Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

If you were a true perfectionist you would get the head and block hot tanked :smug:

No, I would have orderd a NOS head and block from some bizzare YahooJapan if I was a perfectionist.

I would have also corrected your spelling in the "Mechanical Failure" thread when you couldn't remember whether vs. weather. :jerkbag:

ratbert90 posted:

Weather or not this is a huge issue in the long run of things isn't the issue.

I also had a go at the block with some green scrub pads. Things look much nicer - if I could find my drat camera battery charger we'd be in business with pictures.

EDIT: Owned! :rimshot:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The last 10seconds of battery power yielded this;

:ohdear:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Did you mic the ridge to see how tall it is? It looks a lot better in that last picture than the original ones you took.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
Is there a reason the pistons are stamped 1,2,2,2?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Doesn't look like it'll be within piston ring travel either.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!

Sockington posted:

I would have also corrected your spelling in the "Mechanical Failure's" thread when you couldn't remember whether vs. weather. :jerkbag:

The mechanical failure's what?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The mechanical failure is thread.

Learn some Russian.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003

Skyssx posted:

It's normal for a S10 work truck. It's not in spec, but it's normal. :v

Did you get my old S10 for a work truck or something?

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?
Sorry its taking so long to get everything sent...please accept this "non stick cookware set" as a token of my sincerity.

it's actually car parts

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
You should just go find an old metal/enamel bathtub, tack together some legs for it, fill it with something effective and build a fire under it... Home made hot-tank in the style of redneck hot-tub....

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
Holy poo poo just read this whole thread, you are some sort of sorcerer.

My grandfather has a bunch of old vehicles out in his field, and despite having no money/skills I just want to start screwing around fixing them up. Also Maine goon so, yeah, rust.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Sockington posted:

The last 10seconds of battery power yielded this;

No wonder you're having problems with that block, it's got three cylinder 2s!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Hello Sock. Would you like another project? I think I'm going to give up on my 02' Subaru Impreza TS Wagon. It seems to have the beginnings of rod knock and its been parked for a month in my driveway. I was going to rebuild the engine but my consulting has had me consumed and my time is worth more at the computer than in the garage.

I'll let it go fairly cheap if you want it. Everything except the engine is pretty great. New front struts, newer brakes, winter tires, summer tires, all the fluids and filters done. Its just a short drive away here in Ingersoll.

8ender fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 10, 2010

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
PM'd.
:neckbeard:

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

8ender posted:

I'll let it go fairly cheap if you want it. Everything except the engine is pretty great. New front struts, newer brakes, winter tires, summer tires, all the fluids and filters done. Its just a short drive away here in Ingersoll.

You drat enabler.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
How much rust does it have?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha, his next project is going to be adding another bay to the garage :v:

Sock, don't tell your wife until after you bought it.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
Whats the phrase... "Better to ask for forgiveness than for permission"...?

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.

Bucephalus posted:

How much rust does it have?

After having read sock's threads for a few years this had me laughing out loud for about 30 seconds.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

PM'ed back :haw:

I'm feeling pretty guilty about this Subaru. I really love it and I feel like a deadbeat father abandoning a child. :smith:

Heres a picture from better times

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Scrubed posted:

After having read sock's threads for a few years this had me laughing out loud for about 30 seconds.

I need to get archives so I can see the original 240SX(?) thread.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Bucephalus posted:

I need to get archives so I can see the original 240SX(?) thread.

Ignore all of this. It can be summed up as;
- bird poo poo welds
- tons of body filler
- crappy body work galore
- lovely choice in metal and poo poo welding again
- more lovely grinding/welding/etc

I am ashamed of everything I did to that car. However, I learned a lot. Still, very, very ashamed. :sweatdrop:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Sockington posted:

I am ashamed of everything I did to that car. However, I learned a lot. Still, very, very ashamed. :sweatdrop:

Don't be. It cemented your place as an AI legend. :glomp:

And made "Sock" a synonym for "rust"

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Starting off.

Idler, tensioner, and belt coming off.

Idler ready to remove.

Tensioner.

All gone.

To keep tension on the tensioner, stainless wire and my nippers. There wasn't enough room to really wrench the tensioner forward and slip the belt around the idler. Now, it only takes one person to do the belt easily.

All done.

Listen to that bearing smoothly turn from the tensioner!

Sockington fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 12, 2010

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Everything is ready for the Subaru to be a go. Just need to work out the logistics.

It's turning into an ultimateforce A.D.D. thread!:supaburn:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sock and I are attempting to plan some sort of crazy scheme to limp the Subaru down to Sarnia. Then things will get awkward when I weep like a little girl signing over the title.

Also Sock, I forgot to mention it has a remote car starter for those cold Canadian mornings :canada:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
What logistics? Fill the crankcase with 20w-50, toss the Yamaha in the back, and hit the road.

Edit 'cause wagons don't have trunks

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 12, 2010

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Just to give everyone some background on this Subaru here's the story:

This thread sort of explains my engine problems:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3254328

Heres a nice video. It usually lasts longer than this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMsBSgqtEJY

To add to this it also needs headgaskets, so the engine has to come out.

I had intended to rebuild the engine but life caught up with me in a serious way and my small business exploded with clients. With the engine starting to rattle at speed the Subaru was parked for a rebuild. A beater Nissan Maxima was purchased. At this point it looks like my time is worth more working on my business so the Subaru has to go. :( We'll need a second beater come winter and its not looking like I'll have any free time till next year for big car projects.

Who knows what's wrong with it. Hell Sock might find its something really simple. This is the first time I've ever been guaranteed full documentation of the life and times of a car after I sell it. If it ends up being some $5 part I'm going to drink myself retarded because I'm selling it to him dirt cheap.

Sock has promised to treat it nice and not complain about the horrible things I've done to it. :unsmith:

City17
Dec 3, 2006

8ender posted:

If it ends up being some $5 part I'm going to drink myself retarded because I'm selling it to him dirt cheap.

You just know that's going to be the case. Five dollar part and 30 minutes in the driveway.

He will probably drive by your house once a week and beep the horn at you just to rub it in... or at least drop off a used engine block in your lawn.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Poor little Subaru. At least it's in good hands; I'm looking forward to Sock working his magic on an EJ25.

I'm glad that your business is going well, at least. Hopefully when it's calmed down a bit you can get another Subie, or even get this one back when Sockington discovers there aren't enough problems with it to keep him occupied and kicks it outside in a rage before taking an angle grinder to a passing Camry.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jesus, I seriously thought you were joking when you mentioned it.
Enjoy, Sock!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Two Finger posted:

Jesus, I seriously thought you were joking when you mentioned it.
Enjoy, Sock!

I gotta do something when the man takes away my Forza3 time. Night shift :argh:

I'm seriously looking forward to a boring automatic Subaru - because two feet and a heartbeat sucks for getting to work.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
What am I missing to not understand the wires on the wrench? Is that what you're grabbing to be able to turn the wrench?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Fermunky posted:

What am I missing to not understand the wires on the wrench? Is that what you're grabbing to be able to turn the wrench?

The wrench is hooked up to the bolt on the tensioner. You needed to apply clock-wise turning motion to get the tensioner to allow slack in the belt (to slip on/off the belt).

Because of where I had to apply tension from above - it blocked my access to easily slip the belt under the idler pulley. So, I simply wired the wrench to the axle from BELOW and slipped on the belt with no more loving around.

Just doubled up the wire and started tightening with the almighty nippers. Didn't have to worry about the wrench slipping after that!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I'm assuming you were driving the wife's car (Focus) to work? She's probably pretty happy you're getting your own DD then I suppose.

I can't think of a better DD for Canada winters, if I stayed in NY I was going to get a Forester or the exact car you're getting because my Cherokee was sucking to much petrol. Thank god I didn't stay in NY though :v:

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Sockington posted:

The wrench is hooked up to the bolt on the tensioner. You needed to apply clock-wise turning motion to get the tensioner to allow slack in the belt (to slip on/off the belt).

Because of where I had to apply tension from above - it blocked my access to easily slip the belt under the idler pulley. So, I simply wired the wrench to the axle from BELOW and slipped on the belt with no more loving around.

Just doubled up the wire and started tightening with the almighty nippers. Didn't have to worry about the wrench slipping after that!

This was also the case on the ZX2. I put the belt up next to the tensioner pulley, jammed the two wrenches on and held them there with my thumb and used the shaft of the wrench to pop the belt onto the tensioner bit by bit.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sockington posted:

a boring automatic Subaru

:mad:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

8ender posted:

:mad:

My insurance will love me for not getting a WRX or STI. You know I'll love your car for a long time.

But seriously, automatic and N/A w/ TS suspension isn't what people call a "performance Subaru".
EDIT: I stopped by and talked to a Subaru friend of mine (swapped in a turbo motor in his 2000 4-door). He's on-board to help rebuild the motor with the overhaul gasket set, rod bearings, oil pump, etc. once I pull the motor and bring it to him.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 12, 2010

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sockington posted:

But seriously, automatic and N/A w/ TS suspension isn't what people call a "performance Subaru".

I know :( Its still loads of fun in the snow.

Also I was planning on doing the AWD 50/50 lock switch mod before I had to park it:
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f8/t99075-4eat-diff-lock-switch-handbrake-mod-torquemada-lite.html

Do this mod. You know you want to. Use a big red switch toggle switch with a flip up cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure
I can see this thread turning into 8ender and Sockington arguing endlessly about what to do w/ the Subaru.

• Locked thread