Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ola posted:

How hard can it really be to get two wheel drive on a bike?

Rokons been doing it for years, and in a much cooler form than anyone else :smug:

http://www.rokon.com/about/index.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vs2haa6sOM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ54nsI5Qvg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEMQxGrbTsE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ola posted:

How hard can it really be to get two wheel drive on a bike? If you have the forkless steering as pictured above, you could have a sprocket there too somewhere. And front wheel drive cars manage to put power to a steering wheel, so why not on a bike?

I suppose the answer is lots of mechanical complexity and weight for no real advantage. Engineering rationality! :argh:

I saw an american guy riding a ktm with 2wd in a documentary about last years Erzber rodeo.
some info on it here.
http://cycl.info/bikes/ktm/2wd/

edit.. thats from 2004. but watch Tougher than Iron, i'm pretty sure it was in that.

echomadman fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 13, 2010

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

eggyolk posted:

It's about 90% done now, so yeah, the lack of pegs and presence of a clutch lever are purely laziness.

Glad you guys like it, here's some retarded color studies:

I'm always wary to post anything on the forums for fear of plagiarism so this'll be all for a while.

Aside from being a really cool design study, have you worked out any of the aero that would be associated with this design. I'd imagine that riding this would be all sorts of uncomfortable with more wind buffer than you'd get on a naked bike.

Also you mentioned that this is a thesis project, what's the course?

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Christobevii3 posted:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

c0ldfuse posted:

If I were to put that on my visor, I'd at minimum get a pair of yellow gloves to make the illusion complete.

Wait...do they make yellow riding mittens?

I think I'd get a red helmet just to put a lego face on the visor.

Late edit, but I'm mad at myself for knowing about pipeburn.com but never checking it out until now.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 13, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

*long intake of breath ending in *thump* from passing out*

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Linedance posted:

how the hell is the steering supposed to work? Steer by wire?

Hub centric steering like the Bimota Tesi.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Aargh posted:

wind buffer

what's the course?

It's a product design course at Pratt Institute with a emphasis on kinetic elements expressed through motorcycles. It's not full on motorcycle engineering as much as I'd like it to be, more just a means of practicing various drawing and modeling skills.

There's a windshield that nests flush with the top of the tank, which rises up similar to an active spoiler on a performance car. It's a deign element that came late in the process though and isn't as well integrated as I'd like but it's a bit late to change things.

Third scale model primed:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Does the shark teeth on either side of the front wheel steer with the wheel and move with the suspension?

I would definitely want a lower seat and shorter swingarm, but it's about the modelling excercise of course - the actual mechanics aren't really important. It looks vicious!

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Ola posted:

shark teeth

That's right, they also move according to braking force if that gives any indication to their function.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Thats a friggin huge can of redbull man.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

eggyolk posted:

It's a product design course at Pratt Institute with a emphasis on kinetic elements expressed through motorcycles. It's not full on motorcycle engineering as much as I'd like it to be, more just a means of practicing various drawing and modeling skills.

There's a windshield that nests flush with the top of the tank, which rises up similar to an active spoiler on a performance car. It's a deign element that came late in the process though and isn't as well integrated as I'd like but it's a bit late to change things.

Third scale model primed:

This is just really really cool, I love it.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Dubs posted:

Thats a friggin huge can of redbull man.

I originally thought it was a full size model and had a similar reaction: "Holy crap, where can I get Redbulls in that size?"

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

They're getting close!

http://www.bevnet.com/news/2010/3-29-2010-Red_Bull_adds_special_edition_19_oz_racing_cans

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I'm confused about what this ad is trying to say:

I guess harley riders are pedophiles?

Edit: Or maybe that they don't wear protection.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Jack the Smack posted:

Not if they're in Alabama!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jack the Smack posted:

Jesus. "Buy our motorcycle and gently caress young girls." How dumb can this marketing get?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Decided to buy a shot from the last race, looking forward to the next one in a couple weeks!

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Jack the Smack posted:

Is this a legit ad? Where'd it come from? Seems pretty ridiculous, even for H-D.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

or that the kind of people that ride Harleys have a daughter in grade 10 who's 8 months pregnant?

edit: Oh oh I know! Harley Davidson: There's one born every minute...

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Jack the Smack posted:

I thought riding a Harley was scientifically proven to cause sterility due to the vibration?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Is this a legit ad? Where'd it come from? Seems pretty ridiculous, even for H-D.

There's nothing on the internet of that without the logo being cut off or doctored out. That's the original image.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
if anyone needs to order parts for a bmw, may i recommend max bmw in new hampshire

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

if anyone needs to order parts for a bmw, may i recommend max bmw in new hampshire

are those the replacement final drive bearings?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Linedance posted:

:mmmsmug:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Linedance posted:

:tviv:

drat son

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Linedance posted:

:supaburn:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Linedance posted:

:lol:

A place I used to order VW parts from would always send a bag of m&ms with the orders, too. Kind of a funny business practice, but I guess it stands out.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Linedance posted:

:aaaaa:
It's not a flaw, it's a self lubing feature.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Linedance posted:

Melts on the mount, not in the cams?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Took the RV90 out today with my camera. Click to embiggen.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Great looking pictures. I'd ride the poo poo out of that thing around downtown here.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I want to see a picture of you riding that thing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hughmoris posted:

Great looking pictures. I'd ride the poo poo out of that thing around downtown here.

Thanks. I do ride the poo poo out of it everywhere, its a blast.

Z3n, I have to ask, why?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Phat_Albert posted:

Z3n, I have to ask, why?

I think he thinks it's a bear on a tricycle thing. And *I* am appalled at the suggestion.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Z3n, I have to ask, why?

Because I'm curious about the proprotions of it. I'm 5'11 and can't ride a minibike because of my stupid long torso. 50s are kinda doable, but I'm wondering if something like an RV90 would be in my future. A picture with some good frame of reference would be fine too, if you're camera shy :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The RV is quite a bit bigger than a CRF-50 or something like that. I'm about 6'3" and I dont feel cramped on it. The seat is so long you can make it quite a reach to the bars if you feel like it.

Sadly I dont have any pictures of myself on it that i can sext to you, so here are some pictures of what I can only assume are normal sized people on them. The person on the #164 bike is pretty drat short, but the rest seem normal sized, #164 can straight leg it to put a foot on the ground, which means they're like 5 foot nothing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 15, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I really want a silly bike for city runaround. Something like the RV90 would be perfect.

But in winter time:

Nice setup. Apparently from Trondheim in the 30s, taken from a weather site which can report that the snow is melting a lot earlier than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Jack the Smack posted:

There's nothing on the internet of that without the logo being cut off or doctored out. That's the original image.

I found these after looking for a while. I still don't understand what, if anything, HD is trying to say though.

http://nextround.net/2009/03/09/do-not-send-your-daughter-to-oakwood-girls-high-school/

http://www.vivapixel.com/photo/3277?page=1