Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Are you seriously going to run only a front 16.5 Marchesini? Because that is metal. Better yet, do the rear in 2 tone for more :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Wow tireexpress has a package deal with a set of Pilot Power 2CT's shipped for $220 shipped! I'm on it

That's almost as cheap as a set of Shinko garbage

http://www.tireexpress.com/prod.cfm/cid/6706/pid/18998

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Z3n posted:

Have you set up a wall bead breaker or anything?

i need to figure something out for this, but I rent so it couldn't be permanent. Are these types of things actually useful?
http://www.whitehorsegear.com/motion-pro-tire-bead-popper

or I could make one of these in true KLR rider fashion
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/bead-breaker/motorcycle-tire-bead-breaker.htm

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Are you seriously going to run only a front 16.5 Marchesini? Because that is metal. Better yet, do the rear in 2 tone for more :psyduck:

I can't justify a $900 dollar wheel. I just got a new black excel rim on ebay for $140. Hopefully I can figure out this lacing and truing thing. The rear rim will still be polished aluminum, I'll just tell everyone I did it because I like the look.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Armacham posted:

i need to figure something out for this, but I rent so it couldn't be permanent. Are these types of things actually useful?
http://www.whitehorsegear.com/motion-pro-tire-bead-popper

or I could make one of these in true KLR rider fashion
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/bead-breaker/motorcycle-tire-bead-breaker.htm

I've never seen the bead popper before, but it looks super handy. For 20$ it seems like there are way worse things to try.

Zool posted:

I can't justify a $900 dollar wheel. I just got a new black excel rim on ebay for $140. Hopefully I can figure out this lacing and truing thing. The rear rim will still be polished aluminum, I'll just tell everyone I did it because I like the look.

I gave up on just telling people I liked the look after the 3rd SV crash. Yeah, it's a clown bike, yeah, it's missing a windshield, yeah, it's 4 different colors. But it runs great! :haw:

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I bought the bead popper but haven't used it yet. I've changed 4 sets of tires by hand so far and the only hard part is breaking the bead (and in one case setting the bead - stubborn tire and my weak rear end compressor couldn't do it). If I remember I'll post a review of how it compares to my normal ghetto method of breaking the bead, which either works brilliantly and quickly or takes 3 hours of sweat and cursing.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

needknees posted:

Definitely interested :).
Hmm, I checked and turns out he actually has a harbor freight rig in his garage. Apparently it just broke though, heh, take that for what you will.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

-Inu- posted:

Hmm, I checked and turns out he actually has a harbor freight rig in his garage. Apparently it just broke though, heh, take that for what you will.

What broke about it?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

-Inu- posted:

Interesting.

I was all set to get the Harbor Freight poo poo plus the Mojo blocks and lever, then came across a semi-local shop I'd never even heard of (but have driven by a number of times, apparently). Dude has prices on tires just a few bucks higher than internet sale prices, and will mount and balance tires for fourteen bucks a wheel. loving half the price of other places around here.

I think for the small amount I'd save by doing it myself I'd rather support a (kind of) local guy who's actually selling poo poo at reasonable prices. I'll give him a shot, at least.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Hey, I read all of Z3n's advice on the first post, so I was hoping for some specific recommendations.

tl;dr Need tires for a V-Strom 650, used at least two days at the track and then for daily commuting/semi-frequent spirited riding on twisty farm roads. No off-roading planned. I desire good grip wet and dry, not as concerned with life. If I could get ~5000 miles, I'd be happy.

I'm doing my first track day at the end of April, and currently my 2004 Suzuki V-Strom 650 is wearing pretty hard touring tires (Metzler Tourance, I believe). The front tire is pretty new, but the rear tire has around 40% of the tread left, which I don't think would be allowed past tech inspection. And even if it were, the tires are really hard and square, and I want something that will give me more confidence to actually lean the bike over.

Track day is going to be at the Autobahn Country Club in Joliet, if anyone has been there before and knows what the track is like in terms of pavement. But after that, I don't know if/when I'll be able to do another track day, and I'd like to limit my track days on the bike as it's also my daily commuter.

My back-and-forth to work is ~15 miles, and then every weekend I go to the girlfriend's house about 100 miles away.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Honestly it sounds like you're in a similar boat as me. I'll probably change stuff out for trackdays but for a good all-around tire with sporty intentions and decent life it looks like the Michelin Pilot Road 2 (not the standard road) is the hot ticket. Great stick when leaned over but long~ish life in the center due to the dual compound tread, awesome performance in the wet, and they warm up quickly so they work well in cooler weather.

I've been reading a bunch of poo poo about tires lately but don't have firsthand experiences with these so take my "advise" with a grain of salt, but basically everything I've read has been good. Seems like the average life people are seeing is around 7k for a set, on a lighter moderately powered bike like your Wee you'd probably get a fair bit more out of them. I've been seeing them on sale online too -- 279 for a 120/70 190/55 set, so you'd be coming in a fair bit cheaper due to the smaller sized rear you'd use.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
I just put another set of Pilot Road 2's on my ST1300 and have nothing but good things to say about them.

If you have a local hookup to get them mounted, you might call Tim at Two Brothers Tire (twobrotherstires.com/), he's been hooking us up on the ST boards with really good prices on tire sets.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Sweet, thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to hit up a tire-changing party/BBQ on April 10th with Nerobro, so yeah, I can get them from anywhere.

*edit* Arg fail, they don't make those in the front tire size for the Wee.

Front tire is a 110/80 R19, rear is a 150/70 R17

Tsaven Nava fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 26, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Raven457 posted:

I just put another set of Pilot Road 2's on my ST1300 and have nothing but good things to say about them.

If you have a local hookup to get them mounted, you might call Tim at Two Brothers Tire (twobrotherstires.com/), he's been hooking us up on the ST boards with really good prices on tire sets.

What kind of life did you see out of your first set? And if you don't mind me asking what kind of price did you get from the Two Brothers Tire guy?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Tsaven Nava posted:

oh that sucks... :( talk to Tim though, he can probably recommend something... I'm sure he's put tires on a Wee before :)

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

needknees posted:

What kind of life did you see out of your first set? And if you don't mind me asking what kind of price did you get from the Two Brothers Tire guy?

I think they got around 7,000 miles before I changed them. The front was still in fairly good shape, the rear was still ok in the center but shot to hell on the edges thanks to a lovely tire gauge telling me they were at 42psi when they really weren't.

I'm the 3rd owner, and I personally put 5500 miles on them. The second owner put about 1,000 miles on them, they were on the bike when he bought it. I don't know how many miles the first owner put on them. I'm fully expecting to get 8 - 10k out of this set, based on feedback from other ST1300 riders.

Price was $260 delivered (120/70ZR18 and 170/60ZR17)

Raven457 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 26, 2010

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Z3n posted:

What broke about it?
Not sure, I'll ask when he gets back from tally this weekend.

Has anyone tried the Sportec M5's? I had completely forgotten about them until I saw a set today. They look like pretty nice tires, and they appear to be in the same boat as the Power Pures at the moment -- price is about $100 off MSRP because they're so new.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

Sweet, thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to hit up a tire-changing party/BBQ on April 10th with Nerobro, so yeah, I can get them from anywhere.

You're gonna just have to take what you acn get in those sizes. Stupid oddball dual sport sizes, put supermoto rims on it.

-Inu- posted:

Not sure, I'll ask when he gets back from tally this weekend.

Has anyone tried the Sportec M5's? I had completely forgotten about them until I saw a set today. They look like pretty nice tires, and they appear to be in the same boat as the Power Pures at the moment -- price is about $100 off MSRP because they're so new.

I'd love to try them, I've always liked the soft sidewall tires (metzler/pirelli). Maybe I'll toss a set on the sumo, if they make them in appropriate sizes.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
So does my rear tire need replacing? :v:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Nah, a few burnouts to even everything out and you'll be golden.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Just don't ride it in the center ;)

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
nah brah just lean it over more to ride on the edges

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
What kind of tires should I be looking at for a 2006 Zx-6r that arent going to just slide out from under me in a rainy/wet situation?

Edit: I guess I'm looking at sport touring tires, I should have been more clear. I'm not planning any track days with it right now, are the pilot road 2s worth the money or should I be looking at other brands?

sw0cb fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 29, 2010

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

sw0cb posted:

What kind of tires should I be looking at for a 2006 Zx-6r that arent going to just slide out from under me in a rainy/wet situation?

Edit: I guess I'm looking at sport touring tires, I should have been more clear. I'm not planning any track days with it right now, are the pilot road 2s worth the money or should I be looking at other brands?

I put diablo stradas on mine cause I've had good experiences with them. From what I've been hearing, the pilot road 2s might be slightly better though.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade
So I'm looking to replace my tires now that I'm actually going to be riding my motorcycle rather than working on it, but I have a couple questions.

First, is a 120/90 16 really that rare, the only fitting tires I've seen are IRC, frighteningly cheap, and kenda, which I have no clue about, but also seem questionable.

Because of that, I'm curious whether I can use a 130/90 16 which is a bit more common. I got out the calipers and took some measurements, and while the bike is resting I have the clearances on the swing arm easily, but the chain just barely. Is moving up possible, or will the tire likely rub on the chain when flexed in a turn. And is it possible to adjust the chain out a tiny bit?

If I can get away with a 130 it will allow me to look at some dunlops, pirellis, michelins, etc. which seem to be much safer brands.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What motorcycle? Are your tires tubed or not?

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

Z3n posted:

What motorcycle? Are your tires tubed or not?

D'oh! Its an 82 Suzuki GS450 with cast wheels, so tubeless I imagine.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
So I recently had new tires put on my bike. On the front I kept it stock, but the rear I went up from a 140 to a 150. I was checking the air yesterday during a fillup and the front tire is set at 38psi and the rear at 44psi. I know with the old set of tires I was running 29psi up front and 38psi to the rear as per stated in the user manual. Would the larger tire require a higher psi? Is it dangerous to run the psi like that on both the front and the rear and should I lower them both back to 29/38?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd be concerned that 44PSI is over the maximum (cold) pressure of the tire. Were you checking them cold or hot? Bigger tires do not need more PSI, though, I'd lower it down to 38. I'm surprised that they recommend 29/38 though, that seems low in the front and high in the rear. Is this on the Seca2?

PestiferousTrollop posted:

You're probably ok going up one size, but some tires are wider than others, despite falling under the same size spec. Generally the rule of thumb is up one size is acceptable, but that's not always true depending on the bike and tire.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

I'd be concerned that 44PSI is over the maximum (cold) pressure of the tire. Were you checking them cold or hot? Bigger tires do not need more PSI, though, I'd lower it down to 38. I'm surprised that they recommend 29/38 though, that seems low in the front and high in the rear. Is this on the Seca2?

I was checking the air hot. Yeah it's strange too, but on my chain guard it has 29/36psi, NOT my manual. Sorry. Odd...

I checked this page and it's saying 34/36 which sounds a bit more correct. I'll lower the pressure before my ride home tonight.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

PestiferousTrollop posted:

Actually, it's tubed... But you can run them tubeless if you're so inclined.

No, 130's aren't going to fit. 120 even sounds like a size up from stock. On the 550, the stock size tires are 110's.

16" wheels are hard to find tires for...

You want avon roadriders. They stick better than demons, and last longer. And they're available in your size.
http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/AVON/AVON%20MC/avon_am26_roadrider.htm

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Do I need a new front tire?

LeftyChris
Mar 28, 2010
That tyre looks ok to me Apollo.Do you have depth indicator blocks on tyres in the US?Also for what it's worth I wouldn't put anything other than road 2's on my bikes,best wearing,best wet grip i've ever known(takes off michelin hat)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nah, just sand the chicken strips off and it'll be good as new! :w00t:

Looks ok to me. Why were you considering a new tire?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Well This tire has done all of my commuting since I got the
bike. Several cross Texas trips and the Sa relay where I think I rode further than anybody else. It's about a year and a few months old an I've never replaced tires before. Somebody made an offhand comment that the tire had lots of wear so I just wasn't sure!

I'll definitely be using the pilot roads as a replacement since
my rear tire is of that make!

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
How easy is it to change the tires myself? I have access to a tire changing machine and a balancing machine, but I don't know how to use them. Can a person with average cognitive capacity figure it out, or will it end in horrible flaming death?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
just take it slow and use lots of lube and you'll be fine

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Mathturbator posted:

How easy is it to change the tires myself? I have access to a tire changing machine and a balancing machine, but I don't know how to use them. Can a person with average cognitive capacity figure it out, or will it end in horrible flaming death?

What kind of tire changing machine?

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Armacham posted:

just take it slow and use lots of lube and you'll be fine

This can be applied to so many things. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
Cycle Asylum: Just take it slow and use lots of lube

• Locked thread