www.powergloveaudio.com/

Does anyone have a book to recommend that documents a bit deeper than the main pop culture trends of the 80's?

Whorehey
Jun 3, 2006
You saw it here first folks...

foastwab posted:

If someone could offer something similar to Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer, in that it helps put life in perspective, I would appreciate it.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by ["puts life in perspective" but if you haven't read it already you really should read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close if you enjoyed Everything is Illuminated at all. I like the writing much more in ELAIC and really really enjoy all of the main characters.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Nione posted:

I think the best you're going to do is a book on homesteading. I had a couple from the library a while back, they were pretty old and I can't find exactly what I remember on Amazon, but I think this was one of them http://www.amazon.com/Self-Sufficient-Life-How-Live/dp/0756654505/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269361442&sr=8-24

If it is the one I remember, it has information about general carpentry, farming, animal husbandry, building solar systems, water filtration, chemical toilets, greenhouses, canning, food preservation, etc.

Thank you for this.

Maybe what I needed were better search criteria and homesteading seems to fit my what I want to read. Now, if only I could find a book that didn't make me look like I want to join the Montana Militia...

surf animal
Aug 25, 2005

Daveski posted:

I just finished The Lost City of Z and really enjoyed the parts about Victorian-era England, specifically some of the crazy inventors and other eccentric figures like Sir Francis Galton or Helena Blavatsky. Anyone have suggestions for further reading along those lines? Either biographies of specific people or more general books on Victorian life would be great.

Seconding this!

Right now, I'm reading Gold warriors: America's secret recovery of Yamashita's gold and would love more books on this subject as well.

Thanks goons!

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

surf animal posted:

"Either biographies of specific people or more general books on Victorian life would be great."

Seconding this!

It's not exclusively Victorian but Gods, Mongrels and Demons: 101 Brief but Essential Lives by Angus Calder is basically a book of brief biographies of eccentrics. It has a fair number of Victorians in it, some of whom don't seem to have proper biographies available, like Annie Besant. It's really good and permanently at my bedside.

If Blavatsky interests you, you should read about Edgar Cayce. Also, maybe William Reich. I don't know about specific biographies, but they're equally strange and interesting people.

I think Eminent Victorians was already suggested. Edith Sitwell's English Eccentrics is very vaguely similar, less "valuable" but more fun.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Hey everyone. I am a newbie when it comes to Philosophy and would like to hear some suggestions for an overview when it comes to this wonderful world. From what little I have read, I enjoy French Existentialism and think the ideas put forth in Plato's "The Republic" are neat but would like a broader overview than just those small sub-fields. I am also in the market for self-cultivation through philosophical study.

Thanks in advance! :)

Soft Money 1M
Jun 28, 2007

by mons all madden
If you want to learn philosophy you should just read everything by the more famous writers, but in chronological order. Everyone builds on the ideas of everyone before them, whether they disagree with them or otherwise.

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

OrangeGuy posted:

Hey everyone. I am a newbie when it comes to Philosophy and would like to hear some suggestions for an overview when it comes to this wonderful world. From what little I have read, I enjoy French Existentialism and think the ideas put forth in Plato's "The Republic" are neat but would like a broader overview than just those small sub-fields. I am also in the market for self-cultivation through philosophical study.

I read Bertrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy, which I think is pretty standard. Some amazon.com reviewer says Antony Flew's Introduction to Western Philosophy is better, and I've got a friend with a philosophy degree who would agree. I found Russell's an interesting and easy read when I was a teenager; Flew might suit you better, I don't know.

If you're looking for advice on "self-cultivation" read Candide, I guess? I don't understand "self-cultivation through philosophical study," I would hope that any sort of "self-cultivation" would be a by-product of the study, rather than the aim? Maybe read a Doctor Phil book translated into Ancient Greek?

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

:derp:

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Title BOOK BARN SUPERSTAR
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD

OrangeGuy posted:

I am also in the market for self-cultivation through philosophical study.

This was the primary interest of the ancient philosophers before Aristotle, so there's lots of stuff from Plato, but particularly the dialogues telling the story of his death, and the Phaedrus. Moral philosophers like Epictetus, or the writings of Marcus Aurelius are fantastic (essentially moral aphorisms), Cicero is necessary for Roman writing, and Lucretia's "De Rerum Natura" will be a different take on "self-cultivation," from the Epicurean side. Boethius, Augustine, and Aquinas are the classic Christian writers, and Rousseau's "Confessions" is the most important modern update. Walter Benjamin's writings on the flaneur are interesting for their approach to the construction of the bourgeois self, as is de Certeau's "The Practice of Everyday Life," and of course Pierre Bourdieu's "Distinction," but each of these are going to be harder than you might be ready for, and they aren't "self-help guides" but rather critiques of the modern process of cultivation. They're also works of Continental Philosophy, so many analytical philosophers might reject them outright as being corrupted by their "interest" and socio-critical methodologies.

Those are good places to start I think.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

OrangeGuy posted:

The Great Philosophers: An Introduction to Western Philosophy by Bryan Magee is not a bad place to start.

Legs
Mar 18, 2006

I've just recently found that most of the books on my shelves have one thing in common and that's they in one way or another involve survival in harsh or uncharted lands, ether in a realistic, sci-fi, or fantasy setting (one classic example being Dune by Frank Herbert). I have no clue if there is even a classification for this type of book.

Books I do have and would recommend if you like this sort of thing:

Dune series - Harsh desert survival, military takeovers, tribal customs. All the things that make life sexy (all the books by Frank Herbert are great, some of his sons stuff is alright but I could defiantly feel a difference in the writing style)

Tons of Zombie books :zombie: - Zombie Survival Guide, World War Z, Zombies for Zombies (not really survival stuff but what the hell), The Rising, Ghoul... yeah anything with zombies normally works if the author knows what he's doing.

Freedoms Landing - Decent book, if you are an Anne McCaffrey fan you will probably love it. Me not so much into her other stuff but most of this book was great, slaves are dropped off on a planet to colonize it with nothing but a few blankets, knives, and rations.

Much like the zombie books anything that deals with the World Wars :hitler: and Nam and focuses on the battles and not the politics (I do like political books but I love explosions and head shots just a bit more)

Any recommendations would be great, I'm a house bitch (as my wife loves to call me) and take care of my son 24/7 so when he takes a nap I would like have some great reads to keep me entertained.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I read infinite jest around the new year. Its a stunning and whacky book that, unfortunately, I don't think has many contemporaries. Since reading it, i've read:

The Brothers Karamazov (reread, definitely rivals IJ's greatness)
Libra-delillo
Gravitys Rainbow
Dead Souls
Anathem
started The Idiot for the second time, couldn't get past pg.100
Currently ~50% done with 2666

Obviously, i like big books, and a few of the above are really great, but none of them have a spirit like IJ does. Can anyone help me? After 2666, for example, i have my eye on confessions of an economic hitman just for the non-fiction infodump but i'd really like to read something as bizarre and wonderful as infinite jest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Legs posted:

I've just recently found that most of the books on my shelves have one thing in common and that's they in one way or another involve survival in harsh or uncharted lands, ether in a realistic, sci-fi, or fantasy setting (one classic example being Dune by Frank Herbert). I have no clue if there is even a classification for this type of book.

Here's a recommendation from left field: Memoirs of an Invisible Man by H F Saint. A freak nuclear accident turns a man invisible, and he spends the entire book learning how to survive. He is also being chased by some malignant government force, but the best parts are how he learns to how to get a place to live and an income, despite not being a person at all.

I understand they made a lovely Chevy Chase movie from the book, but I've never seen it. The book is excellent.