Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
Holy poo poo they're actually releasing Blood? Gog.com for president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Can moo2 be played in a window?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

How badly has Outcast aged? Is it still worth playing without nostalgia glasses? I've been somewhat interested in it since it came out but never actually saw it being sold anywhere so this seems like an excellent opportunity.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005
Dosbox can do IPX over TCP/IP, so if Moo2 is the dos version, it could work.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

Veib posted:

How badly has Outcast aged? Is it still worth playing without nostalgia glasses? I've been somewhat interested in it since it came out but never actually saw it being sold anywhere so this seems like an excellent opportunity.

I can't even tell what type of game it is :(

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Action adventure, like Zelda but more open.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
OHMYGODOHMYGOD ONE UNIT WHOLE BLOOD COMING SOON

Ahem...updating the OP. :)

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

It's sort of a third-person action adventure. Great story, not a lot of focus on combat if I remember, it was more about exploration and talking to these weird humanoid aliens that struck me as Asian stereotypes. This is me trying to drag little shards of memory from 15 years ago though so take it with a grain of salt.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Holy crap they are on a ridiculous tear.

They basically boiled down like 60% of my years between 10-15, configured them to work on modern hardware, and selling them to me at an extremely reasonable price point.

I don't think I am kidding when I say I probably spent 2 years on Master of Magic and Blood alone. I remember making crappy Build Maps, and being ecstatic about them.

Now they need an expansion that turns my office into my parents basement, and my computer into a 75MHZ Compaq Presario

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Gashroom posted:

Dosbox can do IPX over TCP/IP, so if Moo2 is the dos version, it could work.

I've used this to play JA: Deadly Games multiplayer. It's really easy to set up.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Y'know, GoG had been on a drought of sorts of late, but this more than makes up for it

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Holy poo poo, today's games (and prices) are amazing.

That said, I wish there was an easy way to get Outcast to work on a modern LCD without just running in a tiny window in the middle of the screen. 512x384 just doesn't want to play nice with my monitor and it takes away from how gorgeous the game still manages to be. :(

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
Because I got burned with Interstate 76 for not working on Windows 7 after trying all of their solutions, I just want to make sure that Moo 1 and 2 work for Windows 7?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
From the GOG Outcast forum:

GOG Community posted:

http://outcastii.free.fr/FTP/loaderp_eng.zip

Outcast loader + (159 KB) - Now you can play to Outcast in 640x480. VB6 runtime is needed

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Because I got burned with Interstate 76 for not working on Windows 7 after trying all of their solutions, I just want to make sure that Moo 1 and 2 work for Windows 7?

I've played the original version of MoO2 in DosBox on Win 7 64bit, so I don't see why GoG wouldn't get it to work. I even preferred the Dos (and DosBox) version to the native Win95 version of MoO2 when I played it on XP.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

FLX posted:

From the GOG Outcast forum:
I saw that and it does work... somewhat. Text is aligned all wrong, movies seem garbled, and it likes to crash.

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

They're both running under DOSbox so there shouldn't be any issues at all. :)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Blood is still the best game ever made. If you don't have access to it now and don't buy it when it's released you're terrible.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Blood, Duke and Shadow Warrior all owned multi. I played the poo poo out of all 3 in Kali.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
Thanks! Gonna pick this up later today.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Blood was hard as gently caress to get back in the days (in Germany) so it's gonna be a day-one-purchase on GoG for me.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Healbot posted:

Blood was hard as gently caress to get back in the days (in Germany) so it's gonna be a day-one-purchase on GoG for me.

Does Germany have some law about violent games? Did I read that on some bullshit site like Slashdot?

If that's true, does it affect things like GOG?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

rt4 posted:

Does Germany have some law about violent games? Did I read that on some bullshit site like Slashdot?

If that's true, does it affect things like GOG?
As far as I know, you were allowed to play them, but you not allowed to sell them in Germany. Nowadays I think there are no banned games anymore though, only 18+ titles.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 20, 2010

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

FLX posted:

As far as I know, you were allowed to play them, but you not allowed to sell them in Germany. Nowadays I think there are no banned games anymore though, only 18+ titles.

Wolfenstein (not talking about 3D, although it's the same for that game) was banned, because it mentioned Nazis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games#Germany

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

GreenNight posted:

Can moo2 be played in a window?

Yes it can.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I remember like 15 years ago, my mom randomly bought me MoO2. I was only 11 at the time but I was so excited by the concept and could hardly wait to play...too bad my 486 could not run it at the time and it just ended up going back to the store :(

I cannot wait to get home from school today.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Farquar posted:

Yes it can.

:dance:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

sethsez posted:

Holy poo poo, today's games (and prices) are amazing.

That said, I wish there was an easy way to get Outcast to work on a modern LCD without just running in a tiny window in the middle of the screen. 512x384 just doesn't want to play nice with my monitor and it takes away from how gorgeous the game still manages to be. :(
Your GPU should have scaling controls somewhere in its control panel. Make it use GPU scaling instead of relying on the monitor. The GPU can scale any resolution.

You might also need to add 512x384 as a custom resolution.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Yodzilla posted:

Blood is still the best game ever made. If you don't have access to it now and don't buy it when it's released you're terrible.

If you didn't buy it when it was new you're terrible :colbert:

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

If you're having problems with Outcast's music (like I am), just reduce your Direct X sound hardware to basic acceleration.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Spatial posted:

Your GPU should have scaling controls somewhere in its control panel. Make it use GPU scaling instead of relying on the monitor. The GPU can scale any resolution.

But.. voxels or something, couldn't we play it at ANY resolution? Bummer... was looking forward to cranking it and putting these processors to work.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Spatial posted:

For some reason the game insists on running at 640x480 and rending the game in a 512x384 window with black borders rather than just rendering at 512x384, regardless of what .ini I edit (and there are a whole lot of 'em).

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I wonder if the GOG version fixes the problem modern systems get when you try to walk through water/ride one of the animals. You'll have to set your CPU to something pretty low in order to get this to work.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Is MoO1 worth playing over MoO2? I'm an old MoO2 fiend but I've never played the first.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Grawl posted:

I wonder if the GOG version fixes the problem modern systems get when you try to walk through water/ride one of the animals. You'll have to set your CPU to something pretty low in order to get this to work.

In the GOG forums they say that it has been fixed for their release.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

When is Master of Magic, I will kill a man to get it

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Even though I've never finished a game I bought from gog, its time for another round of buying things!

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

When is Master of Magic, I will kill a man to get it

Well, Blood is listed for Thursday, so I would assume next Tuesday at the earliest.

I was enjoying playing Outcast, despite it being a small box in the center of my screen, until the game crashed when I died. I'm so used to games autosaving all of the time anymore that I forgot the golden rule of PC game playing: save all of the time. Time to re-do an hour of gameplay and hope the game doesn't keep crashing when I die.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Blood is the best Build engine game ever made, and I include Duke Nukem in that estimation. I remember being thrilled that I could crank the resolution to 800x600 on my Pentium Pro.

This is awesome. How was the multiplayer for Blood? I never got a chance.

And I don't have a credit card in hand for it yet, but still have a need to place MOO1+2 in a cart anyway.

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!

Shab posted:

Is MoO1 worth playing over MoO2? I'm an old MoO2 fiend but I've never played the first.

I don't know if I'd say it is worth playing -over- MoO2...but, it is worth playing, nonetheless. If you want something a little quicker to kill some time with, I'd say go for it. It is a little less micromanage-y, with build orders, and such. I really love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I have and enjoy Galciv 2. Is MOO 2 just an older version of that or is it hugely different/better and should I get it anyway?