Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Phat_Albert posted:

Someone should offer to buy KRock an account here.
But that might stop people from openly mocking him and the Dorkroom postcount would go down by 25% - can't have that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Cross_ posted:

But that might stop people from openly mocking him and the Dorkroom postcount would go down by 25% - can't have that.

I'm sure that his personal posting would make up for it.

"My review of a camera I don't have"
"99 more reasons digital photography can never compare to film"
"Why everyone should only buy a D40, except me, I get a D3X"
"Send me cash to feed my starving family"

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

orange lime posted:

"Send me cash to feed my starving family"

Probably because his fat gremlin of a wife eats all the food.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Haggins posted:

Why, she looks like a Bajoran. This must be the one who he gives $20 bills instead of flowers, because she gets mad that flowers die and the money is just gone. (Seriously).

(Those stockings in the back are pretty loving creepy, too)

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Ken Rockwell is that uncle you have that's into photography but likes talking more about it than taking pictures. Somehow he managed to be read by millions.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

"Ken Rockwell never flips his camera in portrait position, he flips the earth"

More like Ken Rockwell never flips his camera to portrait position, he prepares for the shot and waits for the world to revolve around him.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Reichstag posted:

That's a pretty poor analogy.

It's a great analogy, because it makes both sides of the argument. You can make fantastic furniture by hand, and you can make it with modern tools.

I have a friend who is a blacksmith. He uses tools from the mid-1800's to the late twentieth century. He doesn't care when it was made, just whether it helps him get the job done. Brian May used a cheap rear end electric guitar for years, because it had a unique sound, but it wasn't better than a more expensive, more tonally accurate guitar, just the tool suited his purpose. Screaming "the tools don't matter" is just as stupid as pixel peeping, trading in lenses until you get one that reproduces news print with 100% accuracy then shooting charts with it.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Paragon8 posted:

We already have a Ken Rockwell of something awful.
Whatever happened to Friendship Waffle anyway?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

GyroFry posted:

Namir Noor-Eldeen age 22, who came from a family of journalists and was considered to be one of the best war photographers in Iraq.

Namir was one of the most respected Reuters employees in Baghdad. He poses here with a camera identical, or similar to that held during the attack that took his life.

Saeed Chmagh, 40, pictured with Namir, was a respected Reuters driver and assistant. He is survived by his wife and four children.

Apache helicopters like this one attacked and killed about a dozen people in the Iraqi suburb of New Baghdad. Apaches are equipped with Hellfire missiles, and with 30-mm machine guns, which are armed with shells used to penetrate thick armor-plating. Two children were also wounded.

The pilot of the Apache helicopter "mistook" Namir's camera as this type of rocket-launcher.

This is the same type of lens that the pilot of the Apache helicopter "mistook" as a rocket-launcher.

This is the minivan that was attacked while two men tried to rescue the critically wounded Saeed and place him inside the van. Inside the minivan were two children and their father.

From Saeed’s funeral – note the Apache helicopter hovering in the background.

From Saeed's burial.

Saeed's coffin.

Saeed's grieving son.

From Namir's burial.

Namir's coffin.

Second-to-last photo taken by Namir before he was killed.

Saleh Matasher Tomal, born 1964. A married father of four. He made a living hiring out his minivan. It was the family’s source of income.

5 year old Doaha at the hospital after the attack.

10 year old Sayad at the hospital after the attack.

Crosspost from D&D concerning recent events. Canon claims another life :ohdear:

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Yup, saw the video last night. Incredibly sad.

Performula
Apr 7, 2009
Ah please don't make jokes about this. It's such a terrible tragedy.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Performula posted:

Ah please don't make jokes about this. It's such a terrible tragedy.

Yes. Seriously, watch the video. Realize that the footage of a dozen happy civilians walking and joking in the street before being shredded by anti-tank cannon fire, after several minutes of observation and debate by the helicopter crew and their commanders, is completely real.

Not only does the helicopter gunner utterly annihilate the crowd of people because he mistakes what is obviously a camera for an RPG, but they then blow up the van of people (with identifiable children in the front seat) who are clearly just picking up the wounded and the dead. There is no blood or gore and it is still one of the most horrifying things I've ever witnessed.

VVVVVV Everyone is free to comment, I didn't judge anyone (just stated the facts and my reaction), and you need to get your head out of your rear end. Watch the loving video.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 6, 2010

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

orange lime posted:

Yes. Seriously, watch the video. Realize that the footage of a dozen happy civilians walking and joking in the street before being shredded by anti-tank cannon fire, after several minutes of observation and debate by the helicopter crew and their commanders, is completely real.

Not only does the helicopter gunner utterly annihilate the crowd of people because he mistakes what is obviously a camera for an RPG, but they then blow up the van of people (with identifiable children in the front seat) who are clearly just picking up the wounded and the dead. There is no blood or gore and it is still one of the most horrifying things I've ever witnessed.

Man good to know that you know so much about the situation that you can freely comment and judge everyone involved.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Well my night is ruined. I've seen dozens of "apache killing people" videos, but the people on the radio really should be in jail for the nonchalant way they went about mowing down people who were obviously innocent. It was seriously like listening to the chatter in a multiplayer game of MW2.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Please stay safe, dorkroom buddies. :(
That video is utterly infuriating.

(big props for the black humor of crossposting the Sigma bazookalens though)

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 6, 2010

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What is the dude in center frame from about 3.38 holding? It does look a lot like a rifle.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

TsarAleksi posted:

Man good to know that you know so much about the situation that you can freely comment and judge everyone involved.

Good to have reminders that no matter the human tragedy, people can be brain washed by nationalism to apologize for it. Whenever I wonder how the German population could allow the events of WW2 to unfold around them with relatively little objections, I just look at American and Israeli sentiment about their military's current actions.

The events of that video happen often, and it's only because two Reuters employees were involved that it made news, and that the video was able to be seen. Makes me wonder if you even watched it, because anyone with two brain cells to rub together can detect the bloodlust and delight in murdering those people that everyone recorded displayed.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

dissss posted:

What is the dude in center frame from about 3.38 holding? It does look a lot like a rifle.

Yeah and? Americans just passed a law allowing them to own and have AK47s, something that is also legal in Afganistan to have for protection.

Despite that no one involved was confirmed to have any weapons at all, not that holding one means you can mow down them and everyone in a 10 meter radius, AND anyone that comes to help them after. The guy in the van was driving his kids to work, stopped to help a man crawling away from a scene of carnage, and was killed by a floating million dollar gunship kilometers away.

Also remember that everyone in that video has already been cleared of all charges.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I think some of you guys don't understand the words 'fun stuff'.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
You can't take the fun out of funeral :haw: ....

:smith: lets get back to mock ken some more instead.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Haggins posted:

In the library, had to stifle a guffaw.

spf3million posted:

He was called out on being a gratuitous dick when criticizing people's images while never posting anything himself, and I think someone proved him wrong in some obscure argument about printing arcana around the same time. I can't remember if he got an ultimatum from the CC mod or just bowed out on his own.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Haggins posted:

If someone sent me this with their Christmas card, I would have to resist the urge to mail them a "Let it Snow" card in an envelope full of Anthrax.

Rated PG-34 posted:

Crosspost from D&D concerning recent events. Canon claims another life :ohdear:
Nobody really cared in GBS, but I was proud of myself,and even more angry at the gunner, when he was kneeling behind the building and I recognized it as a 70-200 with hood. If I can see that at Youtube low-res quality, anyone who couldn't at least see it was a camera has eyesight so bad they shouldn't be flying or shooting anything.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 6, 2010

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

PnP Bios
Oct 24, 2005
optional; no images are allowed, only text

Pompous Rhombus posted:

In the library, had to stifle a guffaw.

He was called out on being a gratuitous dick when criticizing people's images while never posting anything himself, and I think someone proved him wrong in some obscure argument about printing arcana around the same time. I can't remember if he got an ultimatum from the CC mod or just bowed out on his own.

I've seen him making GBS threads up YOSPOS.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dissss posted:

It is a rifle. Carrying a rifle there is not indicative of anything, though, every day people carry AK47s without being part of the insurgency.

Not to mention, there was a recently revealed incident where a local chief of police and another official were killed when they came out of their homes carrying AK47s in response to gunfire.

I know lots of guys who kill people for a living. They're normally pretty normal, stable people, and they can be trusted to do the right thing. Put them on their third deployment, in an urban environment with a hostile (with good reason) populace, and bad things happen. The thing is, the fog of war is such that, as a rule, I'm not quick to condemn the trigger pullers, although the chatter in this case and the video make me much less sympathetic to that argument than normal. There have been a lot of civilian casualties in this conflict, and it's tragic not matter what else is going on.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

torgeaux posted:

I know lots of guys who kill people for a living. They're normally pretty normal, stable people, and they can be trusted to do the right thing. Put them on their third deployment, in an urban environment with a hostile (with good reason) populace, and bad things happen. The thing is, the fog of war is such that, as a rule, I'm not quick to condemn the trigger pullers, although the chatter in this case and the video make me much less sympathetic to that argument than normal. There have been a lot of civilian casualties in this conflict, and it's tragic not matter what else is going on.

I think that's the heart of it. If they were like: "OH poo poo gently caress gently caress gently caress" then that would be one thing that could be interpreted as a panic response but it sounds like they were fairly deliberate about what they were doing.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

spf3million posted:

I had a startling moment a couple of days ago when a friend that posts in automotive insanity or something was like "Yo, ken rockwell!" because he picked up that ken rockwell was a photographer from Waffle's custom title.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

HPL posted:

I think that's the heart of it. If they were like: "OH poo poo gently caress gently caress gently caress" then that would be one thing that could be interpreted as a panic response but it sounds like they were fairly deliberate about what they were doing.

Right, but the way I interpreted it, they never thought that they were deliberately killing civilians. Unless you're some kind of LF conspiracy nut who thinks they were lying to get permission to fire, the chatter makes them really unsympathetic in human terms but it says nothing in terms of their intention to kill innocents.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

TsarAleksi posted:

Right, but the way I interpreted it, they never thought that they were deliberately killing civilians. Unless you're some kind of LF conspiracy nut who thinks they were lying to get permission to fire, the chatter makes them really unsympathetic in human terms but it says nothing in terms of their intention to kill innocents.

True, in no way did they think they where killing civilians, they where hostiles and they though they had spotted weapons and fire, 99% of the time they would be right, they have probably killed hundreds in the same manner, and rightly so. Its just that this time they got it very wrong, any they should have taken more time to assess the situation.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

torgeaux makes a good point. We're watching this video calmly sitting at our desks, not contantly worrying whether or not someone is trying to kill us. No doubt they made a mistake but there are a lot of human factors issues we're not considering. Think about it from the soldiers' point of view. You see a group of guys in a war zone, one with a rifle. Next thing you see is a guy ducking behind a building pointing a barrel at your chopper. We know what happened before we even watched that video. These guys see some pretty suspicious activity, then they see a guy making moves similar to that of someone who is about to launch an RPG. Situations like these are ripe for errors.

Anyway back to the fun...

This is a pretty interesting link, especially if you hate microstock. Maybe microstock won't take over the world after all?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

fronkpies posted:

From that angle he kind of looks like Dr. Cox from scrubs.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I sometimes forget LFF isn't completely populated by people older than my parents:

Click here for the full 1224x947 image.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Anyone apologizing for the actions inside the video is human scum. hth

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

poopinmymouth posted:

Just to clarify I agree completely, But I do understand how and why it can happen.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Haggins posted:

Anyway back to the fun...

This is a pretty interesting link, especially if you hate microstock. Maybe microstock won't take over the world after all?

Saw this and laughed, and the comments are even better. Unfortunately, I doubt this will change anybody's mind, the kind of person that goes "who cares, it looks better/is cheaper/has more diversity" isn't likely to care about the fact that other companies are using the same image. It's always a struggle to get people to understand that anywhere, you have to weigh quality against cost.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

poopinmymouth posted:

brad industry
May 22, 2004
What's upsetting about that video is how casual they are about committing a war crime. The guy begging the photographer to pick something up so he could shoot him made me feel sick.

It's also pretty clear they have been trained to say certain things in order to be clear under the rules of war. It goes from "We see one guy maybe holding something" to "crowd of 20 hostiles with 5 guns firing and a RPG" in the same breath.

Also I think if I genuinely believed I had fired on insurgents and then found out I blew up a van full of kids my reaction would not be "Well they shouldn't have been in a war zone*"

* aka. their neighborhood

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

brad industry posted:

It's also pretty clear they have been trained to say certain things in order to be clear under the rules of war. It goes from "We see one guy maybe holding something" to "crowd of 20 hostiles with 5 guns firing and a RPG" in the same breath.

Also to dehumanize their enemy, soldiers are trained like that from the first day they sign up, tango, raghead, gook, insurgent, krout, there all the same word basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

brad industry posted:

Also I think if I genuinely believed I had fired on insurgents and then found out I blew up a van full of kids my reaction would not be "Well they shouldn't have been in a war zone*"

I think that anyone who was told they'd blown up a van full of kids would make some pretty crazy mental leaps to try and justify it to themselves.