Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers
I'm so late to the party on this band that it's completely shameful, but I just picked up gently caress World Trade and Mediocre Generica by Leftover Crack along with Choking Victim's Crack Rock Steady/Squatta's Paradise. Holy poo poo, awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Big D's cover of New England?

I like their cover of Wailing Paddle a lot more, wish it didn't clip so much though. But I don't know if Big D should be included in a best covers conversation.

I love RBFs cover of Take on Me.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
The best Big D cover is hands down Little Bitch, but that's just cause it's an amazing song and they didn't really change anything. They still pulled it off really well though.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Reverend Sub-Zero posted:

I'm so late to the party on this band that it's completely shameful, but I just picked up gently caress World Trade and Mediocre Generica by Leftover Crack along with Choking Victim's Crack Rock Steady/Squatta's Paradise. Holy poo poo, awesome.

You should also look into a little band, no longer with us, called No Cash

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 3, 2010

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Miscellaneous_T posted:

I only think Hello Rockview is alright compared to Losing Streak.

For real Losing Streak is such a killer album

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

not a dinosaur posted:

For real Losing Streak is such a killer album

Losing Streak owns, yes, but Hello Rockview is amazing

Like I said earlier though, part of that is because Scott Farcas was Babby's First Ska Song and it was the end of senior year and that song and Al's War were my anthem for the last few months of it, and part of that is because it just really is an awesome album

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Dickeye posted:

Like I said earlier though, part of that is because Scott Farcas was Babby's First Ska Song and it was the end of senior year and that song and Al's War were my anthem for the last few months of it, and part of that is because it just really is an awesome album

Agreeing with this. "Nervous In The Alley" was one of the first songs I learned to play on the drums, that album will always hold a special place in my heart.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

Losing Streak has a lot of really great songs but Hello Rockview is awesome from start to finish.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Dickeye posted:

Scott Farcas was Babby's First Ska Song

mine was never going back to new jersey so i have the same view of losing streak as you do for hello rockview. basically in my eyes they are 1a and 1b. also borders and boundaries is criminally underrated and it's like 1.5

i'm going to go on the wordpress right now and hook you up with the invite and then sit down and write my 99SOR review. anyone else who wants to contribute, give me your email you signed/will sign up with and i'll send you an invite.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I've got it. I'm waiting on my friend to email me stuff about RazSum so I'm going to write something else, either the Hello Rockview one or something about 4point0/Skatos/the 'cuse scene in general

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

guppy posted:

Losing Streak has a lot of really great songs but Hello Rockview is awesome from start to finish.

That's interesting, because I feel that way too, just reverse the albums. All the instruments on Hello Rockview sound really weird too, especially the clangy guitar during the clean parts.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

99SOR review is up

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Pretty sure the Punk Rock Girl solo is on trombone, not sax

Also I'm putting money on the other Streetlight 99SOR album having a cover of Point/Keasbey

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

sounds like a sax to me v:shobon:v

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Re: New England

I don't know if you guys have have heard the original, but I've liked Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers for a while, even before I heard the Big D version, because my aunt used to have a ton of his stuff and made us listen to it when I was a kid.

original
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkQSiDa4v6g

I mean its pretty much a straight cover plus horns, and that's totally fine, not to mention all Boston-based bands have to do an obligatory few (or in the case of Dropkick Murphys, all) songs about being from Boston, so there you go.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

I saw mention of RazSum. Who are they? Why are they a big deal? Rudegoons enlighten me!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

here's the 93 ska covers i have on my itunes (not counting the asob nirvana and radiohead live albums) someone check to see if i have any ridiculous oversights so i can add them and start making this list

the aquabats
- the controller
- why rock?

big d
- wailing paddle
- new england
- little bitch
- thieves
- iron maiden

btmi!
- pike st. - park slope
- anywhere i lay my head

the fabulous rudies - 99 luft balloons

five iron frenzy
- it's not unusual
- mama mia
- sweet talkin' woman

frank furillo - the final countdown

the hippos
- so lonely
- there's always something there to remind me

johnny socko - don't tell her you love me

less than jake
- basically all of goodbye blue & white
- surrender
- laverne and shirley
- 867-5309 (jenny)
- dukes of hazzard

mephiskapheles - bumble bee tuna song

mighty mighty bosstones
- rudie can't fail
- tin soliders
- detroit rock city
- ain't talkin' about love
- simmer down

mu330 - motorbreath
nicotine - cherry pie
peacocks - ballroom blitz

pietasters
- same ol' song
- big balls

the porkers - kickstart my heart

reel big fish
- whole fame, fortune, fornication album
- take on me
- new york, new york
- we close our eyes
- kiss me deadly
- another day in paradise
- boys don't cry
- nothin' like a dame
- mele kalikimaka
- love boat
- hungry like the wolf
- boss dj
- story of my life

with zolof the rock and roll destroyer:
- ask
- lyin' rear end bitch
- it's not easy
- dress you up
- don't you want me
- say say say

regatta 69 - talk dirty to me
rx bandits - holy wars
save ferris - come on eileen
skif dank - you give love a bad name
the slackers - wanted dead or alive

streetlight manifesto - 99SOR

suburban legends
- rose tint my world
- gummi bears theme

thumper - the trooper

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?
Skankin' Pickle has a cover album. :ssh:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Thornes posted:

I saw mention of RazSum. Who are they? Why are they a big deal? Rudegoons enlighten me!

An awesome local band from Syracuse whose music I gave out

This is Unsavory
Feb 14, 2009

Obama Yo Mama posted:

suburban legends
- rose tint my world

Definitely one of the few good SL songs from when Chris Batstone was their lead singer. In fact, probably the only SL song from those days that doesn't sound weird because of his voice. His voice wasn't bad, it just didn't fit their sound. The Tim Maurer re-recording of their first EP is so much better, and sounds way less awkward.

This is Unsavory fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 7, 2010

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Reverend Sub-Zero posted:

The only thing I've heard from Leftover Crack is their split with F-Minus, which I really enjoyed.

Streetlight Manifesto really needs to go on tour again, I've only seen them once with Less Than Jake, Against All Authority, and Reel Big Fish (who really surprised me, not a big fan of their recorded stuff, but really fun live)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kalit posted:

The only thing I've heard from Leftover Crack is their split with F-Minus, which I really enjoyed.

Streetlight Manifesto really needs to go on tour again, I've only seen them once with Less Than Jake, Against All Authority, and Reel Big Fish (who really surprised me, not a big fan of their recorded stuff, but really fun live)

That sounds like the best tour

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dickeye posted:

That sounds like the best tour

It was p. great but LTJ had their Price is Right-style album cover wheel, and they spun In With the Out Crowd, and so that's what they focused on.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Yea, that was a really great show, especially because I saw it in Sioux Falls which never get any good shows. Although AAA got pissed because it seems like no one had heard of them (big shocker being a Reel Big Fish headlining show in Sioux Falls). I even managed to snag a copy of In With the Out Crowd on vinyl there (yes, I'm sure 90% of the people here probably hates it, but I like it). Sadly I haven't even seen Less Than Jake since that show either.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

drunk asian neighbor posted:

It was p. great but LTJ had their Price is Right-style album cover wheel, and they spun In With the Out Crowd, and so that's what they focused on.

I was at that show, it was amazing, and they spun Anthem and Hello Rockview, so it was basically the best show ever.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I missed Less Than Jake with Reel Big Fish and the Flatliners by a day on my last visit to my parents, tried to get an extra day off work but they wouldn't let me :smith:

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
covers you missed:

BTMI:

-gold soundz

-if assholes got awards i'd have a trophy case

-this graceless planet

mustard plug:

-waiting room

-the freshman

the slackers - wanted dead or alive

the suicide machines - I don't wanna hear it

nervous rex - hell

forces of evil - dance the night away

bim skala bim:

-shakin all over

-train song

-brain damage

the aquabats:

-zero hour

-big sky

- throw away the trash

I'm sure there's plenty more I'm not thinking of right now, but it's loving early.

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 7, 2010

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

BTMI:
-4 Inches
-Little Brother
-A Shine To It
-Ghost of Corporate Future

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Kalit posted:

Yea, that was a really great show, especially because I saw it in Sioux Falls which never get any good shows. Although AAA got pissed because it seems like no one had heard of them (big shocker being a Reel Big Fish headlining show in Sioux Falls). I even managed to snag a copy of In With the Out Crowd on vinyl there (yes, I'm sure 90% of the people here probably hates it, but I like it). Sadly I haven't even seen Less Than Jake since that show either.

When I saw them with the wheel it landed on Pezcore. Played the entire thing. It was awesome.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why didn't this thread come up two years ago when I still had my radio show?

The Gadjits:
Mustang Sally
Skinhead Girl

The Hippos:
Freeze Up

Bad Manners:
My Girl Lollipop
Can-can

The Aquabats!:
Ska Boss

The Scofflaws:
Pee-wee's Big Adventure

The Clash:
Armagideon Time
Police & Thieves
Pressure Drop

The Specials:
A Message To You, Rudy

The English Beat:
Tears of a Clown

The Skatalites have done plenty of covers, too, if you want to take it way back.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The Specials did a really good cover of Pressure Drop as well.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does the Good Charlotte song that uses lines from "Rudy, A Message to You" count? :v:

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Those 2-Tone bands did tons of covers and reinterpretations.

The Specials:
- Monkey Man (Toots & the Maytals)
- Too Hot (Prince Buster)
- Maggie's Farm (Bob Dylan)
- You're Wondering Now (Andy & Joey)
- Enjoy Yourself (cover of the Prince Buster version)

Madness:
- Madness (Prince Buster)
- One Step Beyond (Prince Buster)

The Selecter:
- Carry Go Bring Come (Justin Hinds)

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

interpunct posted:

Madness:
- One Step Beyond (Prince Buster)

:aaaaa:

Psychedelic
Jul 31, 2009

Reel Big Fish covered Unity
Which was originally done by Operation Ivy

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

The Reel Big Fish cover was actually a pretty straightforward cover of this version that Op Ivy recorded.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Miscellaneous_T posted:

The Reel Big Fish cover was actually a pretty straightforward cover of this version that Op Ivy recorded.

Holy poo poo

Kilowog
Jun 28, 2006

I am quite fond of The Aquabats cover of Op Ivy's "Knowledge"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kilowog posted:

I am quite fond of The Aquabats cover of Op Ivy's "Knowledge"

OUT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i knew about those aquabats covers from yo check out this ride but i forgot about them.

i had no idea all those songs from others! others! were covers. don't tell me that poo poo becuase now i'm going to end up putting the whole album on there. who the hell did they cover those songs from

This is Unsavory posted:

Definitely one of the few good SL songs from when Chris Batstone was their lead singer. In fact, probably the only SL song from those days that doesn't sound weird because of his voice. His voice wasn't bad, it just didn't fit their sound. The Tim Maurer re-recording of their first EP is so much better, and sounds way less awkward.

i'm glad someone is with me on this. rose tint my world is one of my favorite covers.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

The Clash:
Police & Thieves

get the gently caress out of here....

e: okay i found the original 'if assholes got awards' and it owns but now the btmi version has immediately shot into my top 5

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 9, 2010