Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Fired up the bead blaster at work. I'm starting the process of cleaning the best bits to assemble the 4AGZE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Sockington posted:

Fired up the bead blaster at work.

Sure did!

Super JDM double oil-filler & crankcase vent cap mod. Double ventin' yo.

Just kidding. Here's the clean set.

80amp Camry alternator bolts onto factory brackets.

And looks much nicer than this;

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I wish my engine looked that clean.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
(Never realized the '800' limit had been lifted :dance: )

More parts from the bead blaster!

Test fitting a couple to the 4AGZE. (4AGE crank and wp pullies). The wp pullies are the same, just happened to have one handy to clean up

Belted in

Test fitting N/A intake manifold (needs TVIS plate or eliminator plate)

See this little hole? It's where the dizzy went (going EDIS).

The stock dizzy is a waste of space and won't be needed, so I made a plug out of a spare one. I pulled the guts and cut it. Need to get the end welded shut to make it oil tight.

Big and silly

Smaller. Going to make a small stainless cover plate that will bolt over it.

The stock S/C coolant line (the line that is cut is from my 4AGE motor) won't fit with the N/A intake manifold, so I am going to have to modify this line.

Cause it doesn't like the knock sensor

Going to get a little barb tacked on the end and just run flexible rubber.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
More bead blasting.

This guy goes here

And the little guy here

Dug out my 4AGZE cover cause the 4AGE is for suckas

Dunno what's up with these casting numbers. Collect the whole set?

Also, got some corrosion on the GZE cams. Not a problem - got two extra sets in the garage!

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"
You make it look so easy. Like someday I'll finish something I start. Did you ever think the internet would think you inspirational?

edit: I also didn't think you should endure five updates in a row.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Barn Owl posted:

You make it look so easy. Like someday I'll finish something I start. Did you ever think the internet would think you inspirational?

There were a lot of *other* projects that I failed miserably at.

Also, I got someone to weld up the three holes in the dizzy so it will be oil-tight for my dizz-plug use. Should be ready for the beginning of the week.

Also, 85' cams have duration of 240' vs. the 232' of GZE and later GE cams. It's not much difference, but the GZE cams look pretty sketchy from sitting around.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

8ender posted:

I'm in the same province and I put out some struts and an axle for garbage day but no engine blocks this week.

It put all my old suspension (four struts and shocks), brakes (2 rotors, calipers, and knuckles) out for trash day when I did the big SVT swap. Some guys had it gone within a couple hours.

Sold on gold?

I kinda liked it after seeing on a previous car. The guy I bought my rusty N/A from just finished getting his sc back together (and was now getting rid of the N/A). He had his painted gold and I sorta liked em.

Here's some pics of his S/C (gay wiper thing, ugh).

Oh back in the day. :allears:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 22, 2010

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So why is the stock dizzy not good enough? What are you replacing it with and how will it be managed?

Also watching your MR2 project makes me think it the perfect small car for small space project besides maybe a Miata. Although the engine bay looks a little scary.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I actually like the gold, especially on a white car :whatup:

You make it look so easy :allears:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

leica posted:

So why is the stock dizzy not good enough? What are you replacing it with and how will it be managed?

EDIS with Megasquirt - hopefully. With no forced induction on my 4AGZE, I should be looking at a mighty 80hp (8:1 cr 1.6L).

leica posted:

Also watching your MR2 project makes me think it the perfect small car for small space project besides maybe a Miata. Although the engine bay looks a little scary.

The car is small, so storage is an issue if you need to bring wheels and tires to an event. The engine bay really isn't that bad. Instead of having a rad infront of the motor, you have a steel firewall. Coolant lines everywhere though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I used to own one back in like '92 but never really worked on it and didn't own it long. I was doing lots of road trips and it was a horrible highway car. Lots of fun in teh twistiez though.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

leica posted:

I used to own one back in like '92 but never really worked on it and didn't own it long. I was doing lots of road trips and it was a horrible highway car. Lots of fun in teh twistiez though.

The only issues I have had with my mr2's that make them bad for long drives is my old one was too loud(retarded exhaust setup, but who doesn't love supertraps?) and my current one doesn't have a radio, but that didn't stop me from buying it in San Jose and driving it back to Seattle.

And yea the engine bay is pretty small, but anything major you have to do, you might as well drop the whole thing out the bottom of the car.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Watch out Geo Metro*, the N/A 4AGZE will be coming for you with all 58.1hp!

*3cyl only. 4cyl would walk me.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Decided to pop off the cyl head to see how bad things looked.

Umm... I think this requires machining, no? :ese:

The Great Went
Aug 21, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Man, I used to have a white '89 just like the one posted, except mine had burgundy interior. My sister called it the "Dust Buster". It met its demise when I was sideswiped going north on 101. Stupid teal Volvo station wagon!

Your engine build pics make me want to purchase another one. They pop up every now and then on craigslist. Alas, I'm in school and live in the Bay Area where garage space is at a premium.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Sock have I ever told you how much I hate you?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sockington posted:

Watch out Geo Metro*, the N/A 4AGZE will be coming for you with all 58.1hp!

*3cyl only. 4cyl would walk me.

OK, so why do you want this motor again? Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through for 58 HP. It will seem like a slug compared to your 323. Unless there's something I'm missing here.....

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Sockington posted:

Umm... I think this requires machining, no? :ese:

Just the slightest of ridges. Heh.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

leica posted:

OK, so why do you want this motor again? Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through for 58 HP. It will seem like a slug compared to your 323. Unless there's something I'm missing here.....

Yea I'm assuming that something is rather wrong with that motor, seeing as a stock aw11 will put down around 80whp(original motor, I know a guy who has had his semi built na 4age put down ~120whp). From what Ive been told, and seen dyno sheets, my mr2 with a bt20v 4AGE should put down around 150whp.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The blue line is a 4AGZE with no boost.
The red line is a 4AGZE with 12psi of s/c boost.

The :10bux: is what is keeping a snail in NZ from being slapped on the hotside and cranking out more power than that redline.

A machine shop can clean that up, right? It's not a scrap block, is it? :sweatdrop:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Sockington posted:

A machine shop can clean that up, right? It's not a scrap block, is it? :sweatdrop:

Depends on how deep it is and how much those blocks can be over bored/how much material is left if it has already been over bored.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I'm assuming it costs some big bucks to build a 4AGE for boost then.......It's just funny how anemic the Z is without boost, I would have never guessed it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

leica posted:

So I'm assuming it costs some big bucks to build a 4AGE for boost then.......It's just funny how anemic the Z is without boost, I would have never guessed it.
It has lower compression to prevent detonation, probably. With a couple notable exceptions, most turbo/SC motors (especially in the 80s) don't do much of anything once you pull the forced induction off.

edit: yep, lower compression - the 4AGZE seems to have an 8.0:1 compression ratio, and the (super hot) 4AGE 20v has 10.5:1.

edit edit: I should really read the links I post; later 4AGZEs went up to 8.9:1 (although that was in AE91s, not AW11s)

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 24, 2010

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Seat Safety Switch posted:

edit: yep, lower compression - the 4AGZE seems to have an 8.0:1 compression ratio, and the (super hot) 4AGE 20v has 10.5:1.

10.5:1 for the silvertop 20v, but 11:1 for the blacktop 20v. I'm kinda disappointed with myself that I knew that off the top of my head.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

MR2 Forums posted:

There's nothing wrong with that block at all. You can use a green pad and a little oil to clean up the crud at the tops of the bores - no biggie at all.

MR2 Forums posted:

That crud is in the area of the bore that never sees any piston/ring contact. Its ready to go right now as long as it still turns over. As long as its apart I'd scrape out as much as I can to prevent any from coming loose later (if it is on there that thick it is).

I'm still thinking the machine shop is the way to go, but I wouldn't mind taking a quick scrub to the top of the block to see how bad the gunk is.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MR2 Forums posted:

That crud is in the area of the bore that never sees any piston/ring contact. Its ready to go right now as long as it still turns over.

That's true, but only as long as you keep the top compression ring you have right now. It gets worn too, and if you put on new, un-worn rings they can hit the ridge where the worn ones didn't. Just be careful, you threw out all your spare blocks!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sockington posted:

I'm still thinking the machine shop is the way to go, but I wouldn't mind taking a quick scrub to the top of the block to see how bad the gunk is.

Isn't that the same thing we were telling you in IRC?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Isn't that the same thing we were telling you in IRC?

No, usually I get,

IRC posted:

OH LOOK, IT'S THE RUST LORD. WHAT DID YOUR MIDAS TOUCH INFECT TODAY???

EDIT:

Raluek posted:

That's true, but only as long as you keep the top compression ring you have right now. It gets worn too, and if you put on new, un-worn rings they can hit the ridge where the worn ones didn't. Just be careful, you threw out all your spare blocks!

Yeah, they were the weaker earlier blocks. There are reinforcing ribs that run vertically down the block. The older 4AGEs had 3ribs (both of my other blocks were 'early' blocks), and the the newer & GZE blocks have 7ribs.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 28, 2010

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I'll be off to trade school in middle of April, so I had to get some maintenance done on the Focus before I take off. New belt, tensioner, idler, and bolts are en route from Steve a Tousley Ford. I added a SVT airbox w/new MAF to the list of parts since ALL FOUR airbox bolts were stripped to gently caress from the P.O. and I have to use vice grips to hold the inserts in place while removing the screws. This gets fairly sketchy on the battery side of the airbox.

And you know, that whole SVT thing :smuggo:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I wish more dealerships were as smart as Tousley. They must be making a ridiculous amount of money since they are on seemingly every automotive forum and basically everyone orders from them.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
bore it and go .40 over like all the cool kids are doing :smug:

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Sockington posted:

I'll be off to trade school in middle of April, so I had to get some maintenance done on the Focus before I take off. New belt, tensioner, idler, and bolts are en route from Steve a Tousley Ford. I added a SVT airbox w/new MAF to the list of parts since ALL FOUR airbox bolts were stripped to gently caress from the P.O. and I have to use vice grips to hold the inserts in place while removing the screws. This gets fairly sketchy on the battery side of the airbox.

And you know, that whole SVT thing :smuggo:

Steve at Tousley is an awesome guy! I'm happy that I'm only 12 miles away from them :cool:

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.
I had no idea Tousley Ford was that cool. I am 11.7 miles from them by Google. Makes me wish I had a Ford. I also didn't realize there was any AI folks in town. And from the good side of town no less.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

PeaceFrog posted:

I had no idea Tousley Ford was that cool. I am 11.7 miles from them by Google. Makes me wish I had a Ford. I also didn't realize there was any AI folks in town. And from the good side of town no less.

They offer 10% over cost on parts to Internet buyers on basically every Ford forum out there. They rule pretty hard core.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

PeaceFrog posted:

7.2 miles, I forgot that moving to Shoreview brought me a little closer :)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Painted the alternator mount, coolant inlet, and passenger side motor mount.

And the other valve cover

Painted the behind cam cover thingy.

Also bead blasted my 323's rear suspension bit and the coolant pipe that runs from the above "coolant inlet". I added a couple little tacks around the pipe to keep the hose from popping off once clamped.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Quit stalling and put that engine together :v:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

8ender posted:

Quit stalling and put that engine together

Not until things are almost perfect.:chord:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sockington posted:

Not until things are almost perfect.:chord:

If you were a true perfectionist you would get the head and block hot tanked :smug:

• Locked thread