Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

Glad I can finally post this screenshot now because I just released it to the app market yesterday.

An update to RouteShout. Exciting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

My current Nintendo DS project. Acquire!

Almost everything is done except for mergers involving more than 2 hotels and networking (and I need to make some better graphics).

loud-bob
Feb 11, 2004

AHHHHHHHH

Inverse Icarus posted:

This is something I've always joked about. I'm sure you'll sell a bunch.

And now we'll know who plays with their phone on the shitter at work.

Thanks, yeah it's finally in the app store. And I made a banner ad for SA. Check it out I just finished it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

loud-bob fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 27, 2010

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

That Turkey Story posted:

My current Nintendo DS project. Acquire!

Almost everything is done except for mergers involving more than 2 hotels and networking (and I need to make some better graphics).

Ah, I love Acquire. You're probably going to want to choose some more distinct colors for each of the stocks, right now they're all earth tones and sort of run together. Keep us updated :)

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

Ah, I love Acquire. You're probably going to want to choose some more distinct colors for each of the stocks, right now they're all earth tones and sort of run together. Keep us updated :)

You mean the little hotel ID tiles in the bottom screen? I thought that as well when I first started off testing in an emulator, but on the DS screen itself the colors appear a lot more vibrant and distinct for some reason. Even between emulators (nocash and desmume) the colors are drastically different.

Edit: I will also be outlining the hotels eventually, I just haven't gotten around to it.

That Turkey Story fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 28, 2010

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Finished off some procedural planet stuff I was working on. It's not amazing but it's 'fit for purpose'. I realised I was spending more time on this stuff then on gameplay for my game... I'll probably iterate on this a bit more at a later date.

All terrain and clouds are procedural and generated with perlin noise.

army_of_babies
Dec 5, 2004
Fighting for your color TVs
Here at school we have an XNA course which is mainly us making whatever we want with some guidance. I've never done 3D graphics or modeling before, bonus points for who knows where the 3D monkey came from! The gameplay will be simple, kill the other monkeys, get to the next level and kill a larger number of faster monkeys.

Click here for the full 1296x758 image.

Click here for the full 1296x758 image.

I'm also doing my capstone (senior project), which is a mailroom application used to manage incoming packages. Currently they do everything by hand, poor souls :(

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks

army_of_babies posted:

...bonus points for who knows where the 3D monkey came from!

Why, it's Suzanne, the Blender monkey!

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Strumpy posted:

Finished off some procedural planet stuff I was working on. It's not amazing but it's 'fit for purpose'. I realised I was spending more time on this stuff then on gameplay for my game... I'll probably iterate on this a bit more at a later date.

All terrain and clouds are procedural and generated with perlin noise.

Looks nice, but it seems strange to have clouds covering everything. You could try raising it to a power so you get sharper outlines. (http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2085.asp)

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

This is Mari.

It's a 3d texture painting application I've help develop for Weta Digital in New Zealand. They just finished doing Avatar with it.

We've just gone public with a deal to commercialize it via The Foundry.

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/mari

It is a C++ QT application using OpenGL and GLSL for rendering.

It deals with HUUUUUGE amounts of textures. Way beyond the amount of RAM in your machine or GPU.

It is fun.

The1ManMoshPit
Apr 17, 2005

forelle posted:

This is Mari.

That looks pretty cool. Is it like the crazy texture stuff id demoed with Rage only massively more so?

Contero
Mar 28, 2004

Well I just spent the whole day screwing around with geodesic spheres.

At one point while attempting to make my duals I noticed that some of the hexagons looked really squashed. I thought something was wrong but I realized that the edge lengths can't possibly all be the same after tessellating more than once. Since I couldn't find anything online that really talked about optimizing the shape, I decided to try an incremental approach by contracting edges that were too big and expanding edges that were too small (relative to the average).

Red edges are small, blue edges are big. Right off the bat there are a lot of uneven triangles.

Click here for the full 1043x806 image.

My first attempt after trying to relax the sphere

Letting the edges inside the hexagons go slack had an even better result.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

The1ManMoshPit posted:

That looks pretty cool. Is it like the crazy texture stuff id demoed with Rage only massively more so?

It is based on a similar idea. The idea is to have only the textures you need for the current frame loaded at any given time.

The rest of the data is streamed off RAM / disk.

There is a bunch of GPU based painting stuff built on top of the texturing engine.

Screeb
Dec 28, 2004

forelle posted:

Mari

Ah, Mari. I worked at Weta briefly a few years ago and had a look at Mari's intranet info page. Looked really interesting, and I really wanted to work on it. At the time someone had done a comparison of Mari's brushes with equivalent Photoshop brushes, and I noticed that Mari's brush antialiasing wasn't very good. I sperged about it to one of the Mari guys during I think the Christmas party. Don't remember his name though - could've been you! Good times.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

Screeb posted:

Ah, Mari. I worked at Weta briefly a few years ago and had a look at Mari's intranet info page. Looked really interesting, and I really wanted to work on it. At the time someone had done a comparison of Mari's brushes with equivalent Photoshop brushes, and I noticed that Mari's brush antialiasing wasn't very good. I sperged about it to one of the Mari guys during I think the Christmas party. Don't remember his name though - could've been you! Good times.

Could have been me, but knowing Weta's Christmas parties I'm not surprised I can't remember. :)

Mari's come on quite a lot, the filtering for the brushes is pretty good now. A fair few of the Weta artists prefer the Mari brush engine to the PS one.

The blog you read does make some interesting spergy reading. 10 page discussions on the effects of bicubic-vs-bilinear sampling on high frequency projection. Fun. I guess.

Fecotourist
Nov 1, 2008

Contero posted:

Red edges are small, blue edges are big. Right off the bat there are a lot of uneven triangles.

I had the same question about the first guy's post. You need a certain total amount of curvature to make a sphere and in this scheme it is all concentrated in those twelve pentagons so the hexes have to squash to compensate. You probably noticed that the each hex was squashed in the direction of the nearest pentagon.

Fecotourist fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 30, 2010

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Contero posted:

Well I just spent the whole day screwing around with geodesic spheres.

At one point while attempting to make my duals I noticed that some of the hexagons looked really squashed. I thought something was wrong but I realized that the edge lengths can't possibly all be the same after tessellating more than once. Since I couldn't find anything online that really talked about optimizing the shape, I decided to try an incremental approach by contracting edges that were too big and expanding edges that were too small (relative to the average).

Very interesting, although it looks like the pentagons end up disproportionately small by the end of it.

When making the sphere, do you normalize the points (push them to the outside of the sphere) after each step, or at the end? I noticed the results were different. I didn't do any exact measurements, but normalizing at the end seemed to produce better results oddly enough.

ImJasonH
Apr 2, 2004

RAMALAMADINGDONG!
A couple days a go I hacked up an App Engine app using the XMPP service to randomly connect you with another anonymous user using the app.

Basically a "me too!" chatroulette but not even as good. But 115 lines isn't too bad...

Type "/join" to get started, type "/next" to find someone else and block your current partner forever, type "/leave" to stop playing.

I wrote it up, felt great about it, then realized I was the only person who'd ever use it :(

http://chatwithstrangers.appspot.com (or IM chatwithstrangers@appspot.com using a Jabber account)

http://gist.github.com/344873

Contero
Mar 28, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

When making the sphere, do you normalize the points (push them to the outside of the sphere) after each step, or at the end? I noticed the results were different. I didn't do any exact measurements, but normalizing at the end seemed to produce better results oddly enough.

Yeah actually I tried this and it did seem to look better:

That's without any relaxing at all. I should try measuring how close to equilateral the triangles actually get to see which is better.

Can you explain how you created the dual in a little more detail? I can't get it just right and what I'm doing seems a lot more complicated than it should be.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
I don't have time to do a big explanation right now, but the basic idea is this:

The points you have are the centers of your tiles. What you need are the vertices that define the hexagons/pentagons. You will note that, on the dual, exactly three faces meet at each vertex. So to find this vertex, you must take the intersection of three planes. This isn't as hard as it seems. Let's assume your sphere is of radius 1, and centered on the origin. Then the vector pointing from the origin to the center of the tile can be used as your normal vector. Now here is a webpage with the relevant formula: http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/geometry/3planes/
In this case, since the sphere has a radius of one, d1=d2=d3=1 and the formula works out to be pretty simple.

Once you have the six (or five) vertices for the tile you can make the hexagon/pentagon.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

ClickDesk now runs in overlay mode, allowing use of the desktop beneath.

Contero
Mar 28, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

I don't have time to do a big explanation right now, but the basic idea is this:

Thanks, that was much simpler than what I was doing.

Here are the results from my attempts to readjust the sphere:

normal:

mine letting the inner hex edges go slack:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Looks good. Could you elaborate a bit more on how you let the edges "go slack"?

Contero
Mar 28, 2004

Well my code goes through each edge and figures out if its too big or too small, then adds a small vector to each end point that pushes it in the appropriate direction. I add all these vectors up in another array since the same vector is going to be involved with more than one edge and I don't want the value changing as I'm doing the calculation.

So what I mean by go slack is that when I'm looping through all of my edges, if I run into one that I've marked earlier as being in part of the hexagon then I just skip it. I don't make any attempts to stretch or contract that edge.

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS
Playing around with Qt+OpenGL loading images in a second thread:
http://heeen.de/proj/qt-loading.avi
Three 4096 png textures loaded in a thread with lowest priority.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

heeen posted:

Playing around with Qt+OpenGL loading images in a second thread:
http://heeen.de/proj/qt-loading.avi
Three 4096 png textures loaded in a thread with lowest priority.

Are you using C++? Is it pretty easy to integrate OpenGL with Qt's object system? I enjoy doing piddly graphical applications in OpenGL and love working with Qt; it'd be nice to combine them instead of writing my own crappy input and menuing systems with OpenGL.

J. Elliot Razorledgeball
Jan 28, 2005

Id4ever posted:

I'll add underscore to the template either today or tomorrow. It'll be in the next available box, to the right of the '' character. If you still have your completed template, just write the underscore in that box and re-scan and upload it.

Yes, I'm planning to add a 'gallery' section where you can preview and download fonts created by other users (with their permission of course).

In the meantime, here are some interesting / pretty / weird fonts that people have created so far:

Hey what happened to this? It redirects to some weird paid site now :(

Nibelheim
Jul 7, 2006

ColdPie posted:

Are you using C++? Is it pretty easy to integrate OpenGL with Qt's object system? I enjoy doing piddly graphical applications in OpenGL and love working with Qt; it'd be nice to combine them instead of writing my own crappy input and menuing systems with OpenGL.

It's pretty damned easy to use OpenGL with Qt. You should check out the Qt documentations for the QtOpenGL modules. If you're already setup Qt, it should be a breeze.

Posted somewhat earlier in this thread, I made this solar system application using said module:

TheSpook
Aug 21, 2007
Spooky!

Nibelheim posted:

It's pretty damned easy to use OpenGL with Qt. You should check out the Qt documentations for the QtOpenGL modules. If you're already setup Qt, it should be a breeze.

Posted somewhat earlier in this thread, I made this solar system application using said module:

This looks nice and clean! Well done.

The Red Baron
Jan 10, 2005

My littlest python compiler is starting to get baby teeth :allears:

code:
class Fartz(object):
  def __init__(self, hurf):
    self.durf = hurf

def __call__(self, bar, baz, *args, **kwargs):
    print(bar, baz, self.durf, args, kwargs, sep=', ')

x = Fartz('abcd')

asdf = {'baz': 'world', 'barf': 'bag'}
pos = 'hello',
x(test=555, *pos, **asdf)
code:
hello, world, abcd, (), {'test': 555, 'barf': 'bag'}
All functions are lazily JIT compiled with LLVM and are thus pretty much as fast to invoke as the C++ runtime functions (especially since those have to go through my Boost.Python-ripoff indirection layer first). No type specialization or anything fancy like that yet, though.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I've just recently finished work on a Silence Alarm for radio stations using OS X. It listens to a selected audio driver, and sends an alert if the audio falls below a certain threshold for a specified amount of time. That way, a staff person can come and fix the error. Currently, it only uses gmail to send an alarm, but I'm hoping to add more as it develops.

(My Hosting)

It has a sourceforge page, if anybody wants to help: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vidarr/

dexter
Jun 24, 2003

clockwork automaton posted:

Glad I can finally post this screenshot now because I just released it to the app market yesterday.

An update to RouteShout. Exciting!

I attempted to install your apps but they require 3.1.3. Are you actually using something that only 3.1.3 has?

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

dexter posted:

I attempted to install your apps but they require 3.1.3. Are you actually using something that only 3.1.3 has?

I honestly has no idea what is going on in regards to the iPhone app. I'm pretty sure they just target the most recent version. Reasoning behind that is "why not upgrade?".

bitreaper
Jan 1, 2007

Spent a few months working on this, going back to it once I finish all the arts courses they want me to take to round out my degree...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q13hUZuug8E

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
That's beautiful.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Very nice flames there

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

The Red Baron posted:

My littlest python compiler is starting to get baby teeth :allears:

code:
class Fartz(object):
  def __init__(self, hurf):
    self.durf = hurf

def __call__(self, bar, baz, *args, **kwargs):
    print(bar, baz, self.durf, args, kwargs, sep=', ')

x = Fartz('abcd')

asdf = {'baz': 'world', 'barf': 'bag'}
pos = 'hello',
x(test=555, *pos, **asdf)
code:
hello, world, abcd, (), {'test': 555, 'barf': 'bag'}
All functions are lazily JIT compiled with LLVM and are thus pretty much as fast to invoke as the C++ runtime functions (especially since those have to go through my Boost.Python-ripoff indirection layer first). No type specialization or anything fancy like that yet, though.
Thats incredible! I'm really excited at how far you've come and I can't wait to see what your next update will be.

The Red Baron
Jan 10, 2005

tripwire posted:

Thats incredible! I'm really excited at how far you've come and I can't wait to see what your next update will be.

Thanks! :3: The next entry on my ToDo-list is function closures and lambdas, which will require a pretty decent refactoring since I currently store all function-local variables on the stack and have no concept of execution "block" as CPython does (on the upside it means that things like try/except/finally etc are effectively zero-cost). I need some way of squirreling away local variables anyhow for when I eventually add generator support. I also want to hack in a temporary _thread module so I can start weeding out race conditions and other multithreading fuckups, since there's no GIL (not counting the global lock around LLVM, since that only happens during lazy JIT-ing and not execution of already compiled code).

(Very) long term-wise, the goal is to do speculative function specialization based on the arguments actually passed to the function when it's JITed, essentially creating one monomorphic and one megamorphic native version of it, as well as inline caching of attribute access sites. I think Unladen Swallow does all this already to some extent, but they're running on google-fuel :shobon: I'd love to go into details on stuff if anyone has any questions or comments

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

bitreaper posted:

Spent a few months working on this, going back to it once I finish all the arts courses they want me to take to round out my degree...
This is pretty awesome, have you considered trying to make it stand-alone for game integration if it's capable of running in real time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

This is pretty awesome, have you considered trying to make it stand-alone for game integration if it's capable of running in real time?

In the video it seemed to vary from .5 to 20 fps.