Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

brad industry posted:

Don't people film movies in Iceland? Contact your film board and they can tell you where to find stuff like this, that is their job.

Yes, but, it's very informal this kind of stuff. Remember we're a nation of only 320,000 total, on the whole island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

brad industry posted:

Renting from prop houses is surprisingly cheap, you should look into it.

This is a cool idea. I won't be able to do it this time, but I'll keep it in mind for the future. It'd sure be a lot of fun to rent a gigantic larger-than-life Big Boy statue.

Cross_ posted:

The difficult part will be finding something that's 8 ft wide. Fabric for consumers comes in 44" - 60" widths. Sources for cheap fabric: Wal-Mart and Jo-Ann, but you'd have to stitch it together.

This is the truth. I might just go with a single width 45" yard (unless I can convince a friend to do some stitching for me). That will be big enough for single/couple shots, and as for the groups, I guess I'll just end up getting some of the side wall or whatever. This isn't professional or anything, just some drunken fun pretty much.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Tech question: how does a digital camera measure exposure ?
Does it read the values from the sensor for a sample window (say 100x100 pixel), then average the brightness and report it back as over/underexposure based on that average?

Jesus-Christ
Mar 6, 2001
Forum Veteran
To all those struggling to design a website, check out http://lightroom-blog.com/2008/08/lrb-portfolio.html - it really is childsplay and its a couple of bucks most.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cross_ posted:

Tech question: how does a digital camera measure exposure ?
Does it read the values from the sensor for a sample window (say 100x100 pixel), then average the brightness and report it back as over/underexposure based on that average?
In an SLR, there's a separate meter down under the mirror with your AF sensor. depending on whether you set full frame, center weighted, or spot meter, it measures the intensity (luminance) of the light coming in independent of color, and references it against 18% grey. 18% is an exposure value of 0. The problem with this is that 18% grey, will look a bit darker to the human eye than 18% blue, which will look a bit darker than 18% red, which will look a lot darker than 18% green. This is why even Ken Rockwell knows to use the RGB histogram and not the luminance one, which is green channel.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I built a simple lightbox out of a rubbermaid container and some white posterboard so I could take photos of my company's products (industrial electronic equipment.) It works pretty well and I am generally happy with the results. The posterboard has been getting scratched up and the scratches are becoming more and more noticeable in the photos.

I would like to replace the posterboard to get rid of the scratches and I figure I have a few options: buy new posterboard every so often, buy a roll of seamless and cut pieces off the roll as needed, or get vinyl or cloth seamless that is (hopefully??) durable and won't need to be replaced very often.

I am generally trying to get a 100% white background for these shots. I'm not really a photographer and I've never used "real" seamless before. It is apparently usually used hanging from a stand and not inside a box like this. Is it too thin for thin to use as the bottom of a lightbox? I would be setting metal boxes and circuit boards on top of it repeatedly. I don't want to have to replace it all the time.

Would the seamless cloth allow me to keep a 100% white background when taking semi-macro shots up close or will it look patterned? Is the vinyl seamless thin? durable?

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

With seamless paper you'll notice that it's decently thick, but it bends and gets creases through it pretty easily. Which is why you need to tear it off once in a while and roll out some fresh paper. I think it would work fine for what you're doing. I prefer the "super white" over the regular white. I notice with both my white and black seamless paper I have to do a bit of post to make it look black/white. This is a mixture of the fact that I only have 2 lights and don't normally use one to light the background and also that my studio space is too drat small. I don't have any experience with white fabric backgrounds, but I do have a bunch of muslins and solid diamond cloth and I need to keep a steamer on hand to keep them looking decent. I prefer the look of the cloth but it is a super huge pain in the rear end to keep up with. It's also lovely for macro work as you pick up on all the little fibers and hairs sticking off the cloth. You might actually find that the poster board is the easiest/most cost effective way to go.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Thanks for the input. I think I will stick with posterboard for now, it seems like it will cause the least headaches and I can't argue with the price.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Lightroom 2 question:

I've got a working folder on C drive, for new files that I'm still editing, and I've got a storage folder (on an external drive), that's a backup for files I'm done with but want to keep. When I'm done with the files on C and want to move them to the external, how do I also copy over all my lightroom edits?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

jackpot posted:

Lightroom 2 question:

I've got a working folder on C drive, for new files that I'm still editing, and I've got a storage folder (on an external drive), that's a backup for files I'm done with but want to keep. When I'm done with the files on C and want to move them to the external, how do I also copy over all my lightroom edits?

Move the files from within LR.

It will move the files and update the catalog with the new file location.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Should I be converting my CRWs and CR2s to DNGs? I would assume that there's no change in the actual stored data, but do the files get any bigger/do they take more processing power to work with? If the workflow and file size is identical and the only difference is that my images will be in an open format, then I see no reason not to convert everything on import to Lightroom.

FWIW I have a 300D and a 5D mark II.

Also, is there a way to tell LR how to handle movies on a card? I know that I can't store them in the Catalog or anything, but it would be great if I could just tell the thing to toss movies in a separate folder on my disk when it imports a card.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 11, 2010

SquallStrife
Jan 20, 2009

"The Goon" by Metanaut.

I took this photo for a thread on a different forum. I kind of wanted to draw two S shapes over it with my violet laser, obviously failing at keeping a steady hand, but when I pulled up the photos on my computer, I also noticed this:

It's very grainy, and almost looks solarised. What's going on?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I'm planning on wiping my entire laptop so that I can upgrade from 32bit Vista to 64bit Windows 7.

How do I move my entire Lightroom catalog and settings over with the least amount of tears? What files do I save?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SquallStrife posted:

I took this photo for a thread on a different forum. I kind of wanted to draw two S shapes over it with my violet laser, obviously failing at keeping a steady hand, but when I pulled up the photos on my computer, I also noticed this:
Those look like blown highlights. A laser will overexpose your poo poo in no time flat since the light's so concentrated.

SquallStrife
Jan 20, 2009

"The Goon" by Metanaut.

evil_bunnY posted:

Those look like blown highlights. A laser will overexpose your poo poo in no time flat since the light's so concentrated.

Hmm. That makes sense as to why it's quite bright, but still doesn't explain why it's so grainy?

It's like the parts of the photo with the laser were done in 16 colour MS Paint, but the rest is real photo.

:iiam:

Edit: Here's a sample that doesn't look to be overexposed, but still had the grainy-ness.

SquallStrife fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 12, 2010

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say it comes from the diffraction patterns caused by the textured metal of the case.

SquallStrife
Jan 20, 2009

"The Goon" by Metanaut.

evil_bunnY posted:

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say it comes from the diffraction patterns caused by the textured metal of the case.

Hmm. That sounds like it could be true, might try some other surfaces, see if it happens on anything else.

Thanks! :)

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
I got a message on flickr from a guy running a "Czech news service" asking for permission to use some of my riot pics. Of course he can't offer any money so I'm thinking whatever, just let him use them, crediting me and a link to my flickr. Should I go ahead or is this a bad decision? His mail was very copy&pasty so I'm sure a bunch of other guys got the same message.

He's asking to use pics from some of these events:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/unrest_in_thailand.html
(mine are of course nowhere as good as those though)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Ringo R posted:

I got a message on flickr from a guy running a "Czech news service" asking for permission to use some of my riot pics. Of course he can't offer any money so I'm thinking whatever, just let him use them, crediting me and a link to my flickr. Should I go ahead or is this a bad decision? His mail was very copy&pasty so I'm sure a bunch of other guys got the same message.

gently caress no.

Of course he can offer you money. He's just trying to get something for nothing. If he works for a news service, he's going to be earning money off your work for sure.

Ask him for 'standard rates' and see what he offers you.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

SquallStrife posted:

Hmm. That sounds like it could be true, might try some other surfaces, see if it happens on anything else.

Thanks! :)

It is because laser light is a cohesive light. So, when it hits the rough surface of the case (where the rough patches are larger than the wavelength of the light), it is reflected out in a tight ray of light.

Basically, each area in the texture acts as a little mirror. Because laser light doesn't diffuse (in these conditions), the reflections are bright areas when you look at them because they consist of little beams of laser light.

(Specular reflection)

Compare this to normal light where it all blends together (diffuse reflection)

Think of the difference between firing a bunch of arrows at a wall and a stream of water at the wall. With the water, it will all bounce back in a big spray. The arrows will come back as sharp arrows, not a soft pile of sawdust.

Does that explain it?

Oh, and be careful with lasers. It is quite easy to draw patterns onto your retina without noticing it - so be careful what you bounce it off.

SquallStrife
Jan 20, 2009

"The Goon" by Metanaut.

spog posted:

Does that explain it?

Pretty much, yeah. I did guess it would be something simple like that, but then I pondered that the particular wavelength my laser emits (405nm) might be having some kind of bizarre effect on the sensor, or something along those lines.

spog posted:

Oh, and be careful with lasers. It is quite easy to draw patterns onto your retina without noticing it - so be careful what you bounce it off.

Oh absolutely, I never use this laser without the appropriate visor.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

spog posted:

gently caress no.

Of course he can offer you money. He's just trying to get something for nothing. If he works for a news service, he's going to be earning money off your work for sure.

Ask him for 'standard rates' and see what he offers you.

Yep.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Ziir posted:

I'm planning on wiping my entire laptop so that I can upgrade from 32bit Vista to 64bit Windows 7.

How do I move my entire Lightroom catalog and settings over with the least amount of tears? What files do I save?

Your catalog is (by default) located in C:\Users\Ziir\Pictures\Lightroom and everything in there for the catalog. The Photos are in the c:\Users\Ziir\Pictures\2009\ and 2010\ etc. folders be default. You're getting the advice for free so you're on your own, but I think if you move the entire contents of your Pictures folder to an external disk then move it back after the upgrade, you should be fine.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to import shots into an existing LR catalog without removing the library that you're viewing? Every time I take new shots and import from device, it wipes the last batch. I just have them copied into the same folder on import and then import from disk from that folder and all the metadata is intact, but it's kind of annoying. Especially if I just want to import a few shots.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

tuyop posted:

Is there a way to import shots into an existing LR catalog without removing the library that you're viewing?

Not that I'm aware of. Filters are reset when you import (since otherwise you likely wouldn't be able to see your imports), and Previous Import is obviously wiped out.

You're really intended to drill down using filters and then create collections as needed.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 12, 2010

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Can anyone recommend a decent monitor color calibration tool that wont break the bank?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

tuyop posted:

Is there a way to import shots into an existing LR catalog without removing the library that you're viewing? Every time I take new shots and import from device, it wipes the last batch. I just have them copied into the same folder on import and then import from disk from that folder and all the metadata is intact, but it's kind of annoying. Especially if I just want to import a few shots.

Why don't you copy them into separate folders? Seriously, just importing every file into one huge folder?

But to answer your question, I'm pretty sure there's an option to save the current batch you're working with, probably under the "Smart Collections" option. But really, I find it much easier to import each project into a different folder.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah right now I have folders that I dump all of my shots for that month into, then I name and save the ones that I like and process. The backlog keeps piling up, though.

It's obviously not the best way to organize my pictures, you're right.

do it to julia
Jun 19, 2009

by Fistgrrl
What's the standard/reasonable rate for a session for headshots?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

do it to julia posted:

What's the standard/reasonable rate for a session for headshots?

I charge a hundy an hour, including all files, etc

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have my facebook account linked to flickr, so that when I upload things to flicker, it posts a little blurb on facebook.

Is there a way to tag pictures so they dont get posted to facebook as well? I dont necessarily want something going out every single time I post a picture on flickr.

Tziko
Feb 18, 2001

Phat_Albert posted:

I have my facebook account linked to flickr, so that when I upload things to flicker, it posts a little blurb on facebook.

Is there a way to tag pictures so they dont get posted to facebook as well? I dont necessarily want something going out every single time I post a picture on flickr.

Don't make the image public. Or just unlink your accounts, and then manually post a blurb when you want to.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I took a bunch of pictures last night with my new 7D and noticed a lot of noise in most of my pictures like what you can see in the cropped picture below:

1/500s
f/5.7
ISO 1600
400mm

Is there something that I'm doing to get this kind of noise? Not all pictures have it, even at 3200 ISO, but the majority of my pictures from last night are ruined due to it. The red pixels are not so nice. :(

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Why are you even shooting birds in daylight at ISO 1600? It doesn't look like that picture has a lot of movement in it so 1/125 at ISO 400 would've probably been just as good.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

InternetJunky posted:

I took a bunch of pictures last night with my new 7D and noticed a lot of noise in most of my pictures like what you can see in the cropped picture below:

1/500s
f/5.7
ISO 1600
400mm

Is there something that I'm doing to get this kind of noise? Not all pictures have it, even at 3200 ISO, but the majority of my pictures from last night ruined due to it. The red pixels are not so nice. :(

Here's your problem.

That looks like a 100% crop or so. At ISO 1600 you are going to start seeing some nasty chroma noise in the darker parts of the image. This can be mitigated slightly in post, but it's still a stretch. The 7D is a great camera, but it's not a miracle machine and those were some pretty demanding conditions if it really was dark enough to be shooting at 1600.

Next time try shooting in more light?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

sensy v2.0 posted:

Why are you even shooting birds in daylight at ISO 1600?
No idea. I leave my camera ISO to auto because it seems like that's the easiest thing to do. Would I be correct to say I'm screwing up the metering for my camera to be picking ISO 1600?

The picture was taken in a valley with lots of tall trees casting shadows everywhere. The water was a murky brown too.

I'm fine with noise at high ISOs, but not if it's red blotches that are visible even on the uncropped version. Sounds like this is due to a screw-up on my part though, and not something I can expect if I had done everything correctly.

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 18, 2010

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Did you shoot RAW and if so what program did you process them in? I get red red spots like that at high ISO with my 7D sometimes, but lightroom will get rid of them completely at even low noise reduction.

I did almost the same thing with this picture, and it turned out alright:

The other thing you can do is run trough the manual clean process in the menu. You don't really need to clean anything, but somehow it gets rid of red spots. I did it when I first got my 7D, before I did I almost returned the camera for what looked like a whole bunch of hot pixels. Don't know if that will work for you, but give it a try.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
1. Don't shoot ISO 1600 and expect ISO 100 levels of smoothness.
2. Don't pixel peep.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Also check for possible firmware update? Yeah I read that you are only using 1600 but it wouldn't hurt to try.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/firm-e/eos7d/firmware.html

quote:

Firmware Version 1.2.1 incorporates the following improvements and fixes.

1. Extends the timing at which the high temperature warning indicator is displayed and the timing of automatic shut down of the camera due to a rise in internal temperature during Live View or EOS Movie functions.
2. Optimizes program shift when the ISO setting of the camera is set to AUTO.
3. Corrects a misspelling in the French-language menu.
4. Corrects a phenomenon in which vertical magenta-colored banding appears in still images taken in movie-shooting mode.
(This only occurs when in Manual exposure mode and when the ISO speed is set to "H". Note that this phenomenon only affects units with Firmware Version 1.2.0)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

bobfather posted:

1. Don't shoot ISO 1600 and expect ISO 100 levels of smoothness.
2. Don't pixel peep.
I have pictures taken at 3200 that don't have this effect at all, so my expectations are set by that.

What is pixel peeping?