Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Captain Charisma posted:

They altered the right click menu and for a week or so it's going to drive me loving nuts. I, by instinct, go to the very top for Get Info and the bottom for Get Album Artwork. They've added a Play/Pause button to the very top, and made Get Album Artwork third or so. :argh:

This is so irritating. They also took Create MP3 Version out of it. Why would I be happier with Pause in a context window, Apple?

edit: Oh God, it's worse because I keep trying to Get Info while something else is playing.

vote_no fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

chimz posted:

Normal people - download an MP3 file, then add it to iTunes, then end up cleaning out their desktop or download folder or whatever, and would be confused if it suddenly disappeared out of iTunes. iTunes' goal is to abstract away the filesystem, ideally you shouldn't worry about where the mp3 files are stored or that they exist at all, just that you find, use, and organize your music inside iTunes.

So, like, if I had downloaded a song to my download folder - if I double-click on that song and it starts playing in iTunes, it also gets copied to the iTunes folder? I can see why that is smart, but what if you rip a song via iTunes, does it add a file both to your music folder AND the iTunes folder, so you essentially have two copies?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Eight Is Legend posted:

So, like, if I had downloaded a song to my download folder - if I double-click on that song and it starts playing in iTunes, it also gets copied to the iTunes folder? I can see why that is smart, but what if you rip a song via iTunes, does it add a file both to your music folder AND the iTunes folder, so you essentially have two copies?

If you rip a song it goes straight to your library, right? That's in the iTunes folder inside the music folder. There would be only one copy.

(I haven't ripped a CD in years...)

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
My playlists suddenly disappeared... is there a way to recover them?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm looking to make a playlist for a fan-made CD. If I use a normal one, my ipod doesn't seem to want to sync it in, only smart playlists. Is there a way I can do this?

Example:
Disc 1 of Album1
Album2

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

KuruMonkey posted:

Consolidate the library. Does exactly what you want. File->Library->Organise Library, choose Consolidate.

I just want to say thank you for this. Im going to do this to my girlfriends laptop when i go over later tonight; she hasnt had any problems YET but i can only imagine what horrible things could go wrong when she starts cleaning house on her laptop :(

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Moeru posted:

I'm looking to make a playlist for a fan-made CD. If I use a normal one, my ipod doesn't seem to want to sync it in, only smart playlists. Is there a way I can do this?

Example:
Disc 1 of Album1
Album2

I synch one-off manually -created playlists often. Are you doing anything of the following?

Connect the ipod, and check the settings.

In the Summary Panel, have you chosen "Sync only checked songs" ? If you have, are the songs you're trying to sync checked in the Music Library?

In the ipod's Music settings, have you chosen to sync "selected playlists, artists, and,genres"? If so, is the Playlist you want to sync checked in the Playlists area?

I can't think of anything else offhand that would stop you from synching a manual playlist.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

So I've heard there is an iPad book store. Is there a way to access it on a Mac or iPhone? I'm kinda curious to see what books they have.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

maltesh posted:

I synch one-off manually -created playlists often. Are you doing anything of the following?

Connect the ipod, and check the settings.

In the Summary Panel, have you chosen "Sync only checked songs" ? If you have, are the songs you're trying to sync checked in the Music Library?

In the ipod's Music settings, have you chosen to sync "selected playlists, artists, and,genres"? If so, is the Playlist you want to sync checked in the Playlists area?

I can't think of anything else offhand that would stop you from synching a manual playlist.

I can sync manually created playlists but it looks like I can't reorder the tracks unless it is a smart playlist correct?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

^^ You can reorder the tracks if the sort-column is the left-most (the numbered column before the songtitle), that should allow you to drag tracks around, whether the playlist is manual or smart ^^

Haggins posted:

So I've heard there is an iPad book store. Is there a way to access it on a Mac or iPhone? I'm kinda curious to see what books they have.

Maybe with the iPhone OS 4.0 announcement tomorrow.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Not really an itunes question but iPod related. Is there a program like sharepod that will pull down podcasts and load them automatically on my iPod without using iTunes? My laptop is a little bit temperamental and slow so I'd rather not use iTunes.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I recently migrated all my data from one computer to another, and in the process all my music got relocated from drive D to drive E. The physical drive is the same, but the letter is different so iTunes won't see any of my music. Whats the easiest way to fix this? change the drive letters or can I mass "relocate" files? - the file structure and all that hasn't changed if this matters.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just did this. First tell iTunes where you want to store your music, this being the new location. Then import the library ("playlist"). For me, this has no problems.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

EC posted:

evensevenone posted:

Is there a way to make playlists only include full albums? Like I want a smart playlist that contains the 5gb most recently added, but I don't want it to include half an album or a single song from a bunch of albums.

Just tested, and it looks like if you use "Limit to 5 GB selected by album" it will pull in the entire album. The only issue I see is that iTunes doesn't know that it isn't the FULL album, so if you have only 2 songs on a particular album it will put both of those in the playlist.

This is from a while ago, but this just gets the first 5GB of albums alphabetically, not the most recently added albums.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Skip five seconds ahead in song: Option+Command+Right Arrow.
Skip to next album: Shift+Option+Command+Right Arrow.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I leave my 60 gig ipod (4th generation?) in the car to listen to music only. Every so often I plug it into itunes to update and it ALWAYS asks me to restore. It works fine in the car. Restoring and reloading gig's of music is getting annoying though. Anything I'm missing here or is the ipod basically broken and I should stop trying to put new music on it.

dogbomb
Jun 23, 2002

Will Slay Snails For Meso
One of my favourite features appears to have been removed in the current iTunes.

I could right click in the system tray (I minimise iTunes to tray) and rate a song... now I can't seem to be able to do that.

What's the quicket way for me to rate a song now when I'm minimised to tray (I have to open iTunes and rate in the column at the minute)?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

dogbomb posted:

One of my favourite features appears to have been removed in the current iTunes.

I could right click in the system tray (I minimise iTunes to tray) and rate a song... now I can't seem to be able to do that.

What's the quicket way for me to rate a song now when I'm minimised to tray (I have to open iTunes and rate in the column at the minute)?

That's odd. I'm still seeing it in 9.1

maltesh fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 10, 2010

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Is it possible to rip CDs directly to a connected iPod and bypass the process of the tracks being added to the iTunes library?

Should I let CDs rip using the default encoder?

I've never used iTunes with an iPod before so any other tips (in addition to what's in the OP) would be appreciated.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

strayan posted:

Is it possible to rip CDs directly to a connected iPod and bypass the process of the tracks being added to the iTunes library?

Should I let CDs rip using the default encoder?

I've never used iTunes with an iPod before so any other tips (in addition to what's in the OP) would be appreciated.

You cant rip directly to the ipod but the default encoder is 256K AAC, superior to MP3 and is one of the better encoders available for it.

dogbomb
Jun 23, 2002

Will Slay Snails For Meso

maltesh posted:

That's odd. I'm still seeing it in 9.1

Thanks for that. I had a blank space where that menu item was supposed to be. I backed up, uninstalled it, and then reinstalled and it's back in its rightful place. Thanks for the pointer.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Possibly ridiculous question, but Google isn't bringing up anything more recent than last year:

Is the iTunes music store completely DRM-free in Canada, or is that limited to the US store? I'm assuming that since I was able to buy an album, move it to my HTPC and play it in WMC that the DRM must be gone.. But just confirming, here.

Also, is there really any scenario where purchased albums being .m4a instead of .mp3 is going to be an issue? The only device I play music from is my HTPC.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

fidel sarcastro posted:

Possibly ridiculous question, but Google isn't bringing up anything more recent than last year:

Is the iTunes music store completely DRM-free in Canada, or is that limited to the US store? I'm assuming that since I was able to buy an album, move it to my HTPC and play it in WMC that the DRM must be gone.. But just confirming, here.

Also, is there really any scenario where purchased albums being .m4a instead of .mp3 is going to be an issue? The only device I play music from is my HTPC.

.m4p is DRMed music, .m4a is not. The m4a format (AAC, mp4, etc) is supported on most things that play music nowadays, so there shouldn't be a problem for you. If you do have an issue, just convert to mp3.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

chimz posted:

.m4p is DRMed music, .m4a is not. The m4a format (AAC, mp4, etc) is supported on most things that play music nowadays, so there shouldn't be a problem for you. If you do have an issue, just convert to mp3.

Cool, that's about what I figured. Thanks. :)

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Why isn't the album art being displayed for the currently playing track?

It doesn't show on my iPod either.

Also, is there any advantage to changing the Media Type of the This American Life shows from 'Music' to 'Podcast' or 'Audiobook'?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 12, 2010

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

strayan posted:

Why isn't the album art being displayed for the currently playing track?

It doesn't show on my iPod either.

Also, is there any advantage to changing the Media Type of the This American Life shows from 'Music' to 'Podcast' or 'Audiobook'?

You have that album artwork for some or one of the tracks in that album, but not for that particular track. This is useful for something like Nine Inch Nail's "Ghosts" albums, where you have that album art, and then each track has it's own image.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I ran across an interesting problem with iTunes over the weekend:

My HTPC is a Win7 32bit, hooked up via HDMI to my reciever. I rented a movie on iTunes, and when I tried to make it full screen the movie disappears, but you can hear the soundtrack. There's no way to get the movie player to be visible. Every other display mode works fine. It seems to be an issue caused by having the desktop font size set to anything other than default. With the font set to regular, the movie comes right up.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

IUG posted:

You have that album artwork for some or one of the tracks in that album, but not for that particular track. This is useful for something like Nine Inch Nail's "Ghosts" albums, where you have that album art, and then each track has it's own image.

I see. How do I get the tracks without the art to adopt the same art as the rest?

Is it possible to extract the album art picture file from any of the other tracks?

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick
I highly doubt it's possible but is there anyway in iTunes that I can search multiple artists, without excluding the others.

For example if I wanted to shuffle through music from Bob Marley, Nas and Hendrix is there a way I could do that without creating a new playlist?

Basically just type in all three artists without canceling out any of the three from the conflicting search terms?

Apps
Oct 3, 2009

Mike Tysons CARFAX posted:

I highly doubt it's possible but is there anyway in iTunes that I can search multiple artists, without excluding the others.

For example if I wanted to shuffle through music from Bob Marley, Nas and Hendrix is there a way I could do that without creating a new playlist?

Basically just type in all three artists without canceling out any of the three from the conflicting search terms?
Why not just make a smart playlist? It'll take 3 seconds.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

strayan posted:

I see. How do I get the tracks without the art to adopt the same art as the rest?

Is it possible to extract the album art picture file from any of the other tracks?

Get info on the first track in the album. Go to artwork. If it doesn't have artwork, hit the next button until you find the artwork. Then click it, copy the image, hit exit, select the whole album, get info, and paste the album artwork to every track in the album.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Mike Tysons CARFAX posted:

You can select multiple artists in the artists browser column thing, and it'll show you a list of all their songs. You could also tag all their songs with a certain tag, and search for that tag. (Genre or comment field might be a good choice for this) But really, just make a smart playlist. That's what they're for.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

IUG posted:

Get info on the first track in the album. Go to artwork. If it doesn't have artwork, hit the next button until you find the artwork. Then click it, copy the image, hit exit, select the whole album, get info, and paste the album artwork to every track in the album.

Thank you. I did it slightly differently by just dragging the album art onto my desktop then dragging the clipping back in the artwork section.

All beautiful now.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Okay, I want to move my entire iTunes library from one laptop to another. Do move it all I'm just going to use SyncToy because it's easy, but once moved how do I tell iTunes to import the music, all the while keeping all of my tags, my data, my album covers, my ratings, play lists. etc?

Then I also have an iPhone and I want it to sync to this new laptop without losing anything.

How would I accomplish this?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Ziir posted:

How would I accomplish this?

Assuming they're networked, or in target disk mode, or whatever:

1) Drag your iTunes library from the Music folder (or wherever it is) on your old laptop to the Music folder (or wherever you want it) on your new laptop. Wait for the copy to complete.

2) There is no step 2. This really isn't a very complicated operation. *

* If you're going to have some nonstandard location for it (ie. not ~/Music), hold the Option key when you start up iTunes the first time and it'll let you choose the iTunes library from wherever the hell you decided to put it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

strayan posted:

Newer ipods and iphones handle podcasts differently from music files. So if you have one and like how it handles them then it's good to set them to podcast.

Also, it automatically keeps the file out of your music folder so if you're shuffling or using itunes dj, an hour long podcast doesn't come up.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I completely forgot that back in 2007 I purchased Lost Season 2 from iTunes. I went to download it today, but it doesn't appear as an available download when I go into my account settings. However, I've got the receipt of purchase in my purchase history. When I try to download the season from the store, it gives me a warning that my card will be instantly charged. Do I need to email apple, or is there another way to get this to download without having to pay again?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
You need to contact iTunes support. There's no way to re-download iTunes purchases (other than apps) without contacting them.

This is why we back things up.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
Is there a hot key to put me in the search field of iTunes?

Edit: Gah. Nevermind.

http://lifehacker.com/246006/add-search-keyboard-shortcut-to-itunes-on-your-mac

Cmd-Alt-F works, too.

Crush fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

I just drag and dropped a couple of new mp3s into iTunes and it took some time to 'Determine Audio Volume' when importing them to my library.

Does it always do this or is there some option I can change to prevent iTunes from doing it?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 16, 2010