Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

TurboLuvah posted:

That policy is so loving bullshit, I hope the FCC eventually does something about it.

No it really isn't and they can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Why would you get a phone like a Blackberry and NOT get a data plan?

Get a regular phone then...

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Shnooks posted:

Some people think they can have the phone and use the data part on Wifi saving that $30 a month.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
They are killing me with these articles:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-bold-9650-images

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

At T-mobile you can buy a blackberry without the data plan, you just have to buy it at the full retail cost. Seems like a fair compromise to me.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Radio Nowhere posted:

Some people think they can have the phone and use the data part on Wifi saving that $30 a month.

While some people do think that, I am not one of them, I understand that unfortunately you can't use WiFi for pretty much anything on a phone besides browsing the internet.

big mean giraffe posted:

No it really isn't and they can't.

Requiring a consumer to purchase a data plan when buying certain phones isn't bullshit, and is a great idea? What if I want to use my Blackberry without a data plan? Explain.

Shnooks posted:

Because I like how Blackberries are setup, they're very useful to organize everything, and regular phones loving blow and don't have qwerty keyboards.

It's a matter of choice. If you don't want an optional feature, you're handcuffed to getting certain shitass phones.

Edit: Every AT&T or T-Mobile store I've gone into has said that I needed a data plan with a Blackberry, even if I DID pay full retail for the phone.

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 9, 2010

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

TurboLuvah posted:

Edit: Every AT&T or T-Mobile store I've gone into has said that I needed a data plan with a Blackberry, even if I DID pay full retail for the phone.

I just had an idea. What if you call AT&T and tell them you've gone temporarily blind, so you literally cannot use the data plan? I know deaf people can do this to get out of having a voice plan (and use data only) so why not give it a shot :)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TurboLuvah posted:

While some people do think that, I am not one of them, I understand that unfortunately you can't use WiFi for pretty much anything on a phone besides browsing the internet.

Requiring a consumer to purchase a data plan when buying certain phones isn't bullshit, and is a great idea? What if I want to use my Blackberry without a data plan? Explain.

Because I like how Blackberries are setup, they're very useful to organize everything, and regular phones loving blow and don't have qwerty keyboards.

It's a matter of choice. If you don't want an optional feature, you're handcuffed to getting certain shitass phones.

If you want a Blackberry on TMobile or AT&T without them knowing it, you need a Blackberry not registered in the system. Aka a blackberr tour or storm from Sprint/Verizon that have SIM Card slots. I do not think (but wouldn't guarantee) that they would pick up on that. Anyone else have thoughts on whether they would figure it out?

I have an extra Blackberry Tour i've been looking to sell for $200, i have used it previously on TMo (albeit with data plan) so it def works. Feel free to PM me if you want it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nevergirls posted:

I just had an idea. What if you call AT&T and tell them you've gone temporarily blind, so you literally cannot use the data plan? I know deaf people can do this to get out of having a voice plan (and use data only) so why not give it a shot :)

Kinda a slap in the face to blind people though...

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad
On one hand, the required data plan is actually to the benefit of the consumer.

If I understand Blackberry's, they often pull data without the knowledge of the user. If a 16 year old gets a Blackberry because they're a cool, cheap smartphone, and doesn't realize that the little blinking icon in the top right corner means it's pulling data, and the family gets a $1,000 overage on their cell phone bill -- that's a headache that the cell phone company doesn't want to deal with and the family won't want to be stuck with. I think there was probably a time when you could get a smartphone without a data plan, but the way smartphones are developing (constantly streaming data in the background, drawing information from cloud-type services and heaping more and more data into the phone for more intense applications like Pandora and Youtube) -- I think those days have passed.

That's not to say the cell phone companies don't want to stick you with as many monthly charges as possible -- I'm sure they aren't noble at heart. But it isn't a strictly draconian move -- there certainly is logic to it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Before I switched to Sprint, I used AT&T with a BB. I bought a used 8700c for cheap, wiped it, popped in my SIM card and that was that. Just used it as a somewhat internet capable phone without the BB features or plan.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

Kinda a slap in the face to blind people though...

They should have thought of that before they went blind.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
My EnV2 had a great keyboard and worked fine, setup wise :confused: It eventually stopped charging so I had to get a new phone.

Edit: What I'm saying is there are QWERTY phones that don't suck and don't require a data plan.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

So I have a BlackBerry that I'm looking to unlock, and I'm really curious why there are tons of people online that can do it. Do they have some piece of software? Why isn't it more publicly available? I'm just really curious how creating the unlock code works.

internetpizza
May 8, 2007

Oh man, grownups and their sleazy conversations!
I've got a strange problem, figured this would be the place to ask. I've had my 8330 Curve for almost a year now (through US Cellular), and it has always picked up my email the instant it hits my online inbox. Cut to a few days ago, it stopped checking my email automatically. If I go to the options and hit "Reconcile Now" I then get the emails that it should have been picking up in the first place.

This also happens when I end a call. Call ends, cue a minute of it vibrating as all the emails it didn't pick up are picked up.

Any ideas?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SuspectedIdiot posted:

I've got a strange problem, figured this would be the place to ask. I've had my 8330 Curve for almost a year now (through US Cellular), and it has always picked up my email the instant it hits my online inbox. Cut to a few days ago, it stopped checking my email automatically. If I go to the options and hit "Reconcile Now" I then get the emails that it should have been picking up in the first place.

This also happens when I end a call. Call ends, cue a minute of it vibrating as all the emails it didn't pick up are picked up.

Any ideas?

Pull the battery, wait a minute, put it back in.

If that doesn't fix it, call you provider, ask for a re-push of the service books.

And if that doesn't fix it, well, there are other options, but they get longer and more involved. there is also the chance that us cellular is having some sort of issue on their end.

internetpizza
May 8, 2007

Oh man, grownups and their sleazy conversations!

EoRaptor posted:

Pull the battery, wait a minute, put it back in.

Can't believe I didn't try this beforehand. Email is now operating correctly, thanks!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

SuspectedIdiot posted:

Can't believe I didn't try this beforehand. Email is now operating correctly, thanks!
the definitive BB fixall.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I got a question of sorts. I dropped my Bold 9000 last week and cracked the screen. I've already opened it to see which of the 3 screen models I need to order. However, does anybody know of a supplier in the US that sells Blackberry parts that aren't huge ripoffs and actually have inventory onhand so I don't have to wait 3 weeks to get it from Hong Kong?

Etar
Mar 13, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

If you want a Blackberry on TMobile or AT&T without them knowing it, you need a Blackberry not registered in the system. Aka a blackberry tour or storm from Sprint/Verizon that have SIM Card slots. I do not think (but wouldn't guarantee) that they would pick up on that. Anyone else have thoughts on whether they would figure it out?

I can verify this, as I'm using Pearl 8110 on T-Mobile without a data plan. In fact, since I didn't buy the pearl as part of the T-Mobile plan, I was able to set up the $10/mo "basic" data package with the pearl (had it for a month, then removed it). The Blackberry/PDA department at T-Mobile was quite efficient at getting me service books for it without changing my plan to the $25/mo "blackberry data" plan.

On a side note, there's info about a new Blackberry Pearl 9100 everywhere, it seems. The rumors/facts/speculations:

-Suretype keyboard, as like the original blackberry
-WiFi and 3G
-3.2 MP camera
-256MB of app memory
-OS 5
-"Pearl" trackball replaced with trackpad, like on the Bold 9700
-360 x 400 display

So, if you were thinking about buying an old pearl, you might consider waiting until the new one launches, in case of a price drop.

BiohazrD posted:

So I have a BlackBerry that I'm looking to unlock, and I'm really curious why there are tons of people online that can do it. Do they have some piece of software? Why isn't it more publicly available? I'm just really curious how creating the unlock code works.

Unlocking a blackberry requires an unlock code from your [old/current] carrier. The carrier can probably also give you instructions for unlocking it, or you can use the (probably identical) instructions here:

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_unlock_my_BlackBerry%3F

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
Currently the owner of a badly battered G1. How does the Bold 9700 compare, battery-wise, on T-Mobile? I'm kind of over touchscreens, and the G1's hardware keyboard just isn't working properly anymore.

While I'm thinking about it, is there a service similar to how Google Maps is integrated into Android? Where you can use GPS to search for, say, "chinese food" near you, then select a result and call the phone number associated with the address.

frobert blamble
Feb 6, 2009

by T. Finn

Chocolate Donuts posted:

While I'm thinking about it, is there a service similar to how Google Maps is integrated into Android? Where you can use GPS to search for, say, "chinese food" near you, then select a result and call the phone number associated with the address.
Yes, Google has a suite of apps for BlackBerry that includes Google Maps. You can search locally and call right from the app.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

frobert blamble posted:

Yes, Google has a suite of apps for BlackBerry that includes Google Maps. You can search locally and call right from the app.

Awesome, that was one of my biggest concerns. Thanks. :)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Chocolate Donuts posted:

Currently the owner of a badly battered G1. How does the Bold 9700 compare, battery-wise, on T-Mobile? I'm kind of over touchscreens, and the G1's hardware keyboard just isn't working properly anymore.

I can't speak to t-mobile, but my battery life on my 9700 is phenomenal. I streamed Sirius on it for over 5 hours the other day on wifi and still had 60% battery life. On average I can go 3 days of my normal usage between charges.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Chocolate Donuts posted:

If you like Android there's always the MyTouch slide coming out soon, with a KB and next-gen stuff. I switched from a BB a few months ago and can probably answer a lot of BB->Android comparison questions if you want to google talk at me at codito at gmail.

Beef Tube
Mar 28, 2004

ffffffffff
This is such a stupid question I cant even believe I'm asking it, but here goes.

The GF and I currently have a couple of iPhones on AT&T. We're sick of Apple's fuckery, AT&T's network shittiness, and paying $170/mo on a family plan. We're looking at setting up a Sprint EPRP plan for $109/mo and get ourselves a couple of Blackberry Tours.

The EPRP plan apparently has BIS services included. However, I will likely want to integrate with my office's BES server to I can get all my Exchange mail/calendar items/etc.

PREPARE FOR THE DUMB:

Do I really need to pay the extra $20 for the BES plan, or is that something that you're supposed to purchase but it may/may not work without it?

I ask this because at one point I had a Curve 8110 with AT&Tthat had only the BIS plan and was able to authenticate on my company's BES server with it. Unfortunately I had to return the phone due to some issues with it, but it seemed to work.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beef Tube posted:

This is such a stupid question I cant even believe I'm asking it, but here goes.

The GF and I currently have a couple of iPhones on AT&T. We're sick of Apple's fuckery, AT&T's network shittiness, and paying $170/mo on a family plan. We're looking at setting up a Sprint EPRP plan for $109/mo and get ourselves a couple of Blackberry Tours.

The EPRP plan apparently has BIS services included. However, I will likely want to integrate with my office's BES server to I can get all my Exchange mail/calendar items/etc.

PREPARE FOR THE DUMB:

Do I really need to pay the extra $20 for the BES plan, or is that something that you're supposed to purchase but it may/may not work without it?

I ask this because at one point I had a Curve 8110 with AT&Tthat had only the BIS plan and was able to authenticate on my company's BES server with it. Unfortunately I had to return the phone due to some issues with it, but it seemed to work.

Actually, kind of a good question. If your previous one worked like that, try it with these two phones. Worst case you have to add it on later. You got 30 days if you don't like it at all.

Also, Tour is great, but Sprint is gearing up to launch its replacement soon. If you NEED to switch now go for it, but hopefully better phones are in the pipeline.

Also, def consider the HTC Evo. Android works fine with Exchange.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Beef Tube posted:

I'm a BES administrator and I will tell you that every time I had a user tell me that his blackberry "works without the extra plan", it means they are getting their corporate email via BIS and are either not syncing calendar/contacts/tasks, or syncing over USB. Now it also might depend on when this happened... But I have yet to see a successful BES activation with a user that has the wrong plan.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Beef Tube posted:

PREPARE FOR THE DUMB:

First, you are a goddamned idiot to buy any sort of BlackBerry. Second, if you are that stupid in the first place to go with a BlackBerry, at least wait for the Bold 9650 which has double the RAM and is definitely ready for OS 6.0.

Wait 2 more months and get the HTC Evo. RIM is just catching up to 2009 with OS 6.0, which will launch later this year with a WebKit browser so your browsing experience doesn't make you throw the phone against the wall and something that doesn't completely look out of 1995. The Evo does Exchange great through the HTC Sense UI interface on the phone. Plus you can have most of the cool iPhone apps without having to deal with an Apple product.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Godzilla07 posted:

First, you are a goddamned idiot to buy any sort of BlackBerry. Second, if you are that stupid in the first place to go with a BlackBerry, at least wait for the Bold 9650 which has double the RAM and is definitely ready for OS 6.0.

Hey man, some people like Blackberry. I'll agree Android has better features, but some people just like Blackberry. At least it isn't WinMo.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Hey man, some people like Blackberry. I'll agree Android has better features, but some people just like Blackberry. At least it isn't WinMo.

Not when there's a nice and clear better option out there. You could buy a modern smartphone with the Evo, or an e-mail machine that can't do much else than e-mail like the Tour.

I'm also bitter towards RIM. They left out RAM and a good camera on the 9000 to make you buy the 9700. They left out 3G to make you buy the 9700 if you had an 8900. Apple doesn't pull this poo poo off, Palm doesn't pull this poo poo off and HTC really hasn't.

e: I may remind you that I'm using an EDGE smartphone in 2010. This means I have to listen to 96 kbps Pandora. I can't wait for the Evo.

Beef Tube
Mar 28, 2004

ffffffffff

Duckman2008 posted:

It's not that I'm in love with the Blackberry -- its that Blackberry Messenger is a corporately defined communication tool that we use a lot. I am aware of how awesome the Hero (and the upcoming Evo) are, I just can't bear to carry around 2 phones because my work-provided lovely 8830 happens to get BBM.

However, that's a good point about the upcoming bold, I may hold out.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Beef Tube posted:

It's not that I'm in love with the Blackberry -- its that Blackberry Messenger is a corporately defined communication tool that we use a lot. I am aware of how awesome the Hero (and the upcoming Evo) are, I just can't bear to carry around 2 phones because my work-provided lovely 8830 happens to get BBM.

However, that's a good point about the upcoming bold, I may hold out.

That sucks. In your case, definitely get the Bold 9650. The trackpad is definitely worth it and you're getting double the RAM that's in the current Tour (512 vs. 256.) It should be announced next week at WES and should be out on Sprint sometime in May or June.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Godzilla07 posted:

Not when there's a nice and clear better option out there. You could buy a modern smartphone with the Evo, or an e-mail machine that can't do much else than e-mail like the Tour.

I'm also bitter towards RIM. They left out RAM and a good camera on the 9000 to make you buy the 9700. They left out 3G to make you buy the 9700 if you had an 8900. Apple doesn't pull this poo poo off, Palm doesn't pull this poo poo off and HTC really hasn't.

e: I may remind you that I'm using an EDGE smartphone in 2010. This means I have to listen to 96 kbps Pandora. I can't wait for the Evo.

Yeah I hear ya, and can def understand Blackberry hating, just wanted to point that out. I feel if Blackberry screws up this new touchscreen phone with 6.0 they may start hitting a wall. Iy'll be gradual, but it'll happen.

Unrelated note, but anyone on Sprint with an old Blackberry looking to upgrade, you can trade it in (regardless of condition) for $50 off a new Curve. Depending on the phone/condition you could possibly get more on craigslist, but still not terrible.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I dunno, people seem to really love Blackberry. An Android phone is "too confusing," and only AT&T has the iPhone, not to mention the bizarre lovefest for BBM. It's a dumbphone with racing stripes, and that's good enough for people to justify the ridiculous extra prices.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

I dunno, people seem to really love Blackberry. An Android phone is "too confusing," and only AT&T has the iPhone, not to mention the bizarre lovefest for BBM. It's a dumbphone with racing stripes, and that's good enough for people to justify the ridiculous extra prices.

Surprisingly I haven't met very many BlackBerry users. The ones I've met only have Pearls that don't have data plans. All the smartphone owners I know have iPhones but there's a few MT3G users out there.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I live in what is basically Verizon Country. My campus and the people back home are basically this:

45% Blackberry
50% Messaging phone (env2, env touch, and voyager are huge)
5%: Smartphones (Droid, iPhone)

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Unrelated note, but anyone on Sprint with an old Blackberry looking to upgrade, you can trade it in (regardless of condition) for $50 off a new Curve. Depending on the phone/condition you could possibly get more on craigslist, but still not terrible.

Apparently this applies to any BlackBerry from any carrier. I wonder if they'll take my old 8700 and give me $50 for an 8530. I paid $30 for that 8700 as a backup.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Godzilla07 posted:

Apparently this applies to any BlackBerry from any carrier. I wonder if they'll take my old 8700 and give me $50 for an 8530. I paid $30 for that 8700 as a backup.

They will. You need to go to a corporate or preferred retailer, they are the only ones running the program (ex: i work at co-branded, we don't do it).

If they say no to that BBerry for whatever reason i have some broken 7800 sprint blackberry sitting at my work i can mail you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Okay, this is a weird problem, and I'm hoping someone else here knows how to deal with it. The timer in my Blackberry clock is really screwed up ever since I had it set to a 24 hour countdown once. Since then, it's been counting as if all times are +24 hours. Like if I set the timer to count down from 15 minutes, it'll count down from 24 hours 15 minutes instead. I've been fiddling with it for a while, but I haven't found any way to reset it, I was wondering if anyone else ever encountered this bug and knew how to deal with it.

• Locked thread